The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Spend hours and hours trying to remove a masterball from a little stupid pokémon (i can't remember which) because i though master balls were reusable.
Since then i never used master balls anymore, i must have 15-20 of them (by passing them to another cartridge and resetting the other game)

My friends are rather stupid also, and i tricked a guy i met on a trip into trading a shiny for a attack-perfect EV and good nature i-dont-remember-which scizor (lol, i have lots of them) infected with the pokérus saying it was a really good investment and he may not have the chance to get pokérus again. Welp, i found at least four when doing the magnemite coil in B/W. Never saw that guy anymore.

Also some of my other friends would have missed some shinies and killed them if i wasn't around when they were playing.

Mediocrity said:
Then, come Sapphire, I'd developed this really weird rule about not having two Pokemon of the same type on my team, ever, under any circumstances. Also at that young age, as soon as I caught a legendary, it went on my team. The problem was, I'd picked Mudkip as my starter. I wasn't about to give up my buddy Swampert, but I absolutely had to have Kyogre on the team. So, after a solid week of playing and building a team, I restarted my game and picked Treecko, just to avoid the situation all over again. My buddies really let me know the failure of that logic.
Lol I used to do the exact same thing, I had an extremely tough decision between Dialga and Empoleon in Diamond. This happened because my friend's older brother (remember, I was like 4 or 5) said you needed varied types.

How about breeding a bunch of mons to have perfect/near perfect IVs, EVing them to max, using them in the Battle Maison/Wifi battles, and then realizing that they aren't as good as I thought they were and I've wasted a few days? Notable mons are Modest wall Slurpuff, Modest Mega Blastoise, Heal Bell/Recover Chimecho, Magician Delphox, Non-Mega Manectric, Dragon Dance Whiscash, etc. To be fair they're still good if I want to do other things with them other than try them out in an OU-geared metagame, but still...

When I was 6 or 7 I had a weird compulsion to catch every Pokemon I saw which lead to me use a master all on a wild level 5 caterpie because I hadn't caught one yet ...

My first time playing pokemon silver (and my first time playing a pokemon game) I was so excited when I discovered Tohjo falls (basically found as soon as I got surf) that I though every pokemon that appeared when you tried to surf up the waterfall would be super rare. I found a Seaking and because I thought it was like a frikking god cause I found it in Tohjo falls ( I was 4 years old) I tried to catch, but failed, several times I think it was the first time in my life I ragequitted. I ran away, with all the soul and passion I had destroyed by this uncatchable seaking. I kept playing the game as normal, until I got the master ball, after hearing it's effects I ran straight to Tohjo falls and finally caught that infernal seaking. I remember that my brother taught me that all pokemon can breed with ditto so I placed my seaking into the daycare with ditto so they could make baby seakings... only to hatch an egg and discover that seaking was just the evolution of goldeen. I didn't play the game again for 2 months.

Pokemon Emerald:

My friend was walking in the grass

A wild Latias appeared!

Me: "Dude, you've got your emulator cheats on again havent you?"

Friend runs from the battle and checks

OH SHIT!

Years ago, I wasted my Masterball(and only Pokeball) on a Sharpedo during my time fishing in Mossdeep city in Emerald, just to encounter a shiny Wailmer immediately after.

A similar thing happened in W2 earlier this year, I had just used my last set of Pokeballs catching Luvdisc for Heart Scales, when on my surf back to shore, the shiny Wailmer returns.

I began hunting their kind from then on.

Recently, in Pokemon X I was lucky enough to hit the 0.000000003 chance of finding a shiny with good IV's. It was a Scyther with 30/28/21/16/29/4. It had Technician, while unfortunately it was Calm...

Later, when I was releasing Scyther spitbacks from a breeding project, I accidentally released the shiny Scyther! (X.X)

I've done quite a few things that I'm ashamed of in Pokémon...

Yellow: Taking Pikachu as my only Pokémon to Brock's gym because electricity worked on his Pokémon in the anime...

Crystal: The first Pokémon game I actually owned, I thought you could have multiple save files, so since I started with the guy character I wanted to see what the girl character was like. So I started a new game and erased my old file unknowingly in the process. I was also stuck in the Ice Path for ~2 years (I gave up after a week and turned my attention to other games...)

Emerald: Forgetting Kingdra was a Dragon type and using my Sceptile's Leaf Blade to get a quick KO, only to do about half-health damage and get Ice Beam'd in the face.

FireRed: Raising an Eevee the whole game to eventually evolve it to Espeon after I obtained the National Dex. It was level 58 before I learned that there's no time system in FR/LG.

Pearl: Accidentally using a Master Ball (traded over from another game that I had played through for the Master Ball) on a Smeargle. And using my Stealth Rock TM on a Geodude (I didn't know how important of a move it was competitively). And meeting my first shiny, a Bidoof (Shiny HM slave!), and trading it for a Haunter on GTS... That was holding an everstone.

White: Setting up a Sandstorm while against an Excadrill who then proceeded to sweep my team.

White 2: Using a normal move on Chandelure -_-

Reactions: JES
In my Pokemon LeafGreen version, I started playing the game after 2 years or so & when I walk into tall grass, The first thing I find is a Suicune & I have never ran into it on that game cartridge ever so I thought it was normally there & ran away. 2 weeks later I find out its a roaming & have to search for it again.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I first started playing all of my pokemon had 4 moves of the same type (all attack moves, zero support/status moves) e.g. my first Charizard had ember, fire blast, flame thower, and fire spin.

