Status
Not open for further replies.

General Information
Name: Pyroar
Type: Fire / Normal
Pokedex Number - #668
Base Stats (from Serebii) - 86 / 68 / 72 / 109 / 66 / 106

Abilities
Rivalry - Attack and Special Attack are increased by 25% the gender is the same, decreased by 25% if they are different.
Unnerve - The opponent cannot eat berries.
Moxie (Hidden) - If Pyroar KOs an opponent, its attack increases.

Level-Up Movepool
1 - Hyper Beam
1 - Tackle
1 - Leer
5 - Ember
8 - Work Up
11 - Headbutt
15 - Noble Roar
20 - Take Down
23 - Fire Fang
28 - Endeavor
33 - Echoed Voice
38 - Flamethrower
42 - Crunch
51 - Incinerate
57 - Overheat

TM/HM
Roar
Toxic
Hidden Power
Sunny Day
Protect
Rain Dance
Frustration
Solar Beam
Return
Dig
Double Team
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Facade
Flame Charge
Rest
Echoed Voice
Attract
Thief
Overheat
Will-O-Wisp
Retaliate
Giga Impact
Bulldoze
Swagger
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Wild Charge
Rock Smash
Snarl
Dark Pulse
Confide
Strength

Egg Moves
None so far

Pyroar looks kinda average as far as Pokemon go, and indeed, it kinda is. However, what Pyroar does have is an interesting, unique typing and the second highest speed stat of any Fire-type (beaten only by Infernape). While a Normal-typing may at first seem kind of useless, it does allow it to get a STAB on Hyper Voice, which has been buffed to hit through Substitutes. In addition, a Fire-typing is always cool as well to get a nice STAB boost on Fire Blast. Unfortunately, Pyroar has a pretty limited movepool and no noteworthy abilities. It also doesn't have any useful ability (Moxie is cool but it has 68 base Attack) while being weak to Stealth Rock and not being very bulky, and its barely slower than the 108 benchmark, although Pyroar overall probably won't have the potential to make it to OU due to it being very one-dimensional but it may still be an interesting option because until Bank comes out it will be the fastest Fire type, and its speed does allow it to outspeed stuff like Garchomp and Landorus.

Possible Movesets

Pyroar @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Unnerve
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Dark Pulse

Really simple set, just choose the appropriate move and watch stuff happen. Fire / Normal / Ice or Grass gets good coverage, although there is nothing Pyroar can do about Tyranitar and stuff. Fire Blast is the main move, and Hyper Voice takes care of most of the Pokemon that resist Fire Blast like Water-types and Dragon-types (doesn't KO them but it still hits pretty hard in general). Hidden Power Ice is more useful against most OU Pokemon, but Grass gets more useful in case it ends up in a lower tier. That's pretty much where Pyroar's movepool ends, so a status move can quickly cripple a common switch for Pyroar, Will-O-Wisp in particular annoying Tyranitar. I don't think Dark Pulse actually hits anything for extra damage, but if you want another attacking move that's pretty much your only option.

Closing Thoughts

This thing isn't bad, but its not really that good either. As I stated, its speed stat is really useful, but its not going to be even close to OU probably due to its bad movepool and the fact that there is nothing it can do about Tyranitar or its frailty. Still, STAB Hyper Voice is a really cool niche for a Fire type that provides solid neutral coverage and a weapon against Subs, but I'm really hoping it gets something useful from Egg Moves so then it can actually have a 4th moveslot or possibly have a hidden niche.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
im using one right now it hits pretty hard with flamethrower and echoed voice works alright i suppose until i get hyper voice i wish it got better moves but fire and normal stabs are good

Terrible typing + stats

You would think this thing woulda been the next Arcanine but nah don't even bother with this guy

Like... cool it has access to Moxie but 68 base attack speaks for itself lol

I just don't see how good can unstabbed Base 60 Hidden Power be a consideration anymore. I mean, yes, it will mean that you will not be walled by some stuff, but I don't see it being as relevant as it was before.

I actually think this thing will be great in the lower tiers. Not exactly an OU mainstay, but that trollish base 106 speed makes it seem like it will be a great Choice abuser. Normal/Fire is actually a pretty good STAB combo funny enough, though you do have some trouble with Rock types and Chandelure (Dark Pulse should be on most sets because of this.)

