Pokémon Trevenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a set I saw... I forgot where.

Set Name: The B-Tree (by NotBlameTruth)
Trevenant @Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP/140 Def/116 Spd (subject to change, feel free to criticize)
Impish (Same as above)
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-CURSE
-Synthesis/Shadow Claw/Seed Bomb.

CURSE activates the Berry. Substitute first, then seed up, activate the Sitrus Berry, Curse, then just stall.
Only Curse when you have Harvested a Berry and you have seeded.
Shadow Claw can do a pretty respectable amount.
Speed EVs outspeeds Politoed and other crap.

I think Trevenant's best set would be the SubSeed set, since as Exeggutor has shown in the BW NU, Harvest is a really cheap ability, and with a Sitrus Berry and Leech Seed, Trevenant can be really difficult to defeat once it gets a Sub up. Curse is also a pretty cool option if you want and between it and Leech Seed, the opponent will have a lot of trouble staying alive for long. I think it would be decent as an annoyer or stally Pokemon.

I could see other sets possibly working, like TR and such, although Trick Room is quite a rare strategy and boosting sets are quite outclassed, as Punchshroom said. Trick Room does look cool though, but I think I'd prefer Reuniclus for TR needs.
I disagree with it's boosting sets being completely outclassed hone claw is actually a great asset to it. You can kill a lot of things once high damaging physical Attackers are gone. Also I doubt this guy will drop all the way to UU his typing and reasonable bulk can keep him in UU or OU. I've been running and winning with a hone claw set since before the ladder started and I'm still doing well after. Swept many teams and I've done damage to a lot of others.

I do think that with offensive sets however you should go for natural cure. Harvest is cool and all but it has no place on an offensive set IMO not to mention it give you status absorber

I do think that with offensive sets however you should go for natural cure. Harvest is cool and all but it has no place on an offensive set IMO not to mention it give you status absorber
Harvest with Lum Berry is much safer, as it doesn't require you to switching out.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Harvest with Lum Berry is much safer, as it doesn't require you to switching out.
If it's an offensive set you want a lot of power; Choice Band/Life Orb/elemental item with Natural Cure will be better than harvest Lum Berry against... well most teams. Actually all teams except some versions of stall.

That is true, but you're also not guaranteed to get harvest when it counts.

If it's an offensive set you want a lot of power; Choice Band/Life Orb/elemental item with Natural Cure will be better than harvest Lum Berry against... well most teams. Actually all teams except some versions of stall.
Bulky offensive pokemon are actually more prone to run leftovers than anything. I don't really see a reason to run harvest on the offensive set though since I'm losing residual health gaining. I do have leech horn on the set (or wood hammer) but that match up based on when if like to use it.

Scotti

we back.
Ok after seeing this set in action i think this might be a potential trevenant set, but i want some more opinions on it.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect / Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Claw
- Curse

A user posted this set earlier, but i really didn't think much about it until i saw it in action, and i must say if you lack a taunter or a pokemon with Magic Guard or Magic Bounce (if they don't carry shadow claw) it is going to be one long an hard fought match if you let this tree guy setup. Here is when someone in the OU room was talking about this set and battles with it and i must say it was pretty good, here is the replay: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-60140447
As you can see it got work done for a large portion of the match. All i really want to know is what is your opinion on the set, and you should also try it out before you dismiss it, because i though it was pretty bad, before i tried it out and saw it in action.

Any Opinions

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Would it not be more benefiical to run an ev spread with more def/spdef evs as oppsoed to hp? You lose a bit of bulk but sitrus berry becomes much more efficient

Scotti

we back.
Would it not be more benefiical to run an ev spread with more def/spdef evs as oppsoed to hp? You lose a bit of bulk but sitrus berry becomes much more efficient
Yeah, I will look for a better EV spread. I just really threw the set out there without caring much on the EV spread lol.

I disagree with it's boosting sets being completely outclassed hone claw is actually a great asset to it. You can kill a lot of things once high damaging physical Attackers are gone. Also I doubt this guy will drop all the way to UU his typing and reasonable bulk can keep him in UU or OU. I've been running and winning with a hone claw set since before the ladder started and I'm still doing well after. Swept many teams and I've done damage to a lot of others.

