NU Playstyle Classification Thread

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Approved by Raseri. Credit to DittoCrow for the idea (and a part of the OP).
no this is not too late!

Playstyle Classification Thread
The end of BW2 means there won't be any tier shift anymore, and with the last suspect test finally done, I think it is time to do this. The purpose of this thread is to help you to easily find Pokemon that fit a specific role you're looking for. Need a strong special attacker? Just take a look at the list under the roles of an offensive team. The categories will have a link to the Pokemon's analysis and the set(s) that fit into the listed role.

The list is small right now, so it's your job to fill in the lists of Pokemon in each role. Suggest viable Pokemon that fit into a certain category and try to give a small explanation of what the Pokemon does and why it fits there. If you don't see a specific playstyle or role that you are looking for, please make a suggestion to add it!

Here are the list of playstyles:
  1. Offense
  2. Bulky Offense
  3. Stall
  4. Balance
  5. VoltTurn
  6. Trick Room
  7. Rain
  8. Sun
  9. Niche Roles
  10. Manly
  11. Fabulous

1. Offense: An offensive team is one that focuses on pressuring the opponent with strong attackers and sweepers.

Hazard Setters:
Physical Sweepers:
Special Sweepers:
Pivots:
Tanks/Utility:
Wallbreakers:
Rapid Spinners:
Revenge Killers:

2. Bulky Offense: A Bulky Offense team is one that has more Pokemon with high defense, but maintains pressure on the opponent through strong attacks and hazards.

Hazard Setters:
Physical Sweepers:
Special Sweepers:
Rapid Spinners:
Pivots:
Tanks/Utility:
Wallbreakers:
Spinblockers:

3. Stall: Stall is a full team of walls that focuses on shutting down the opposing team through pure defense and forcing switches.

Physical Walls:
Special Walls:
Spikes/Toxic Spikes Users:
Rapid Spinners:
Spinblockers:
Heal Bell/Aromatherapy Users
Wish Users:
Phazers:
Win Condition:

4. Balance: Balance is a mix of offense and defense. It will usually include both powerful attackers, tanks, and defensive supporters.

Hazard Setters:
Physical Sweepers:
Special Sweepers:
Tanks/Utility:
Wallbreakers:
Physical Walls:
Special Walls:
Pivots:
Rapid Spinners:
Spinblockers:

5. VoltTurn: VoltTurn is a strategy that puts pressure on the opponent by constantly dealing damage and switching out through the usage of Volt Switch and U-turn.

Hazard Setters:
Volt Switch Users:
U-turn Users:
Pivot:
Rapid Spinners:

6. Trick Room Teams:Trick Room is a strange move that makes slower Pokemon go first for a short period of time. Slow, powerful Pokemon such as Aggron and Druddigon benefit from this immensely. (all Pokemon here should use a speed reducing nature with a speed Iv of 0)

Hazard Setters:
Trick Room Setters:
Trick Room Sweepers:

7. Rain Teams: Rain teams take advantage of the rain weather condition through abilities like Swift Swim and the boost that rain gives to Water-type moves.

Hazard Setters:
Rain Setters:
Rain Sweepers:
Rapid Spinners:

8. Sun Teams: Sun teams take advantage of the sun weather condition through abilities like Chlorophyll and the boost that sun gives to Fire-type moves.

Hazard Setters:
Sun Setters:
Sun Sweepers:

9. Niche Roles: These Pokemon play a very niche or unique role that can't be attributed to one type of team. Other Pokemon will usually be chosen before these are considered, but they can fit onto very specific types of teams.

10. Manly Teams: Manly teams consist of only the manliest Pokemon.(Manly Pokemon can only be submitted if you post another Pokemon for another playstyle as well, remember this!)
11. Fabulous Teams: Fabulous teams consist of only the cutest Pokemon.(Fabulous Pokemon can only be submitted if you post another Pokemon for another playstyle as well, remember this!)

Last edited by a moderator:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Reserve just in case~

I'll try to update this thread daily :)
One day I'll find time to add sprites to make it more beautiful

I would like to not have 1 word post in this thread pls we are here to help and to make arguments, not to post 'smh'

YOU CAN NOW POST

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, since you begged me to post ;).

