Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesh. Then Head Smash is not worth it if you don't run Rock Head (which I'm not. Rock head for just 1 move vs Strong jaw for 2-3 moves? I'll take strong jaw) Sure, you have that Pure power, but If I am using DD, I will be dead in like, 2 turns.

If I wasn't using DD, I would probably run Ice Fang, Head Smash/Poison Fang, EQ, Fire Fang with a Shell bell to at least get some health back. WIth DD, I'll use Ice Fang, Fire Fang, EQ, DD with Shell Bell for healing. I am not sure which is the better set though...
Is Tyrantrum actually confirmed for having Rock Head? I can't find it anywhere and the community seems uncertain.

If it were my choice, though, I would run Head Smash with Rock Head on a DD Tyrantrum. Moves like Fire Fang and Crunch are mostly there for coverage, so if you ever have to resort to those that's because your STAB major power hitter Head Smash isn't an option. Think of it along the line's of DDNite, who uses Outrage on anything that gets hit for neutral damage and runs Fire Fang for coverage. If you're going to be using your bite moves for coverage, then there's no need for Strong Jaw bonuses, although I see a possible counter in Ferrothorn in this case with the proper investments.

The difference between running Strong Jaw for 2-3 moves and running Rock Head for one move is that the one move should be your major choice most of the time because none of the other moves are going to give you that massive damage output that Head Smash would, and if you're resorting to bite moves you're probably getting a supereffective multiplier anyway.

Is Tyrantrum actually confirmed for having Rock Head? I can't find it anywhere and the community seems uncertain.

If it were my choice, though, I would run Head Smash with Rock Head on a DD Tyrantrum. Moves like Fire Fang and Crunch are mostly there for coverage, so if you ever have to resort to those that's because your STAB major power hitter Head Smash isn't an option. Think of it along the line's of DDNite, who uses Outrage on anything that gets hit for neutral damage and runs Fire Fang for coverage. If you're going to be using your bite moves for coverage, then there's no need for Strong Jaw bonuses, although I see a possible counter in Ferrothorn in this case with the proper investments.
It's SUPPOSIVLY a hidden ability. And I suppose if I had access to it I may use it... but I really like his ability Strong Jaws. It hits quite a lot hard. Not as hard as a rock head head smash, but hard.

Since I don't really want the recoil, that leaves me with Rock slide or stone edge. Stone edge misses just a little too much for my tastes. And I think I'll go for more coverage vs stab.

That being said... still not sure if I go for a full attacker set or a DD set... He would make a powerful choice bander... but DD is fun... I also have his Attack EV's maxed, but hold off what else to put the EV's in because not sure if the EV's will be different on a DD set or a choice band set...

I appreciate the creativity. If this were Tyrantrum's best set, he would probably end up ru. I think with his sweeping options he will be uu, they r more of his niche. Nice set though
Here is my reasoning as to why I think Tyrantrum will end up UU. Some Pokemon are dropped into lower tiers simply because their is something that outclasses them in a higher tier. Two examples I can come up with from last generation are Rhyperior and Machamp. Rhyperior had beastly offensive and defensive stats, so much that on paper he looked like a definite OU Pokemon. However the fact was, that in OU Hippowdon outclassed him as a physical wall with strong offensive capabilities. In terms of type, Hippowdon lacked the two 4x weaknesses of Rhyperior while maintain its strong physical bulk. On top of that Hippowdon was able to tank special hits better with some investment. To top it of, Hippowdon gained reliable recovery in Slack off and supported its teammates by summoning infinite sandstorm(even though it isn't infinate anymore). These factors put Hippowdon in OU while Rhyperior in UU. Even so, Rhyperior has its potential in OU, its just the fact that he is outclassed by another Pokemon that caused him to remain in lower tiers.

