Pokémon Pinsir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Stone Edge is definitely a second tier coverage option that would require you to drop either Swords Dance or Quick Attack. Not ideal.

Double-Edge + Close Combat is illegal, and impractical besides. Pinsir's gonna have a hard enough time staying alive on a team without Spin/Defog without having to worry about being shot by Azuzu's Aqua Jets and Scizor's Bullet Punches killing it off after being weakened by both recoil damage AND lowered defenses. (Yet another Flying STAB it could run is gen 3's Aerilated Body Slam.) Return and Earthquake both seem like fine options to me, and a tad gimmicky though it is, Storm Throw is another possibility for a safer Fighting coverage move than CC/Superpower if MegaPinsir decides to run Bulk Up or something (which might be worthwhile given the aforementioned priority revengers).

Yeah, I'm liking the sound of BU MegaPinsir.
Adamant/Careful 252 HP / 252 SDef (or 252 Atk & Spe I guess, for a more balanced spread)
- Bulk Up
- Body Slam / Return
- Earthquake / Storm Throw
- Quick Attack

What do you guys think of Thrash?
Personally, I think the ensuing confusion is a bit of an unattractive risk considering how much a +2 self attack will hurt, not to mention failing to attack a potentially threatening foe. But hey, 120 BP is gonna sting pretty much anything and Garchomp does it, so *shrug* Depends on how late a cleaner you want Pinsir to be.

So, apparently, Aerilate increases the damage of any move converted to Flying type by another 30%. This isn't completely confirmed, but it seems that Refrigerate and Pixilate have this effect, according to the Battle Mechanics research thread. It follows that Aerilate likely has this effect, as well.

Well yikes, if that's true Pinsir gets the strongest STAB move in the game (bar V-Create) with Thrash or Double Edge. That changes things considerably.

Well actually with Giga Impact....:3

Edit: On second thought, there's no way that can be true lol. Too good!

Last edited:
Well, I used MegaPinsir, sadly it didn't last for too long :( However, when used safely, it possesses tremendous wrecking power.

Well yikes, if that's true Pinsir gets the strongest STAB move in the game (bar V-Create) with Thrash or Double Edge. That changes things considerably.

Well actually with Giga Impact....:3

Edit: On second thought, there's no way that can be true lol. Too good!
How about these:

Refrigerate boosted Amaura's Take Down. It went from 22-27 to 34 damage. Gonna test it a bit more.

Lv50 Amaura's Attack: 68
Lv50 Charmeleon's Defense: 78

Amaura's Take Down (90 Ice Physical) vs. Charmeleon: 22-27 damage

Damage done: 34, 30, 34, 29, 30
29-34 is the damage range. It's impossible to get it with anything other than a 30% boost, soooo it's confirmed.

Video proof: 4ZXW-WWWW-WWWX-VNLG

EDIT-- That first 34 is from a previous battle, forgot to say. The video starts at the 30.
EDIT2-- derp
MegaGardevoir: 124 Attack, 177 Sp. Attack
Aegislash: 171 Defense, 170 Sp. Defense, 167 HP

Moonblast (95 Fairy Special) prediction: 28-33 damage.

Damage: 31, 29.

Pixilate does nothing to moves that already are Fairy-type.

Facade (70 Pixilated Physical) prediction: 15-18 damage.

Damage: 22, 30 (CH), 20, 30 (CH), 22, 21, 21.

I don't know the *entire* damage range for this one, but I guess the boost can only be 30%? 15 x 1.3 = 19.5 and there's a 20 right there, after all.

Video proof: 3ZWG-WWWW-WWWX-VRYS

I'll let you people imagine 110 BP Flying Body Slam MegaPinsir
It was tested for Pixelate and Refrigerate. There's little reason to doubt that Aerilate would get the boost. So, Mega Pinsir is sounding better and better everyday.

Life Orb is used to simulate the effect of the 30% Boost.
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 195-230 (51.18 - 60.36%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 333-394 (93.01 - 110.05%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 286-339 (70.96 - 84.11%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent: 407-480 (100.74 - 118.81%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 191-226 (78.92 - 93.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 181-214 (51.12 - 60.45%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 348-411 (118.36 - 139.79%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 632-745 (96.93 - 114.26%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 195-230 (51.18 - 60.36%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 333-394 (93.01 - 110.05%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 286-339 (70.96 - 84.11%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent: 407-480 (100.74 - 118.81%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 191-226 (78.92 - 93.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 181-214 (51.12 - 60.45%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 348-411 (118.36 - 139.79%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 632-745 (96.93 - 114.26%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO
Wait, did you use Mega Pinsir's stats or Pinsir's?

Other than that, it looks like Mega Pinsir is pretty crazy.

Don't want to cause any alarm but I'm pretty sure those damage values should be even higher, LO is a straight boost to stats. Aerilate if it gives the boost it should likely be directly to the moves BP which tends to add a bit more damage in general.

