Pokémon Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only 2 sets worth a damn right now in OU are the Mixed Shadowball variant and the Bulky SD set. These reliably do their job everytime while the others are just gimmiks.
absolutely nothing wrong with gimmicks if they work, my stall set catches a lot of people by surprise and will KO a decent amount of pokes before it falls.

People are starting to inderstand not ro use direct contact physical moves vs Aegislash because of King's Shield. A problem with King's Shield is that it doesn't protect against non-attacking moves. There are times that I'll use King's Shield to protect myself from a physical attack only to gwt hit with a T-Wave or WoW. It could just be me, but Aegislash could be getting predictable. How about using Protect over King's Shield?
Also, running protect will make a lot of people feel safe about using a contact move, which leaves you a lot more vulnerable.

People are starting to inderstand not ro use direct contact physical moves vs Aegislash because of King's Shield. A problem with King's Shield is that it doesn't protect against non-attacking moves. There are times that I'll use King's Shield to protect myself from a physical attack only to gwt hit with a T-Wave or WoW. It could just be me, but Aegislash could be getting predictable. How about using Protect over King's Shield?
Well, since not THAT many mons carry T-Wave and WoW, it's even more predictable they'll use it, so it's better to straight switch out. Additionally, even if you would use protect, what then? You can't use it next turn, and otherwise, your situation is the same as before.

True. The fact that a standard set carries Kings Shield forces the opponent to play around it. What does the mixed set drop for Shadow Ball? Swords Dance? I feel like the standard bulky offensive set is the best way to go.

Honestly, I think the most effective Aegislash set does not use kings shield at all and goes all out attack (The mixed set). However, ironically, the biggest reason why it is more effective is because of the threat of kings shield from the other sets. People are more likely to switch out or try to set up if they fear king's shield. That allows the mixed set to nuke the opponent on switch in/during set up. So, I'm ever hopeful that the Swords Dance set and King's shield + 3 attacks is popular enough in the future to remain it a threat.

Stance Dance is only as predictable as the battler is skilled.

Consider this scenario:
Aegislash has a SD boost, is in sword form, and has over half of his health after finishing off a pokemon in a favorable matchup.
The opponent switches in Rotom-W to hopefully burn the Stance Dance Aegislash. Rotom-W uses Will-o-wisp, predicting Kings Shield.
Aegislash uses Shadow Sneak, predicting the burn. Aegislash is then burned after dealing heavy damage to Rotom-W.
Aegislash uses Shadow Sneak to finish off Rotom-W.
Aegislash keeps using Shadow Sneak until he dies unless the team needs spin-blocking support.

If the Stance Dance Aegislash user is good at prediction and is knowledgable about the current meta, then he shouldn't be entirely predictable.

I feel like Aegislash is one of those awesome, fun to use pokemon like Zoroark that rewards the user for their skill, but in the wrong hands is predictable and easily thwarted. Difference is, unlike Zoro, Aegislash can be stuck on almost any team and can succeed.

Nitpicking: The Rotom-W user should know better that Aegislash is not going to King's Shield a Rotom-W. Rotom is a special attacker and using King's Shield against it is totally abitrary in Singles. The right call against an Aegislash at half of its health would have been Volt Switch on the Specs set or Hydro Pump on the bulky set.
Also, Aegislash cannot 2HKO a bulky Rotom-W anymore when it gets burned.

I haven't seen anyone's opinions on Weakness Policy (well I have seen positive reviews, but what about positive feedback? Well, if you know what I mean >.<)

Anyway, I'm having trouble with rationalizing the item. On paper, it seems amazing. It turns the Mixed cleaner into a Mixed Sweeper; those 2HKO's on the switch become OHKO's with rock support. However, there's a rule I've always abided by from my experiences in competitive play (mostly ygo, but I think it applies here): strategies that rely on the opponent to succeed aren't the best strategies.

For example: Weakness Policy is amazing on Dragonite at full health. Multiscale guarantees it won't be OHKO'ed 80% of the time, thus granting it a free Dragon Dance. No matter what happens the opponent has to break the Multiscale and OHKO later without triggering WP. (Well Ice Shard and SR makes this point invalid, but counters have a funny way of not appearing when people need them most).

Aegislash doesn't have a DD, but has to choose between Autotomize and Swords Dance. SD is made redundant as Auto is the only way Aegis hopes to sweep; Since your opponent has to trigger the WP, more than likely it won't. (Most people do generally use EQ against Aegislash, but there's no guarantee that it;s going to survive). But when it does get pulled off, the raw power of a Shell-Smashed Aegislash is nothing to laugh at.
HOWEVER:
  • You lose out on the utility of LO: if you switch out your gimmick is dead (though if your sweeping the team should be able to clean up effectively after)
  • Did i mention your opponent can play around this? (Sorry, I have a huge thing against relying on your opponent)
  • If your that worried about increasing Aegislash's longevity you might as well use Spooky Plate
I'm just having trouble between using LO or Weakness Policy on the mixed set. I can see both sides of the spectrum and all...and I love the Autotomize as it simply destroys unprepared teams; perhaps I'm thinking this a bit too differently (or too much like I do in YGO).

