Pokémon Trevenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id place all those HP Evs into your attack and SpD. The point of low HP with the Sitrus berry is that it will restore a greater percentage of your health which is what you want for your substitutes. also your attack will raise much higher and faster with PuP. Check what I posted above its far stronger and bulkier. What mon are you outspeeding?
I see. I'm not that experienced with making up my own sets (as you might've seen just now). Thank you for the tips, I will definitely adjust my poké to this. And I outspeed CB scizor and CB TTar. Since I run same speed EVs as the build on the main page. (and there it says that it outspeeds CB scizor + ttar)

I see. I'm not that experienced with making up my own sets (as you might've seen just now). Thank you for the tips, I will definitely adjust my poké to this. And I outspeed CB scizor and CB TTar. Since I run same speed EVs as the build on the main page. (and there it says that it outspeeds CB scizor + ttar)
Do not. Hit points investment is in all sans snorlax blissey etcetera better then investing in a defense instead.

Id place all those HP Evs into your attack and SpD. The point of low HP with the Sitrus berry is that it will restore a greater percentage of your health which is what you want for your substitutes. also your attack will raise much higher and faster with PuP. Check what I posted above its far stronger and bulkier. What mon are you outspeeding?
No, it won't. Sitrus restores 25% no matter what, and Substitutes cost 25%. Sitrus is always worth one Substitute.

You can only manipulate percentage HP gain that way by pairing Substitute with draining moves like Leech Seed. Granted, the set runs Horn Leech, but you won't get the kind of regeneration you'd need to actually sustain Trevenant that way.

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SDef / 120 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wood Hammer / Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
I'm amazed that no one seems to have acknowledged this set yet. I was reading through this thread with all the talk of Sitrus Harvest and whatnot, and I can hardly believe that Shroomisaur seems to be the only one who agrees with me that Harvest LumRest far outclasses any of Trevenant's other recovery options (insofar as defensive sets go in any case).

I'm amazed that no one seems to have acknowledged this set yet. I was reading through this thread with all the talk of Sitrus Harvest and whatnot, and I can hardly believe that Shroomisaur seems to be the only one who agrees with me that Harvest LumRest far outclasses any of Trevenant's other recovery options (insofar as defensive sets go in any case).
I think the general consensus is that he's too slow/fragile to do this. I think he needs the extra recovery from sitrus harvest.

With this set he'll probably get killed before he can pull off a rest to recover. Someone did comment on it last page I believe.

I think the general consensus is that he's too slow/fragile to do this. I think he needs the extra recovery from sitrus harvest.

With this set he'll probably get killed before he can pull off a rest to recover. Someone did comment on it last page I believe.
You'll forgive me if I'm a bit confused as to how one of those can outclass the other, or how an instant full-HP recovery move can be inferior to passive 25% healing. By your logic as I understand it, if he's too 'fragile' to take any number of attacks, be it one or more, and subsequently rest it off, then I think it's safe to say that he's too fragile to rely on the occasionally-recycled Sitrus for recovery.

I think I did miss that post, though. By all means if that person argued it better please link me to it.

You'll forgive me if I'm a bit confused as to how one of those can outclass the other, or how an instant full-HP recovery move can be inferior to passive 25% healing. By your logic as I understand it, if he's too 'fragile' to take any number of attacks, be it one or more, and subsequently rest it off, then I think it's safe to say that he's too fragile to rely on the occasionally-recycled Sitrus for recovery.

I think I did miss that post, though. By all means if that person argued it better please link me to it.
It was this

A problem with the rest/lum/harvest set is that starmie has a decent chance to 2hko it with ice beam thanks to the lack of leftovers recovery- guaranteed with stealth rock or spikes (assuming the calcs posted earlier are correct).

It was this
Got it, that makes sense. Although, for all other situations and general recovery (not to mention status impunity as you lose that with anything but NC or LumHarvest, which is arguably superior to the former), LumRest does seem rather better.

Or is status just not an issue with him? I haven't tested in anything but the actual game, so perhaps it isn't (although people seem to think that it is, judging by this thread's responses).

