Pokémon Banette

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would dazzling gleam work on it. Allows it to nail dark types.

I see a potential set as being

Banette@Banettite
248 HP/ 252 ATK / 8 S ATK

Destiny bond
Dazzling gleam
Phantom Force/ Shadow claw/ Shadow Sneak
Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave/ Shadow sneak

Hmm, well ignore my last post.

I have a move set of
Taunt
Will O Wisp
Destiny Bond
Shadow Sneak

Naughty nature
Max Attack and HP EVs

and its actually pretty good.

He is a great late game pokemon, very bad in the early game I'd say, very good late game when he can just come in, get some easy revenge kills, taunt walls and stallers and cripple physical things and D-bond boosted sweepers.

It has been awhile since I write something here and there have been some discoveries that I found personally(vet player prob have realized this ><):

1) Phantom Force is not a very good move. With Mega-Kangaskhan regarded as one of the best Mega, there are too many people using it that they can have a free switch in on Phantom Force. Even if there is no Kangaskhan, there are still commonly used Normal type pokemon like Diggersby and Heliolisk.

2)
3) Pursuit has no place on Banette, it doesn't exactly bring infinite fear causing the opponent to switch. Sableye he is no
Pursuit on Banette doesn't tend to work due to it not really something which tends to frighten people into running for their life, with Banette the tendency is to stay in nd test your luck in trying to overcome it.
It has been awhile since Pokemon X&Y is out and many people has probably seen, face and die to Mega Banette prankster DB. In fact, in many recent fight that I had, most people will withdraw their sweeper into toxic/stall wall when Mega-Banette is out. So now I believe, Pursuit is a worthy move to be considered.

I am breeding one now for banette with Pursuit,Confuse Ray, DB and Disable, wondering if there is a way to pass down more than 4 egg skill =.=
Anyway, I will report back once I have enough experiment with my new set...but before that need to breed a good iv banette first =(

Disable is not good on Banette in my experience. I think all I did was breed a dusclops that knew DB and Disable and pursuit with a shuppet, might have had to breed something with the dusclops but dont think so.

Also pursuit is a waste of a move slot IMO. It doesn't hit hard enough anyways even if people do switch out vs banette all the time, which usually doesnt happen against me.

Hmm, well ignore my last post.

I have a move set of
Taunt
Will O Wisp
Destiny Bond
Shadow Sneak

Naughty nature
Max Attack and HP EVs
Shadow Sneak and other priority moves are terrible on Mega Banette. If you want a revenge killer, run someone able to stop a wide variety of threats without having them significantly weakened first - Genesect or Talonflame come to mind - because by running a priority move you screw with Mega Banette's best attribute (Destiny Bond), since the effects wear off the next time you make an attack. By being slower than your opponent in nearly every scenario you are able to conserve precious Destiny Bond PP and guarantee that when you go down, the opponent will too.

About Pursuit: You are right - Pursuit is awful. But not because it doesn't do enough damage - you're not looking to damage things with Mega Banette: you're looking to screw with your opponent. Run Knock Off. If you know how to use Mega Banette you know who to bring it into to force a switch - fast, powerful sweepers, like Garchomp, Salamence, Mega Kangaskhan, and other Pokemon that don't like to be burnt, or absolutely cannot afford to be lost because of how ridiculously powerful they are. Knock Off lets you ruin switch-ins like Rotom-W and Heatran, among others, who don't particularly care about being burnt, and where Destiny Bond is pretty much a waste because they can just use status and ruin you that way.

Reiterating: If you know who to bring Mega Banette in on and when, as long as the opponent actually knows what Mega Banette is capable of doing, you will force switches. Don't risk a loss in momentum for a crappy priority move - cripple the opponent's Pokemon.

Your EV spread is also pretty bad. Mega Banette can be given EV spreads that reach certain thresholds and let it survive certain attacks. Look at Labyrinthe's analysis on Mega Banette for posts discussing more defense-oriented EV spreads.