I would like to bring up Drifblim (both acroblimp and cm unburden) for physical sweeper and special sweeper in offense. Drifblim works really well on offensive teams thanks to its great ability unburden, Drifblim can release an extremely powerful acrobatics on a physical set, or shadow ball for a special set, and instantly clean a weakened team. It also has great mid game utility thanks to will-o-wisp and destiny bond, allowing it to either weaken a threatening mon, or take down one of its usual counters, as well as being a pretty mediocre spin blocker (it blocks the turtles if you are a special set).

Also Natu to manly, cause only real men use it.

Offense:
(Choice Band)
Role: Wallbreaker / Utility
  • Excellent attack and high BP STAB in Close Combat
  • Can eliminate most common leads in NU thanks to Mold reaker
  • Has the coverage and power to eliminate threats like Golurk and Alomomola
  • Not the fastest Pokemon around, but base 85 Speed is still enough to outpace most defensive threats
  • Unfortunately gets cock-blocked by Bulky Psychic-types like Musharna
  • Doesn't due well against offensive teams due to its average Speed
(SMASHKOAL)
Role: Rapid Spin
  • Best Rapid Spinner on Offensive teams due to its ability to function as a secondary sweeper
  • Can outpace and OHKO Golurk with Fire Blast after a boost
  • Has enough Speed to Use Rapid Spin on Pokemon with base 86 Speed or lower
  • Has pretty good bulk, aiding its setup opportunities
  • Still slow after a boost
  • Common weaknesses make it hard to setup at times

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Offense:

Physical Sweepers:

(Dragon Dance)
  • DD+High Attack+Outrage=Pwn
  • Decent Speed for DD, so it can boost up and sweep away
  • Outrage is spammable, so it can sweep teams
  • Taunt also makes it a good stallbreaker
  • Overall a very underrated and lethal physical sweeper
Stall:

(RestTalk)
  • Walls Charizard and Jynx in one moveslot; beat that
  • Whirlwind with Rocks up is incredibly useful with the number of SR weak mons
  • Whirlwind also makes Munchlax not setup fodder
  • RestTalk and great special bulk make it a great special wall
  • Walls many special attackers
  • Paralysis is also quite good
  • Underrated special wall
Manly Teams:

Pure manliness

Deal with my shitty sprites

1. Offense (Wallbreaker)

• Choice Band reks
  • lol y was this not on there already
edit: o Soulgazer it was in the wrong section lol

3. Stall (Hazard Setter)

• SR + Awesome resists + Roar + Magic Coat = rape

4. Balance (Hazard Setters)

• Awesome typing that patches up many team's holes
  • EQ
  • dynamic punch for winning without skill.
4. Balance (utility I guess)

• Great wish passer and cleric
  • Can deal annoying status/damage with Body Slam or can phaze with Dragon Tail, depending on the team
7. Rain Team (setter)

• Prankster Rain Dance and Encore
  • U-Turn to sweepers

9. Niche Roles

• Baton Passes Speed Boosts (and Swords Dances it the opponent is really dumb) to sweepers
  • dies
10. manly

• no explanation needed (double smh down below)

Last edited:
9. Niche Roles

• Baton Passes Speed Boosts (and Swords Dances it the opponent is really dumb) to sweepers
  • dies
Gonna append on to this that Ninjask also has the niche of being goddamn fast and straight up wrecking sun sweepers and some other fast (or not so fast), frail attackers without priority. Sawk, Jynx, Ludicolo, Sawsbuck, Primeape, etc etc. It's bug and it's flying and it's goddamn fast.

I want to put Dragonair somewhere but im not entirely sure.
Put it on Bulky Offense as a physical sweeping boosting tank.
-Takes Special hits like nothing
-Has a great defensive typing
-Has marvel scale to increase its defense too
-Good offensive typing and sets up fairly easy

Same with Balance.

