Battle Mechanics Research

^I did a little bit on CHs on the previous page, if that helps you out at all. Includes my results from using a non-sniper venoshock on a skorupi getting really close to 1.5x, with sniper venoshock getting somewhat close to the expected 2.25x
Yeah I skimmed over that a bit. I actually figured Sniper would put it to x2 instead of x2.25 so that's good to know.

If Sniper now makes Critical Hits deal 2.25x of normal damage now that the standard multiplier is 1.5x, then one can simply conclude that Sniper increases Critical Hit damage by 50%, instead of being a fixed multiplier

If Sniper now makes Critical Hits deal 2.25x of normal damage now that the standard multiplier is 1.5x, then one can simply conclude that Sniper increases Critical Hit damage by 50%, instead of being a fixed multiplier
Yeah, I alluded to that as well.

And with nerfing of crits means nerfing of Sniper. Kind of. Sniper didn't really change, it just multiplies with a 1.5x bonus to the base critical multiplier (Which used to be 2x, but is now 1.5x)
Its always been multiplying by 1.5, its just that we haven't had a critical damage adjustment until now, so Sniper could have been mistaken as a set number until now.
2 * 1.5 = 3x (Gen V)
1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25x (Gen VI)

That and sniper being consistent between generations makes it much easier to code into the game.

A trick question for the day:

Q. Does Pixilate/Refigerate activate when you use Nature's Power and it turns into Tri-Attack?

dont know if it is confirmed but i read somewhere, that shadow tag Chandelure was a lie and Lampants (and chandelures) hidden ability is Infriltator.

dont know if it is confirmed but i read somewhere, that shadow tag Chandelure was a lie and Lampants (and chandelures) hidden ability is Infriltator.
It wasn't a lie, BW's code specifically has it for Shadow Tag. And Scolipede for Quick Feet

These were either changed or the pokemon got a second hidden ability

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't see it posted in this topic so I'll post it here.

Mat Block has a priority of 0.
Allies can still use Protect just fine the turn after their partner has used Mat Block.

EDIT: Tried using Mat Block followed by Protect with my Greninja. 10 tries, 10 successful Protects. So it seems that you ARE able to use Protect just fine immediately after using Mat Block

Last edited:
Anyone free to check if flashfire persists through mega? Unless its been confirmed

I didn't see it posted in this topic so I'll post it here.
Mat Block has a priority of 0.
Allies can still use Protect just fine the turn after their partner has used Mat Block.
EDIT: Tried using Mat Block followed by Protect with my Greninja. 10 tries, 10 successful Protects. So it seems that you ARE able to use Protect just fine immediately after using Mat Block
From the wording it actually sounded like the specific protects could just be spammed, i guess they just used schizoid phrasing

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anybody tested if Trick-Or-Treat AND Forest's Curse can be used on the same Pokemon (Possibly giving 4 types to it?) Or would it just fail after one's been used?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
From the wording it actually sounded like the specific protects could just be spammed, i guess they just used schizoid phrasing
Well... Mat Block can only be used on the first turn a Pokemon is active, like Fake Out. So you can Mat Block and then Protect, to avoid damaging moves for the first two turns, provided that you were faster when using Mat Block, but you'll need to switch out if you want to use Mat Block again.

EDIT:
Has anybody tested if Trick-Or-Treat AND Forest's Curse can be used on the same Pokemon (Possibly giving 4 types to it?) Or would it just fail after one's been used?
Pumpkaboo uses Trick-or-Treat on a Furfrou.
Phantump uses Forest Curse on the same Furfrou.

Pumpkaboo then uses Return, while Phantump uses Leech Seed.
Return hits. Leech Seed fails. The Furfrou was Grass Type, and not Ghost Type.

I then try using Trick-or-Treat again, along with Leech Seed.
Leech Seed succeeds. The Furfrou lost its Grass Type, and became Ghost Type.

Conclusion: Using Trick-or-Treat will overwrite the usage of Forest Curse, and vice versa. As such, you can only add one Type to a target Pokemon. Trying to add another will replace the previously added Type.

