Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Razor shell isn't a signature move. Muddy water WAS a signature move and exclusive to swampert line until it stopped being one in Gen IV. Blaze kick and Leaf Blade are the same as Muddy Water. Leaf tornado was never a signature move.

Chesnaught is the only pokemon to gain Spiky Shield via leveling up. It's very unlikely that a thematically perfect move found on only one pokemon will be available as an egg move to another. Also consider that the two other starters have thematically fitting moves only available to them and it's pretty obvious that all 3 are signature moves. It's probably already been tested, anyway. Next gen Ferrothorn might get Spiky Shield, though.
Leaf Tornado and Razor Shell weren't exclusive to Snivy/Oshawott either. It's perfectly possible Spiky Shield is learned by something else via breeding.

@ Capt. Fail

I am using a similar set on my cartridge to play random Wi-Fi.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish
252 Def (The rest are scattered)
- Seed Bomb
- Power-Up Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Beside the fact that Chesnaught can't Power-Up against a Ghost, it is slow, and using too many support moves leaves it vulnerable to Taunt. I chose Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer because taking recoil damage seems counter-productive.

Another bit of information I found out:

In Double Battle, if Chesnaught absorbs an attack (Earthquake) from its partner while using Spiky Shield, its partner does not take damage.

@ Capt. Fail

I am using a similar set on my cartridge to play random Wi-Fi.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish
252 Def (The rest are scattered)
- Seed Bomb
- Power-Up Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Beside the fact that Chesnaught can't Power-Up against a Ghost, it is slow, and using too many support moves leaves it vulnerable to Taunt. I chose Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer because taking recoil damage seems counter-productive.

Another bit of information I found out:

In Double Battle, if Chesnaught absorbs an attack (Earthquake) from its partner while using Spiky Shield, its partner does not take damage.
Outclassed by Bulk Up, Swords Dance, and SubSeed in certain aspects of the set. Thanks for trying, though!

Yes, that is the point of the ability...
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he posted that to confirm Shadow Ball is covered by Bulletproof. (Which we knew, but still.)

Do we have a list of moves, for sure, covered by bullet proof? We can ASSUME anything with 'ball' and 'bomb' in the name, but I'd like to know what all is covered under it. I don't have a HA Chespin yet (=[), but as soon as I do, I'll be trying things.

Yeah sorry, I just can't find it anywhere. I double checked the research thread and Serebii's page and there's no Close Combat in its level-up learnset. It might be available as an egg move, not sure if anyone has tried that yet, but for now I'd remove it.

Gamefreak WTF u missed the chance to make Chesnaught even more awesome by giving it drain punch and throwing horns on it so it could get horn leech. But w/e Chesnaught is still the most awesome Kalos starter.

there is a lot of hype around the new protect moves like spiky shield, but imo they will become really predictable and hard to use, the same way sub-protect sets are easy to deal with if the player knows how.
How much damage does spiky shield deal anyway?

EDIT: I don't think Close Combat will be a good move on Chesnaught because its highest stat is defense, and running CC wastes that. If GF gave it drain punch it would be better.

Last edited:
I keep seeing that Chespin can learn spikes, wtf I have not been able to pass down anything to Chespin. How do you give him spikes? I currently have a 31/31/31/x/31/31

Morpheus

Chesnaught @ Assault vest
Impish
252 SDEF 252 ATK 4 DEF (feel free to play with EVs as you wish)
- Seed Bomb
- Power-Up Punch
- Hammer arm/Stone Edge
- Poison Jab
Maybe this will work with the Assault vest, but it lack recovery.

Guys...
Don't see chesnaught as something that can only do an offense set.

Impish: 252 def, 252 hp
Item: Leftovers
-Leech seed
-Toxic
-Spiky Shield
-Hammer Arm

I think we have ourselves a decent wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)