Got it, that makes sense. Although, for all other situations and general recovery (not to mention status impunity as you lose that with anything but NC or LumHarvest, which is arguably superior to the former), LumRest does seem rather better.

Or is status just not an issue with him? I haven't tested in anything but the actual game, so perhaps it isn't (although people seem to think that it is, judging by this thread's responses).
I'm really not sure whats best for this guy. LumRest probably is viable on him he just won't be as much of a spin blocker. Personally I wanna test out things with natural cure since its not weather dependent and he could soak up status for his team mates. Sitrus harvest is probably the best spin blocking set though.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

My issue with this is that if he's too slow/fragile to pull off Rest+Lum, he's too slow/fragile to pull off sub+sitrus. I say that from experience using the exact same strategy with Exeggutor in NU. If Trevenant doesn't have the defenses to avoid a 2HKO, neither sitrus and a painfully slow substitute, nor Lum+Rest is going to save him. The biggest problem with sub+sitrus is that it's horribly unreliable, with only a 50% chance, you can't just assume you'll be able to sub all day long. Whereas with Rest, you get to full HP which should be enough to make you last another two turns, giving you better odds that your berry will be back. Not to mention, this strategy completely protects you from status.

However, it's a good point that Trevenant is too frail, even with full defenses, to last in OU. Also, it looks like spinblocking is going to be MUCH less important now with the Defog buff. Because of this I don't think Trevenant will be able to cut it in OU without a real role to fill. In the lower tiers, a Lum+Rest strategy will work much more effectively due to the lower power.

My issue with this is that if he's too slow/fragile to pull off Rest+Lum, he's too slow/fragile to pull off sub+sitrus. I say that from experience using the exact same strategy with Exeggutor in NU. If Trevenant doesn't have the defenses to avoid a 2HKO, neither sitrus and a painfully slow substitute, nor Lum+Rest is going to save him. The biggest problem with sub+sitrus is that it's horribly unreliable, with only a 50% chance, you can't just assume you'll be able to sub all day long. Whereas with Rest, you get to full HP which should be enough to make you last another two turns, giving you better odds that your berry will be back. Not to mention, this strategy completely protects you from status.

However, it's a good point that Trevenant is too frail, even with full defenses, to last in OU. Also, it looks like spinblocking is going to be MUCH less important now with the Defog buff. Because of this I don't think Trevenant will be able to cut it in OU without a real role to fill. In the lower tiers, a Lum+Rest strategy will work much more effectively due to the lower power.
Yea this is all probably very true. I love his design but he probably isn't OU material. I want to try and use him with natural cure with his primary role being switching on to absorb status and not spin blocking necessarily but even there other mons probably do it better.

I'm not good with competitive battling but was interested in the topic and was wondering if Ingrain had some use with Trevenant now that the upgrade to ghost types allow it to switch out? o.o

Sitrus Berry was supposed to explicitly be used with Substitute to help fuel HP for more subs. There should be enough Fighting moves lying around to get a free switch in and throw up a Sub on the switch and, depending on the team you know he has and will likely counter with, a burn. The burn is what's going to help your defenses and time to throw up Subs and Horn Leech. I haven't been able to build one yet but that is how he should be used IMO, regardless of the tier he ends up in.

The biggest counter to this obviously is Infiltrator Crobat, 4x resisting PuP and Horn Leech and able to hit through your Sub.

I'm not good with competitive battling but was interested in the topic and was wondering if Ingrain had some use with Trevenant now that the upgrade to ghost types allow it to switch out? o.o
Has it been confirmed that Ghosts can switch out of Ingrain? If so, that's pretty interesting, but it'd just make it like Aqua Ring, which isn't that great.

Has it been confirmed that Ghosts can switch out of Ingrain? If so, that's pretty interesting, but it'd just make it like Aqua Ring, which isn't that great.
Compounded with any combination of Leftovers/Leech Seed/Horn Leech/Sitrus Berry it could potentially go a long way, especially with Grassy Terrain boosting Grass attacks and HP regeneration effects.