I would recommend this:

Banette @ Banettite
252 HP / 244 DEF / 12 SDEF @ Impish
252 HP / 40 DEF / 216 SDEF @ Careful
~ Taunt
~ Knock Off
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Destiny Bond

The first spread lets you switch in a completely healthy Mega Banette into Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's unboosted Parental Bond Crunch and live, even after Stealth Rock damage. While I am not advocating that you switch Mega Banette into an expected Crunch (rather, Power-Up Punch, Return, or Sucker Punch are much better), having a panic button when you need it isn't exactly a bad option to have. The second spread lets you avoid the OHKO from Life Orb Greninja's Dark Pulse after Stealth Rock damage, which can give you an opportunity to Mega Evolve and be ready to fire off priority Destiny Bond's before you kick the bucket.

Hi new member, long time lurker so I'm here to give my analysis on Mega Banette

First of all, I disagree with the post above saying that priority moves are bad on M. Banette. They are actually one of the best ways of getting Banette to mega evolve with full HP if used correctly. See, the trick with Shadow Sneak and Sucker punch is to switch M. Banette on a weakened Choice user or Set-up Sweeper and KO them to ensure safe a Mega Evolution. Afterwards you could just switch out Mega Banette and save him for a moment when his Destiny Bond would be needed.

Moving on, my Banette looks something like this:

Banette@Banettite
252 HP/252 ATK/4 DEF Adamant
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw
- W-o-W
-Destiny Bond

Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw/DB synergy.

I usually send out Banette against a weakened sweeper or any fragile Psychic/Ghost types like Alakazam, Gengar, and friends in order for him to MEvo. After getting the KO, opponents would most likely send out their Banette counter. During this encounter you could either switch and save Destiny Bond for later or fight. If they send out a mon that you think can kill Banette in one turn then go Destiny Bond. If its a wall you better switch cause it might be carrying a status move. If its a sweeper which you know can't kill you then go for Shadow Claw. Destiny Bond/Sucker Punch + Shadow Claw creates actually interesting mind games for opponents. They would have to consider whether they should continue setting up which would mean a Shadow Claw to the face and a possible follow-up Sucker Punch and give a clean kill for M. Banette or go one for one with Destiny Bond.

I see M. Banette more as a mid-game mon. I don't believe he is a good lead due to him starting out with a base 65 speed and w/o Prankster on the turn which it MEvos. I also don't believe that he should be someone who should saved till the end because using Destiny Bond with M. Banette as your last pokemon would ensure that you lose. He is an excellent status spreader and revenge killer. Play his strengths and you'll never regret picking him as your MEvo.

Last edited:
Shadow Sneak is just not a good option for Banette.
I agree with Cshadow that in most cases Banette wants to be slower than its enemies when it attacks, so the enemy has to choose between
1. kill Banette and die,
2. use non-damaging moves and take damage or
3. switch and let Banette gets free damage.
In any case, it's better to hit slow and strong, as opposed to priority with low BP.
Sucker Punch can be good because it actually has a decent BP.

How would dazzling gleam work on it. Allows it to nail dark types.

I see a potential set as being

Banette@Banettite
248 HP/ 252 ATK / 8 S ATK

Destiny bond
Dazzling gleam
Phantom Force/ Shadow claw/ Shadow Sneak
Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave/ Shadow sneak
The problem with this set is that most Dark type attacks that are going to be aimed at Banette are going to be physical, so priority WoW does the job perfectly. Also Dazzling Gleam would let you hit dragon types for SE damage, but it won't be doing that much while the dragon types are going to do a lot of damage back to you. Here are some simple calcs

252 Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Banette: 255-300 (77 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Banette: 243-286 (73.4 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Banette: 249-294 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Banette: 241-285 (72.8 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Banette: 249-294 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

These calcs are based off of your EV spread for Banette and assuming a neutral nature. Dazzling Gleam fails to 2HKO any of thse except Hydreigon. while on the flip side many of these are guaranteed a 2HKO with on Banette. Personally I think that Dazzling Gleam is a waste of a moveslot on M-Banette who already has moveslot problems. You are much better off running Thunderbolt, so can also take on Skarmory and water types better. Thats just my 2 cents on the matter though. Maybe it works for you.

