Bunnelby

Bunnelby

38 HP / 36 Atk / 38 Def / 32 SpA / 36 SpD / 57 Spe

Abilities: Pickup / Cheek Pouch / Huge Power (Hidden)
Notable Moves
Return
Frustration
Spikes
U-turn
Earthquake
Quick Attack
Bounce
Super Fang
Bulk Up
Brick Break
Thief
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Substitute
Wild Charge
Power-Up Punch

By far the cutest of all LC Pokemon, Bunnelby was introduced this gen to make a huge splash in the LC metagame, and I do mean huge. When XY was first released, Bunnelby appeared to be the Rattata of XY, with mediocre stats and abilities. However, as we kept learning more and more things about this game, more and more great qualities of Bunnelby began to surface. To begin with, it has a pretty spectacular movepool, with Normal, Ground, Rock, Fighting, Electric, and Flying coverage moves of decent to great power. Bunnelby also has access to other great moves, such as Bulk Up, Power-Up Punch, and U-turn. As with all of the other early-game rodents, Bunnelby also has priority in the form of Quick Attack. Even with all of these great moves on its side, Bunnelby still had very modest attacking stats, poor bulk, and only decent Speed. However, the worst of these factors, its low Attack, has since been remedied by Bunnelby's Hidden Ability, Huge Power, which was previously only available to two other LC-legal Pokemon, Meditite and Azurill, one of which found itself banned while the other is pretty bad because of its low Speed. With Huge Power, Bunnelby reaches an Attack stat of 26 with a Jolly nature, and it allows its decent Speed and fantastic movepool to be put to good use to transform one of the most harmless looking Pokemon in the tier into a major powerhouse.

Potential Sets

Bunnelby @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 228 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge / Thief

With max investment in Speed and a Jolly nature, Bunnelby hits a decent 16 Speed in LC. While this is ok, it doesn't really allow for Bunnelby to keep up against other very fast and frail offensive threats. Bunnelby is able to remedy this issue with a Choice Scarf to boost up to 24 Speed, which is enough to outspeed the entire unboosted tier. Return is used for obligatory STAB alongside Earthquake to patch up coverage against Rock- and Steel-types. U-turn is used in conjunction with Bunnelby's great Speed to scout the opponent's plays and rack up damage against Bunnelby's best checks without locking into another move. The last slot is mainly just filler. Stone Edge can be used for its fantastic neutral coverage alongside Earthquake and to hit Drifloon. However, Thief also hits Drifloon as well as Misdreavus, which otherwise handles this set fairly easily. Still, a super effective Thief doesn't hit much harder than a neutral Stone Edge against Misdreavus, but its superior accuracy is helpful. It also lets Bunnelby steal items from the foe should the opponent Knock Off its Choice Scarf.

Bunnelby @ Eviolite
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 228 Atk / 76 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Power-Up Punch
- Stone Edge / Quick Attack

With an Eviolite, Bunnelby reaches decent 20/15/16 bulk, allowing it to tank the occasional neutral hit from faster opponents and strike back with its fearsome Attack. The set is very similar to the Choice Scarf set, but the ability to attack without being locked into a move is fantastic, especially against less offensively-oriented teams. I'm not entirely sure if the above moves are ideal, but they seemed to be some of the better option. You can use more or less the same attacks as the Choice Scarf set, or you can go a different route with Power-Up Punch and Quick Attack to boost Bunnelby's Attack even further against weakened foes it can pick off and even finish off more offensive teams with priority. With fewer ways to handle opposing Ghost-types, Pursuit support is greatly appreciated alongside this set.

I was also considering some kind of Substitute set, perhaps with Bulk Up, but maybe not. These two are the ones I've played around with and tested the most, so they're the ones I felt most comfortable with. If anyone else has any other ideas of different sets that Bunnelby might be able to run, please post them! Otherwise, you can use this thread to discuss Bunnelby and its potential effects on the metagame. You can also talk about how adorable it is. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
By far the cutest of all LC Pokemon
noob, inkay>>>>>>>>>all

Bunnelby is able to remedy this issue with a Choice Scarf to boost up to 22 Speed, which is enough to outspeed the entire unboosted tier.
Jolly sneasel reaches 23

Meditite - Fighting/Psychic | Pure Power/Telepathy (H) | 30/40/55/40/55/60 | 280 BST | NFE | Low Kick/Grass Knot: 40 BP
Bunnelby - Normal | Pickup/Cheek Pouch/Huge Power (H) | 38/36/38/32/36/57 | 237 BST | Limbo | Low Kick/Grass Knot: 20 BP
ok so bunnelby and meditite's attack and speed are identical. Meditite has a better defensive and offensive typing, and better bulk, but Bunnelby has more powerful STABS (100 and 102 is really amazing for an LC mon)
I think Meditite will be preffered as a hard-hitter, but if/when that thing gets banned, Bunnelby might be a good alternative, one that might not be ban-worthy

However, the worst of these factors, its low Attack, has since been remedied by Bunnelby's Hidden Ability, Huge Power, which was previously only available to one other LC-legal Pokemon, Meditite.
Is Huge-power azurill not LC-legal?

Delver

I got the runs like Jagger
Bunnelby will shine after bannings, imo. Meditite is literally just as strong and just as fast with better bulk and typing. Meditite dominated the meta when it was around, and I dont think thats going to change much. Given bunnelby's only pro over tits is higher STABs I doubt it will see much use outside so long as tits is here. If tits were to get banned, as it has before, I think then we'll see bunnelby's true potential.

