Pokémon Noivern

Status
Not open for further replies.
His U-turn will hit for shit either way, its basically just to frisk scout and get the switch, so just go timid.

I still just don't get boomburst, nerf special moves, 140 BP 100% acc move with no drawback that hits through subs.

Its limited to sub 100 SpA, but still

I've been using the following set

Noivern@ life orb
252 Spa 252 Spe 4Hp
Frisk

Draco meteor
Boomburst
Flamethrower
U-turn

It is very good at scouting the opponents team for move sets/items and it hits decently hard but it is sadly walled hard by heatran. It can only u-turn out for appitance. All in all though I find the power of Draco meteor to be pretty good and it's speed allows it to outspeed a lot of mons.

I'm kind of new to smogon and competitive battling so forgive me if this post doesn't sound right but I've been using it on pokemon showdown and it has been quite substantial in gaining momentum for my team. I feel noivern is an underrated threat in Ou but it can be handy in certain situations.

I'm really having trouble figuring out EV spread beyond 252 in SAtk. Should it go to speed, special d, HP, or a combo? BTW, when people put Spd do they mean speed or special defense?

I'd say that Speed is the way to go with Noivern. His specialty is to hit fast and hard or simply U-turn out of there. Noivern doesn't seem to have the bulk to withstand any punishment anyway.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with Noivern is that so many people carry a poke with Ice Shard due to the need to kill Garchomp, Dragonite, and Gliscor. Noivern is just one more 4x Ice Weakness added to the list. It makes me regret not having an Ice Sharder on my team...

Man, I gotta get me a Mamoswine.

Hello Xialouis, welcome to Smogon!

Anyways, in my personal opinion i probably wouldn't be running Hasty or Naive on U-turn Noivern over a Timid nature. Sure, it maximizes the possible U-turn damage, but Noivern's base attack is pretty mediocre regardless, especially without any investment, so those U-turns will still end up being pretty weak regardless of nature :x. Not to mention that Noivern ends up sacrificing some bulk by running either hasty or naive, which could end up really messing you up if Timid Noivern would be able to survive a certain hit otherwise, definitely not worth the marginally stronger scouting move imo.

Also, as for roost, i feel like it could be useful simply for healing off Stealth Rock/possible Life Orb damage if you get a free turn if nothing else, so i'd definitely give it consideration. A good time to try using Roost with Noivern is on some sort of forced switch. Noivern's great Speed stat and possible high BP attacks are bound to scare the opponent out quite a bit, giving you the perfect opportunity to use Roost to recover off some of that residual damage. Of course, there are definitely times where simply attacking would be a better idea, so you have to be careful, especially if the opponent doesn't absolutely need the Pokemon you're attempting to force out.

Hope i helped :x.

Btw kinda late on this but i finally remembered to edit in the exact base stats for Noivern into the OP! it seems like Noivern's exact base stats are 85/70/80/97/80/123, for reference.
Thanks for the nice reply. Put my mind at ease. I'm gonna test it out a bit. Probably gonna run u-turn with infiltrator anyways and see how it works.

Hi guys!
I'm new to Smogon but I've been reading the forums for a while now.

Two things:
1.- If we're using Frisk, wouldn't be nice to try Torment? If you see a Choice band/scarf/specs you'll force your oponent to struggle the next turn or force a switch. If he stays (and survive) you can U-turn and send any ghost you have arround or any counter for the like.
2.- I'm pretty interested in trying Noivern, does anyone have any spare to share with some trained IVs?

Hi guys!
I'm new to Smogon but I've been reading the forums for a while now.

Two things:
1.- If we're using Frisk, wouldn't be nice to try Torment? If you see a Choice band/scarf/specs you'll force your oponent to struggle the next turn or force a switch. If he stays (and survive) you can U-turn and send any ghost you have arround or any counter for the like.
2.- I'm pretty interested in trying Noivern, does anyone have any spare to share with some trained IVs?
1. Too situational. You're going to be using up a precious moveslot to run Torment just in case you run into Choice users. Noivern really shouldn't be trying gimmicks at all, it should be making use of that great speed stat to hit fast and hit hard when it's on the field.

2. Not me (✌゚∀゚)✌

The best part is that Mega's use the speed stat of the Pokemon they Mega-evolved from in the first turn, so even if they Mega-Evolve he can still nail them with a LO Draco meteor. This is fantastic because it means pokemon like Mega-Gengar can easily be OHKO'd or severely weakened if they face each other.

This guy is going to be an amazing cleaner and revenge killer.

*edit, this is my first time doing this but for instance I calculated a LO Draco Meteor Vs normal and Mega Gengar and it's a guaranteed OHKO every single time on both forms.