Next lets look at Machamp. He has always been a powerful bulky fighting type, but with Gen 5 came a strong competitor in the form of Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr sported better physical defenses, recovery in the form of Drain Punch, and STAB priority in Mach Punch. He fills essentially the same role as Machamp in UU as a bulky fighting type. That isnt saying Machamp isn't a bad Pokemon because it certainly is not. It is simply that there is a better option with Conkeldurr. However Machamp does hold its own advantage over Conkeldurr in the form of No Guard Dynamic Punch which everyone knows is a nuisance to face.

Now lets look at Tyrantrum. For this example I will use 4 Pokemon. Rampardos, Aggron, Tyrantrum, and Mega-Tyranitar. Lets start with Rampardos. One of his major roles is as a terrifying Head Smasher with the use of Choice Band or Life Orb. However why does he sit all the way down in NU with that attack stat. One major reason for this is Aggron. Aggron fills a similar role in RU but outclasses Rampardos in many aspects. Aggron superior bulk and typing allow to have better opportunities to patch up its speed with Rock Polish or Autotomize and then Head Smash away. On top of that Rock Head provides a recoiless Head Smash which gives him another advantage over Rampardos. Now its time to look at Tyrantrum. This analysis is assuming he will eventually receive Rock Head, as it seems inevitable since it has been seen on opposing Tyrantrum's by several people. Tyrantrum, sports high defenses, more attack than Aggron, arguably better typing, and faster speed. In fact, Tyrantrums 71 base speed allows him to reach a crucial speed tier as many people have already noticed. Tyrantrum fills Aggron's role in RU but even better with more power, speed, and coverage options. Just to see some of Tyrantrums UU capabilities, a Jolly +1 252Atk LO Head Smash coming from Tyrantrum does 63.17-74.85 to eviolite Gligar, a guaranteed 2HKO. With this much power, why does he not look like OU material. Six weaknesses, all to common attacking types is one thing, but another reason is Mega-Tyranitar. Mega-Tyrantar sports the same speed as Tyrantrum, however with superior attack and defenses. Thus he has more opportunities to set up DD or Rock Polish than Tyrantrum gets in an OU setting. Although Tyranitar does not have access to Head Smash, its bulk alone is a good enough trade off for the loss in power to outclass Tyrantrum in this role. This isn't to say Tyrantrum cannot function well in OU as it does have the advantage of not taking up a mega stone slot.

So to summarize Mega-Tyranitar>Tyrantrum>Aggron>Rampardos so it is logical to predict that they will end up OU>UU>RU>NU respectively. However that's just my theory.

It could also depend heavily on what them meta turns out to be. For example, many have theorized that Aegislash can become OU, but then, if he does end up in OU...so would Malamar (apparently the only pokemon that can beat Aegislash no matter which IV`s, Ev`s or build, Malamar wins). So while we may be able to predict based on the current meta, things may change a lot this Generation and we might be surprised to see someone in OU when we thought he wasn`t good enough for it.

Edit: We also have to consider how Tyranitar now has 7 weaknesses while Tyrantrum only has 6...might seem like a lot, but this didn`t stop Tyranitar from being in OU despite having the same weaknesses. The question would be, is the added weakness enough to make Tyrantrum take his place?

Last edited:
WHy don't we just... pretend everyone is in the same tier for now, and play like that till tiers are set(though to be honest I ignore most tier listings and just use who I like together)

WHy don't we just... pretend everyone is in the same tier for now, and play like that till tiers are set(though to be honest I ignore most tier listings and just use who I like together)
:D

I actually do the same. I use my pokemons based more on looks rather than tiers, though that`s not to say the discussion can`t be had, tiers do exist in any competitive game (no matter if it is weapons, classes, champions, heroes, etc) so it has some worth considering where Tyrantrum might end up, specially now that Tyranitar gained an entirely new weakness too. I find it interesting actually, and this particular pokemon clicked with me more than others have in the past.