Essentially I agree with Chielee

although, hey, normal typing is immune to ghost attacks which are super good this gen, so thats something it has going for it.

Edit at bellow: Meditite (especially right now with gligar and the likes around) likes to run drain punch as its stab of choice and dedicate the other 3 slots to coverage/priority. Else wise you're totally right

Last edited:
ok so bunnelby and meditite's attack and speed are identical. Meditite has a better defensive and offensive typing, and better bulk, but Bunnelby has more powerful STABS (100 and 102 is really amazing for an LC mon)
I think Meditite will be preffered as a hard-hitter, but if/when that thing gets banned, Bunnelby might be a good alternative, one that might not be ban-worthy
What STABs? It's pure Normal, it's only got STAB Return which is a lot less powerful than HJK

This needs updating. More recent stat updates allow it 16 unboosted speed, which mean that with a scarf it is hitting 24 speed - outspeeding even Sneasel. And with 26 Attack (with a Jolly nature), it's rupturing all but the sturdiest walls in one or two hits, with only eviolite gligar and bronzor taking all of its attacks well (as far as I have seen, at least). I use the standard Return / EQ / Stone Edge / U-Turn set with a Scarf, and it's generally my MVP for any LC match I play. Certainly, it's the main reason for the majority of my successes thus far.

Maybe the Eviolite set with Agility, less Speed and more bulk would work? Something like Agility/Return/Earthquake/Power Up Punch or Stone Edge?

Thanks for noting that Heroes and Cons. My laptop broke last week, so I haven't been able to update the thread, but now that I'm basically back, I have even MORE exciting news to share with you all.

As if we needed another reason to love Bunnelby, just found out earlier today that Bunnelby gets SPIKES as an egg move. I figure Spikes/Return/EQ/U-turn is probably what it will want to run, with maybe Berry Juice or Eviolite and max Atk/Spe, but since it was JUST discovered, no one has had a chance to test it yet! So let's discuss what kind of Spikes set Bunnelby might want to run while we wait for it to be added to PS!

Also, Raseri is cute.

spikes make it even cuter imo :). Now it gets even more cool sets :o. berry juice / evio when berry juice disappears with 3 attacks + spikes will be cool cause it can force enough switches, its missy bait though which kinda sucks. but just uturn out of that and youll be fine.

scarf is still really cool. because berry juice is on everything, a lot of threats dont have the bulk to survive a return from bunnelby, if berry juice is ever to disappear in the future (not banned ofc because that talk isnt allowed) then I bet scarf bunny wont be as good, and the spiker will be more common.

Treecko is a registered user on Smogon.com

Is Huge-power azurill not LC-legal?
Legal: Yes
Good: I would like to say no but somebody went and made it a fairy so it may need some attention

Another big thing nobody mentioned is a bulky banded bunny. Run the same evs as eviolite set, make it adamant, and throw in u-turn and quick attack for some decent scouting or revenge kills. Never underestimate a STAB CB quick attack

Legal: Yes
Good: I would like to say no but somebody went and made it a fairy so it may need some attention

Another big thing nobody mentioned is a bulky banded bunny. Run the same evs as eviolite set, make it adamant, and throw in u-turn and quick attack for some decent scouting or revenge kills. Never underestimate a STAB CB quick attack
LO gives out about the same damage rolls for level 5 mons, so Life orb is really the only item it should run to increase damage.

Bunnelby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Level: 5
EVs: 228 Atk / 220 Spd / 60 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Return
- U-turn

As Heroes and Cons said, a Choice Scarf makes this little bunny quite a beast.
STAB Return with 13 Atk + Huge Power
Quick Attack is for the Priority users as chances are high they wont outspeed a scarfed bunnelby, and STAB Quick Attack with Huge Power packs a Huge punch haha.

EQ is for Coverage Against intimidate Growlithes and Ponyta that may switch it, and U-Turn for the obvious GFTO attack, but bug typing is very nice in the current meta and can easily take someone out on the turn.

228 Atk Huge Power (custom) Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sneasel: 24-28 (109.09 - 127.27%) -- guaranteed OHKO

bumping it up to 23 HP-

228 Atk Huge Power (custom) Return vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Sneasel: 24-28 (104.34 - 121.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27, 28)

And WITH eviolite

228 Atk Huge Power (custom) U-turn vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Sneasel: 16-20 (69.56 - 86.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
U-turn: 69.56 - 86.95%
Quick Attack: 30.43 - 39.13%

Due to weird LC mechanics, the boosts provided by CB and LO do not behave in a 1.5/1.3 fashion. The difference is much smaller, almost negligible. Choice Band/Specs should never be used in LC (unless you can take advantage of it via Trick)

noob, inkay>>>>>>>>>all
Hi-Jump Kick.

meditite does have hi jump kick, but it generally runs drain punch because of the healing and the fact that it is less risky. It doesn't want to run 2 fighting moves and lose coverage/priority either. But yeah, you're right when you say i forgot about hjk. and i also thought bunnelby was part ground. my post was full of shit

i should've said 'it has a drawback-free 102 base power move'. after experimenting, biggest thing bunnelby has over meditite is definitely u-turn

This guy is such a good late-game sweeper. Also having two immunities to ghost and electric makes Scarfed Bunnelby easy to switch into.
Bunnelby does not have an immunity to electric: its typing is pure Normal, not Normal/Ground like Diggersby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)