Used it on Trevenant and switched out to another pokemon in battle without it saying anything about unable to switch out. Tested it in a wild battle by using ingrain first and then switching out after it used it. Though ingrain disappears after it switches out.

Compounded with any combination of Leftovers/Leech Seed/Horn Leech/Sitrus Berry it could potentially go a long way, especially with Grassy Terrain boosting Grass attacks and HP regeneration effects.
Ah okies, thank you ^^

Oh Trevenant I love this guy he's been so useful with me experimenting with new Gen 6 Trick Room pokemon. Honestly I'd keep that Phantom Force on him! Dealing with Aegislash Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, Kings Shield, Swords Dance builds have been pretty linear stall and boring but good ole Trevenant with a Power Herb just spits in a Aegislash setting up! Break that King Shield and KO that pesky blade

My Set up was
Trevenant
Natural Cure
EV 252 Atk (split the rest for Hp and Def)
Brave @ Power Herb
Horn Leech
Phantom Force
Earthquake
Rest
(This is all under the support of Trick Room)

Trevenant kind of reminds me of parallel universe version of Exeggutor. Similarities are:Both Trees
Harvest as Hidden Ability
High Stat in Either kind of attack
Similar Speed and HP (Exeggutors is only higher by a little bit)
Similar Defense stats, if flipped

The differences are:
Secondary Typing (Psychic vs Ghost)
Defensive/attacking types (Exegg is physically bulky special attacker and Trev is Specially bulky physical attacker)
Exeggutor if he wanted to can run a mixed set a lot more effectively
Chlorophyll vs Natural Cure as effective normal ability

That being said, I can see Trevenant being a decent Specially defensive Sub/Seeder. His defenses aren't great, but his typing is better than Exeggutors and his stab allows him to to hit more Pokemon for neutral damage (in terms of psychic/ghost, I'm not even mentioning grass since they both have a grass type and it's resisted by 7 types)

Trevenant @ Lum / Sitrus Berry | Harvest
Careful | 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def
Substitute | Leech Seed | Shadow Claw | Rest / Will-O-Wisp

This set takes advantage of Trevenants decent bulk and allows him to set up on a switch (if switched in on a resisted move). The set works exactly like Exeggutor, with the exception of Will-O-Wisp. that helps take care of his lack of physical investment. I also put the RestLum combo of move/berry in there. I don't know if Lum Berry cures sleep from Rest like it did in Gen 5, but it's worth putting. Otherwise, If using Will-O-Wisp, I'd just use a sitrus berry.

Another alternate version of the same set:

Trevenant @ Big Root | Natural Cure
Careful | 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def
Substitute | Leech Seed | Shadow Claw | Ingrain / Will-O-Wisp

The Second Set is kind of the same, but using Natural Cure and Big Root to make survivablility a bit longer. Will-O-Wisp has the same role in the second set, but if you want to REALLY troll the other team (if they don't have grass types of course) use Ingrain.

Last edited:
IMO Trevenant stat and type wise is RU at best. Personally, this is great cause I mainly only play low tier but I think his best set will be an Offensive Lum/Harvest set. In-game Phantom Force is your best friend while competitively it can be predicted around though I still like it better than Shadow Claw. My set that I use on an RU/NU gen VI team is:
Lum Berry/Harvest
Adament 200HP 252Att 56Spd
-WoodHammer
-Powerup Punch
-PhantomForce
-Rest

As stated before Lum/Harvest/Rest covers status and if on an NU sun team this makes it all the more powerful. Speed EV is to allow it to get decent hits in or rest when needed. PhantomForce you can change ofcourse to ShadowClaw im just loving that noone so far realizes this is ShadowForce without Giratina. You can also however run a substitute set with sitrus or try running a bulky/wallish set with rest and natural cure

Oh Trevenant I love this guy he's been so useful with me experimenting with new Gen 6 Trick Room pokemon. Honestly I'd keep that Phantom Force on him! Dealing with Aegislash Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, Kings Shield, Swords Dance builds have been pretty linear stall and boring but good ole Trevenant with a Power Herb just spits in a Aegislash setting up! Break that King Shield and KO that pesky blade

My Set up was
Trevenant
Natural Cure
EV 252 Atk (split the rest for Hp and Def)
Brave @ Power Herb
Horn Leech
Phantom Force
Earthquake
Rest
(This is all under the support of Trick Room)
I forgot phantom force hits through protect/detect and I guess that includes kings shield. Makes the move a little more interesting for sure.

