Gen V Monotype Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
The standard version of Monotype, is OU Monotype, following the same rules and clauses of the standard OU metagame, but with the mono in type.

I only play Monotype, I use MonoBug and MonoSteel. I find really difficult to beat monofighting and monosteel.

Here's my MonoBug team, that I absolutelly love. <3

Genesect / Crustle / Yanmega / Volcarona / Forretress / Scizor

With this team I've reached a top of 1318 points in the PO servers. I wish more people played this tyer. Is really fun. :)

So does anyone still play this?

I wanted to run a mono-rock team because I love rock types. The problem with them is that they're weak to pretty much everything, so I figure you have to make a sweeper on your team work rather than try to cover your weaknesses. I'm thinking a lot of fast pokemon (Aerodactyl, Terrakion, maybe scarf ttar?) so that you can try to cheat past things that would otherwise wipe the floor with you. Any ideas for a check to Scizor?

I also wanted to try mono-grass but it seems you're so so so weak to any type of fire type. Like how do you even deal with a scarfed Darmanitan? I'm at a complete loss of where to start with grass but I feel like it has a lot of options.

I'm hoping PS can get this up on the server soon!
Dragon-monotype seems good, especially with Kyu-B who smashes anything not steel and Salamence, who can pick off a weakened steel type and gain a moxie boost before sweeping.
Ground monotype seems decent as well with Garchomp...

Due to the apparent popularity of the Monotype Tier in not only it's nomination for the "Other Metagame of the Month" for July, but also a large amount of Players, as of August, Showdown! has officially integrated our beloved Tier into the permanent "Other Metagames" Section!

Now that the first and major step in establishing the Monotype Tier has been taken, I encourage fellow Monotypist to help in the improvement of this already great Tier.

And the next step that I think must be taken is the organization of the Community; we need a place where we can have discussions with other Monotypist; a place we can call home. That being said, I would be more than pleased to revamp this Thread in an effort to establish a Community that can help improve this Tier.

So if you enjoy playing the Monotype Tier, or hell, even OU for that matter, here is your place. Please help me to improve Monotype from good to an enjoyably balanced Tier!

That being said, allow me to bring some topics to the table:

- Which Type is the best in the Tier? Why?

- Which Type is the most dominant? How?

- Should Weather be allowed? Why or why not?

- Mono-Dragon: OP or not?

Last edited:
Due to the apparent popularity of the Monotype Tier in not only it's nomination for the "Other Metagame of the Month" for July, but also a large amount of Players, as of August, Showdown! has officially integrated our beloved Tier into the permanent "Other Metagames" Section!

Now that the first and major step in establishing the Monotype Tier has been taken, I encourage fellow Monotypist to help in the improvement of this already great Tier.

And the next step that I think must be taken is the organization of the Community; we need a place where we can have discussions with other Monotypist; a place we can call home. That being said, I would be more than pleased to revamp this Thread in an effort to establish a Community that can help improve this Tier.

So if you enjoy playing the Monotype Tier, or hell, even OU for that matter, here is your place. Please help me to improve Monotype from good to an enjoyably balanced Tier!

That being said, allow me to bring some topics to the table:

- Which Type is the best in the Tier? Why?

- Which Type is the most dominant? How?

- Should Weather be allowed? Why or why not?

- Mono-Dragon: OP or not?

1-Best type? water or dragon..good neutral stabs and great versatility

2-most used? maybe the 2 above, but i really don't know....i've found many ghost, bug and fighting teams too, but maybe it's just me

3-Weather should be banned because not every type can take advantage of it. But i don't mind if it doesn't

4-mono dragon is OP but not unbeatable..and with XY now we will have mono-fairy teams too...and there's mono steel and ice...

I have an idea...many people play monotype and here in smogon we have bagdes for people who help the community.

Why not make Gym leaders in monotype? ^^

Think about it...we could make a 2 month ladder in monotype, and the best team of each type in the ladder would become "gym leader" and be able to give badges(as long as the supposed player takes the compromise to be avaliable once a week at least to battle online with challengers)

Its easy, the gym leader(monotype) just need to recod the battle with the challenger(OU team) and send to a moderator who then will give the challenger his respective type badge(this way the gym leader don't need to be a moderator from smogon)

This way we can have OU tournaments with people with 8 badges, but a normal OU tournament, not monotype..like a pokemon league

What do you guys think about it?

Mono-Ghost is my jam. Used to be mono-ice but Gen VI is introducing two of the coolest Pokemon imo that just happen to be Ghost, filling in slot 2 and 3 of favorites (used to be shared by two Ice types) right underneath the Ghost/Ground behemoth over to the left there. With the amount of type variations among Ghost types, the immunity to Normal and the oh-so-prevalent Fighting type, and the lack of solid weaknesses outside of another Ghost attack and Dark types, I can see it being very solid. The only issue is Dark and Ghost type attacks being available to many "creatures" (Bite and Crunch), physical attackers (Night Slash), and Psychic types (Shadow Ball), but that can be mitigated by the fact that the first two sections don't commonly take Ghosts into account and it's just usually left with the Psychics and Shadow Ball.