Also, serebii says this guy gets Wild Charge, but it's not listed here.

I have a sinking feeling that Pyroar will be NU.

It has nearly the same problems as Zebrastrika. Both being fast sweepers, having a high attacking stat with an ability that powers the weaker attacking stat. Rivary does boost both attacking stats but it can also decrease both stats as well, depending on the opponent's gender which makes it inconsistent. Moxie is a damn good ability but its pretty much wasted on Pyroar with its higher Sp.Atk and mostly Special movepool. But unlike Zebstrika it really doesn't need either of those abilities to be successful. Its a downer yes but you gotta make do with what you got.

It has good stats all around and does have some interesting options. But its typing and lack of a good, consistent ability hurts it. It does get STAB Fire Blast and Hyper Voice which are pretty good, especially with its 109 Sp.Atk but its weak against common attacking types. So at best I can see it viable in UU. But I'm not sure if it can even make it to RU. Time will tell.

it's really unfortunate that Moxie doesn't boost Special Attack too, he'd have a real niche if that was the case. It will be very hard for it to succeed in higher tiers, because its STABs are walled very easily by Rock-types (Ttar, RHyperior etc). However, Pyroar might be able to be a threat in lower tiers, its Special Attack and Speed are definitely usable, and if it gets a good egg move (Nasty Plot pls), it would be a very threatening sweeper. As it stands now, it's one of the more disappointing Pokemon introduced in gen 6. :(

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I'm glad someone finally made this thread. I know, I feel like Pyroar will wind up in RU/NU, but even still it certainly deserves some discussion. It has very good speed and special attack, but the rest of it's stats are very forgettable. The most surprising thing to me is that it does NOT have good mixed attacking stats, unlike Arcanine.

The other big problem is that it has poor typing, crummy abilities, and no real defining traits.... Without that it has no niche and is outclassed by tons of other sweepers. Delphox wound up in the same boat and two are surprisingly similar. Pyroar still has excellent sweeping stats though so I'm sure it will be feared in the lower tiers.

Pyroar getting Moxie while having base 68 attack is classic Trollfreak.

Poor defenses, lackluster speed, usable offensive stats (you could run moxie and run one atk move so you can't be walled as easily, maybe wildcharge could threaten something)... from a purely monofire standpoint, it's better than Flareon. That's not saying much, of course, but at least it's not x4 to SR, and at least it outspeeds certain threats...

I don't think we can rule it out yet though. When the pokebank opens up, it may have some interesting egg moves still.

Probably the main issue is that 'normal' is really a hindrance. Normal moves just aren't very good. Becoming weak to fighting is a huge burden, to boot. He should have gotten slightly better stats to compensate for his normal typing.

I'm pretty sure someone will try to make a Moxie set to be creative at least.

Pyroar has decent to mediocre physical options but given the chance it may do some damage. Don't expect much though.

i feel GF should have given him intimidate or flash fire or a new lion-like ability thats more useful because i really like its design. shame
It definitely should've had Intimidate...

I thought about him and was really let down. Atm it seems like he's the only Pokemon with Noble Roar. You could try to force switches with it and add up some hazard damage since it'll often be faster than the opposing Pokemon so it gets to do it twice (force something out by being SE on it, use NR on the switch, then NR again cuz you're faster).
Not sure how viable that is though, probably not too much :/ Maybe NR + Will o Wisp + Flamethrower/Fire Blast + Hyper Voice. I'll definitely try that out, but it really doesn't seem like he's very good, sadly...

His abilities are too lackluster for him, unnerve is too situational and moxie/rivalry they focus on a stat that he shouldn't be using in the first place, rivalry shares the boost with sp atk, but just a little bit and even then, it can still backfire.

Not saying it's his only problem, but, it's really dazzling how GF can misplace some abilities so much, for some Pokemons they give just the right ones, for others, they give something that is really out of place, it almost like it's on purpose.

I'm going to sound like an idiot... but can someone confirm Rivalry still works the same way? It is worded differently now in game, And the stats don't change vs male or females... I still plan to use my Pyroar no matter water, but I am curious since my good one has Unnerve, so UI have to wait till I get an ability changing item.

