Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Only problem with that is that it doesn't get Leech Seed by any means and Knock Off is illegal with Sticky Web since it's a Leavanny-only B2W2 tutor. Magic Coat will probably be standard, thinking about it, it really gives it a niche over Galvantula. I think Toxic might work, as depending on the team you come up against, it may not be the best of ideas to set up Sticky Web (Trick Room, heavy on Fliers, etc), and you may want another option to go to... maybe something like:

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Leaf Blade/X-Scissor

Magic Coat and Overcoat give Leavanny an edge on Galvantula, particularly the former. Another option would be to max out Speed instead of Attack and go for a more dedicated Baton Passer with Baton Pass over Toxic and one of Substitute, Swords Dance or Agility over an offensive move... it's certainly more versatile, but will it actually be better than the electric spider?

Although Sticky Web is definitely an excellent move, it's a shame the same cannot be said for many of the players that utilize this move on the ladder. Such as the ones that lead with Galvantula/Smeargle and use it turn 1 against my team of Bronzong/Slowbro/Reuniclus/Conkeldurr/Ursaring/Mawile. (There is a slight chance that it is a Trick Room team.)

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Although Sticky Web is definitely an excellent move, it's a shame the same cannot be said for many of the players that utilize this move on the ladder. Such as the ones that lead with Galvantula/Smeargle and use it turn 1 against my team of Bronzong/Slowbro/Reuniclus/Conkeldurr/Ursaring/Mawile. (There is a slight chance that it is a Trick Room team.)
Ladder + skilled. Pick one.

I have been running Galvantula on my PS team with rather minimal repercussions, even as a lead.

The trick to it really is identifying any obvious Rapid Spinner or Defog user on the opponents side of the team, get rid of them first and then when there is a given chance set up Sticky Web. And if they don't have one and not many Flying or Levitate Pokemon I use it as a suicide lead and it is sure as hell worth it 90% of the time.

Even as a lead Pokemon though I think that some may underestimate a bit what a Thunder or SE Bug Buzz on this thing can do. Often if I see either a Physical Wall who doesn't resist electric or something which is obviously is wanting to throw out some entry hazards or status moves I just hit it and it seems to catch a lot of people off-guard. And although it may not always OHKO (and often doesn't) it can set me up for a 2HKO in which most cases the opponent switches out giving me a free chance to set up Sticky Web.

Although I personally view this as my favourite Sticky Web user and shall be using it often, it's always very much appreciated for all Sticky Web users to have an alternative lead (other than perhaps Shuckle) to keep your opponent on their toes. I use Forretress as a Stealth Rock lead if Sticky Web isn't the best choice or if there is an obvious counter to Gal.

But definitely not a move to underestimate. If you know what you are doing, then this can turn the offensive slow Pokemon into much faster Pokemon. A very team specific move I think, because if your team really doesn't need it then it is a useless waste of a Pokemon slot.

And I wouldn't call it a late game move either. You can use it from turn 1 and it can still be devastating if you can use it well.

As a player who generally prefer stalling, I personally find this skill less an issue as move priority is generally not my major concern. On the other hand, as it has nth to do with non-grounded targets, the massively prevalent flying scouts should not find it a problem.

Overall, sweepers are likely to be the one both benefited and hurt from it most, yet this is based on the assumption that the skill will have a comparable distribution with SR, which is unlikely. It will be very interesting if sticky web control becomes an important topic for HO teams though. Hopefully GF will make it a tutor in Z so that more pokemon can take its advantage. Luckily, galvantula itself is not the most pitiful pokemon in the world.

Last edited:
I have to wonder, is a timid or modest Gavantula better for this tactic? On one hand, modest gives it extra hitting power, all the better for abusing compound eyes thunder. At the same time, the loss in speed you get for NOT running a timid nature could prove detrimental when you actually need to outrun something. How do the common leads stack up against galvantula speed-wise? If Galvantula outspeeds most of them unboosted, then there may be no real point to going with timid when you can choose modest instead. I don't think anybody's looked at that yet in this thread.

