Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

Carbink

Pokedex Number - 703
Type(s) - Rock / Fairy
Base Stats - 50 / 50 / 150 / 50 / 150 / 50

Abilities
Clear Body: User's stats cannot be lowered
Sturdy (DW): User can't be KO'd from full health by an attack.

- Level up moves
Lv01 - Tackle
Lv01 - Harden
Lv05 - Rock Throw
Lv08 - Sharpen
Lv12 - Smack Down
Lv18 - Reflect
Lv21 - Stealth Rock
Lv27 - Guard Swap
Lv31 - Ancient Power
Lv35 - Flail
Lv40 - Skill Swap
Lv46 - Power Gem
Lv49 - Stone Edge
Lv50 - Moonblast
Lv60 - Light Screen
Lv70 - Safeguard

- TMs and HMs compatibility
TM04: Calm Mind
TM17: Protect
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM20: Safeguard
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM29: Psychic
TM32: Double Team
TM33: Reflect
TM37: Sandstorm
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM48: Round
TM64: Explosion
TM69: Rock Polish
TM70: Flash
Tm71: Stone Edge
TM74: Gyro Ball
TM77: Psych Up
TM80: Rock Slide
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM92: Trick Room
TM96: Nature Power
TM99: Dazzling Gleam
TM100: Confide

Potential Movesets

CroBink
Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moon Blast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Take Carbink's attributes and make the most of them, basically. Max out physical defense and then start setting up Calm Minds. Eventually, you might get enough boosts for your Moonblasts to actually do something. This has some serious trouble getting through Steels as not only does Moonblast get resisted by them, but they can't be worn down with Toxic Spikes support either.

Suicide Lead
Carbink @ Light Clay
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Carbink is at the very least capable of getting Screens and Hazards up, assuming it doesn't get taunted first. The idea is to be able to have enough Bulk to SR first turn, then get Reflect and Light Screen up after that to maximize how many turns you'll have screens active. It ends its set-up with Explosion to suicide, and hopefully put a decent chunk of damage into something or break a substitute that may have been set up on it.

Summary
Carbink overall has strong defenses combined with decent (but not great) defensive typing crippled by weak offenses and, at the time of writing, a mediocre movepool that lacks key moves such as a form of reliable recovery. It's not something that looks like it's going to make big waves in the OU meta, but at the very least it's fairly unique.

Last edited:
I hate the fact that this thing is genderless.
If he had a gender maybe he could have recover or wish as an egg move or even spikes/toxik spikes and become really annoying.

Well maybe move tutors in the future can help this guy, I love him so much with its incredible defensive stats (and better HP than shukle)

...so they took Shuckle, changed Bug to Fairy, and made it slightly less extreme in all categories.

I want my old Shuckle back :(
You still have him, if you want to go with Power Trick or some crazy set like that. Personally, I like this more though, because it not being AS extreme affords for some creativity.

This thing is dang near unbreakable in a short period of time. It's a stall pokemon, to be sure, so if stall gets an upswing this generation (And I think it might!), this guy could be seeing some use. As it is... eh, don't expect to see much higher than RU or maybe UU.

The biggest issue with this thing, I find, is that it's even more of a setup fodder than Umbreon. It completely lacks any way to prevent an opponent from coming in and doing whatever they want, even as it sets up screens and stealth rock while remaining nigh unbreakable. The lack of recovery isn't nice either and it's completely vulnerable to taunt. Interesting pokemon stats-wise but it needs more moves!

The biggest issue with this thing, I find, is that it's even more of a setup fodder than Umbreon. It completely lacks any way to prevent an opponent from coming in and doing whatever they want, even as it sets up screens and stealth rock while remaining nigh unbreakable. The lack of recovery isn't nice either and it's completely vulnerable to taunt. Interesting pokemon stats-wise but it needs more moves!
The thing is, this is the same problem as Shuckle. There's no way to make a Shuckle variant able to handle Taunt without going whole hog with Power Trick.

Unless it gets Leech Seed or somesuch through breeding...

Actually, residual damage moves like Wrap and Bind got buffed this gen. At least Infestation now deals 1/8 HP damage at the end of a turn. So binding band Shuckle may actually be able to threaten in sand.