Probably that until pokemon B/W (last game before that which I owned was Crystal I think) I really didn't give a damn about support/status as I thought it was all about damage. I occasionally had status but I'd never "waste" a moveslot on a boosting move. The idea of setting up just didn't exist in my mind.

Trading my Shiny Tentacool and Shiny Donphan from my Sapphire to a friend for a Relicanth and a Zangoose because I'd never seen them before and I was only up to 50 hours playtime and had found 3 shinies in that time... I have never seen a shiny again... I still had a Shiny Zubat from earlier than that but I released it because it was a Zubat and I had a Crobat. I really wish I had the internet at that time...

During the days of BW He also Bred a Shiny Growlithe... On his 14th fucking one (No Masuda Method). I went on to fill every box I had with Beldums. (Masuda Method)

I also kinda ripped off a different friend, I had a Ralts that I wanted trained So I traded that for his Groudon.
He reset and because that Ralts was Modest I said He could catch another and train it up and I would then give Him now Lvl 100 Groudon back.
I still have this Groudon.

Moral of Story, Don't trade or release Shinies.
Don't trade me a Groudon for a Ralts.

I thought the Masuda Method depended on language, but it actually depends on region. Being someone who plays in French, I got a 5 IV Adamant Marill with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet from an English game and bred it like mad. Needless to say, I wasted many precious hours trying to get that darn shiny, not knowing that it was pretty much futile. Thankfully, however, I did end up finding two 6 IV Marill, one for each gender, and a bunch of 31/31/31/x/31/31 Marill as well. (They all have Pure Power, obviously.)

I was playing my copy of White 2 and found a horde consisting of 4 hoppip and 1 skiploom. Nothing special, so I run like I normally do from hordes.

A few weeks later, I check my pokedex and see that skiploom can not appear in the wild and that shiny hoppip and regular skiploom have the same color scheme.

I thought the Masuda Method depended on language, but it actually depends on region. Being someone who plays in French, I got a 5 IV Adamant Marill with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet from an English game and bred it like mad. Needless to say, I wasted many precious hours trying to get that darn shiny, not knowing that it was pretty much futile. Thankfully, however, I did end up finding two 6 IV Marill, one for each gender, and a bunch of 31/31/31/x/31/31 Marill as well. (They all have Pure Power, obviously.)
Actually, I've been wondering about this. How do you know that the Masuda method now depends on region, not language? What source did you get this from?

I have a JP cart in English, and I've tried breeding with an American parent, and later a JP language Japanese region parent. Neither seemed to give me any shiny, so I had no idea which was correct.

Actually, I've been wondering about this. How do you know that the Masuda method now depends on region, not language? What source did you get this from?

I have a JP cart in English, and I've tried breeding with an American parent, and later a JP language Japanese region parent. Neither seemed to give me any shiny, so I had no idea which was correct.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method
Last sentence, first paragraph: "[The Masuda Method] occurs whenever Pokémon of differing real-world geographical origin are bred."
First sentence under Usage: "The Masuda method involves breeding two Pokémon created in games of different countries."

That's the source I used. Not sure, though. Maybe it does depend partly on language.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method
Last sentence, first paragraph: "[The Masuda Method] occurs whenever Pokémon of differing real-world geographical origin are bred."
First sentence under Usage: "The Masuda method involves breeding two Pokémon created in games of different countries."

That's the source I used. Not sure, though. Maybe it does depend partly on language.
That's... amazingly vague, lol.

I suppose that description worked in past games where you couldn't change language, but how about now? It's really annoying, especially for people like us, playing in a different language than the base cart.

Pull up a chair my friends. This is quite the tale.

Well there's the standard derpy stuff. Using Leech Seed on Magic Bouncers, using Dragon Claw on Azumarill, forgetting that it's now a Fairy, etc...
But the MOST derpalicious thing I've ever done was back in the days of Gold and Silver.

Gold was my first Pokemon game, and I got so excited that I caught everything I could find and my team quickly became full. So I'm playing with my Totodile, having a grand old time, when suddenly I get a call from professor Elm asking me to carry the egg I gave him. Problem was... I had no idea how to operate the PC.
I spent days desperately trying to make it past that damn assistant to no avail. I spent so much time that I even managed to have my Totodile evolve into a Feraligator before I finally gave up and started over.

BUT WAIT! It get's better
The second time 'round, I knew what to expect and got past the assistant. Before I knew it, I was in Ekruteak City exploring the Burned Tower. After awakening the legendary beasts, I quickly ran into Suicune. Gazing upon in shimmering beauty, I shouted "IT MUST BE MINE!!!" "How is that a problem?", you ask? See, I still didn't know how to withdraw or deposit my party Pokemon... But I knew how to release them...
As you can probably guess, I proceeded to release my well trained party members in droves to catch Suicune as well as anything else that caught my eye. Even released my starter once, thinking that since I was releasing it into the wild, I'd be able to catch it again later. Imagine my surprise when I found out it didn't work that way.

Sometimes, I lie awake at night and contemplate this odyssey of ignorance. "Was i REALLY that stupid?" "Was this a lesson the universe wished to impart upon me?" "Did my starter cry when I set it free?" And of course, the quintessential question, "WHAT ON EARTH WAS A SMOKING?!?"

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Pokemon Yellow: lost in that fossil cave for several days.

The very start of NetBattle Gen3: tried using Earthquake on Gengar for several times, wondering why the hell it didn't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)