Shadow Sneak is just not a good option for Banette.
I agree with Cshadow that in most cases Banette wants to be slower than its enemies when it attacks, so the enemy has to choose between
1. kill Banette and die,
2. use non-damaging moves and take damage or
3. switch and let Banette gets free damage.
In any case, it's better to hit slow and strong, as opposed to priority with low BP.
Sucker Punch can be good because it actually has a decent BP.
As one of the people that originally proposed shadow sneak way back, it *is* useful as a way to mega evolve quickly. However, while I haven't turned my attention back to it yet, I have been running into a recurring theme or concept of being able to control when you move, so for any set that runs shadow sneak, you would also need a non-priority attack paired with it. My set way back listed pursuit, but since mega gengar is now banned, perhaps knock-off might be a decent option in power and team support. Maybe something like

Shadow Sneak
Knock Off
Will-O-Wisp
Destiny Bond

I still feel that Destiny Bond is just core on him, he's the best user of it, almost no contest. He is immune to a lot of priority moves, is faster than azumarill's aqua jet, and speed ties scizor's bullet punch before mega evolution, where he then beats it. Right now, my main thought of him is like a kind of anti-mon, or anti-mega. While he himself is not the best mega in a vacuum, he does have the potential to remove your opponent's mega from the fight as well. But he will never be a mon that can just be put into a team. he's got the potential for support, but needs support as well.

As one of the people that originally proposed shadow sneak way back, it *is* useful as a way to mega evolve quickly. However, while I haven't turned my attention back to it yet, I have been running into a recurring theme or concept of being able to control when you move, so for any set that runs shadow sneak, you would also need a non-priority attack paired with it. My set way back listed pursuit, but since mega gengar is now banned, perhaps knock-off might be a decent option in power and team support. Maybe something like

Shadow Sneak
Knock Off
Will-O-Wisp
Destiny Bond

I still feel that Destiny Bond is just core on him, he's the best user of it, almost no contest. He is immune to a lot of priority moves, is faster than azumarill's aqua jet, and speed ties scizor's bullet punch before mega evolution, where he then beats it. Right now, my main thought of him is like a kind of anti-mon, or anti-mega. While he himself is not the best mega in a vacuum, he does have the potential to remove your opponent's mega from the fight as well. But he will never be a mon that can just be put into a team. he's got the potential for support, but needs support as well.
You basically rely on enemy switching out afraid of Shadow Sneak damage.
Protect is much better for that and offers additional utility of scouting enemy moves.

252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 260-308 (99.6 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 122-146 (37.6 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 320-380 (127.4 - 151.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 108-128 (28.8 - 34.2%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Trevenant: 150-176 (40.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Banette Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 260-308 (95.9 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Gengar, Alakazam and Espeon are threatened by Shadow Sneak and should switch out if they see Banette.
Though I think Alakazam is not a problem with Sucker Punch anyway.

Banette has some of the worst 4MSS ever :(
It needs Destiny Bond, because without it, why bother running a Banette?
It also needs Taunt to prevent being a setup bait and stalled out of D-Bond.
It needs a slower move to utilize its D-Bond. A good BP move to use its great Atk stats is preferable (but physical ghost move ... none of them are great, the best being Phantom Force which locks you).
It also needs priority move to finish weakened enemy.
It needs protect as 100% sure way to mega evolve and gets Prankster buff.
Will-o-wisp is kinda nice to have.

Last thing, Mega Banette is not an anti-mega pokemon. He just can't force a pokemon to stay in.
Opponent can choose their least valuable pokemon to sacrifice to Banette and you can't do anything to it aside from trying to take it out with Banette (if you can) or switch out and try again later.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but mega Banette is not a perfect mon. Need more time to really figure out what to do with him. I wish I knew what they were thinking, giving him those stats paired with prankster -_-. Hell, it wouldn't even have been so bad if banette could have picked up parting shot. Then it would be amazing. but so it goes.

