A Guide to EV Training with Hordes

Can you rename "Fast Special" to something else? I thought it meant, like, the best way to get SpA EV's. I got confused :x

Only the Pokemon holding the item received additional EVs.
So if, for example, all my Pokemon have Pokerus, and my Mienfoo has a Macho Brace equipped, and I beat a horde of Wingull with my Barbaracle, does the Mienfoo receive the 10 Spe EV's that Barbaracle received or will the Macho Brace double it for just Mienfoo, giving it 20 Spe EV's while Barbaracle receives 10?

That is completely ridiculous. We can have teams of fully EV trained Pokemon in minutes without even having to send them into battle. I'm so happy right now.

EDIT: Holy crap, bigkahuna07 has been here since '09 and just now made his / her first post.

Last edited:
so let me try and get this straight let's say I have my lapras take out a horde of wingulls with a surf and I have just a oddish and an abra holding a macho brace will the abra get 10 speed evs and the lapras get 5? (I just want to be sure on the math and method plz?)

so let me try and get this straight let's say I have my lapras take out a horde of wingulls with a surf and I have just a oddish and an abra holding a macho brace will the abra get 10 speed evs and the lapras get 5? (I just want to be sure on the math and method plz?)

With XP Share turned on:
Lapras (No Item) gets 5 Spe EVs
Oddish (No Item) gets 5 Spe EVs
Abra (Macho Brace) gets 10 Spe EVs
Hypothetical Aron (Power Lens) gets 20 SpA EVs and 5 Spe EVs
Hypothetical Mew (No item, FAINTED) gets 0 EVs.

With XP share on it's irrelevant who actually did the fighting.

I got some questions about this;

1. When referring to power items, that includes the Power Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band etc but not the Macho Brace, or is that not in this game?
2. With these by how much do the EV's received increase, from say a horde of Aron giving a total of 5Def, is it x2?
3. Adding on from the previous amount, by how much more do they increase with Pokerus, is it still x2?

Of course, just to make sure I do this properly, all I need is Sweet Scent / EXP Share turned on? But all I'm really confused about is the EV amounts gained after horde battles, of course, they increase depending on how much the Pokemon yield. Otherwise, thanks in advanced, it will be much appreciated :)

I got some questions about this;

1. When referring to power items, that includes the Power Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band etc but not the Macho Brace, or is that not in this game?
2. With these by how much do the EV's received increase, from say a horde of Aron giving a total of 5Def, is it x2?
3. Adding on from the previous amount, by how much more do they increase with Pokerus, is it still x2?

Of course, just to make sure I do this properly, all I need is Sweet Scent / EXP Share turned on? But all I'm really confused about is the EV amounts gained after horde battles, of course, they increase depending on how much the Pokemon yield. Otherwise, thanks in advanced, it will be much appreciated :)
With EXP Share turned on, all pokemon in your party receive the EVs as if they had taken part in the battle themselves and any items that modify EV yield such as macho brace or power items apply their bonus and then pokerus multiplies all this x2

Not to my knowledge, but I will double check.
Thanks. I'm finding out I'll have to use the power items and horde battles mode. I'll start thinking through my first competitive team next week, so I'm already planning everything

I'm currently grinding the Wonder Trade in order to farm pokémiles to get Rare Candies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I made the guide more comprehensive. It should answer all of the questions posted in this thread.
I also color-coded all encounters and added a list of efficient EV training routes.

Is the list in the first post complete? That is, is lists every single possible horde encounter in the game?
Yes, every horde battle is listed in this guide.

Heads up on the majority of the DEFENSE pokes have sturdy lol

Only one on the list who doesn't have it would be Durant

If you can find a Mold Breaker Excadrill, it resolves the Sturdy issue. It should be a pretty good horde-killer with EQ / Rock Slide.

Alternatively, Razor Leaf has 25 pp so you won't risk running out while EV training, though it does take a bit longer.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Some sites are claiming the existence of Gurdurr hordes in Victory Road, but I have personally never encountered one. Can anyone affirm their existence?

List of all pokemon that can be found in hordes but not in the friend safari (for hidden ability purposes):
  1. plusle
  2. minun
  3. scraggy
  4. psyduck
  5. hoppip
  6. roselia
  7. taillow
  8. zangoose
  9. yanma
  10. houndour
  11. elektrike
  12. nidoranf
  13. nidoranm
  14. starly
  15. stunky
  16. tauros
  17. ampharos
  18. miltank
  19. ekans
  20. bellsprout
  21. murkrow
  22. foongus
  23. geodude
  24. heatmor
  25. durant
  26. gligar
  27. sudowoodo
  28. scyther
  29. swablu
  30. zubat
  31. mimejr
  32. carbink
  33. smoochum
  34. vanillite
  35. aron
  36. lotad
  37. lickitung
  38. timburr
  39. slowpoke
  40. exeggcute
I listed only the lowest evolution of each line.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
This thread is about EV training and that list will not be added to the OP. It's pretty easy to glean from the information that is currently there, anyway.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Some sites are claiming the existence of Gurdurr hordes in Victory Road, but I have personally never encountered one. Can anyone affirm their existence?
I'd like to add that the guide does not mention any Gurdurr hordes either, nor have I encountered Timburr hordes. I am very much confused where this came from.

Great job though Stellar :)

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
A question: do pokerus, macho brace and/or power item work with super training?
To follow-up on this question, I can confirm that Pokerus and EV items (Macho Brace, Power Belt, etc) do NOT affect Super Training in any way.

I do find Super Training useful as confirmation that any given EV truly is maxed out, and to finish off a round of EV training without having to track down the appropriate wild Pokemon. Hordes are best for quickly getting one or two EVs at or near max, though.

To follow-up on this question, I can confirm that Pokerus and EV items (Macho Brace, Power Belt, etc) do NOT affect Super Training in any way.

I do find Super Training useful as confirmation that any given EV truly is maxed out, and to finish off a round of EV training without having to track down the appropriate wild Pokemon. Hordes are best for quickly getting one or two EVs at or near max, though.
Thanks a lot for the confirmation.

ive found the best way to train like this is using a vespiquen. it gets sweet scent and struggle bug. once its a pretty decent lvl itll one sot most hordes and you can train 5 pokes at once instead of needing one poke for sweet scent and one to wipe out the horde
in addition I find the floatzel hordes in victory horde to be the best place to speed ev train they appear quite commonly with sweet scent and its easy enough to run away from the more common geodude hordes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)