Im not totally sure about this but I personally really like Dragonair on stall as a specially defensive monster that just sits in your face while hopefully racking up Toxic Spikes damage (it's also the only mon for stall i know that can sweep occasionally which is not really the point of stall so im not sure)

Put Gothorita in niche because i don't really know what style it fits in best.
-Traps weak walls and sets up on them
-Removes walls

Also put CM Serperior as a Special Sweeper on Balance and Offense for it's ability to set up on common walls/hazard setters.
-Sets up easily with the combination of good bulk, speed and Taunt
-Giga Drain makes it all the more harder to take down

And put Drifblim, Serperior and Dragonair in manly if you know whats good for you ;)

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Adding Dragonair to Balance, Serperior in Offense/Balance,and Gothorita to Niche

Also those three aren't manly enough.

After thinking about it, I'm going to add Fabulous in the playstyles as I believe there's a good amount of cute and dangerous Pokemon in the tier (and because its my thread I can do w/e :pirate: ). Like Manly teams, nominating a Pokemon for this will require that you did a nomination of a Pokemon to another Playstyle!

As everyone know, Simisear is the cutest and the most fabulous Pokemon ever made, so it will be the first Pokemon added to this new list.

Also adding Simisear in Offense; Special Sweepers for these reasons:
  • Outspeeds base 95 Speed and Charizard, which is amazing.
  • Amazing coverage (Grass Knot, Focus Blast, and Hidden Power Rock is great) and has strong STABs in Fire Blast or the more reliable Flamethrower.
  • Blaze can crush some souls if you can remove the opponent's Pokemon that has priority moves.
  • ~(^.^)~

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Offense:
(Choice Band)
Role: Wallbreaker
  • Bar none strongest Flying move in the tier
  • Below average Speed, but terrorizes most slower Pokemon
  • Superpower means Rock- and Steel-types aren't safe, attaining perfect neutral coverage
  • Defiant counters Intimidate
  • Incredibly dangerous holepuncher that boasts great power and few safe switch-ins
Bulky Offense:
(SubBU)
Role: Physical Sweeper
  • Can easily setup on most walls
  • Fast enough to use Substitute before the walls can status it
  • Mono-Flying coverage is perfectly spammable
  • Bulk Up and Roost allows Braviary to turn the tides on Rock- and Steel-types that otherwise wall its mono-Flying coverage
  • Exploit weak link(s) for easy setup
  • Devastating setup sweeper
(Calm Mind)
Role: Special Sweeper
  • High Speed and good bulk allow for easy bulky boosting
  • Has Giga Drain to offset damage, permitting the use of Substitute and Life Orb
  • Fast Taunt / Substitute prevents a huge variety of non-attacking moves from disrupting setup
  • Fast and bulky, making revenge killing tricky
  • Underrated setup sweeper
(Mixed)
Role: Wallbreaker
  • Excellent coverage
  • Usable offensive stats and decent bulk
  • Can hit almost all popular walls for super effective damage
  • Levitate and Stealth Rock neutrality make it hard to wear down with passive damage
  • Easily dismantles stall

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Gonna append on to this that Ninjask also has the niche of being goddamn fast and straight up wrecking sun sweepers and some other fast (or not so fast), frail attackers without priority. Sawk, Jynx, Ludicolo, Sawsbuck, Primeape, etc etc. It's bug and it's flying and it's goddamn fast.
Not to start of an argument here but what set are you using? VM me the answer I'll run some calcs and edit them into this post... I would use the analysis but it's not on there.

Anyway... this post will be all over the place, sorry!

Bulky Offense:

Spinblockers:
Drifblim (Flare Boost Blimp)
  • Is ghost
  • Has Bulk
  • Hits powerfully with Flare Boost and high BP coverage attacks see: Thunder, Weather Ball in weather (I usually run Rain Dance on it :/)

Niche Roles:
Linoone (Belly Drum)
  • Needs support that ends up being his own style of team
  • Is really good if you play your cards right
Riolu (Phazer)
  • Needs support that ends up being his own style of team
  • Is really good if you play your cards right
Also I'm not sure but potentially Kingler (12345) and Armaldo could be Physical Attackers in Bulky Offense, they are both pretty similar to Samurott but I'm not sure if they are worth it so just putting it out there.

Well, the most notably threat I used, but isn't mentioned yet (to my surprise) is a notable Bulky Offense threat, Gurdurr.

Bulky Offense:
Gurdurr (Bulk Up):
Role: Bulky attacker
- Extremely bulky physical attacker that is hard to take down.
- Can set up on many opponents and proceed to punch a large hole in the opposing team.
- Drain Punch + Mach Punch access, only shared with Ledian (lol) in NU.