Anyway, yeah, phantom force is powerful, but just is not an option right now due to mega kanga (which admittedly megaB should be able to consistently force out from better players, and trade with worse ones).

There has to be some way to use priority destiny bond as a means to gain some momentum. Ugh, it just reeks, wasting that high attack stat! So close, yet so far.

Anyway, pardon this post being not very useful for discussion. I'll be sure to return at a later point when I have something of some intelligence to provide.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but mega Banette is not a perfect mon. Need more time to really figure out what to do with him. I wish I knew what they were thinking, giving him those stats paired with prankster -_-. Hell, it wouldn't even have been so bad if banette could have picked up parting shot. Then it would be amazing. but so it goes.

Anyway, yeah, phantom force is powerful, but just is not an option right now due to mega kanga (which admittedly megaB should be able to consistently force out from better players, and trade with worse ones).

There has to be some way to use priority destiny bond as a means to gain some momentum. Ugh, it just reeks, wasting that high attack stat! So close, yet so far.

Anyway, pardon this post being not very useful for discussion. I'll be sure to return at a later point when I have something of some intelligence to provide.
Dude, in my opinion, I think that M-Banette acts more like a stallbreaker/pivot for your team. Priority WoW, Taunt, Destiny Bond, Thunderwave and Substitute are all great at forcing switches as well as breaking stall teams. I think M-Banette really shines setup sweepers (especially physical ones) and stall poke. Taunt, prevents opposing pokemon to setup anything and either forces them to attack or switch. WoW basically neuters all physical attacks which makes physical attackers useless. Destiny Bond just lets you play mind games with the opponent and makes them wary to attack you in case you might lose your own pokemon.

M-Banette definitely brings something new to the table that other ghost types couldn't do in previous gens. It stats may not be great, but IMO if its used right it is an absolute nightmare (pun intended) for your opponent. Definitely one of my favourite megas so far.

Mega Banette like I mentioned before has bad 4MSS problem.
All the move you mentioned (except for Substitute) are great, but which one would you take out of his moveset.
He also needs to bring damage move so as not to be a taunt bait and give him the ability of taking opponent's pokemon aside from D-Bond.
The other problem with Mega Banette is, he just requires so many predictions.
Do you use Taunt first to prevent buff/roost/status or do you use Destiny Bond because they are going to KO you or maybe just attack because the opponent is going to switch?
He is just very unreliable to use.

Well, pokemon is a prediction game after all. We win if we manage to predict opponent move may it be pokemon move or switch and lose if we mispredict. I think this is just one aspect of this.

Lets look at it more positively, it indeed suffer from bad 4MSS problem, it want to do too much despite of having only 4 moveslots and has to make a lot of guesses...but if we look at it from the other way, this mean our opponent will have to guess what set we are running. Unlike pokemon that has fixed set and has fixed counter, there is no telling what set a MBanette is running. Just like how people dont like to use MBanette because of its uncertainty, opponent too will not like to face MBanette because of the uncertainty it brings to the table.

In the end, it is still Pokemon game. You win if you predict well and lose if you mispredict + some factor of luck ofc.

Well, pokemon is a prediction game after all. We win if we manage to predict opponent move may it be pokemon move or switch and lose if we mispredict. I think this is just one aspect of this.

Lets look at it more positively, it indeed suffer from bad 4MSS problem, it want to do too much despite of having only 4 moveslots and has to make a lot of guesses...but if we look at it from the other way, this mean our opponent will have to guess what set we are running. Unlike pokemon that has fixed set and has fixed counter, there is no telling what set a MBanette is running. Just like how people dont like to use MBanette because of its uncertainty, opponent too will not like to face MBanette because of the uncertainty it brings to the table.