Look Trevenant's pretty good and its got a lot of sets it can run effectively, but do you really think it will be OU? Let's not overestimate 90 / 70 / 80 here. That's about the same bulk as crobat, which is, compared to the other defensive behemoths in the tier, rather poor. That means even strong neutral hits can straight up OHKO it despite its good typing. Yes, it's got decent attack, but suffers from pretty poor speed so it's difficult to utilize effectively and more likely than not will be forced to fill a defensive role. That being said, it does counter some important OU pokes pretty well, but at the same time so do a lot of other pokes that were UU last gen. I can't really see this thing holding its own in OU when all other harvest abusers are NU, especially once some even stronger OU pokes rejoin the game in december, like heatran and latios. My guess is that Trev will hopefully be UU but possibly RU depending on the amount of power creep in underused.

Look Trevenant's pretty good and its got a lot of sets it can run effectively, but do you really think it will be OU? Let's not overestimate 90 / 70 / 80 here. That's about the same bulk as crobat, which is, compared to the other defensive behemoths in the tier, rather poor. That means even strong neutral hits can straight up OHKO it despite its good typing. Yes, it's got decent attack, but suffers from pretty poor speed so it's difficult to utilize effectively and more likely than not will be forced to fill a defensive role. That being said, it does counter some important OU pokes pretty well, but at the same time so do a lot of other pokes that were UU last gen. I can't really see this thing holding its own in OU when all other harvest abusers are NU, especially once some even stronger OU pokes rejoin the game in december, like heatran and latios. My guess is that Trev will hopefully be UU but possibly RU depending on the amount of power creep in underused.
I don't know. Honestly I do believe that it is quite capable of being run in OU and used effectively. This guy I bulkier than you may think 90/70/80 isn't bad it I fact allows it to take a hit from modest life orb gengar and then ohko it using it's 110 attack e stat not many pokemon can take a stab shot from the Gman. Now you're right things will change once we get pokebank all ready to go! BUT they also change for the better with politoad helping him out he can survive heatran pretty nicely. Even without rain a fire blast from a modest heatran isn't guaranteed to ko max hp/spdef trev and a fire blast from a timid one has less than a 10% chance to ohko. In the rain modest heatran has a little fee a 50% chance to two shot it .

Specs latios hits him hard also but doesn't kill him

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 285-336 (74.21 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(285, 288, 291, 295, 298, 301, 304, 309, 312, 315, 318, 322, 325, 328, 331, 336)

I think this guy can do well in th

So i didn't see this mentioned yet, and though it is a bit gimmicky, i had some fun playing around with it.

Trevenant @ Starf Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 244 HP / 12 Atk
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Protect
- Phantom Force

Essentially the old tropius starf berry tactic, but better.
You try to switch into something that is either sleeping, or doesn't have any dangerous attacks, and use substitute. Afterwards you use curse, and your starf berry will activate. Then protect + phantom force to stall, and hope you get the right boosts. For the EV's only the hp ones are certain, because with other hp investment, you won't get the starf berry after substitute + curse.

Anyway, what do you think?

Trevenant @ Starf Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 244 HP / 12 Atk
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Protect
- Phantom Force

Essentially the old tropius starf berry tactic, but better.
You try to switch into something that is either sleeping, or doesn't have any dangerous attacks, and use substitute. Afterwards you use curse, and your starf berry will activate. Then protect + phantom force to stall, and hope you get the right boosts. For the EV's only the hp ones are certain, because with other hp investment, you won't get the starf berry after substitute + curse.

Anyway, what do you think?
That sounds cool but it needs prior setup, maybe too situational. It desperately needs some kind of hp recovery. This is what I use to stall almost anything really, except for gale wings talonflame atm:

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Curse

Switch on to something that resists the hit, leech seed, WoW, curse... just wait.

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD (custom): 221-260 (54.7 - 64.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Trevenant isn't going to be replacing Jellicent anytime soon guys.

Something in theory
Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry / Harvest / Careful
EVs: (Help)
Substitute
Leech Seed
Curse
Horn Leech/Will O Wisp (WoW)

I really like this moveset but am at a loss as to what the EV spread should be. As I read I see things like when using SubSeed and/or Sitrus Berry you should have min to no HP investment but that just doesn't make sense to me. If Curse or Belly Drum is being used then I know the HP should be at an even number to trigger the Berry but wouldn't you want the most HP you can possibly get? If you're sapping health from the foe, that number is completely based off them so why would you want to have the same number of Hit Points but be in the yellow rather than green? Or did I just answer my own question because that would trigger the Berry..Help, please

Can everyone please stop acting like harvest + sitrus is the best use of harvest. No matter what you do, lum + rest is better. It is so much more reliable, and also protects It from status. This being said, idk how useful trevenant is otherwise, but at least use lum rest
Sitrus is in fact the superior berry in the trollish sub seed set with protect and curse. Trevenant just so frail and slow he cannot afford to waste a turn to use Rest. As long as he has a sub up, he cannot be status'd anyways, barring Infiltrator shennanigan.