With that said I've seen Mega Pinsir in action and it is the very epitome of a trump card Pokemon, it so easily can come in near the end of the game and turn the tides with a full on sweep, Aerilate Return/Quick Attack is absolutely disgusting. Even if you somehow break through it's good bulk it'll likely still cripple you with a last ditch Quick Attack. Ultimately Pinsir can be walled by some strong Steel's, Steel and Rock's due to 4MSS but you should be really building your team around hazards and making those 3 types life a misery because Pinsir will mop up the rest.

Pinsir is a really frightening addition to the mega evolutions, with that impressive attack and cool ability, and I really look forward to trying him out. Unfortunately, getting Moxie is proving to be a major pain.

People, how are you getting Body Slam/Double-Edge together with Quick Attack? As far as we can remember, Quick Attack was not an egg move in the 3rd gen and thus cannot be on one set with Body Slam and/or Double-Edge.

Well, Return still works. Quick Attack is just too good to miss.

I don't think Moxie is even really worth it. Personally, I'm enjoying Hyper Cutter to dodge Intimidate boosts before Megavolving.
And yeah, that Bulk Up set I mentioned earlier? BU Megapinsir is pretty good.

Jolly, 4 HP / 252 Atk & Spe
- Bulk Up
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
This is what I've been running and it performs pretty well. Dunno if it's quite as powerful as SD, but being able to sponge more physical attacks is nice.

I don't think Moxie is even really worth it. Personally, I'm enjoying Hyper Cutter to dodge Intimidate boosts before Megavolving.
And yeah, that Bulk Up set I mentioned earlier? BU Megapinsir is pretty good.

This is what I've been running and it performs pretty well. Dunno if it's quite as powerful as SD, but being able to sponge more physical attacks is nice.

What exactly are the advantages of BU versus Swords Dance Pinsir?

What exactly are the advantages of BU versus Swords Dance Pinsir?
Survivability against priority, I guess. He can take (more of?) Azumarill's Aqua Jets / Scizor's Bullet Punches without going down, etc.
I guess it makes him more of an early-game holepuncher than a late-game cleaner.

I'll try it with a bulkier spread too. I'll need to look at what threats he wants to outspeed that QA doesn't threaten, though. Hm.

It has been confirmed that Aerialate/Refrigerate/Pixilate also gives ~30% bonus damage when changing a normal attack to a flying attack + STAB. I don't know if that has already been covered in this thread but you can go over here for Aerialate, the confirmation for the other two are earlier on in the thread.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-battle-mechanics-research.3489239/page-30

"I'm not sure aerilate was tested before, but it does indeed give a ~30% boost to normal type moves. I tested this during a Battle chateau doubles match.

mega-pinsir lv 27 has 102 Atk
Haxorus, lv50 has 138 hp/102 def.

with STAB, Strength vs Haxorus should do 37-45 damage vs -1 defense haxorus(enemy used leer)
However strength did 52 damage.

For reference, if you add Life Orb boost to above, damage range changes to: 48-58"

Seeing as how, due to his new weaknesses, he's become a bit of a more careful play, what would you guys suggest for good synergistic team choices?

Pinisir is going to frightening for UU.
But where would you put Mega Pinsir?

What is confusing me about this current gen, and the tier lists in general, is how these Pokemon will be categorized. From all I've read and seen, I can't wrap my head around how Pinsir and Mega Pinsir would be in the same tier. Especially when Mega Pinsir would absolutely annihilate regular Pinsir.

This became a second tier mega threat after the brokenmons (blaziken, mewtwos, possibly lucario, and of course gengar). It was already shaping up to be powerful as shit, and to have a free life orb boost is insane. You neeeeed a fast flying resist that ohkos, or a rotom w/skarm/electric flying type, or this thing will sweep you. Also, return > double edge I think, as it has enough power, although someone could give me calc that shows otherwise. It pairs so great with something like empoleon, who can defog for it, and take rocks and ice hits aimed at it, although this pair as trouble with edge quake but I digress. Point being, with defog survivability is much less of a problem, and with those few specific counters gone, it is ready to sweep. Also, just realize how big of problem TALONFLAME is. Considering that it looks to be a top tier threat, that will always be a huge roadblock for pinsir, as well as competition for a teamslot. This makes rotom w a great teammate, as he deals with skarm and talonflame, and gets residual dMage on other rotoms, which is all pinsir really needs. Also, pleaseeeee use earthquake, cuz fuck aegislash.

But where would you put Mega Pinsir?

What is confusing me about this current gen, and the tier lists in general, is how these Pokemon will be categorized. From all I've read and seen, I can't wrap my head around how Pinsir and Mega Pinsir would be in the same tier. Especially when Mega Pinsir would absolutely annihilate regular Pinsir.
Mega Pinsir itself would not be tiered - Pinsir will be itself be tiered wherever it ends up, Mega Pinsir is simply one of its sets. The only exception would be it tiering contributors chose to ban its Mega Stone.

Doesn't Pinsir get storm throw? Kinda destroys close combat...

If I'm right... You're welcome Smogon

Assuming crit is STILL 200% of original power

Aaaand it's nerfed....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)