Triquetra

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Hi, I'm WhiteDMist! For anyone who doesn't know me, I'm a NU player, QC member, and former RMT Team Rater for the Neverused tier. I eventually got tired of rating teams (it took up a lot more time than I liked), real life was getting more demanding, and I wasn't quite as interested in laddering and teambuilding anymore. Now that Pokemon X/Y is out, generation 5 Neverused will soon die down. As I do not have the games myself (currently at least), I have not kept as up to date as I could on the new changes and Pokemon, so I am likely to not pay much attention to the general happenings on Smogon for quite a while. I guarantee that I will play gen 6 NU, and perhaps even start playing RU when it becomes official. Until then, consider this my last RMT for the time being, and definitely my last for generation 5.

I was simply bored and decided to build a team utilizing Pokemon that were generally unprepared for. The most threatening ones I came up with were Shell Smash Carracosta and Choice Specs Charizard. Immediately, I realized that Choice Scarf Jynx synergized well with these two Pokemon, and was a dangerous threat on its own. Thus I decided that these 3 Pokemon were my star trinity, all Pokemon that threatened the metagame. The rest of my team ended up being more defensive in nature, but I found that the support they provided was all I needed to tear through most teams. I rarely ladder, but I actually ended up battling more than I expected, under the alt Jabberwakky. The team peaked at #9, but I simply got bored of laddering (the ladder isn't that impressive) and I don't particularly care about ranking much anymore. The power of these 3 threats were so impressive, I decided that I would nickname them before I wrote this, just to signify how effective I felt they were (I almost never nickname my Pokemon, so this is a rare thing indeed). I named them after another powerful trio, from one of my favorite shows, Charmed. Naturally I made my team female (Golurk has no gender of course), so... GIRL POWER!?!?!! I am so annoyed that CBS is developing a "re-imagined" version of Charmed, ugh.:mad:

Now I already knew that I wanted to use Carracosta, as very few teams are prepared to deal with it reliably. Now as the main sweeper of my team, I needed to create a team that could help break through even bulky physical walls reliably.

I decided to use another popular Pokemon, Choice Specs Charizard. This was another Pokemon that very few teams were prepared for, and it had enough power to plow through most of the tier by itself. I figured that it would not only break most physical walls, but that Charizard would be able to sweep teams on its own if it had to.

Now I needed a teammate that could also deal with revenge killers, opposing Carracosta, and would work well with Charizard. Choice Scarf Jynx fit the bill perfectly for several reasons. The main reason was that I didn't want to be swept by opposing Carracosta and Choice Specs Charizard (ironic I guess). I also needed a reliable revenge killer, and Jynx was definitely a good one. I wanted a Pokemon that was very threatening, could sweep teams on its own, and who would appreciate the sheer wallbreaking power that Charizard and Carracosta had. Most teams rarely carry a counter for Jynx, though many carried checks.

Of course, this trio was very potent as it was. I decided that the rest of my team would be pivots and support Pokemon, as I was content with the amount of offensive synergy I had already. Garbodor instantly was my next choice, because Spike stacking was so effective alongside these three monsters.

I needed a Stealth Rock user, as my team was decided weak to opposing Choice Scarf Jynx (how ironic, again). Lum Berry Golem was my initial choice, as it could set up Rocks, threaten Scarf Jynx with Sucker Punch if it chose to attack, and handled Flying-types and many Substitute users on its own.

Finally, I needed a bulky pivot that I could simply switch in on attacks. The whole point of a pivot was to simply tank the attack, perhaps threaten the opponent a little, die, and give my powerhouses a free switch. Mandibuzz turned that on its head a bit, as it didn't die very easily at all. Foul Play was invaluable, especially in stopping Golurk leads (who leaves Golurk in n Mandibuzz?). But the fact that it stopped opposing Psychic and Ghost-types in their tracks was the most important thing to me (though breaking down walls was equally useful I admit). Sure, most Psychic/Ghosts carry a move specifically for Mandibuzz these days, but Mandibuzz still pivots in on them very well (it also makes a great switch in against Choice Scarf Jynx if it switches in on Carracosta).

After a lot of battling (and rising on the ladder), I decided to test out Golurk over Golem. Piloswine was a problem, and I didn't appreciate the fact that Wartortle had a somewhat easy time Rapid Spinning my hazards away. Sure, Scald really hurts Golurk, but all I need it to do is stop the spin and wear down Wartortle until one of them faints. I lost my counter to Flying-types, but I had Carracosta and Jynx if I really needed to check them. I decided that it was more important to have another check to Sawk and other Fighting-types, as Garbodor was having trouble handing them on its own. While Golem brought better better physical bulk to go with Garbodor and Mandibuzz, Golurk still kept the Electric resistance while not being quite as vulnerable to Grass and Water moves.

Piper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

I named Charizard Piper because of her molecular combustion power, and her firey nature in general. Perfect match indeed.

