Unneeded things in pokemon!

I second that, especially since the censor bans so many false positives!
I totally agree, it irritates me to no end that there are so many not-perverted names that are given censors now. Frigging seriously? Oh no, I named my Starraptor Asuka, I'm totally gonna scar some kid's psyche! Blah, give me a damn break. -.-

I think that 90% of the problem with the censor is that it censors words from all languages, not just the one that you're playing in. This leads to crap (OH NO I SAID CRAP I'M GOING TO SCAR EVERYONE ON THE FORUM FOR LIFE) like not being able to use the nickname "Conkelderp", because apparently "Con" is short form for something that means "Idiot" in French. Seriously, Game Freak?

And heck, while I'm at it, I might as well mention that several normal Pokemon names are censored. [censored]keldurr, Nosep[censored], Probop[censored], Co[censored]rigus, and [censored]le, for example.

But really, I think the reason that the censor is so overly strict is not because of the kids playing the games, but because some parents are extremely overprotective and would sue Nintendo at the drop of a "crap". (See what I did there?)

(And BTW, Greninja is WAY more fitting for the nickname Asuka.)

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Budew was really unnecessary. It provided nothing to Roselia, who really needed an evo rather than a pre-evo (It did get an evo though, and Roserade is pretty awesome). All Budew really did was prevent Roselia from being legal in LC (not sure if good thing or bad thing?), and Budew's also pretty terrible there. Overall Budew is one of the most unnecessary Pokemon ever created.

I think that 90% of the problem with the censor is that it censors words from all languages, not just the one that you're playing in. This leads to crap (OH NO I SAID CRAP I'M GOING TO SCAR EVERYONE ON THE FORUM FOR LIFE) like not being able to use the nickname "Conkelderp", because apparently "Con" is short form for something that means "Idiot" in French. Seriously, Game Freak?

And heck, while I'm at it, I might as well mention that several normal Pokemon names are censored. [censored]keldurr, Nosep[censored], Probop[censored], Co[censored]rigus, and [censored]le, for example.

But really, I think the reason that the censor is so overly strict is not because of the kids playing the games, but because some parents are extremely overprotective and would sue Nintendo at the drop of a "crap". (See what I did there?)

(And BTW, Greninja is WAY more fitting for the nickname Asuka.)
Pokemon is PG. I'm pretty sure swearing is allowed in PG.
Also well I'm not sure how rating games differentiates from rating TV shows I'd just like to mention
that Big Bang Theory, Family Guy and Simpsons (though some episodes from all these series are M) are generally PG.

Having not read the whole thread, Spinda. Why?
I second that, especially since the censor bans so many false positives!
Semi off-topic, but it is a well-documented fact that AOL accidentally denied Internet access to the inhabitants of the British city of Scunthorpe for three months in 1996 because its crude spam filter erroneously picked up an obscenity embedded in the settlement's name. This incident became so notorious that this phenomenon of false-positive censorship has become known as the "Scunthorpe problem".

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Corsola
It's very cute, but what does it actually do other than sitting in your collection?
It doesn't even evolve into anything.

At least Bannette now has a Mega evo, but not Corsola.

Censoring of Pokemon names. There is no goddamn reason I shouldn't be able to name my Tentacruel "Hentai". It's not going to traumatize anyone who sees it or anything...
SO TRUE!!
I can't even name my Smeargle "Brushtail" because it has sht and looks like shit to the censor.

The Finneon line is the most pointless line in Pokemon. They offer absolutely nothing creatively or competitively. As if we needed more bland fish Pokemon.
I have to admit, I actually really like Lumineon's design, and it's cry is probably my favourite out of every Pokémon. I think it's much more interesting than the likes of Basculin or Seaking

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stuff like delcatty and corsola. They have awesome designs but their stats are terrible. At least the delcatty line got some love in the anime but im just sitting here with my choice band hustle adamant corsola.

edit: i wouldnt say corsola is irrelevant because its sooooo amazing, its one of the only trades in ruby/saphire

Expiration dates on Event Pokemon. Helps folks just coming back to the games, or those who get an older one and want to take advantage. Plus, now that the big N is more online-centric, it shouldn't be impossible to keep those Wondercards up indefinitely.