Not saying they're anywhere near the end-all-be-all of best types, but they are still a pretty strong contender in my personal opinion.

I have an idea...many people play monotype and here in smogon we have bagdes for people who help the community.

Think about it...we could make a 2 month ladder in monotype, and the best team of each type in the ladder would become "gym leader" and be able to give badges(as long as the supposed player takes the compromise to be avaliable once a week at least to battle online with challengers)

Its easy, the gym leader(monotype) just need to recod the battle with the challenger(OU team) and send to a moderator who then will give the challenger his respective type badge(this way the gym leader don't need to be a moderator from smogon)

This way we can have OU tournaments with people with 8 badges, but a normal OU tournament, not monotype..like a pokemon league

I think that's an amazing idea. Would love to try and test my mettle and be the Ghost leader, but as great of a player I find myself, I'm sadly nowhere near as competent as I'd need to be to construct a team that can stand up in OU, yet, let alone a mono-Ghost team.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine

We've done leagues before, and they didn't exactly work. If you have your own server which supports this tier, go ahead, by all means, create it. I'm not sure that Smogon will make a league though.

We've done leagues before, and they didn't exactly work. If you have your own server which supports this tier, go ahead, by all means, create it. I'm not sure that Smogon will make a league though.
On Showdown's Monotype Chat Room, we have established a League already. Be sure to check it out and ask for a Link, as I do not have one atm. When i do I'll Edit it into the Post.

But it was this kind of league? I'm talking about something that will make more ppl play mono-type because they WANT to be gym leader, and more ppl playing OU because they want badges(this site has badges for ppl who contribute, so, why not gym badges too?) and someday the "champion" status. And more ppl playing means the community is growing, participating more. I think it's good for everyone, the worst it could happen is for some ppl to play the way they play now, just casually. I don't know how to talk to the smogon guys about this, if anyone know, tell me! ^^

But it was this kind of league? I'm talking about something that will make more ppl play mono-type because they WANT to be gym leader, and more ppl playing OU because they want badges(this site has badges for ppl who contribute, so, why not gym badges too?) and someday the "champion" status. And more ppl playing means the community is growing, participating more. I think it's good for everyone, the worst it could happen is for some ppl to play the way they play now, just casually. I don't know how to talk to the smogon guys about this, if anyone know, tell me! ^^
That seems flawed seeing as they can just make the most anti-whateveryourgymis team using all the mighty OU has at its disposal.

That seems flawed seeing as they can just make the most anti-whateveryourgymis team using all the mighty OU has at its disposal.
Not if he has to register e team for all the battles(let's say 1 team per season)..he have to make a team to beat at least 8 gyms of his choice(kinda easy) and use the same team on the tournment later....it takes a little more skill to build a team like this.

Let's say someone build a team just to defeat 8 gym leaders he chooses(bug, grass, dragon, flying, rock, steel, dark, normal)...and decides to use a team with some pokemons with good ice attacks(for the first 4 gyms) and good fighting attacks(for the last 4 gyms)..and tries to balance a good team but focusing in using 2 or 3 mons who beat all theses gyms...this same guy will be easily defeated in the tournment, because he is not prepared to fight the good trainers that also beat 8 gyms. I could say the same about ppl who make anti-metagame teams to beat tournments, for them it won't be easy to beat 8 gyms just because they're monotype.

Not if he has to register e team for all the battles(let's say 1 team per season)..he have to make a team to beat at least 8 gyms of his choice(kinda easy) and use the same team on the tournment later....it takes a little more skill to build a team like this.

Let's say someone build a team just to defeat 8 gym leaders he chooses(bug, grass, dragon, flying, rock, steel, dark, normal)...and decides to use a team with some pokemons with good ice attacks(for the first 4 gyms) and good fighting attacks(for the last 4 gyms)..and tries to balance a good team but focusing in using 2 or 3 mons who beat all theses gyms...this same guy will be easily defeated in the tournment, because he is not prepared to fight the good trainers that also beat 8 gyms. I could say the same about ppl who make anti-metagame teams to beat tournments, for them it won't be easy to beat 8 gyms just because they're monotype.
That would work. The main issue I was seeing was making a different anti-Gym team for each different Gym. An anti-metagame team isn't as bad because it has to succeed more than once without changing the team to progress to the next level and get to change their team again.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Frost Server kinda already does this. You try to get into a league as a gym leader with a monotype team, and then work your way up to E4 or Champ. Alternatively, you could challenge the league, and just try to bear the whole thing. On Frost, there's a ton of leagues, so people should give it a try. And Normal is the best type. We have Smeargle. And Ditto. And Porygon2. Take a step back, Dragons.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Frost Server kinda already does this. You try to get into a league as a gym leader with a monotype team, and then work your way up to E4 or Champ. Alternatively, you could challenge the league, and just try to bear the whole thing. On Frost, there's a ton of leagues, so people should give it a try. And Normal is the best type. We have Smeargle. And Ditto. And Porygon2. Take a step back, Dragons.
Actually half of the servers already do this!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)