I was very excited when I discovered ariados' new toy. I've been playing around with the toxic spikes lead set I from last gen with sticky web/poison jab/insomnia/black sludge over protect/x-scissor/swarm/focus sash. I haven't decided whether I prefer max attack or max defense investment. It's pitifully weak without attack investment, but in exchange for noticeable bulk. My favorite moment so far is when I lived an outrage from megachomp, got the poison with poison jab, and followed up with a sucker punch. From there it was an easy clean-up. I've noticed I usually have to choose whether I want the web or the t-spikes though, so I might consider reverting to the t-spikes set with a simple switch of the hazard of choice. As far as pokemon that benefit from this the one that lept out in my mind is Typhlosion. The power of modest eruption is so delicious, but without timid or a scarf (and I don't like scarfing him) the speed just isn't enough. He actually cleans up pretty well in the little bit of pokebank OU I've messed around with so far.

I really want to try Ariados... I know it's kinda outclassed by Galvantula and Smeargle, but it gets Megahorn! And Sucker Punch! The problem is I have no idea what sort of EV spread would be good on him. Speed is not really an issue, because of Sucker Punch, so it's HP and then either Attack or Defense. He's there to deal damage and whatnot while sticking around to set up Sticky Web when needed, so here's what I'm hoping to run:

Ariados @ Black Sludge
Insomnia
Impish nature
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
-Sticky web
-Megahorn
-Sucker Punch
-Poison Jab/Toxic Spikes

EV spread is for maximum surviablilty, with a bit of power (though not by much). Insomnia is to dodge the likes of Spore/Sleep Powder/Hypnosis from enemy leads/hazard setters. Sticky Web is obvious, Megahorn is for the increased power, Sucker Punch is to clean up or dent Ghosts, and the last move is a tossup. Poison Jab is for Fairies and a chance to poison enemies, and Toxic Spikes is if your team would appreciate Poison support. However, because Ariados is pretty frail, it might not be a good idea to run two hazards. I plan on trying this out ingame later on (since PS is broken atm), but I'd like to hear some opinions, if any, about the viability of running Ariados.

Unless something from the unobtainable Pokemon that is good gets this I really can't see it taking off. It's a great move, the problem is how do you lay it without going 5 vs 6. I really think the days of focus sash leads that faint in 2 hits is over. It's just not worth it, I feel like many people are starting 5 vs 6 with this only to have a rapid spin or defog use appear before it has any real affect on the opponent.

Unless something from the unobtainable Pokemon that is good gets this I really can't see it taking off. It's a great move, the problem is how do you lay it without going 5 vs 6. I really think the days of focus sash leads that faint in 2 hits is over. It's just not worth it, I feel like many people are starting 5 vs 6 with this only to have a rapid spin or defog use appear before it has any real affect on the opponent.
The only unreleased Bug-types are Kricketune and Genesect, and Kricketune isn't any better than the bugs that already get it. It's pretty safe to say the ones we've got are all we're gonna see for now.

It can be effective, especially if you're using something like Galvantula or Smeargle with its own uses. It's just made for a more specific set of teams, and they have to use it well if they spot a spinner.

^ Only problem with that is that it doesn't get Leech Seed by any means and Knock Off is illegal with Sticky Web since it's a Leavanny-only B2W2 tutor. Magic Coat will probably be standard, thinking about it, it really gives it a niche over Galvantula. I think Toxic might work, as depending on the team you come up against, it may not be the best of ideas to set up Sticky Web (Trick Room, heavy on Fliers, etc), and you may want another option to go to... maybe something like:

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Leaf Blade/X-Scissor

Magic Coat and Overcoat give Leavanny an edge on Galvantula, particularly the former. Another option would be to max out Speed instead of Attack and go for a more dedicated Baton Passer with Baton Pass over Toxic and one of Substitute, Swords Dance or Agility over an offensive move... it's certainly more versatile, but will it actually be better than the electric spider?
I like this set, but why running 252 Atk? Isn´t 252 speed and jolly better to set up Sticky web?