With leech seed, leftovers, and ingrain how much can he recover in one turn? I'm thinking about using him with a ferrothorn so he would set up the leech seed then trevenant would switch in.

I forgot phantom force hits through protect/detect and I guess that includes kings shield. Makes the move a little more interesting for sure.

With leech seed, leftovers, and ingrain how much can he recover in one turn? I'm thinking about using him with a ferrothorn so he would set up the leech seed then trevenant would switch in.
If your carrying a Big Root an insane amount, and a pretty good amount if you do the math (idk the numbers so don't ask me lol) On my SubSeed Set I wanted to use Horn Leech but again there are like 7 things that resist grass so yeah...

If your carrying a Big Root an insane amount, and a pretty good amount if you do the math (idk the numbers so don't ask me lol) On my SubSeed Set I wanted to use Horn Leech but again there are like 7 things that resist grass so yeah...
I think leftovers would be better than the root cause you would always benefit form leftovers, you only benefit from the root when using a draining move. And yea grass offense not the best but there are allot of water types out there.

I think wil o wisp, ingrain, power up punch, shadow claw/horn leech might be interesting. If you burn something then with ingrain/leftovers recovery your not gonna be taking much damage so you could start boosting with power up punch. If he gets burned or anything he can just switch out and set up again later since this set would use natural cure.

Also phantom force is kind of interesting since it could work like a pseudo protect and that might actually be useful with ingrain/leftovers going. Also as pointed out above you can hit agieslash through kings shield with it. Still might not be that great though I'm not sure. I guess it depends on weather or not treveant can survive 1 shadow sneak form ageislash. If he can then you could phantom force on the first turn and then agieslash would have to switch out or be garunteed to take some good damage.

Superstall Trevenant
Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / the rest
Impish/Careful/Adamant Nature
- Ingrain
- Phantom Force
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest/Wood Hammer/???

Just a rough idea of a set based around ingrain. wisp the switchin, ingrain, then stall with force. Thanks to wisp you'll probably want sp. def over def evs. Not sure how much speed you would want though. Outspeeding slower threats is very good since you can get a surprise dodge on their attacks as well as wisp them before they hit you, but at the same time if they predict the force you want to be able to outslow whatever resist they bring in. Also not sure what balance of offense and defense I want. Whether or not this is better than seeding is iffy.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Superstall Trevenant
Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / the rest
Impish/Careful/Adamant Nature
- Ingrain
- Phantom Force
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest/Wood Hammer/???

Just a rough idea of a set based around ingrain. wisp the switchin, ingrain, then stall with force. Thanks to wisp you'll probably want sp. def over def evs. Not sure how much speed you would want though. Outspeeding slower threats is very good since you can get a surprise dodge on their attacks as well as wisp them before they hit you, but at the same time if they predict the force you want to be able to outslow whatever resist they bring in. Also not sure what balance of offense and defense I want. Whether or not this is better than seeding is iffy.
I hate to say it, but there's no reason to run Ingrain. 1/16 HP per turn is not worth a moveslot and a wasted turn in battle, during which your opponent could be switching to a counter or boosting in your face. Leech Seed is better than Ingrain, but even then, Trevenant is outclassed as a sub-seeder by Gourgeist and most other Grass-types.

The same goes for Phantom Force, which is a huge "please set up on me!" flag for your opponent. Seriously, Trevenant has NO use for Phantom Force at all, because he has Shadow Claw (I'm sure I already said that in this thread somewhere).

Beyond the OP sets, the only set that might have potential is the Power-Up punching set in the lower tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)