Oh, and for crumpets and giggles, I suggest this one for Manly:
Ledian:
Role: Being cute
- You need balls to use this. That alone makes it the manliest Pokémon ever.

Balance: (hazards)
Golem (stealth rocks)
  • solid normal and flying check
  • volt switch absorber
  • sturdy is gooood.
now put flareon in fabulous pls :)

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Misdreavus can go under the Heal Bell section on Stall as well and Alomomola into the Physical Wall section. Add Musharna to Heal Bell section as well for Stall.

You should probably add a section under Stall for Phazers, since they're pretty important to have. The initial list for them would be: Bastiodon, Misdreavus (Perish Song), Mandibuzz, Wartortle (Haze), Skuntank (Roar), and Eelektross (Roar) [Only I use this but it is fine :)]

Add Regice to Special Walls under Stall, with Wish and Heal Bell it can definitely pull its weight (Plus it's pretty good to pair with Wartortle if needed). Regice also helps out with Duosion thanks to Psych Up + Frost Breath.

Regirock to Physical Walls under Stall, it can wall a hell of a lot and set up SR and beat Braviary reliably. Plus the SR / Rock Slide / Drain Punch / Toxic set can put pressure on Mandibuzz who gays all over Stall teams.

Torkoal to Rapid Spinners under Stall. SR + Rapid Spin and stops Scolipede is pretty nice and Wish somewhat helps keep it alive.

Bronzor to Physical Walls under Stall, good typing works great vs Normal- and Flying-types including Zangoose, Sawsbuck, and Braviary and can spread Toxic around or slowly CM up which is pretty good.

Camerupt to Special Walls and Phazer section under Stall. Beats Electric-types (Including Eelektross who is really annoying to face) as well as Charizard. SR + Roar is really nice as well.

Musharna can fit in either Physical or Special Walls under Stall really since its good mixed defenses and Moonlight allow it to do so. Like said previously also gets Heal Bell.

Also since you specify the sets for the mons for each section you might as well directly link to the set. You can do that by adding #set_name_here at the end of the link
ie: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/musharna#Calm_Mind

add zweilous to phazers for stall, and also add roar piloswine
speaking of Piloswine, it should also be in physical walls for stall, cos its pretty bulky and deals with a lot of threats that stall teams might have trouble with.

can we just Charizard in general to offense. All sets, cos they all work awesomely. Obviously add SD to physical attackers and the others to special attackers, though I could see specs and power herb going under wallbreakers. Maybe put it in balance too?

also URSARING FOR MANLY :mad:

Pivot Liepard For Bulky Offense's Utility/Pivot. Bulky offenses largest weakness if getting set up over, and is thus susceptible to things like SD Samurott and Smash Gorebyss. Well not anymore. Pivot Liepard's amazing ability to shut down set up sweepers with Encore, as well as consistently Pursuit Trap and U-Turn to bring in the correct counter to an opponent's pokemon, makes it one of the Best candidates for said role on any bulky offense team. I understand that it is as of now in the VoltTurn team category, but it is seriously one of the best pokemon to have on any Bulky Offensive team.

For manliness: Clamperl. You got hella balls to use it, but that thing is hella scary in trick room.
Fabulous: Yanma, lets see you get a sweep with a cute little dragonfly :3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Offense:

(Hazard Setters):
(Utility)
  • Kills birds / Volt Switchers at the same time
  • Good physical bulk to tank Normal and Flying hits well
  • Breaks Subs w/ Rock Blast
  • Revenge kills with Sucker Punch
  • pwns swagpard nubz
(Physical Sweepers):
(Mono-Attacker)
  • Good bulk + Steel typing to set up relatively easy
  • Sets up on both offensive and defensive threats alike
  • Can absorb sleep / status in general thanks to RestTalk
  • Super hard to break down w/o a super effective hit
  • Can serve as a bulky pivot as well as a setup sweeper
(Special Sweepers):
(CM)
  • Can wall things and sweep at the same time
  • Sets up against half the tier
  • Can support w/ Heal Bell and Baton Pass
  • Bulky + CM + Moonlight = GG
(Pivots):
(Offensive Pivot)
  • Bulky + strong + good typing
  • Has Sleep Powder to cripple threats / disrupt opposing teams
  • Owns Regen cores
  • Reliable recovery + Natural Cure so it can switch in often
Manly:

• Duh

• Stache

Bulky Offense:

(hazard setters)

• Great offensive typing
  • Priority in Ice Shard to hit fast threats
  • Breaks Subs
  • also pwns swagpard

Offense:

(revenge killers)

• Awesome coverage
  • Shadow Ball is a great STAB
  • Great Speed to outrun most threats w/ a Scarf
  • Trick cripples walls
  • also fabulous w/ a scarf

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trick Room:

Sweepers:

(Thick Club)
  • Slow, hits pretty hard with Thick Club
  • Bonemerang is strong, and it has good coverage moves too
  • Doesn't have a great defensive typing but at least has usable bulk
  • Can do quite a bit of damage under the TR timer
  • Not too great outside of this strategy though

(Choice Band)
  • Manly Attack, and CB is a manly item
  • CB 165 Attack Head Smashes hit so hard it's not even funny
  • Neat coverage as well
  • Slow means it's good on TR
Setters:

(Suicide Trick Room)
  • Worst Ghost-type ever, Dusclops/Dusknoir are no match in shittiness
  • Fine on TR though; those terrible stats make it usable as a TR lead
  • Sash to set up TR, and Curse/D-Bond does something as Banette dies
  • Banette does nothing else
  • It's ugly
Fabulous Teams:

Musharna is just the cutest thing. Aside from being on of the best Pokemon in the tier; it's fabulous.

i kinda wish mesprit was nu cause it would be an auto inclusion in fabulous teams. cincy would be a great candidate as well, it was the cutest nu mon ever when it was nu.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Updated the thread.

Might aswell;

Bulky Offense (Pivot), (Hazard Setters), and (Tanks/Utility) and also in Balance (Utility)

• Slow Volt Switch is amazing.
  • One of the few Pokemon able to take TWO CHOICE SPECS FIRE BLAST FROM CHARIZARD!
  • Steel-type's awsome resistances make it a great pivot and gives it many chances to set up Stealth Rock.
  • Jynx does crap to it if she doesn't have Focus Blast.
  • Can stall out Musharna with Toxic and titanic defensive stats.
  • Can trap opponent's Steel-types.
Bulky Offense (Pivot)

• Slow Volt Switch OR U-Turn.
  • Resist Flying-type moves, which means it can take on SubBU Braviary.
  • Doesn't get worn down by Spikes and Toxic Spikes thanks to Levitate.
  • Strong and has good coverage to hit Ground- and Grass-types

Last edited:
Some more nominations!

Specially Defensive Ludicolo:
Tank / Utility
Stall | Balance | Bulky Offense
  • Supports leech seed for rest of team
  • Takes special hits extremely well
  • The best check in the game to Water type sweepers, making it vital to a lot of team's success that are dreadedly weak to Samurott and Simipour.
  • Unpredictable

Lead Cacturne:
Hazard Setter / Attacker
Balance | Offense | Bulky Offense
  • Can Sweep unprepared teams
  • Reliably gets up 1-2 layers of hazards
  • Gets a good matchup against the majority of common leads
  • Flexible playstyle (Like a second more hard hitting Scolipede)

Physically Defensive Golbat:
Utility / Tank
Bulky Offense | Stall
  • Helps bulky offense break stall, and is a reliable check to a vast majority of walls
  • One of the best checks to commonplace fighting types
  • Hits relatively hard
  • Has Reliable Recovery

Scarf Rotom:
Revenge Killer
Offense | Bulky Offense
  • Reliably checks Carracosta and Gorebyss after set up
  • Quick hard hitting revenge killers
  • Access to trick to shut down walls

Last edited:
Offense:
(Shell Smash)
Role: Physical Sweeper
  • Solid Rock lets it sets up on a bunch of offensive threats like Kangaskhan, Tauros, and Sawk not locked into Close Combat
  • Its STABs hit most of the mons in NU for at least neutral damage
  • Aqua Jet can revenge scarfers and faster threats in general

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)