Carbink doesn't get anything like that though, but I guess...it can still try to chip away with moon blast?

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Carbink is a mediocre nu stall mon and nothing more, trust me. Pity, it could've been more, but its terrible offenses and lack of reliable recovery really, really hamper it.

One positive it has over it's rival Shuckle is being able to reliably set up stealth rocks repetitively because of it's rock resist. Not much but if you really need rocks up you got something.

I thought use it like:

Modest @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 S.Atk / 6 Spe
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Safeguard / Stealth Rock

It's just an idea. It can take some hit while set up Calm Mind, safeguard is to prevent poison, burn, etc.

I have to come in here and mention something about this little guy because he is my favorite new poke from this gen. He can learn trick room. That is all.

I think Carbink could make a really good trick room setter in UU. Bonus if sandstorm is up.

Last edited:
Not that anyone actually cares about most obvious non OU mons like Carbink at this point, but I've found a decent niche for it as I've been using it in online rated (special) battles. It counters Vivillon and Talonflame well, resisting both of their dual stabs and hitting them both 4x effectively with STAB power gem or rock tomb (haven't decided which is better yet). Rest talk also lets you bypass Vivillon's nasty compoundeyes sleep powder. Other than that it's kinda crummy. It has huge issues with steel types, being 4x weak to steel and being complete setup fodder for them (especially Aegislash) or anything with taunt. Not to mention it has 4mss, as it can't run both STABs with rest talk + calm mind/toxic. It's pretty much just a slightly less shitty Shuckle in my opinion.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Carbink is a really cool Pokemon but it really needs a movepool boost. But anyway, this thing might be kinda cool to use in Ubers because it can wall most Ho-Oh/Rayquaza/Yveltal, can set-up SR and is one of the only defensive Fairies around. If it had a way to deal with Substitute it'd be neat.

I'm struggling to find a use for this thing myself. When looking at its weaknesses, I am on the fence about even calling its defensive typing decent. The only reason it might be decent at all is its Dragon immunity. Other than that... I don't know. Well, anyway, I'd like to see a good set for this thing. It's certainly pretty cool, but I think most people would go with Forry or Ferrothorn over him. I think its best use is as a suicide lead. The CroBink set really isn't compelling for me.

Carbink is a mediocre nu stall mon and nothing more, trust me. Pity, it could've been more, but its terrible offenses and lack of reliable recovery really, really hamper it.
Carbink has interesting typing but as you say his lack of decent recovery hinders it greatly. At least give it moonlight since GF changed that move to fairy. His offensive stats I doubt any of us should even look at.

It counters Vivillon and Talonflame well, resisting both of their dual stabs and hitting them both 4x effectively with STAB power gem or rock tomb (haven't decided which is better yet). Rest talk also lets you bypass Vivillon's nasty compoundeyes sleep powder. Other than that it's kinda crummy.
This much is true it does easily counter these two pokemon and the other Bug/Flying and Flying types in low tier with a few exceptions. Talonflame, firstly, may go as high as UU because of Gale Wings and its movepool. Also Carbink still takes 2x from Water and Grass type attacks which many guys carry.

I'm struggling to find a use for this thing myself. When looking at its weaknesses, I am on the fence about even calling its defensive typing decent. The only reason it might be decent at all is its Dragon immunity.
I think despite his high defenses Carbink will have to worry most about Earthquakes and water/grass type moves. His saving grace and curse is that he is 4x weak to steel but there are only 3 offensive Steel types in NU (metang, mawile, and klang) and one has the possibility moving up a tier. With good team support its possibly Carbink can do well (example use Sawsbuck or maybe even Offensive Lapras)

Calcs would help if someone could do that.

edit: if you need something to compare it to look at Probopass but remember Probo takes 4x to ground and fighting while Carbink takes neutral from fighting and 2x from ground

Manaphy

I don't really understand how the Steel weakness is that crippling, Steel is a very rare type offensively and it's pretty easy to find a resistive partner.