:D

I actually do the same. I use my pokemons based more on looks rather than tiers, though that`s not to say the discussion can`t be had, tiers do exist in any competitive game (no matter if it is weapons, classes, champions, heroes, etc) so it has some worth considering where Tyrantrum might end up, specially now that Tyranitar gained an entirely new weakness too. I find it interesting actually, and this particular pokemon clicked with me more than others have in the past.
T-rex's are my favorite pokemon, so I can't not use this guy. And Yeah, I got by looks mostly, but I also go by ideas I have and what I like in terms of synergy. I come here mainly to bounce ideas off, read other peoples ideas, and EV help. Teirs I just pretty much ignore(Except uubers, since, well, they are useally banned from ingame stuff too)

I think Tyrantrum has plenty of advantages over Tyrannitar (Mega or not). It's got a better typing overall (lots of weaknesses, but no dual weaknesses and some good resistances), it's got dragon STAB and either a recoil-less Rock Head, or STAB Elemental Fangs. I think playtesting will show which one gets more use. Tyrannitar lost a lot of power from losing it's perma-sandstream too, which means it's special defense stat isn't going to be perpetually boosted anymore. Making it way more vulnerable to grass knot, hydro pump, scald, etc. Which Tyranntrum isn't weak to.

I think this sets could work

jolly Leftovers
252atk 252 speed 4hp
Head smash
fire fang
ice fang
Dragon Dance

the reason it has leftovers is to get some hp back after using head smashes, life orb plus head smash would just murder him imo and fire fang for steel types and ice fang for ground types and dragons, the reason im not putting dragon claw is that the damage it would do agaist all the bulky ground types just wouldnt be enough and they all want to come in and earthquake him.

what do you guys think?

At this point Tyrantrum and Tyranitar are on even playing fields in my opinion. Tyranitar beats Tyrantrum in stats, whereas Tyrantrum beats Tyranitar in resistances. Tyranitar has sandstream increasing it's special defence for 5 turns where Tyrantrum has Strong jaw which makes crunch and the elemental fangs way more powerful which is useful for coverage. Tyrantrum is a little faster which makes it a good DD user where Tyranitar takes up a mega slot(which is good because it's a mega, but bad because it disallows you to use other megas). Either way, they're both weak to bullet and mach punch (but tyranitar is also weak to aqua jet) so the priority moves are a pain, They both get walled very similarily, (ferrothorn if you don't have a fire move, Gliscor) and with Tyranitar struggling to keep it's dominance of the OU last gen there may be room for two offensive rock tyrants in OU.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Tyranitar is still going to be top of OU again this year and Tyrantrum's less than stellar special defense and speed will be the death of him, but Tyrantrum would be a huge threat in UU, and may be too strong and be forced into BL.

I think this sets could work

jolly Leftovers
252atk 252 speed 4hp
Head smash
fire fang
ice fang
Dragon Dance

the reason it has leftovers is to get some hp back after using head smashes, life orb plus head smash would just murder him imo and fire fang for steel types and ice fang for ground types and dragons, the reason im not putting dragon claw is that the damage it would do agaist all the bulky ground types just wouldnt be enough and they all want to come in and earthquake him.

what do you guys think?
Wouldn't you heal more back with SHell bell then leftovers? Leftevers is 1/16th your current health. Shell Bell is 1/8th the damage caused. Rock head does 1/2 the damage you do, so you will be healing 1/4th the damage you take.

Wouldn't you heal more back with SHell bell then leftovers? Leftevers is 1/16th your current health. Shell Bell is 1/8th the damage caused. Rock head does 1/2 the damage you do, so you will be healing 1/4th the damage you take.
yeah i tough about shell bell to but leftovers can heal you while you dd too and when you kill a pokemon wich has low health even with the elemental fangs, in all leftovers is much more reliable imo but shell bell could work tough i dont want to run life orb or i will die in like 2 turns.

Been using Tyrantrum on Showdown, and damn. Even without the Fangs (It says he can't learn them yet), he wrecks everything.

