Chunky and Chewy [Peak 1901/8th Place]

Introduction:
Welcome to my 3rd NU RMT everybody! To those who don't know me, my name is Brawlfest, and I adore NU. Either way, Chunky and Chewy was based around Banded Kangaskhan, a true monster. This team was able to make it up to an ACRE of 1901, which at the time was 8th on the ladder (1 week ago). In the current metagame, so many people run around with Silk Scarf Fake Out Kangaskhan, but in all truth, outside of being able to switch moves, it's really not much good. Banded Kangaskhan though? I can essentially click on Double Edge, and sit back and sip on my gin and juice as something dies a horrible death of a 176.4 pound Kangaroo jumping all over it's ass. In order to compensate for it's speed, I also run another uncommon threat in NU. Scarf Rotom-Frost. This Speedy refrigerator flies around NU at the speed of light utilizing STAB BoltBeam coverage to destroy everything's lives. So without further ado, here is the team!

The Team:

Cold Storage

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Absolutely one of the best yet one of the most underrated pokemon in the NU tier. Commonly thought of as the worst of the Rotom forms, I think of it as the second best, only outclassed by Rotom Wash. The reason? BoltBeam. STAB BoltBeam coverage is one of the most impressive things will ever see, hitting the entire NU Tier for Neutral Damage, which is freaking awesome. On top of that, with the Choice Scarf Equipped, I can shut down Walls with trick, and save myself from bad situations when I've let something like Carracosta or Gorebyss set up. Rotom-Frost really is a monster. While Blizzard is inaccurate and unreliable, it's still a good choice. The majority of the time, I find that Rotom is bulky enough to give itself the second chance to fire off Blizzard, and when it does hit, boy does it hit hard. OHKO'ing Golurk really helps my team out, and it annihilates Alomomola + Tangela, a combination which walls the rest of my team. Rotom-Frost truly is a monster, and has saved me in so many matches.

#STEROIDS

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Bulk Up Gurdurr is arguably one of the if not the best fighting pokemon in the metagame currently. Unlike other fighting types, it benefits from Burns and Paralyses, a huge advantage Gurdurr has over other fighting types, allowing it to sponge some status (not recklessly), and utilize that to it's advantage as it sets up all over the opponent's face. Gurdurr can amazingly set up against half the tier, and just start spamming Drain Punch to get health back, and finish lower opponents off with Mach Punch. Being able to tank hits is a huge asset to Gurdurr, as the premier Bulky set up sweeper of the NU Tier. It also helps me eliminate Skuntank and Liepard, who put stops to my defensive core, thus helping me maintain synergy throughout my team. Gurdurr was the clear best choice for this spot on my team.

Chewable!

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave

Pivot Mushy is the best Mushy. If you have seen any of my old RMT's you can tell I cannot live without a pivot of some kind, Volt-Turn/Pass is just too damn good. What's surprising about Musharna's of this type is that Thunder Wave actually fucks Skuntank over and Baton pass escape's it's wrath, allowing me to destroy it rather than it hurt me in any way. Of course, Lum Berry is becoming more popular on Skuntank now, so we still need to watch out. Although only slightly invested, Psychic hits the majority of the tier extremely hard, allowing mushy to be useful even when taunted, still being an extremely squishy and cute powerhouse. Moonlight is self explanitory, keeping my pink blob on the field as long as needed. Overall, Musharna is IMO the best Defensive Pivot/Wall in the game, building the first half of my defensive core.

Pina Colada

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 220 SDef / 248 HP / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Specially Defensive Ludicolo is amazing. It fills out the second part of my defensive core, supporting my team with Burns and Leech Seeds, allowing my team to stay alive, while slowly but surely widdling down the opponent. Even better, It beats Rain Dance sweeper Ludicolo, one of the biggest threats in the NU Metagame right now, 100% of the time, same with shell smash Gorebyss. It's amazing how well Ludicolo can put a full stop to water sweepers attempting to roll through my team, giving my team the backbone it needs to break through those powerful special sweepers. I've used far too many Swift Swim Ludicolos in the past, which does a great amazing job, but this time I've tried Specially Defensive Ludicolo. And it's completely blown my mind at how good it is, it's just too amazing. It's crazy good, Im loco for specially defensive Ludicolo, so dance on my friends!