Normal Gengar
252+ SpA Life Orb (129.88 - 152.87%) -- guaranteed OHKO

On Mega Gengar
252+ SpA Life Orb (106.51 - 126.05%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Considering how powerful Mega-Gengar is going to be with Shadow Tag doing that much damage right of the bat is nice. Their are barely any pokemon that out-speed Gengar anyways.

Plus I believe Serebii said that substitutes no longer block infiltrate. Though if someone can test this for sure, I'd appreciate that. As I don't want another Greninja/Rapid Spin fiasco =[

This guy is going to be great =D

But Mega Gengar outspeeds and OHKOs every time lol

Air Cutter doesn't bypass subs on it's own. With infiltrator it can, but it's so weak why would you use it over Boomburst/Infiltrator-Draco Meteor? Heck, why not use air slash or Hurricane with infiltrator if you're desperate to have a flying move?
Yeah true. Infiltrator is such a damn good ability.

What is the best ability for this pokemon? Frisk or infiltrator?
Infiltrator completely bypsses reflect, light screen etc, essentially giving the middle finger to Klefki and it's team buffs not only that but (in Generation VI) allows you to hit a Pokemon that used Substitute. Easy ability
Frisk will let you see the opponents item and use moves such as thief to turn use against them(Leftover/life orb etc). Strategic ability.

Depends on what you're going for.
I'm using Frisk though Infiltrator is worth breeding/ability capsuling.

I saw that Noivern gets Switcheroo as an egg move so MAYBE a Frisk + Switcheroo choice set could be cool to cripple walls, but may be too gimmicky. Just the creative side of my mind functioning here.

Noivern@ life orb
252 Spa 252 Spe 4Hp
Frisk

Draco meteor
Boomburst
Flamethrower
U-turn

It is very good at scouting the opponents team for move sets/items and it hits decently hard but it is sadly walled hard by heatran. It can only u-turn out for appitance. All in all though I find the power of Draco meteor to be pretty good and it's speed allows it to outspeed a lot of mons.

I'm kind of new to smogon and competitive battling so forgive me if this post doesn't sound right but I've been using it on pokemon showdown and it has been quite substantial in gaining momentum for my team. I feel noivern is an underrated threat in Ou but it can be handy in certain situations.
I have been using a Noivern that is identical to yours in almost every way and it has been to doing very well. The only difference with mine is that I have Taunt instead of Draco meteor. I find that Taunt works to make Noivern a sort of anti-lead capable of stopping SR and Sticky web. Draco meteor is pretty redundant with Boomburst and forces you to switch, potentially letting them set up on you.

Noivern@ life orb
252 Spa 252 Spe 4Hp
Frisk

Draco meteor
Boomburst
Flamethrower
U-turn

hidden power ground instead of boomburst?

hidden power ground instead of boomburst?
Hidden power, ironically, doesn't pack enough power for Noivern. It's only real use would be to hit Heatran and Magnezone for 4x super-effective, but they would likely survive the hit and can run Air balloon. Remember that Noivern's base SpA is less than 100.

I saw that Noivern gets Switcheroo as an egg move so MAYBE a Frisk + Switcheroo choice set could be cool to cripple walls, but may be too gimmicky. Just the creative side of my mind functioning here.
A switcheroo specs set on something this fast sounds amazing tbh. I'm loving Noivern's utility.

I'm also loving the fact that it's kind of like a Crobat that Weavile can actually outspeed and OKO. hahaha.

A switcheroo specs set on something this fast sounds amazing tbh. I'm loving Noivern's utility.

I'm also loving the fact that it's kind of like a Crobat that Weavile can actually outspeed and OKO. hahaha.
Agreed. It makes me sad when I see others just slap Infiltrator and Draco meteor on it. Sure, it can work, but Noivern can be so much more interesting than that! It should also be noted that Frisk synergizes really well with Switcheroo.

Right, but once your opponent sees you have Frisk, I doubt they're going to stay in and let you switcheroo their tank. That's the only real problem I see with this strategy.

Still if it forces switches, that's a good thing. Making your opponent guess between their wall being gimped or a stab specced draco meteor to the face is a good trait to have.

Right, but once your opponent sees you have Frisk, I doubt they're going to stay in and let you switcheroo their tank. That's the only real problem I see with this strategy.

Still if it forces switches, that's a good thing. Making your opponent guess between their wall being gimped or a stab specced draco meteor to the face is a good trait to have.
Just because Noivern has Frisk doesn't mean that you are running switcheroo. I am currently running taunt instead of switcheroo on my lead Noivern along with three attacks. Noivern has many different uses and should never be predictable.

Conversely, just because it's running Infiltrator doesn't mean it's not running Switcheroo. Switcheroo, U-turn, and two attacks with a scarf could do quite nicely on an Infiltrator set.

Has anyone checked whether Noibat can be bred Sing? A fast 55% crapshoot that hits through subs could be usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)