As every NU player knows, very little can safely switch into Choice Specs Charizard. Especially in Blaze range, Fire Blast is devastating, as is Flamethrower. Air Slash is my go to move against Dragon-types and the few Fire-types that can safely take a Fire Blast in the first place. HP Grass in my preferred my over Focus Blast as the power isn't needed as much, and hitting so many Water and Rock types hard is so useful, especially since that means I can break through Seismitoad. I play somewhat cautiously with Charizard, as its base 100 Speed is very helpful in dealing with many non-Scarf threats (it keeps opposing LO/Lefties Jynx from sweeping me especially). I am not overly worried about Stealth Rock on my side of the field, as I only need to bring Charizard out about 3 times per match at most. The fact that it breaks down walls so easily is great (albeit Fire Blast can miss at the worst possible time), and the hazard support I provide even lets me 2HKO Lickilicky with Fire Blast.

Possible Changes
Focus Blast over Hidden Power Grass
Sleep Talk over Hidden Power Grass

Phoebe @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Phoebe is Jynx, as she is the love bird of the Charmed sisters. Her powers are Psychic based, her heart turned Ice cold when she became a mermaid, and she was the goddess of love temporarily as well. Enough said.

Very few Pokemon in the NU tier can resist the threat that is Jynx. Lovely Kiss is especially notable for this, though I generally have moderate luck with it at best. Trick is pretty useful for crippling walls and just irritating slow Pokemon overall (it also helps if they lock themselves into a bad move, especially a Water move). I am pretty careful about when I Trick my Scarf away, as without it I rely solely on Carracosta to act as a revenge killer, which isn't ideal for me. If I see something like Carracosta waiting in the wings, I literally holding onto Jynx and its Scarf with my life (well my team's life anyways) so that I can Psychic it as soon as possible. Ice Beam rounds the set out and gives me another way to deal with Tangela. The fact is, there aren't many Pokemon that can counter Jynx, and the few there are really hate Charizard and Carracosta. This means that Jynx can easily clean up opposing teams late game, though I am careful with it otherwise. She is my best bet to handle most Water-types, so that is a bit of a problem.

Possible Changes
Focus Blast over Lovely Kiss

Paige @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Paige here is a Carracosta. She initially started off as the underdog, but great to make use of her amazing powers and heritage. She's able to teleport anywhere in the world, and Aqua Jet is nearly as fast.

Carracosta is a monster. So few teams prepare adequately for it, and most of the ones that do simply carry a Scarf Jynx of their own. I do my best to wear down Jynx, but I don't always stop it in time. Regardless, I am not afraid to give up my Shell Smash boost(s) if it will give me a significant advantage in momentum. Most Jynx have no choice but to Psychic immediately, which is where Mandibuzz can come in safely if I predicted that correctly. Stone Edge can be a double edged sword, but the sheer power of it makes it irreplaceable. In fact, all of the moves are irreplaceable (and very obvious). There are very few ways to deal with this trio of offensive juggernauts, so good switching is generally the most common defense against me (the cost of two Choiced Pokemon I guess).

Possible Changes
n/a

Prudence @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Prudence "Prue" is Mandibuzz here, mainly because she was the big sister and protector. The relationship with Prue's actress and Alyssa Milano was equally as Toxic and Mandibuzz can make walls. Then she (Prue) died. Done.

Mandibuzz was the last/second-to-last member of this team, meant to round it out defensively by handling Ground, Psychic, and Ghost types all at once. Foul Play was more than enough offensive presence, but the combination of Taunt and Toxic was crucial to deal with Alomomola and Tangela. Oddly enough, many Golurk users chose to stay in against Mandibuzz, resulting in their defeat early game (and preventing Rocks). Roost is obvious, and the Flying type removal came in handy a few times as well, though I usually relied on Life Orb/Toxic Stalling with Roost as very little can OHKO Mandibuzz but there were plenty that could 2HKO. The point of Mandibuzz is mostly to pivot though, so I don't mind sacrificing it strategically to provide a safe switch into Charizard, Carracosta, or Jynx.

Possible Changes
Whirlwind over Taunt
Specially Defensive over Physically Defensive

Penelope @ Expert Belt
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch

Grams. Ghost. Kick ass maneater. What more can I say?

Golurk was my latest member, and the only change so far. I wanted a more reliable Pokemon to handle Fighting-types, while still keeping my Electric-type immunity. Golurk provided Stealth Rock and offensive power, so that part stayed the same from back when Golem was on the team. The loss of priority makes weather teams a but harder to stop, and Golurk still had similar weaknesses, but being able to spinblock was invaluable. Golurk has the advantage against Torkoal and Armaldo, but Wartortle can beat it with a good Scald burn, or a predicted Scald on the switch. That being said, I don't mind sacrificing Golurk to keep my hazards up, as they are critical to letting my trio break through bulkier Pokemon.

Possible Changes
Lum Berry Golem
Leftovers over Expert Belt
Ice Punch over Drain Punch
Bulky EV spread

Patricia @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Pain Split

Yeah, I really can't justify naming Garbodor after the sister's mother. I guess because she is so supportive of them (enough to stand up to demons, her own mother, and her ex-husband) like Garbodor is so supportive of the team.