Thanks to the Focus Sash, Sticky Web is guaranteed anyway unless you're up against a Mamoswine lead. Toxic would be for slower walls and Sticky Web's going to be the first thing you do outside of hazard-blocking with Magic Coat; might as well let your attack of choice pack an actual punch if you get the chance to use it. As I pointed out earlier, base 92 speed is pretty good, but it's not spectacular and if your opponent's gone with an offensive lead such as Genesect you're likely to be outsped anyway, no matter what you've got invested in speed... but I did suggest max Speed as another option, if you read on.

I've been using a sticky web team with Focus Sash Galvantula as my setter, and it really works quite well. People often forget that Galvantula can pack quite a punch - particularly now it is one of the few pokemon that can reliably use Thunder now that perma-rain is gone. And it's all well and good having defoggers now, but if they don't have prankster, they'll struggle to use it before the powerhouses like Mega-Heracross that can utilize it utterly destroy them.

I've been using a sticky web team with Focus Sash Galvantula as my setter, and it really works quite well. People often forget that Galvantula can pack quite a punch - particularly now it is one of the few pokemon that can reliably use Thunder now that perma-rain is gone. And it's all well and good having defoggers now, but if they don't have prankster, they'll struggle to use it before the powerhouses like Mega-Heracross that can utilize it utterly destroy them.
Sticky Web doesn't apply to everything though, which is a large part of the problem. Many of the fastest threats pack Levitate, like the Lati@s and Gengar. Then when you consider Skarmory and Crobat getting Defog, they're going to have no problem clearing the field of hazards.

It's not that Sticky Web is bad, it's just that it's more of a niche, like Baton Pass. When considering your example, I actually prefer using Scolipede to pass to Heracross rather than using Sticky Web support.

Undeniably the most broken entry hazard that has been released. It messes with speed tiers and forcibly requires you to run a Flying type with Defog.

Maybe I would've agreed with you if Smeargle didn't exist.
55/35/45 Defenses means the distribution is poor with Smeargle.
75 Speed means it's not guaranteed to go first.

There are plenty of ways to take out a Smeargle without it laying down a Sticky Web. Focus Sash means it might require some creativity.

55/35/45 Defenses means the distribution is poor with Smeargle.
75 Speed means it's not guaranteed to go first.

There are plenty of ways to take out a Smeargle without it laying down a Sticky Web. Focus Sash means it might require some creativity.
So counters mean its totally okay? In that case, lets bring every Uber to OU. They all have counters right? Lets all forcibly run those counters because if we don't were going to lose. Sticky Web will have talks of a possible ban. Messing with speed tiers is just stupid. Its the reason why Excadrill was banned.

So, playing with an Imposter + Scarf Ditto I noticed that I always go first, even with sticky web applied by an opponent.
Are you guys sure that it really is -1 level of speed and not a fixed value?

So counters mean its totally okay? In that case, lets bring every Uber to OU. They all have counters right? Lets all forcibly run those counters because if we don't were going to lose. Sticky Web will have talks of a possible ban. Messing with speed tiers is just stupid. Its the reason why Excadrill was banned.
No it means that if you want to use sticky web, you play the game down 6-5 most of the time.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
So, playing with an Imposter + Scarf Ditto I noticed that I always go first, even with sticky web applied by an opponent.
Are you guys sure that it really is -1 level of speed and not a fixed value?
We're certain it's -1. The reason it doesn't apply to Ditto is that it copies the Speed stat of the opponent that it switches in on as soon as it transforms, which is AFTER Sticky Web activates, meaning Ditto's Speed isn't dropped permanently unless the enemy is behind a Sub/is a Ditto. Since you have the Scarf equipped, you then outspeed or tie with basically anything.

I view sticky web as more of a play style than a staple entry hazard like stealth rock. Stealth rock's good distribution means it can fit into just about every team. Sticky web you pretty much have to build your team around for it very much like trick room. We'll see how effective it really is in ou over time. However, I'm inclined to believe it will become one of those great moves that become relics in larger tiers because of its distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)