As for the set I plan to run... Flame Thrower/fire blast, Will-o-wisp/Something, Noble Roar, Hyper voice.

I like Noble roar as a kinda hazer/power house stopper.

What makes Pyroar somewhat unique, and thus will give it a good niche in what will likely be the OU metagame, is its ability to easily handle Aegislash no matter how much it has set up, thanks to its unique typing. Of course, for this to work, Pyroar would have to run a set with Substitute, but even an Aegislash at +6 would fall to it thanks to its immunity to Shadow Sneak, ability to outpace with Substitute and block incoming Sacred Sword, and super effective STAB.

The only thing that prevents this from being a straight up counter to Aegislash is the fact that it gets OHKO'd by Sacred Sword, so it cannot switch in safely. Get a free switch, though, and Aegislash is a goner. To my knowledge, Pyroar is the only Pokemon that can pull this off this effectively (I suppose that Houndoom can also do this to an extent, but it does not appreciate boosted Shadow Sneaks).

I recommend a Sub+3 set for this purpose.

Pyroar@Leftovers
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid/Modest
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Hyper Voice
-Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Fighting
-Substitute

The only reason for the Fighting option is in case Heatran decides to join the party, which walls Pyroar otherwise, and for hitting Tyranitar.

Edit: Diggersby with Huge Power also serves to check Aegislash. However, Pyroar's faster, so make of that what you will.

Last edited:
What makes Pyroar somewhat unique, and thus will give it a good niche in what will likely be the OU metagame, is its ability to easily handle Aegislash no matter how much it has set up, thanks to its unique typing. Of course, for this to work, Pyroar would have to run a set with Substitute, but even an Aegislash at +6 would fall to it thanks to its immunity to Shadow Sneak, ability to outpace with Substitute and block incoming Sacred Sword, and super effective STAB.

The only thing that prevents this from being a straight up counter to Aegislash is the fact that it gets OHKO'd by Sacred Sword, so it cannot switch in safely. Get a free switch, though, and Aegislash is a goner. To my knowledge, Pyroar is the only Pokemon that can pull this off this effectively (I suppose that Houndoom can also do this to an extent, but it does not appreciate boosted Shadow Sneaks).

Pyroar@Leftovers
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid/Modest
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Hyper Voice
-Substitute

The only reason for the Fighting option is in case Heatran decides to join the party, which walls Pyroar otherwise, and for hitting Tyranitar.
Now that HP is set at 60... is it easier to get the Types you want? Also, what can it get from the Meowstic family and some of the other special attacking field pokemon? Maybe it could get an electric attack from lil raichu or some of the many attacks from the Meow family.

My planned set is as follows right now

Flamethrower/fire blast
Hyper Voice
HP FIghting/Grass/Dark Pulse
Noble Roar.

I like Noble roar for it to be a nice psudo haze, stopping most attackers cold.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
wierd how a lion could have a low atk stat lol. Its noble roar is kinda cool but its not that much better from a growl because of its low bulk. even though it does have very nice speed. Think it could have higher speed than that since one outsped my timid max speed (but not max iv) heliolisk by 3-4 points on wifi.

I'm really wanting a moxie set to work out on Pyroar.
You could run something like
Pyroar@Life Orb
??atk/??spa/252spd
Naughty
-Overheat
-Return
-Wild Charge
-Crunch

Run just enough special attack to net a KO on whatever your most important threats end up being with Overheat, then you dump everything into your physical attack and get your moxie boosts rolling. One Moxie boost with maxed out Attack EVs sits you at 352 attack and from there you can throw out 102BP STAB returns all day; Crunch any ghost that gets in the way, and Wild Charge for coverage.

I admit it comes with issues, but I want it to be a thing darn it!

