Other New Notable Egg Move Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For anyone who didn't know, female parents are able to pass down egg moves in 6th gen. This means that any egg move combo is available on any Pokemon that gets egg moves. This thread's purpose is to discuss which of the new egg move combos will be significant enough to act as direct buffs to a Pokemon and increase its potential in the metagame it resides, and why you think they will be significant. You are allowed to discuss about any new egg move combo that you think will even slightly buff a Pokemon, regardless if this Pokemon is OU material or not. This thread is not to talk about new egg moves for old Pokemon, it is to talk about combinations of existing egg moves for old Pokemon that couldn't be used in the same moveset due to egg move restrictions.

Egg Move Combos List

Aqua Jet + Belly Drum: This move combo can turn Azumarill from a strong wallbreaker to a great cleaner that can KO most offensive Pokemon neutral to Water moves and even some that resist it. Good natural bulk and priority in the form of Aqua Jet give to Azumarill the option to invest in its HP to make setting up not that hard, even with such a risky move as Belly Drum.

Sleep Powder + Spikes + Leaf Storm: Roserade is probably the Pokemon that was hurt the most by the previous restrictions of egg moves. However, now it can unlock its full potential and use all three moves in one set, making for a very solid offensive Spikes setter that can put something to sleep and even scare away the Grass-types looking to absorb sleep with Sludge Bomb.

Weather Ball + Power Whip: Mixed sets can have stronger coverage on Sunny Day / Sun sweeping sets, which is especially appreciated because of the nerf to Hidden Power.

Brave Bird + Hypnosis: In addition to being able to attack Pokemon behind Subs, Crobat can even cripple the Pokemon whose Sub can't break with Hypnosis. Great crippling move in general, especially on a Pokemon with such a big Speed stat that somewhat mitigates Crobat's lack of power and coverage. Low accuracy makes this a high risk-high reward kind of strategy though. Also, with the new Defog mechanics, Defog will be a very viable option on Crobat, which will enjoy using a Hypnosis with boosted accuracy.

Quick Attack + Close Combat: Both Pinsir and Mega Pinsir can use both moves together on Swords Dance sets. I don't think that Close Combat has any reason to be used over Earthquake, but it might have some use.
Encore + Spikes: Now Accelgor can beat any Rapid Spin user that comes in to get rid of Spikes, even those that resist Bug Buzz, by Encoring Rapid Spin and then slowly wearing the spinner down (Tentacruel, Cryogonal, Mega Blastoise). So the opponent has to choose whether he wants his spinner to die for nothing, or to let at least one layer of Spikes up and switch out to something that can handle Accelgor. Encore is also a great move on such a fast Pokemon, and being able to use its arguably two best moves on the same set is great.

Wish + Perish Song: Although Wigglytuff was a worthless Pokemon even in NU in 5th gen, it has gotten many notable boosts in 6th gen. Additional Fairy-typing, a 10 base SpA boost, and the ability to use Wish + Perish Song on defensive sets may make it good enough to at least see some considerable use in NU. After all, a solid typing, a fantastic HP stat for a Wish user, decent defenses, and the scarce and useful for stall teams Perish Song are not traits that you can find easily in NU.

Rapid Spin + Haze: Tentacruel can now support its team with Rapid Spin while not being set up bait for anything with Haze, a huge boon for offensive teams that can't afford to give set up chances to Pokemon such as SubDD Gyarados, Rest + Chesto Berry Volcarona, SubCM Keldeo, and more. Also, Tentacruel can now act as both a spinner and a solid check to full Baton Pass teams simultaneously, something very useful as there are not many OU viable Pokemon with access to Haze and therefore well structured full Baton Pass teams are incredibly hard to face for a lot of teams. Finally, with Haze on its spinning sets, Tentacruel can counter the shit out of Swords Dance + Baton Pass Blaziken, which could otherwise pass the boosts to something that doesn't mind Scald / Toxic / Sludge Bomb and wreck your team.

Wish + Belly Drum: Could be viable on either a set with both those moves and Fire Punch + Double Edge or Knock Off + Drain Punch or on a mono attacking set with Double Edge and Protect, making Clefable both a supporter and a wallbreaker, but it would really struggle with its coverage, lack of STAB on its attacking moves, and heavy competition from Calm Mind sets, which although can't have that much power after just one turn are much more viable due to having a fantastic STAB in Moonblast, great two move coverage with Moonblast + Shadow Ball, and lack of health loss in order to set up.

Encore + Memento + Switcheroo: In 5th generation Switcheroo wasn't available with neither Encore nor Memento (which were compatible together though). With this restriction lifted, Whimsicott can use Encore + Switcheroo, Memento + Switcheroo, or all three moves together for incredibly annoying sets. With a Choice item or Iron Ball, Whimsicott can cripple permanently one Pokemon while still offering a lot of utility with Encore and/or Memento.

Selfdestruct + Pursuit: Snorlax can make good use of this combo on its all out attacking sets. A set of Return / Earthquake / Pursuit / Selfdestruct could be great in UU and the loss of Crunch or Fire Punch on the 4th slot doesn't matter a lot if your team can cover the 1-2 targets of those moves. Choice Band Selfdestruct is a great weapon to use when you are on low health or when you want to weaken the opponent's wall so that another Pokemon can clean-up, as long as Ghost-types are gone. To give you an example of it's power, Choice Band Selfdestruct does 72.85% - 85.95% to physically defensive Hippowdon!