If an attacker don't 1HKO him outright, his Sitrus will allow him to get at least a sub up, and from there seed/protect depends on the situation as you stall for the harvest to get the sitrus berry back.

I've gotten sitrus activation + Harvest and another activation from the same turn. 50% heal which doesn't cost you any turn is amazing and can turn the match up around.

Trevenant is not a good subseeder simply because it's base 56 speed is to lackluster to , it's bulk is decent but not good enough for a subseed set.

When using the Curse/Seed/Protect set, are people using it with Sun to get the most out of Harvest, or are they leaving it to chance that they will regain the Berry they are using?

If you want a bulky haunted plant run Gourgeist. Sure you dont have Harvest/Natural cure but it takes hits better than trevenant, is faster (dependent on size) so quicker wilowisps, and gets priority which lets be fair...Trev wishes he had ShadowSneak with his base attack even on a defensive set.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gourgeist may be bulkier or faster, but no recovery outside of Pain Split is what really hampers it. LumRest or Harvest/Sitrus may not be ideal outside of sun, but it's definitely an improvement, and can frustrate opponents greatly with just a bit of luck. Of course Gourgeist still has its advantages, I just see it as a trade-off, similar to Golem and Rhydon back in RBY.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here is a nice little combo i have been using lately:

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Phantom Force

+

Blaziken @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Fire Blast

The strategy is simple: set up a Substitute with Blaziken on something you scare out, as Gyarados / Azumarill / Slowbro / Rotom-W switch into you. Then either Baton Pass immediately the Sub with a +1 Speed boost, or if you know that the opponent can't set up use Protect to grab a second Speed boost and Baton Pass the next turn. Trevenant can easily switch into Water attacks from those Pokemon and start stalling the shit out of everything. Even if Azumarill went for Play Rough you can still bring Trevenant in for free thanks to Sub, burn Azumarill with WoW, and then slowly stall it out. Honestly, this Trevenant is outright crazy with a few Speed boosts. At +2 it outspeeds everything up to base 110s, such as Gengar, can burn physical attackers before they can move and slowly stall them out or throw a Leech Seed to special attackers, take most special hits from full life with its good special bulk, and start stall them to death too. If you do this right and you have taken Fire-types out, Trevenant can easily clean whole teams by itself. Obviously hazard support makes this strategy even more effective.

Trevenant's EV spread is this of the second set on its preview, with enough Speed to outrun min Speed Skarmory, Scizor, and Tyranitar (so you can burn them before they can fuck you up with Brave Bird / Pursuit / U-turn / Crunch) and the rest to special bulk as its typing is more suited to tanking special attacks. Blaziken's spread allows it to 2HKO physically defensive Hippowdon, a common answer to SubPass Blaziken, as well as OHKO most Steel-types and dent Aegislash while avoiding King's Shield. It is also fast enough to outrun Modest Choice Scarf Rotom-W after one Protect, so it can set up on its face and Baton Pass to Trevenant.

Just make sure to carry something to deal with Fire-types, especially Talonflame, which can fuck up both Pokemon with priority Brave Bird, and you are good to go.

I finally got around to testing that Trevenant set I posted a while back. While I lost my first match, I must say that I'm very proud of how Trevenant performed.

The replay: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-60608894

I'm SevilitheArcanine, obviously.

I happened to be using a Monotype team (Ghost and Dark) but that's besides the point.

EDIT: Switching to the following set from now on:
Yggdrasil (Trevenant) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech

Trevenant being even more epic: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-60712299

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how I feel about not having any direct attacks but anyway, thinking of running with:

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Forest's Curse
- Rest

It's for a Greninja/Trevenant/Heatran core, hits the opponent with burn and/or seed (depending on how many turns he can last against the opponent), then turn's them into a grass type to be destroyed by Ice Beam/Lava Plume, then Rest's and switches out.
Thoughts?

I'm not sure how I feel about not having any direct attacks but anyway, thinking of running with:

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Forest's Curse
- Rest

It's for a Greninja/Trevenant/Heatran core, hits the opponent with burn and/or seed (depending on how many turns he can last against the opponent), then turn's them into a grass type to be destroyed by Ice Beam/Lava Plume, then Rest's and switches out.
Thoughts?
I'm not entirely sure what happens if you seed a Pokemon, and THEN turn them into Grass Type. If it cancels out your Leech Seed, then this set can become pretty counterproductive. If not, then it's still way too easy for your opponent to switch out and negate everything.
Also, like you've noted, you get stopped cold by Taunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)