I hate to say it, but...IVs. Face it, competitive builds go for flawless/perfect anyway, and you're out of your league if you don't do that extra work. Most don't and hack those IVs, so why not just get rid of IVs. If you think about it, the competitive aspect of the game, through IV breeding and RNGing, is only scaling the base stats up across the board. Lose IVs, and you'll still have the same overall level of stat balance. Let the player select their Hidden Power attribute. This means wild Pokemon can be played, breeders will only need to go after natures and egg moves, and it puts everyone on even footing competitively. Skill, planning, EV distribution, and knowledge of the meta will be the ultimate deciding factors of the competitive ladders. IVs are more accesible than ever, but it makes so many Pokemon useless, as everything caught in the wild, barring a mathematical miracle, is utterly worthless competitively, and that seems to go against the spirit.

Mega Evolutions given to Pokemon that are already powerful as it is.

I would've much preferred to see a Pokemon like Tropius (easily one of my favorite designs in Pokemon) or Spinda (the cutest Pokemon in XY, bar none, and his shiny design is awesome; he's like a drunk teddybear!) get a Mega Evo than Mewtwo or something.

Agreeing with the megas for things that really did not need them. I get that M-Garchomp being slower is a balancing factor, but then you have the most absurd nonsense like Lucario (it really did not need 112 base speed on top of Adaptability).

Also, were it Gen 5 would I say "Water-types getting buffed with each generation", seeing that whole "muh rain" and "better burn move than any fire-type gets accessible to every Water-type". Though this generation, the weather nerf and Fire getting more resistances was definitely a step forward. Now if only, they did that for Ice...

About the censor thing, I find it hilarious how broken that whole system is. You can't name your Jolteon "Spike" for whatever deranged reason... but "Arseface" is totally fine. Okay. If you're playing the German version, you can seriously put in "Arschgeige" for a nickname... even though anything with "Arsch" (arse) is supposed to be censored...!?

Yes, I'm complaining about the censor again, but I agree with how broken it is. It seems to do more harm than good, censoring loads of false positives (Spike being a key one), while still being easy to get past by replacing one or more of the letters with numbers or symbols.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Only one thing came to mind from reading the title.

IVs.

It is a huge barrier for newcomers, an unnecessary inconvenience to veterans, and the leading cause of hacking.
Indeed. What is the point of IVs in the first place?

I mean, whilst variations in nature can allow the same Pokemon be played differently, how is variation in IVs beneficial in any way?

I mean, whilst variations in nature can allow the same Pokemon be played differently, how is variation in IVs beneficial in any way?
Special Attackers can minimize confusion damage with 0 Attack IVs. TR sweepers and Gyro Ball pokemon can sweep better/have more powerful STAB with 0 speed IVs. That's about it.

Special Attackers can minimize confusion damage with 0 Attack IVs. TR sweepers and Gyro Ball pokemon can sweep better/have more powerful STAB with 0 speed IVs. That's about it.
Actually, that's not the reason for IVs existing. IVs were a way to give more individuality to pokemon. I remember NPCs saying things to the effect of "even if they are the same species, no two pokemon are the same" or something like that. That's all well and good back before competitive battling, but now it's all about breeding pokemon so "perfect" that they have no more individuality, defeating the point of IVs in the first place.

Actually, that's not the reason for IVs existing. IVs were a way to give more individuality to pokemon. I remember NPCs saying things to the effect of "even if they are the same species, no two pokemon are the same" or something like that. That's all well and good back before competitive battling, but now it's all about breeding pokemon so "perfect" that they have no more individuality, defeating the point of IVs in the first place.
That's definitely an interesting point. Honestly, I'd much prefer it if GF eliminated IVs altogether and expanded the EV system for more direct customization on the user's part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)