Nitpicking: The Rotom-W user should know better that Aegislash is not going to King's Shield a Rotom-W. Rotom is a special attacker and using King's Shield against it is totally abitrary in Singles. The right call against an Aegislash at half of its health would have been Volt Switch on the Specs set or Hydro Pump on the bulky set.
Also, Aegislash cannot 2HKO a bulky Rotom-W anymore when it gets burned.
Noted, but I said still stands.
Stance Dance is a set that is basically built on prediction, and if you are good at prediction, you should know to predict their prediction, weigh risk and reward, then act.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Stance Dance is only as predictable as the battler is skilled.

Consider this scenario:
Aegislash has a SD boost, is in sword form, and has over half of his health after finishing off a pokemon in a favorable matchup.
The opponent switches in Rotom-W to hopefully burn the Stance Dance Aegislash. Rotom-W uses Will-o-wisp, predicting Kings Shield.
Aegislash uses Shadow Sneak, predicting the burn. Aegislash is then burned after dealing heavy damage to Rotom-W.
Aegislash uses Shadow Sneak to finish off Rotom-W.
Aegislash keeps using Shadow Sneak until he dies unless the team needs spin-blocking support.

If the Stance Dance Aegislash user is good at prediction and is knowledgable about the current meta, then he shouldn't be entirely predictable.

I feel like Aegislash is one of those awesome, fun to use pokemon like Zoroark that rewards the user for their skill, but in the wrong hands is predictable and easily thwarted. Difference is, unlike Zoro, Aegislash can be stuck on almost any team and can succeed.
That scenario is pretty bad, just saying. Considering how rotom-w gets the burn in any situation regardless of what aegislash does (bypasses KS remember?) bar sub (lol) also if you're playing someone that uses KS everytime their aegislash enters sword mode then they're using it incorrectly.

Though I do find it lulzy how often people expect me to go for the KS/switch when I'm using a +2 atk aegis and just attempt to set up on it.

I haven't seen anyone's opinions on Weakness Policy (well I have seen positive reviews, but what about positive feedback? Well, if you know what I mean >.<)

Anyway, I'm having trouble with rationalizing the item. On paper, it seems amazing. It turns the Mixed cleaner into a Mixed Sweeper; those 2HKO's on the switch become OHKO's with rock support. However, there's a rule I've always abided by from my experiences in competitive play (mostly ygo, but I think it applies here): strategies that rely on the opponent to succeed aren't the best strategies.

For example: Weakness Policy is amazing on Dragonite at full health. Multiscale guarantees it won't be OHKO'ed 80% of the time, thus granting it a free Dragon Dance. No matter what happens the opponent has to break the Multiscale and OHKO later without triggering WP. (Well Ice Shard and SR makes this point invalid, but counters have a funny way of not appearing when people need them most).

Aegislash doesn't have a DD, but has to choose between Autotomize and Swords Dance. SD is made redundant as Auto is the only way Aegis hopes to sweep; Since your opponent has to trigger the WP, more than likely it won't. (Most people do generally use EQ against Aegislash, but there's no guarantee that it;s going to survive). But when it does get pulled off, the raw power of a Shell-Smashed Aegislash is nothing to laugh at.
HOWEVER:
  • You lose out on the utility of LO: if you switch out your gimmick is dead (though if your sweeping the team should be able to clean up effectively after)
  • Did i mention your opponent can play around this? (Sorry, I have a huge thing against relying on your opponent)
  • If your that worried about increasing Aegislash's longevity you might as well use Spooky Plate
I'm just having trouble between using LO or Weakness Policy on the mixed set. I can see both sides of the spectrum and all...and I love the Autotomize as it simply destroys unprepared teams; perhaps I'm thinking this a bit too differently (or too much like I do in YGO).
I use a Double Dance set with Weakness Policy and it just wrecks. People are often unprepared this kind of set since King's Shield is what's most expected. However, Weakness Policy is great on Aegislash because it easily survives un-stabbed coverage moves that hit it super effectively, and will leave you with +2 attack & (possibly) +2 speed in one turn.

I'm personally a big fan of these types of sets (Double Dance Landorus-T last gen was my favorite sweeper ever) since they offer utility and versatility dependent on what you're facing. For cleaning up late-game... use Autotomize, possibly get Weakness Policy activated, and sweep the remainder of their team. For wall or stall-breaking... use Swords Dance, possibly get to +4 with Weakness Policy, and punch some holes.