Normally I'm Baton Passing to him from my Speed Boost Scolipede, passing at least one Swords Dance and two Speed Boosts. So that's probably why. He knows Rock Polish, Crunch, Dragon Claw, and Stone Edge with a Life Orb. The Rock Polish is solely for outsmarting a King's Shield Aegislash (Very common, it would seem), otherwise I might even run another attack.

Been using Tyrantrum on Showdown, and damn. Even without the Fangs (It says he can't learn them yet), he wrecks everything.

Normally I'm Baton Passing to him from my Speed Boost Scolipede, passing at least one Swords Dance and two Speed Boosts. So that's probably why. He knows Rock Polish, Crunch, Dragon Claw, and Stone Edge with a Life Orb. The Rock Polish is solely for outsmarting a King's Shield Aegislash (Very common, it would seem), otherwise I might even run another attack.
if you run rock polish only for the kings shield then you can use earthquake since it doesnt get the -2 atack since it isnt a contact move.

I was not really trying to compare Tyrantrum to the metagame as much as I was trying to compare it relative to its contenders to establish what tier it may end up in regardless of how the metagame ends up. I am a huge fan of Tyrantrum and love him just as much as the next guy but I was just trying to predict where he will end judging from similar cases like Hippowdon vs Rhyperior and Conkeldurr vs Machamp. I still think he will be OU viable and has his advantages over Mega-Tyranitar but I don't think his resistance to water and grass is one of them. That special defense is just way too low to handle strong special stab moves of these types as Hydro Pumps and Leaf Storms coming from the likes of offensive Starmie and Celebi respectively still net OHKO's. Tyrantrum may have to rely just as heavily as Tyranitar to make his special defense useful. Will that stop me from using one in OU? Hell no. I knew this thing would be my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon ever since Tyrunt was revealed. I have loved T-rexes ever since I was a kid, and that love still remains. Although I do have my competitive teams that I use to ladder up on Showdown, I have a handful of teams where I like to bring in things from lower tiers like Gardevoir, Meloetta, and Charizard. I was a big fan of Specs Solar Power Charizard last Gen and loved to see my opponent bring in stuff like Latios to resist the dragon STAB and watch as their entire HP bar dropped. The main point I was trying to get across is that this guy does seem like he will be a threat in what ever tier he ends up in and even above his tier.

Hey, just found this on GameFAQs, it looks pretty legit, but I am not 100% sure. At least there seems to finally be some visual evidence of what we all have been waiting for. :)
http://i.imgur.com/aWaXjBu.jpg
It's true. Just recently, while I was playing through the Super Doubles section of the Battle Maison, I ran into a Rock Head Tyrantrum. It hit me with Head Smash twice, and it didn't take any recoil damage at all.

Sorry to be an killjoy but that means shit all, everyone knows Maison has a ton of unreleased abilities and Pokemon.

The problem is there is absolutely no way to obtain Rock Head on a Tyrunt legally and nobody has confirmed it as being available in Safari Zone, which means none of the theorymon matters at all until it is actually in our hands.

Reactions: DTC
Poor, poor rampardos. Outclassed by a fellow fossil pokemon thats essentially a rampardos with better bulk, better speed, a better typing, and access to dragon dance.

Poor, poor rampardos. Outclassed by a fellow fossil pokemon thats essentially a rampardos with better bulk, better speed, a better typing, and access to dragon dance.
it really is lol rampardos is outclassed in every sector that attack stat just inst worth it when your felow fossil has much better moves and stats and typing.

i really wished we could get the fossils,clawitzer and dragalge on the safaris since the only way to know their hidden abilitites is using the battle facility i actualy run acroos an amaura with snow warning i just wish i could catch it xD

I still think he will be OU viable and has his advantages over Mega-Tyranitar but I don't think his resistance to water and grass is one of them
Not because it isn't weak to Hydro Pump and Leaf Storm, but because it isn't weak to Aqua Jet or quad weak to Mach Punch. And it's defense stat is better than Tyrannitar's too. (MegaTyrannitar takes up a mega slot, and isn't as much of an improvement over Tyrannitar as a lot of other megas are.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)