Pyroar@Leftovers
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid/Modest
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Hyper Voice
-Substitute

Edit: Diggersby with Huge Power also serves to check Aegislash. However, Pyroar's faster, so make of that what you will.

iam using a similar set for battle mansion, just Will-o-Wisp instead of these crapy HPs...well it works well as a starter, if a lower suport pokemon shows up you can easily Sub first turn and against Rock/Ground mons you can wisp them..its not the best mon ever, but atleast his speed gives him some use. Hopefully it gets some Egg-Moves. :(

A thought crossed my mind earlier today: has anyone tried to breed for Boomburst on Pyroar? Both it and Exploud are in the Field egg group, so there's definitely a way to test it. Seeing as how it gets Hyper Voice and its signature move is Noble Roar, there's definitely a flavor precedence for big sound moves on Pyroar. If it ends up getting the move, it would surpass Exploud as the most powerful Normal-type user of the move, and what it lacks in bulk would be made up for with a great base 106 Spe stat. Being able to spam a no-drawbacks 140 power STAB move is such a great tool, and Pyroar is also blessed with a secondary STAB to nail most Steels and hit most Ghosts neutrally. I could see a Specs set being pretty scary.

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Trait: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Boomburst
-Overheat / Fire Blast
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Dark Pulse / Fire Blast

Boomburst is the main draw of this set, hitting pretty much every thing hard that isn't a Ghost, Steel, or Rock-type. For instance, 252/4 Blissey is 3HKO'd 99.9% of the time after Stealth Rock, while Terrakion (a Pokemon with decent bulk who resists the move) takes a ~50% minimum. Overheat also fits well with the hit-and-run nature of the set while dealing massive damage and roasting pretty much any Steel-type not named Heatran, although Fire Blast maintains a lot of power while dealing more damage over a couple of turns. HP Fighting nails the Rock-types that wall the Fire/Normal coverage (mainly Tyranitar) while also 2HKOing offensive Heatran. Dark Pulse can be used to hit Chandelure and Jellicent, who both completely shut Pyroar down otherwise. Fire Blast can also be used alongside Overheat so that you can have both the immediate power of Overheat and the consistency of Fire Blast so that you can use the appropriate move for each situation.

Of course, this is all assuming Pyroar actually gets Boomburst. I'll get a lot more free time this weekend, so if no one has tested this by then, I'll give it a try.

A thought crossed my mind earlier today: has anyone tried to breed for Boomburst on Pyroar? Both it and Exploud are in the Field egg group, so there's definitely a way to test it. Seeing as how it gets Hyper Voice and its signature move is Noble Roar, there's definitely a flavor precedence for big sound moves on Pyroar. If it ends up getting the move, it would surpass Exploud as the most powerful Normal-type user of the move, and what it lacks in bulk would be made up for with a great base 106 Spe stat. Being able to spam a no-drawbacks 140 power STAB move is such a great tool, and Pyroar is also blessed with a secondary STAB to nail most Steels and hit most Ghosts neutrally. I could see a Specs set being pretty scary.

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Trait: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Boomburst
-Overheat / Fire Blast
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Dark Pulse / Fire Blast

Boomburst is the main draw of this set, hitting pretty much every thing hard that isn't a Ghost, Steel, or Rock-type. For instance, 252/4 Blissey is 3HKO'd 99.9% of the time after Stealth Rock, while Terrakion (a Pokemon with decent bulk who resists the move) takes a ~50% minimum. Overheat also fits well with the hit-and-run nature of the set while dealing massive damage and roasting pretty much any Steel-type not named Heatran, although Fire Blast maintains a lot of power while dealing more damage over a couple of turns. HP Fighting nails the Rock-types that wall the Fire/Normal coverage (mainly Tyranitar) while also 2HKOing offensive Heatran. Dark Pulse can be used to hit Chandelure and Jellicent, who both completely shut Pyroar down otherwise. Fire Blast can also be used alongside Overheat so that you can have both the immediate power of Overheat and the consistency of Fire Blast so that you can use the appropriate move for each situation.

Of course, this is all assuming Pyroar actually gets Boomburst. I'll get a lot more free time this weekend, so if no one has tested this by then, I'll give it a try.
The Research thread already confirmed that Pyroar does not learn Boomburst.

I'm quite curious as to the gender of Pyroar and breeding it with a ditto. If I breed a Female Pyroar with a Ditto, will all of the offspring be female? This is what I've seen recently.

Anywho, I've thought of a nice little set that Pyroar might have the best success with. It has decent speed so I was thinking:

Pyroar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unnerve/Moxie
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Substitute
~ Fire Blast/Flamethrower
~ Hyper Voice
~ Hidden Power Fighting

This set will allow it to set up a sub against pokemon that can OHKO, get a +2 boost and then can potentially sweep an entire team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)