To flat out sweep, it's not uncommon (or difficult) to find time for setting up +2 attack AND speed, since after seeing you have Autotomize, it's very likely their initial switch-in was in anticipation for a different move and is thus ill-equipped to face Aegislash at +2 Speed.

Alas, I wouldn't use Life Orb since it kind of detracts from its fantastic typing's staying power. :P

Could i ask whether it's possible to provide some examples of ideal IV spreads behind the aegislash?

right now there's plenty of people clamouring for 0 speed IV so as to not outspeed an opponent aegislash but it seems most of the recommended sets are most suited towards 31 speed iv investment. Bar the obvious sets that have ev investment in speed which warrants 31 speed iv,

Am i right in saying:

Brave Fencer Aegislash
Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword/Iron Head
King's Shield
Swords Dance

ideal iv spread would be 31/31/31/x/31/0

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA <br />
Quiet / Adamant Nature<br />
- King's Shield<br />
- Shadow Ball / Iron Head<br />
- Shadow Sneak<br />
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword</p>

ideal iv spread would be 31/x/31/31/31/0?

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

ideal iv spread would be 31/31/31/31/x/31 (cant decide which stat is worth dropping here...)

Aegislash @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield / Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head

i have no idea what the ideal iv spread here is. i'm guessing 31/31/31/x/31/31? but you'd be faster than an opponent aegislash with king's shield with 31 iv so i dont really understand the 4iv speed investment

i dont really understand the reasoning behind the iv spreads so it would help if somebody could clarify my queries, thanks :)

Last edited:
I use a Double Dance set with Weakness Policy and it just wrecks. People are often unprepared this kind of set since King's Shield is what's most expected. However, Weakness Policy is great on Aegislash because it easily survives un-stabbed coverage moves that hit it super effectively, and will leave you with +2 attack & (possibly) +2 speed in one turn.

I'm personally a big fan of these types of sets (Double Dance Landorus-T last gen was my favorite sweeper ever) since they offer utility and versatility dependent on what you're facing. For cleaning up late-game... use Autotomize, possibly get Weakness Policy activated, and sweep the remainder of their team. For wall or stall-breaking... use Swords Dance, possibly get to +4 with Weakness Policy, and punch some holes.

To flat out sweep, it's not uncommon (or difficult) to find time for setting up +2 attack AND speed, since after seeing you have Autotomize, it's very likely their initial switch-in was in anticipation for a different move and is thus ill-equipped to face Aegislash at +2 Speed.

Alas, I wouldn't use Life Orb since it kind of detracts from its fantastic typing's staying power. :P
I'd rather use LO on a Doublade than the powerful offense-forward option of this kind of Aegislash. You can say "Meh" to King's Shield and do exactly this- Auto up and take a hit on your Shield Form, then go all out offense thereafter. With a mixed attack set, say Sneak/Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword, you can make something happen.

I hate when people say that aegislash is not good because he is "easy to predict" no pokemon that has a protect and a swords dance are inherintly easy to predict just that the person you play against is easy to predict. One thing to note is when two aegislash's face against each other there are so many mind game to play, if he goes for the swords dance then I should go for the shadow sneak, however if he goes for the kings shield then I should go for the swords dance however if he goes for the shadow sneak then I should go for the kings sheild. So many possiblities.

I've played around with a lot of variations and I find this one is working best for me:

Aegislash @ Lefties
Nature: +Att, -Spe
EVs: 252 Att, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance
-Sacred Sword

I view King's Shield mindgames a lot like professional poker: smart tactics only work against smart opponents. If they don't know the significance of a check raise, then using one is a waste of time. Forget poker and just start playing a simple game like Go Fish instead: do you have any physical walls? Yes? Shadow Ball clips them on the switch. No? Take the free SD and then run wild with Shadow Sneak. Sacred Sword is just for the random Normal types that think they're gonna be cute and get a free switch off a Ghost attack.

Dunno if it's been posted, not reading through 19 pages. Anyway, I've been having great success with a Specs set so far and wanted to share.

252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Atk
Nature: +SpAtk -SpDef
Choice Specs
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Flash Cannon
Filler - Currently shadow sneak

With everybody expecting SD or mixed, this thing just comes in and hits like an absolute freight train. Yes, a mixed specs set sounds ridiculous, but hear me out. 438 SpAtk with full investment, jumping up to 657 with specs. Almost nothing is taking a shadow ball from that, and most things that can are dealt with using sacred sword. 0 Atk investment still puts you at 307 atk, nothing to scoff at. Spam shadow ball, and just when they feel comfortable switching in blissey, you smack it for about 45% with sacred sword. I have no idea what the 4th move should be, I've only seen the need for the first 3 so far.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Anybody not using 252 HP EVs and leftovers is compromising Aegislash's exceptional natural bulk. It's the quintessential offensive-bulky pivot.