In the end, it is still Pokemon game. You win if you predict well and lose if you mispredict + some factor of luck ofc.
This is probably why I love M-Banette. The fact that he is one of the overlooked megas this gen make it really unpredictable to most people. I personally just run WoW / Taunt / Destiny Bond / Shadow Sneak. These Taunt, WoW and Destiny bond make this thing an absolute douche to play against, especially physical attackers. But as you said, prediction is extremely important on M-Banette, more so than other pokemon. One wrong move can spell disaster for you, which is why I guess a lot of people may not like playing M-Banette. Anyways agree with what you said 100%.

Noob question: If Taunt is used the next turn after Destiny Bond, will Destiny Bond's effect disappear? I only read that the effects go away when you attack.

Noob question: If Taunt is used the next turn after Destiny Bond, will Destiny Bond's effect disappear? I only read that the effects go away when you attack.
The effects of DB go away once your turn comes around (i.e. you use a move). So, if you DB, your opponent doesn't kill you, and then you Taunt next turn, the effects of DB will disappear.

Do you guys think there is a chance of Banette getting the boot to ubers? I mean, they banned wynaut for like 3 gens. And it was just custap Destiny bond. Now it's prankster destiny bond. With 165 base attack. I hope not, this is by far the most effective mega I've ever used, not in it's ability to sweep, but to pick things off to allow other things to sweep. For example: Oh no, That blank is preventing my blank to sweep. I can then Lure it out, and poof, DB, or free damage. Yay, i win. its also the greatest panic button ever.

Do you guys think there is a chance of Banette getting the boot to ubers? I mean, they banned wynaut for like 3 gens. And it was just custap Destiny bond. Now it's prankster destiny bond. With 165 base attack. I hope not, this is by far the most effective mega I've ever used, not in it's ability to sweep, but to pick things off to allow other things to sweep. For example: Oh no, That blank is preventing my blank to sweep. I can then Lure it out, and poof, DB, or free damage. Yay, i win. its also the greatest panic button ever.
Banette, ubers? No way in hell. The reason Wynaut got booted to ubers before was because of Shadow Tag, not DB. MBanette has shit defenses, and has a sky high Attack stat that it honestly isn't going to be using much because Prankster is so much better. And Prankster DB sounds good on paper, but it relies so much on prediction, and the opponent can just switch out. Also, MBanette has the worst 4MSS in Pokemon history.

It'll be UU at best.

Banette, ubers? No way in hell. The reason Wynaut got booted to ubers before was because of Shadow Tag, not DB. MBanette has shit defenses, and has a sky high Attack stat that it honestly isn't going to be using much because Prankster is so much better. And Prankster DB sounds good on paper, but it relies so much on prediction, and the opponent can just switch out. Also, MBanette has the worst 4MSS in Pokemon history.

It'll be UU at best.
OU, easily. Prankster is just too great of a utility. The threat of DB forces switches, and pursuit, off it's high attack, even when neutral nets some kills, or just hitting the switch with shadow claw hits pretty heftily.

Alright. Back, tired, but ready to start my banette reanalysis. I am going to go back over the 10 pages of the thread in just a bit to see what I can glean, but the general goal is to step back, just look at what MegaBane has going on for him, both in general and specially for him, look at what he needs, and then try to use some of those conclusions to figure out what kind of niche/team he's looking to be a part of. Also, kudos to Labyrinthine for their analysis preview. The article is good. This is me just mucking around regardless and attempting to see if I can think of anything else to do with MegaB.

First impressions:
-Mega Banette can most certainly end up being one of the better prankster pokes available for OU. With the prankster Genies/Kami in Ubers, competition is honestly not high in this regard.
-His only direct competition is Sableye, with other potential users being Whimsicott and Klefki, with liepard most likely trailing behind them.
-Like Sableye, Ghost type offers 2 useful immunities that help provide opportunities for switches, as well as some protection from enemy priority.
-Base Banette is a sad liability. Mega Banette is not ideal statistically, but does hold a very, very high attack. Worth noting/examination
-Mega Banette is further separated by other pranksters due to potential movepool. Only prankster with Destiny Bond, Disable, Pain Split, as well as nice range of status in a single mon: while others have access to paralysis, burn, or toxic, no other OU prankster has access to all three of those status at once. And of course, it still has the necessary taunt access to remain competitive with other pranksters.