Garbodor may be the last member listed here, but it is one of the most important members of my team. I usually set up Spikes, but if I see no Poison-types on the opposing team, Toxic Spikes are my go-to option. The sheer amount of residual damage Garbodor inflicts is amazing, and Rocky Helmet and Aftermath just make it better. Rock Blast is my offensive move of choice to break frail Substitutes, and stop Ninjask and Butterfree specifically. Pain Split is the only form of recovery Garbodor has, but I also use it as its main form of offense as well. Rocky Helmet is important to deter Rapid Spin even more, though it is less useful with Golurk on the team now. However, being able to wear down contact attackers is amazing, and Garbodor's main job is simply that: whittling down the opposing team with residual damage. It is my main defense against Sawk and other Fighting-types, and Earthquake is a free switch for Mandibuzz and Charizard.

Possible Changes
Toxic over Pain Split
Black Sludge over Rocky Helmet
Specially Defensive Roselia

Thanks for reading my final 5th gen RMT! Thanks to the Neverused community for being what I feel is the best community on Smogon. :toast: If you want a shoutout, just tell me on irc or pm me or something.

Paige (Carracosta) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Piper (Charizard) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

Patricia (Garbodor) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 20 Spd / 248 HP / 240 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Pain Split

Phoebe (Jynx) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Penelope (Golurk) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 Spd / 72 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch

Prudence (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Last edited:
WhiteDMist this is a very strong team. From what I can tell, we are trying to stack spikes in order to pull a carracosta sweep, which is definitely interesting! I can't seem to find any true weaknesses, but if I had to point something out, the moment that Golurk is out of the way, ScarfTom may cause the team issues, being able to volt-switch in and out of the team. CB Sawk also appears to be annoying, having ways to cripple every one of your pokemon, meaning you will need to do a lot of predicting around it.

Again, looking at the team, there wasn't much I could change straight up. One thing is that you need some way to absorb sleep. Looking at the team, if a sleeper comes in, there isn't really any pokemon that wants to become sleep fodder. This is why I suggest running Sleep Talk over Hidden Power Grass on Charizard. While I do realize that this leaves you susceptible to the Rock and Water types of the tier, SpecsZard is strong enough to use it's primary STABs to hit them hard enough.

On golurk, I suggest you run Leftovers over Expert Belt. In this situation, there really isn't a point attempting to bluff that you are CB, as you do carry Stealth Rocks. Instead, I would focus more on your livability, as even without the 1.5x boost you can get off pretty heavy damage, but the leftovers does help you stay around for longer, if there is a pokemon which only Golurk can check effectively on the opponents team.

You could potentially run Specially Defensive Roselia over garb odor, giving you a dedicated special wall, which would be very nice. It would still be able to set up spikes, and has very good synergy with your physical wall, Mandibuzz. It also has far more offensive prescense than your current garbodor, and has access to reliable recovery in the forms of Rest and Synthesis. This also offers your team a crucial status absorber to maintain your other member's healths.

Outside of that, there isn't much I can truly change. Great team man! :)

Charizard @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis / Rest
- Sludge Bomb / Toxic Spikes

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah everyone has been suggesting Roselia, so I will definitely try it out. I have no intention of giving up Toxic Spikes, so I would most likely use Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Giga Drain / Rest|Sludge Bomb. As for Golurk, Soulgazer suggested a bulkier EV spread, and FLCL suggested Ice Punch over Drain Punch. I will consider all three suggestions, and try them out separately, and maybe all together. As for having a dedicated sleep fodder, the only Pokemon that i can think of that can threaten me with sleep is Jynx. Charizard isn't the best switch in as it is, so I would likely sacrifice Mandibuzz or Golurk to the sleep, and then go from there depending on the set. I will need some convincing to give up HP Grass, but I will look into testing Sleep Talk's utility. Anyways, thanks Brawlfest

I will need some convincing to give up HP Grass
The only thing that I can say is that pokemon that you would want to hit with HP Grass take enough damage in general from Specs Fire Blasts and Air Slashes, so it really is unnecessary. In terms of sleep talk, while it is hard for Zard to switch into jynx, it still is possible. And Zard checks the other two common sleepers of the tier, Roselia and Tangela, so well it isn't even funny. Idk, HP Grass probably will be better in the long run, but Sleep Talk is kind of nice as you would rather have 1 semi-functional pokemon rather than 1 completely out of duty. Just my 2 cents!

Here is one of the most retarded suggestions I've ever made. But Drilbur is pretty fun on this team. I was trying it on the ladder earlier, and it was surprisingly fun. Never once have I ever used a drilbur in NU, but it actually worked decently as a utility mon / rocks preventer with mold breaker + rapid spin. It was actually pretty good..which is surprising. if you wanted to know the set, I was running 252 Speed, 48 HP, and 208 Atk with Earthquake, Rock Slide, Rapid Spin, and Stealth Rock. To be honest, the only reason I was trying it was that you could spin those pesky rocks away. In general, Golurk is still better.

anyways good luck with this awesome team :33

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)