Khan

Kangaskhan @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Return / Sleep Talk
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Fuck Silk Scarf Kangaroos. The Mongol Warlord does not bow down to anybody. Khan's empire was accredited with 30-40 million deaths. Our khan is no different, dealing around 50-60% of all the damage this team deals. I mean, this thing will seriously rape your children, and then tell it's child to beat your children up. Banded Kangaskhan is a monster, hitting an awe-inspiring 135 base attack. Factor in how powerful Double Edge is, and you've got a true bloodthirsty murderer in your hands. While the majority of Kangaskhans are silk scarf/life orb, I find Choice Band to give it a well needed boost in power, making it a heavy hitter as well as a reliable sweeper. We use Double Edge as our primary STAB, allowing us to jump and stomp all over anything in our way with a massive 120 base power STAB move. Earthquake give us a great way to hit Rock and Steel types who completely wall our primary attack. Finally, Sucker Punch not only a way to hit Ghost types super effectively but it also gives us a very, very powerful form of priority. Our final move is a bit of a toss-up, and both have served me well. Return allows us to hit hard early game, when we don't want to take outrageous recoil damage, but Sleep Talk gives the team a way to absorb sleep, making Kangaskhan all the more deadly. Overall, Banded Kangaskhan is truly one of the most underrated and uncommon powerhouses in the NU tier, and deserves far more usage.

GLaDOS

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 76 HP / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Would you like some cake? Well, the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System is here to deliver some with the 100% new and improved amounts of GLaDOSomness. But seriously, Golurk is my number one choice outside of Probopass for a stealth rock setter, being one of the hardest hitting options for the role as well. Reliably setting rocks up, Golurk is decently bulky, but what it lacks in bulk it makes up for in sheer power. Simply put, Golurk is a freaking monster, dealing with much of the NU tier like a piece of cake (the puns). STAB Earthquake is monstrous, and when paired with Iron Fist boosted Shadow Punch and Drain Punch, Golurk demolishes half the tier without breaking a sweat. It is absolutely my favorite pokemon, and with the correct predictions, can break through more than half of an opponent's team within the first ten turns. So enter the portal and prepare to die.

Cold Storage (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

#STEROIDS (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Chewable! (Musharna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave

Pina Colada (Ludicolo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 220 SDef / 248 HP / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Khan (Kangaskhan) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

GLaDOS (Golurk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 84 HP / 172 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I hope you enjoy the team as much as I have, as I truly have had a ton of fun with this team, as while it uses some unconventional sets, it does quite well on the ladder. I hope that it will serve you all well in the future, and if you have an suggestions, please comment below because I would love to hear them! :)

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Brawlfest! This is a rather solid team. Banded Kangaskhan does look really interesting.

Firstly, I see a large weakness to Toxic Spikes, since you have nothing to absorb them. Meanwhile, they can easily wear down a large number of your team, since only Rotom-F is immune and everyone else prefers to have longevity. I suggest Specially Defensive Roselia over Ludicolo. This allows you to check Water-types all the same, but at the same time give you another dedicated status absorber and a sure-fire way to beat Alomomola. At the same time, it can even lay down entry hazards, depending on whether you prefer Spikes or Toxic Spikes.

This second change is optional, but atm your team seems vulnerable to Swellow. While you do have Rotom-F to revenge it, nothing else on your team can switch into it and you're forced to sac something every time it hits the field. Hence, I suggest Alomomola over Musharna. Alomomola can't check Sawk as well as Mush, but it can switch in and pivot out thanks to Regenerator, and you have Pokemon to switch into every of Sawk's moves. The added bonus is that it avoids the 2HKO from Swellow, and you can proceed to Protect stall Toxic Orb variants. At the same time, it passes huge wishes to the rest of the team which is otherwise susceptible to residual damage, and forms a very solid defensive core with Roselia.

Finally, you can try running HP Ice over Trick on Rotom-F to give you a reliable move to finish off opponents, but that's really up to you.

Hope I helped!

Hey Brawlfest! This is a rather solid team. Banded Kangaskhan does look really interesting.