Last edited:
Is the Sitrus Berry glitch fixed? In Gen V there was a glitch that Sitrus Berry does not activate if a Pokémon hit itself in confusion.

Does Feint go through King's Shield? Will Aegislash's form still change then? Does it remove Crafty Shield and Mat Block?

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Fire moves no longer thaw you if you are frozen. Just had my Delphox frozen by the Veteran at the end of victory road with her Glaceon and used flamethrower and couldn't thaw out.

Can anyone else confirm this, I dont remember if this was in Gen V or not.

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but I don't know where else to post this and I think it's very important:

You can go to the Move Relearner and relearn egg moves.

View attachment 2259
I've been told that this wasn't the case in previous games. The implications for this are huge - it means you can be more flexible with movesets and don't have to preserve the egg move throughout the entire life of the Pokemon.

Note: This works regardless of if the egg move was accidentally overwritten while in Daycare, or if you intentionally overwrite it with a TM.
This would allow Pokémon which evolve with a certain move like Tangrowth and Lickilicky having one egg move more.

It seems that Freeze Dry might have around %30 Freezing chance. Can anybody confirm(well, as much as possible anyways) this?

Edit: It doesn't seem that Banette's Prankster kicks in in the turn of Mega Evolution:

ShadowOfICe said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but my friend and I discovered something interesting last night.

I went and used a Mega-Banette against my friend in battle, giving it a test. On the turn iI evolved it into it's Mega form, I chose to use Substitute as well. Now as we know, Prankster kicks in on it's evolution, and takes effect immediately. Sadly, that wasn't the case for my poor ghost pokemon, as he ate a Toxic before the substitute could even come out.

Sure enough, the -next- turn, Mega-Banette went first, but on the turn of it's Mega-evolution, it went second.

So my friend and I took a controlled enviroment, tested it again with a speedy pokemon of his, used surf on the same turn I evolved and through out a thunder wave, and sure enough, he went first again.

Curious, we tested other Mega's, who's ability -did- take effect on the same turn they evolved.

I'm calling program error here in the turn order that Game Freak must have overlooked and should be informed to patch in the future, because there's no reason Banette -who's already had years of misfortune in NU- should get a Mega that doesn't work properly.

Sure, I can throw protect out on that first turn of evolution, but I shouldn't have to. xP

Anyway! I just wanted to throw this out there if no one noticed it.
Sauce.

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Fire moves no longer thaw you if you are frozen. Just had my Delphox frozen by the Veteran at the end of victory road with her Glaceon and used flamethrower and couldn't thaw out.

There are only a handful of Fire Moves that thaw the user if the user is Frozen, and Flamethrower was not among them. Fire attacks thaw victims who are frozen.

I'm pretty sure it was only certain Fire moves that would thaw out the user (Flame Wheel, Flare Blitz, that sort of thing), whereas being hit by any Fire move would thaw you out.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is the Sitrus Berry glitch fixed? In Gen V there was a glitch that Sitrus Berry does not activate if a Pokémon hit itself in confusion.

Does Feint go through King's Shield? Will Aegislash's form still change then? Does it remove Crafty Shield and Mat Block?
Mat Block is apparently +0 priority, so no, in theory Feint would not remove it. I'll see if I can find a Feint user to test this with later.

Thanks to Destiny Knot I was able to get a flawless ProFroakie, its hidden power is Dark.
For what it may be worth, I had also been checking the HP type for every (~90) hatchling and none of them had Fairy, but the distribution of IVs wasn't very uniform due to inheritance, and ~90 rolls for a possibly 1/64 chance isn't sufficient to rule it out anyway.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know if this is how it used to work, but Pressure now causes the attacking mon to lose 2 PP even if the move misses.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Magician will also not activate if the user hits the target with an attack on the same turn it consumes its held item, in this case Braixen consumed Normal Gem using Return and hit Florges holding Pixie Plate and Magician did not activate.

Edit: The property of being trapped can still be passed via Baton pass.

Battle Video: XGXW-WWWW-WWWX-HVNX

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)