Belly Drum + Mach Punch: This combo allows Magmortar to break through defensive cores and surprise its usually specially defensive switch-ins while having a way of dealing with faster threats, making it useful against both offensive and defensive teams.

Baton Pass + Growth: Illumise now has something over Volbeat, being able to set up sun and then pass +2 Atk / +2 SpA boosts to the already scary sun sweepers.

Last edited:
Accelgor can now use spikes AND encore, so that might make it a bit more viable.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think tentacruel gets a combo of moves now, something like toxic spikes, rapid spin, and aqua ring? i'm not sure but i know there was some combination of 3 moves he couldn't get before and now he can

I seem to recall victreebell couldn't learn weatherball and powerwhip together.

More importantly bellsprout gets access to them both too! And with weathers nerf maybe vulpix will be allowed back into lc~ Dreaming big

Does this also mean that Roserade can have Sleep Powder + Spikes + Toxic Spikes? I would love to be able to use a dual spiker with sleep!

Roserade will be OU this gen. It will be a great offensive spiker. With a defensive set, it easily sets up spikes against water, electric and grass types.

I remember in Gen4's UU, after the BL tier was emptied, there was an interesting discussion on how Crobat couldn't get Brave Bird and Hypnosis together - this wasn't enough to keep him in UU, but it was somewhat hindering to supporting Crobat, and still is to this day.

Now, said restriction doesn't exist. Will Crobat be able to destroy his enemies in the lower tiers now that he can sleep them as well?

Pinsir got Quick attack+Close combat legalized by the change (previously illegal in gen 5) which makes it's mega form look better

also with the change the only remaining illegal move combos are pretty much old gen only moves + new gen egg moves

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^If that's indeed the case, aerilate Quick Attack mega pinsir coupled with CC will wreak major shit.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I seem to recall victreebell couldn't learn weatherball and powerwhip together.

More importantly bellsprout gets access to them both too! And with weathers nerf maybe vulpix will be allowed back into lc~ Dreaming big
I don't think that this will be a very notable new egg move combo because Victreebel rarely goes special. However, it's still worth adding, thank you!
I remember in Gen4's UU, after the BL tier was emptied, there was an interesting discussion on how Crobat couldn't get Brave Bird and Hypnosis together - this wasn't enough to keep him in UU, but it was somewhat hindering to supporting Crobat, and still is to this day.

Now, said restriction doesn't exist. Will Crobat be able to destroy his enemies in the lower tiers now that he can sleep them as well?
Thx, adding!

Wait wait WAIT. Hypnosis + Brave Bird Crobat?? Holy hell, Crobat's walking into Gen VI like a boss! Fairy killing STAB, Infiltrator buff, and now this? Crobat's shaping up to look like a pretty good Anti-Lead so far! Although it seems like it might end up with 4MSS because of Hypnosis + BB + Taunt + Roost + Super Fang + Poison STAB (for the Fairies), I think Crobat will make itself known in this gen's OU meta :D

This isn't a good Pokemon but Dragon Dance + Leaf Blade is legal on Tropius now.
Also, as I mentioned in creative sets, Wish + Perish Song Wigglytuff is also a thing.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
A mixed Dragon Dance set is now possible for Solar Power Charizard down in lower tiers
Can you please be a bit more specific and explain which egg move combo Charizard can now have?

Added Wigglytuff and Accelgor, didn't add Delibird and Tropius for obvious reasons (they suck).

Wait wait WAIT. Hypnosis + Brave Bird Crobat?? Holy hell, Crobat's walking into Gen VI like a boss! Fairy killing STAB, Infiltrator buff, and now this? Crobat's shaping up to look like a pretty good Anti-Lead so far! Although it seems like it might end up with 4MSS because of Hypnosis + BB + Taunt + Roost + Super Fang + Poison STAB (for the Fairies), I think Crobat will make itself known in this gen's OU meta :D
I think the first question should be "how does your Crobat have 6 moves"?

So what I'm hearing is that Blastoise can have rain dish with fake out and aqua jet? Cuz I'm thinking of doubles right now and I've always wanted that one. I'm expecting weather abilities to still be practical in doubles, especially if you use a damp rock.

Doesn't this free up Cacturne for Spikes and Encore? I don't remember the exact combination, some coming together of Sucker Punch, Spikes and Encore, but I couldn't use it when we brought Garchomp down from Ubers since it was only done by banning Sand Veil, which was the only ability that specific Cacturne moveset could be done with iirc. It was great in lower tiers so if it's viable again I can't wait to use it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Doesn't this free up Cacturne for Spikes and Encore? I don't remember the exact combination, some coming together of Sucker Punch, Spikes and Encore, but I couldn't use it when we brought Garchomp down from Ubers since it was only done by banning Sand Veil, which was the only ability that specific Cacturne moveset could be done with iirc. It was great in lower tiers so if it's viable again I can't wait to use it.
Iirc, Encore was an event only move for Cacturne from one of the previous gens, so you couldn't have Encore with Water Absorb, a Dream World exclusive ability. So, it's still illegal for Water Absorb Cacturne.

Regarding Roserade, this also means it can learn Synthesis with two other Egg moves. Might be handy on sun teams but it falls through the whole Four Slot Syndrome if your running Dual Spikes. You could hook it up with Toxic Spikes, Sleep Powder, Synthesis, and Leaf Storm. That might be the set I'll be running.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)