Firstly, I see a large weakness to Toxic Spikes, since you have nothing to absorb them. Meanwhile, they can easily wear down a large number of your team, since only Rotom-F is immune and everyone else prefers to have longevity. I suggest Specially Defensive Roselia over Ludicolo. This allows you to check Water-types all the same, but at the same time give you another dedicated status absorber and a sure-fire way to beat Alomomola. At the same time, it can even lay down entry hazards, depending on whether you prefer Spikes or Toxic Spikes.

This second change is optional, but atm your team seems vulnerable to Swellow. While you do have Rotom-F to revenge it, nothing else on your team can switch into it and you're forced to sac something every time it hits the field. Hence, I suggest Alomomola over Musharna. Alomomola can't check Sawk as well as Mush, but it can switch in and pivot out thanks to Regenerator, and you have Pokemon to switch into every of Sawk's moves. The added bonus is that it avoids the 2HKO from Swellow, and you can proceed to Protect stall Toxic Orb variants. At the same time, it passes huge wishes to the rest of the team which is otherwise susceptible to residual damage, and forms a very solid defensive core with Roselia.

Finally, you can try running HP Ice over Trick on Rotom-F to give you a reliable move to finish off opponents, but that's really up to you.

Hope I helped!
I will definitely play around with Roselia, as it is one of my favorite NU grass types, and I do have quite a connection to it, and it appears like it would fit the current role nicely, so I will definitely look into it.

HP Ice > Trick sounds interesting, I'll test it!

My problem with Alomomola, is that it can't spread paralysis, something this team needs so much in order to succeed it isn't even funny, so I will pass on that suggestion.

But I'll make sure to look into roselia and see if I can make the change! Thank you!

The problem with Roselia is that CM Musharna can setup on three members and prepare to destroy the team.
Actually, CM Musharna isn't that bad even if I add Roselia, as I can Trick it a Scarf, or simply hit it hard with Golurk's Shadow Punch + Kangaskhan's Assaults. My primary worry about Roselia is that it's so fragile on the physical side, that if I slip up at all, I lose it. I also worry that while it checks many water types, they also tend to carry Ice Beam, something Ludicolo isn't susceptible to. However, it is still a reliable choice.

how well is blizzard working for you? the main reason there is so much hate around Rotom-F is that both its ice STAB options are either too weak or too inaccurate.
I would recommend scarf Jynx over scarf Rotom-F because its has a better ice STAB, Lovely kiss, and also has trick.
Keep in mind this gives a large dark weakness to your team, so if I can think of something later to reduce this I will post it.

Nice job on using Banded Kangaskhan though.

Hope I helped!

how well is blizzard working for you? the main reason there is so much hate around Rotom-F is that both its ice STAB options are either too weak or too inaccurate.
I would recommend scarf Jynx over scarf Rotom-F because its has a better ice STAB, Lovely kiss, and also has trick.
Keep in mind this gives a large dark weakness to your team, so if I can think of something later to reduce this I will post it.

Nice job on using Banded Kangaskhan though.

Hope I helped!
Hey man, I actually used to have scarfed Jynx. The only reason I ever use Rotom frost is the fact that Volt Switch is such a good asset in the current metagame. To be honest, Blizzard doesn't worry me because Rotom is actually far bulkier than you think, and actually finds multiple chances to fire them off! Thank you for the input though!! :)

Per the rules, here is my one and only *bump* in an attempt to get more feedback and seek more guidance on the team.

Last edited:
Possible Changes in the Near Future:

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes

As suggested by scorpdestroyer, I have been trying out Specially Defensive Roselia. While it doesn't check water types as well as Ludicolo, it alleviates the issue of toxic spikes, and allows me to set up layers of entry hazards on the opponents side as well, which my team really appreciates.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 144 Def / 248 HP / 116 Spd
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

While Mandibuzz isn't as bulky as Musharna, it is more capable of dealing with physical attackers, with Foul Play as it's main STAB to utilize the opponent's offenses to it's advantage. Taunt and Toxic help support the rest of my team, helping prevent certain statuses or hazards, while spreading consistent damage around. This also has great synergy with Roselia / Ludicolo!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)