First conclusion: a mon that can provide a decent range of utility, particularly with a focus on forcing switches, that also has strong offensive potential, though with a limited pool. Primary flaws include inferior bulk and very weak prior to mega evolution.

Alright. Back, tired, but ready to start my banette reanalysis. I am going to go back over the 10 pages of the thread in just a bit to see what I can glean, but the general goal is to step back, just look at what MegaBane has going on for him, both in general and specially for him, look at what he needs, and then try to use some of those conclusions to figure out what kind of niche/team he's looking to be a part of. Also, kudos to Labyrinthine for their analysis preview. The article is good. This is me just mucking around regardless and attempting to see if I can think of anything else to do with MegaB.

First impressions:
-Mega Banette can most certainly end up being one of the better prankster pokes available for OU. With the prankster Genies/Kami in Ubers, competition is honestly not high in this regard.
-His only direct competition is Sableye, with other potential users being Whimsicott and Klefki, with liepard most likely trailing behind them.
-Like Sableye, Ghost type offers 2 useful immunities that help provide opportunities for switches, as well as some protection from enemy priority.
-Base Banette is a sad liability. Mega Banette is not ideal statistically, but does hold a very, very high attack. Worth noting/examination
-Mega Banette is further separated by other pranksters due to potential movepool. Only prankster with Destiny Bond, Disable, Pain Split, as well as nice range of status in a single mon: while others have access to paralysis, burn, or toxic, no other OU prankster has access to all three of those status at once. And of course, it still has the necessary taunt access to remain competitive with other pranksters.

First conclusion: a mon that can provide a decent range of utility, particularly with a focus on forcing switches, that also has strong offensive potential, though with a limited pool. Primary flaws include inferior bulk and very weak prior to mega evolution.
I think you should also add a bit about the fact that M-Banette relies heavily on prediction and that it has an extreme case of 4MSS. Looking forward to reading your analysis. Plus in my own bias, M-Bannette is my fav mega yet.

OU, easily. Prankster is just too great of a utility. The threat of DB forces switches, and pursuit, off it's high attack, even when neutral nets some kills, or just hitting the switch with shadow claw hits pretty heftily.
Liepard, Whimsicott have Prankster, but I'm sure they weren't and won't be anywhere near OU.
I'm quite sure Prankster does not mean insta-OU. Even Sableye wasn't in OU and Sableye is much more reliable on what he does and requires much less prediction.
Just as Banette can predict switch, the opponent also can predict DB/Taunt/WoW/Shadow Claw. It works both way.
Prankster DB is good, but I'm just not sure that many people will be willing to take the risk with Mega Banette.
Mega Banette will be UU at best.

KidX Ah sorry. I don't know if what I do will qualify as a standard smogon analysis. I meant more of just going back over everything and trying to distill new ground. These are some of my hunches, based on past thoughts and reexamining what I thought:
1) It may very well be that you simply need a way to megaevolve, though players with experience can talk about their experiences and if banette keeps getting dropped before you get to do anything, or what opportunities they are getting for evolution. Again, this slot seems like *required to do the job* but if players who are getting to actually play, rather than constantly breeding (Yours Truly) can confirm the ability to reliably evolve without priority, then this slot can be freed up.
--This means Protect/Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch.
---Protect is most reliable, but offers no offensive presence
---sucker punch is the most powerful priority at banette's disposal, but does suffer from lower PP as well as further requiring prediction.
---Shadow sneak is the middle ground, not as strong as sucker punch, but able to be used as simple priority on a now fairly strong offensive typing from a mon with a strong attack stat to make use of it. Which of these that you use can help determine the role of your megabanette.