ATM I'm thinking Carbink's main niche will be it's very nice defensive stats and typing, as it allows it to straight up check a lot of things. I just wish it had more than Screens, Rocks, or Toxic to do in that time; Carbink really wants like Roar or Spikes or something.

I don't really understand how the Steel weakness is that crippling, Steel is a very rare type offensively and it's pretty easy to find a resistive partner.

ATM I'm thinking Carbink's main niche will be it's very nice defensive stats and typing, as it allows it to straight up check a lot of things. I just wish it had more than Screens, Rocks, or Toxic to do in that time; Carbink really wants like Roar or Spikes or something.
On part 1) Steel is very rare but what i meant was it still takes lots of damage from Klang and Metang should it have to face one in NU. So yes like I said with good team support overall Carbink has less to worry about.

Part 2) I think DualScreening is a perfect niche for Carbink in NU or running just a defensive spread with Rocks and Toxic. Without fair recovery you can utilize a CM set all that well anyways

Manaphy

On part 1) Steel is very rare but what i meant was it still takes lots of damage from Klang and Metang should it have to face one in NU. So yes like I said with good team support overall Carbink has less to worry about.

Part 2) I think DualScreening is a perfect niche for Carbink in NU or running just a defensive spread with Rocks and Toxic. Without fair recovery you can utilize a CM set all that well anyways
Naw Steel attacks are just pretty rare in general, maybe more common in OU. I feel like Carbink will be one of those Pokemon that ends up in like RU/NU/UU but is still somewhat usable in higher tiers.

A Mono-attacking Calm Mind set is actually really usable because Fairy gets good coverage and Carbink doesn't care about Fire and Poison types, and has the pure defensive stats to do it. You'll obviously have to take out Steels but I think like Moonblast/CM/Rest/Sleep Talk with investment in Defense is a possible set for lower tiers.

Naw Steel attacks are just pretty rare in general, maybe more common in OU. I feel like Carbink will be one of those Pokemon that ends up in like RU/NU/UU but is still somewhat usable in higher tiers.

A Mono-attacking Calm Mind set is actually really usable because Fairy gets good coverage and Carbink doesn't care about Fire and Poison types, and has the pure defensive stats to do it. You'll obviously have to take out Steels but I think like Moonblast/CM/Rest/Sleep Talk with investment in Defense is a possible set for lower tiers.
Yea I do see your point with Steel rarity. I dont think i can see him as high as UU but definitely after just using him in an RU against my buddy this is great. This was the set i ran because i simply enjoy it more

Clear Body Leftovers
Calm 252def 252spdef 4hp
-Stealth Rocks
-PowerGem
-Moonblast
-Toxic

If Carbink can get Moonlight as an egg move or something then I would officially have a new wall for RU. PowerGem did 50% to standard Aerodactyl and it would wall Typhlosion easy. Even in RU the only real things id have to worry about are EQ and Stab Water/Grass moves.

Manaphy

For a set like that you'll probably want to maximize your HP EV's, generally the lower the HP stat and the higher Defenses you'll want to maximize HP and vice versa.

About egg moves, sadly this thing is gender-less so the moves listed are it.

Yea I do see your point with Steel rarity. I dont think i can see him as high as UU but definitely after just using him in an RU against my buddy this is great. This was the set i ran because i simply enjoy it more

Clear Body Leftovers
Calm 252def 252spdef 4hp
-Stealth Rocks
-PowerGem
-Moonblast
-Toxic

If Carbink can get Moonlight as an egg move or something then I would officially have a new wall for RU. PowerGem did 50% to standard Aerodactyl and it would wall Typhlosion easy. Even in RU the only real things id have to worry about are EQ and Stab Water/Grass moves.
egg moves for genderless pokemon?
Yeah not gonna happen.
If he had a gender wish or recover could be in its arsenal and he could be a great wall.

egg moves for genderless pokemon?
Yeah not gonna happen.
If he had a gender wish or recover could be in its arsenal and he could be a great wall.
Lol didnt pay attention to it having no gender. Still i would complain to GF for changing Moonlight into a Fairy move and not giving it to Carbink

edit: having used Carbink in RU is best friend would be Rotom-W who covers all of Carbink's weaknesses

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)