>No Air balloon or any mention of it.
You guys must not know how viable it is with aegislash, being on the most powerful and accurate threat in earthquake, especially if you're not using a flying/levitate in your team. I've seen many, so many Excadrills locked in earthquake thus far expecting you not to send out/switch in to Aegislash and set up a sword dance. These users usually ONLY cover Aegislash with EQ, another set up turn for Aegislash. In conjunction with Sticky webs he can usually take down these later switch in with sacred sword or something.

Try the following strategy:
When in defense mode and shield is usable, flip a coin. If heads, King's shield; if tails, 2nd turn attack.
When in defense mode without shield usable, you are forced to 2nd turn attack or switch out.
When in sword mode and enemy low HP, shadow sneak.
When in sword mode and enemy high HP, roll a die. If 1-4, King's shield; if 5-6, 2nd turn attack.

Using a mixed strategy, you can actually use Aegislash's Stance Change and strong damaging power effectively, but you are less predictable. If the other guy knows when you King's Shield, he won't bother attacking, unless he is a special attacker without any set up moves. Using a mixed strategy might sound like a gimmicky solution, but it's actually a very serious tool to avoid predictability, and works really well all over pokemon battling.
Busting out that Game Theory for Pokemon I like it, although you should really change the strategy in accordance to if you have been able to discern if your opponent is risk adverse or risk neutral.

Dunno if it's been posted, not reading through 19 pages. Anyway, I've been having great success with a Specs set so far and wanted to share.

252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Atk
Nature: +SpAtk -SpDef
Choice Specs
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Flash Cannon
Filler - Currently shadow sneak

With everybody expecting SD or mixed, this thing just comes in and hits like an absolute freight train. Yes, a mixed specs set sounds ridiculous, but hear me out. 438 SpAtk with full investment, jumping up to 657 with specs. Almost nothing is taking a shadow ball from that, and most things that can are dealt with using sacred sword. 0 Atk investment still puts you at 307 atk, nothing to scoff at. Spam shadow ball, and just when they feel comfortable switching in blissey, you smack it for about 45% with sacred sword. I have no idea what the 4th move should be, I've only seen the need for the first 3 so far.
This set looks like a bulky, hit-and-run wallbreaker, so I'd consider running Life Orb over Choice Specs for that extra oomph on the physical side. Something like...

Aegislash @ Life Orb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet (SpA+, Spe-)
-Flash Cannon
-Shadow Ball
-Sacred Sword
-King's Shield/Shadow Sneak

The choice between King's Shield and Shadow Sneak depends on which mind games you want to play without your opponent, and whether you favour offensive or predictive play.

Not only does this set reliably OHKO most Tyranitar, it also has the firepower and versatility to punch huge holes in SkarmBliss; a Sassy nature means Blissey outspeeds Aegislash, letting it tank a hit in Shield Forme (e.g. Flamethrower, which 4HKOes) before smacking back with Sacred Sword;

252+ SpA Life Orb (custom) Shadow Ball vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 265-313 (81.03 - 95.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb (custom) Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 473-559 (72.54 - 85.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set can function as a bulky offensive pivot, a wallbreaker, or a physical sweep-stop or revenge-killer, depending on the match. It can even stop Talonflame; Talonflame nearly always go for a boost against Aegislash, predicting King's Shield or Swords Dance, and even if it goes for the Flare Blitz, it can't OHKO Shield Forme Aegislash without a Life Orb boost.

252+ SpA Life Orb (custom) Shadow Ball vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 282-333 (88.4 - 104.38%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk (custom) Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 222-264 (68.51 - 81.48%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
So I've been wondering lately how Aegislash would perform as a Choice Bander... In theory it sounds dumb, but doesn't Stance Change default Aegislash to defense stance when it's switched back in? If so, then guerrilla tactics with a CB might not be a terrible idea, and it means no playing around with King's Shield mindgames or Swords Dance prediction and such.

Would this not work then?

Aegislash @ Lefties
Nature: +Att, -Spe (Brave)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword

Would this not work then?

Aegislash @ Lefties
Nature: +Att, -Spe (Brave)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
If you're not running King's Shield, you don't want Brave-- anything faster than you is going to wreck you. I think you want King's Shield over SD or something for protection/insurance.

If you're not running King's Shield, you don't want Brave-- anything faster than you is going to wreck you. I think you want King's Shield over SD or something for protection/insurance.
Well, then. I am wanting to try out the mix sweeper, so I guess Quiet and follow the OP's suggestion moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)