2) I feel like every banette set needs to run either Destiny Bond or Disable, to utilize mega banette's unique position.
-What these two moves have in common is their ability to force switches. This means that it may be helpful to look at banette through the lens of being a psudeo-hazer, or even a rather unusual pivot. Mega Banette, like Jirachi, has a decent range of potential, but 4mss means that you must decide what your team needs from mega Banette, and to stitch together your poppet accordingly.
-While Labyrinthine did discount Disable in their analysis as something to be done by other pokes, having singular access to priority disable in a world where many teams run at least one choice item can be useful.
--Choiced attackers, those without sufficient coverage, and one-attack mons do not like to be Disabled.
--Destiny Bond threatens a straight trade against all-out or choiced mons, and as for arguments that the opposing mon can simply set up instead, this can create opportunities depending on options.
-It is worth noting that the option that you choose here does dictate what other moves you need to bring your set together.

Continuing.

3) Before discussing banette's movepool and other such things, it's important to understand in what way we can use banette most effectively. Upon consideration, this simplification occurs to me:
-There are 2 major kinds of pokemon:
--Those that wish to stay on the field (sweepers, stalling mons, bulky offensive mons)
--and those that wish to switch as soon as they can, or who wish to switch frequently (hazard-layers, support/disablers, VoltTurn, and annoyances).

MegaBanette is outclassed as a sweeper by other options, and is not particularly bulky. Further, the only recovery move in it's arsenal is pain split (quick notes on pain split: does get priority, which is nice. not yet available to cart players, and should not currently be legal with phantom force). As such, Banette should not be considered as a pokemon that wants to stay out for a slugfest. That's not it's job, and attempting to do so will most likely lead to disappointing results for you, the trainer.

Where Banette has the potential to excel is in the ability to create space or momentum for your team. It's most notable moves, disable, destiny bond, taunt, and status effects, are all moves which ruin your opponent's plans, leading to switches.

My time is running out for now, so I will be more brief for the moment.
-Banette is a poke that looks to megaevolve early, and repeated jump into and out of battle, pranking opposing pokemon and either spooking them off the field so that you yourself can switch, or otherwise take control of the opponent's behavior and thereby manipulate them to your advantage.

-Disable with Priority is useful for being able to cripple and force out choice-mons. In particular, scarf'd and specs mons are vulnerable to banette, as neither of those items empowers the resulting Struggle. Scarfs are frequently worn as the sweepers/mons wearing them do not have priority, so banette completely removes that advantage. In addition, banette is given an extra opportunity to switch in on these mons, as it cannot be Tricked a scarf or specs due to mega stone rules, and creates another free opportunity to switch.
REQUEST INFO: Smogon states that Disable affects "the last move that successfully hit" Does this mean that it ignores the Fighting and Normal moves which do not hurt banette? If so, this can become even more effective for non-choice users with limited coverage.

-Disable users are highly recommended to have pain split or at least will-o-wisp as megaB will be hit by struggle.

-Destiny bond is very powerful, but does have extra requirements. Against Choice, it does force switch like disable or results in a trade. However, You must know your opponent's mons a bit to use it effectively. Spamming D.Bond on a setup-sweeper is bad.
-D. Bond users want Taunt to stop all manner of set-ups, including enemy taunt.
-D. Bond users also require the ability to go after their opponent, as well as before them. An ordinary attack accomplishes this. Knock off provides a strong first hit and strong utility against non-megas. Shadow Claw is a strong stab, while Pursuit allows you to tag enemies on the switch out. Phantom Force sadly provides too much opportunity to the highly powerful and popular mega-kangaskan, and should not be used presently.

-Remember: switching after your D.Bond or Disable can frequently be a solid option, and may be your regular action depending on move-set and opponent comp. Since you can be fairly certain your opponent will switch, you yourself can predict their switch and use your own. Not as clean as VoltTurn, but still completely legitimate.

All for now. More to come at a later point.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT DOESN'T mean insta OU. HOWEVER, combined with Banette's great moveset, and reasonable bulk (can take a fire blast from choice specs timid heatran) and a sky high attack making even some megas jealous, it makes it easily a OU candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)