Pokémon Aerodactyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, it's like Game Freak gave Mega Aerodactyl something that fit perfectly flavor-wise (if you could possibly classify those little black spikes all over its body or those pooper-scoopers it calls "feet" as claws xD), but didn't think about the moves it could get. Tough Claws in general affects WAY more moves than Strong Jaw, which explains why it only has a 1.2x boost as opposed to 1.5x, but they just had to decimate its chances of being great by giving it no moves above 80 BP to go with it.
A 135 Atk stat is nothing to scoff at, and that 33%(recent posts in research thread say so, at least) boost certainly isn't insubstantial.
Proof

Hmm, just to remove any doubts:

LV78 Mega Charizard X (240 Attack) uses Fly vs. LV100 Aegislash (147 Defense).

If 1.2x boost, Fly should do 50-59 damage
If 1.3x boost, Fly should do 54-64 damage

First test did 56 damage. Second test did 65 damage. That's... odd. Perhaps there was a problem with my math?

((((78*2/5+2)/50)*240*90*1.3/147)+2)*0.5*0.85 = 54.8
((((78*2/5+2)/50)*240*90*1.3/147)+2)*0.5 = 64.4

Now, we could attribute this to some sort of rounding error, but there's another possible explanation:

((((78*2/5+2)/50)*240*90*1.33/147)+2)*0.5*0.85 = 56.0
((((78*2/5+2)/50)*240*90*1.33/147)+2)*0.5 = 65.9

Based on this, I believe Tough Claws has a x1.33 boost.
As for the moves we know that it gets that make contact:
Crunch (106-ish BP after boost)
Iron Head (106-ish BP after boost)
Aerial Ace (80 BP after boost)
The Fangs (86-ish BP after boost)
Dragon Claw (106-ish BP after Boost)
Aqua Tail (119-ish BP after boost)(once pokebank comes out)

It has good power and coverage with these moves as well as its 135 base Attack. Let's not forget about its fantastic speed and respectable bulk that allows it to take a priority attack or two. I'm not sure what's so underwhelming or useless about that.

So, with the tough claws boost, what would make a good MegaDactyl move set?
It gets roost, could that be an option?
and what Fang would give you the best coverage? What would it be used against. I can think of 3 premier megas: Alakazam, Gengar, and Garchomp. Maybe Ice Fang and Crunch would do the trick. You could also change ice fang out for dragon claw as it does more goodra. Or maybe ThunderFang against TalonFlame. What would be it's Counters, and what would IT counter?
It counters
The mega crew: Alakazam, Gengar, and Garchomp
Goodra?
Talonflame?

Countered by?
Barbaracle
skarmory

I will continue to add on with editing with people's suggestions.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 130-154 (43.18 - 51.16%) -- 4.69% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 272-324 (90.36 - 107.64%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO

Dear Lord, he takes a Mach Punch from Conkeldurr like a freaking Champ. And it takes a Choice Band for Azumarill to stand a chance of OHKOing it. This thing is a beast.

I've been switching around Megas, but I really love Mega Aerodactyl.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Elemental Fang or Crunch
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Kinda what I've been using, not really supposed to decimate teams, but it does what it needs to. Resisting SR and ignoring everything else makes him one of the best Defog users, which is how I started using him. I also prefer Rock Slide over Stone Miss because of the 30% flinch chance.

I've been switching around Megas, but I really love Mega Aerodactyl.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Elemental Fang or Crunch
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Kinda what I've been using, not really supposed to decimate teams, but it does what it needs to. Resisting SR and ignoring everything else makes him one of the best Defog users, which is how I started using him. I also prefer Rock Slide over Stone Miss because of the 30% flinch chance.
Aerodactyl is actually weak to Stealth Rock, as Rock does not resist itself.

Is this thing able to get stealth rocks or not in Gen VI without pokebank? I wanted to add a mega aero to my team with his amazing speed and taunt, SR and 1HKO Gengar action.

I don't even use Taunt. It can just kill too many things with it's moveset

Ice Fang (Dragonite and Garchomp)
Crunch (Alakazam and Gengar)
Aerial Ace (die breloom, and most other fighting types)
Rock Slide (actually, I might use taunt instead. I can't really thing of anything besides Talon Flame.)

Note, I included Alakazam because It's faster than it on the 1st turn, as the normal speed is used. How many Alakazams run a speed positive nature?

I've been running Jolly Megadactyl.

Rock Slide- Flinch Chance
Crunch- Def lower
Iron Head- Flinch Chance
Ice Fang- Flinch/freeze chance

It's gotten me some surprise come from behind victories, and can actually survive the stray Ice Beam from neutral pokemon. It does decently against fairy, dragons, ghosts, psychic, rock, fire, flying. Under sand storm it's proven it's slight special bulk, i'm using the term bulk loosely.

Last edited:
Has anyone testing Megadactyl found Hone Claws to be worth using at all? Granted, he probably doesn't want to waste a turn setting up when something can potentially kill him in the process, but patching Stone Edge's accuracy has to be at least somewhat worthwhile, I'm thinking. I ran a HC Aero in Gen 5 UU and he worked reasonably well.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You people stupidly underestimate Mega-Aerodactyl.

<p>Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite<br />
Ability: Tough Claws<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe <br />
Adamant Nature / Jolly<br />
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang<br />
- Taunt / Roost</p>

<li>252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl (Fire Fang) vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 122-144 (37.3 - 44.03%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock.</li>
<li>252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl (Move 3) vs. 224 HP / 32 Def Skarmory: 156-184 (47.7 - 56.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock</li>
<li>252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl (Move 3) vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 292-348 (82.95 - 98.86%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.</li>

The amount of power on this Pokemon is awesome. Taunt is really awesome and I can't wait for Tough Claws Aqua Tail for Hippowdon / Gliscor (sure lose out on Aegislash... but c'est la vie).

Pokedex Number
Type - Rock/Flying
Base Stats - 80 HP / 105 Atk / 65 Def / 60 SpAtk / 75 SpDef / 130 Spe
Base Stats (ME) - 80 HP / 135 Atk / 85 Def / 70 SpAtk / 95 SpDef / 150 Spe

Ability - Rock Head [Protects the Pokémon from recoil damage]
Ability - Pressure [The Pokémon raises the foe's PP usage]
Ability (DW) - Unnerve [Makes the foe nervous and unable to eat Berries]
Ability (ME) - Tough Claws [Powers up moves that make direct contact]

Notable Moves:
Stone Edge
Wing Attack
Earthquake
Iron Head
Ice Fang
Fire Fang
Thunder Fang
Dragon Claw
Roost

Overview
Aerodactyl has undergone a very strange transformation this generation, mostly due to its shiny new Mega Evolution and its accompanying ability, Tough Claws. Unfortunately, this may not be much for the better. Game Freak did something quite trolly here: neither of its primary attacks that make up the coveted EdgeQuake combo are boosted by Tough Claws, making Life Orb Aerodactyl and Mega Evolved Aerodactyl roughly equivalent in terms of power output (in fact, Life Orb actually outdamages the Mega Evolution by a tiny amount). Even in its boosted coverage moves such as Wing Attack and the elemental Fangs, the amount by which Tough Claws and Mega Evolution outdamages Life Orb is almost insignificant.

Tough Claws vs. Life Orb
252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace (boosted by Tough Claws) vs. 72 HP / 4 Def Venusaur: 283-334 (88.71 - 104.7%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 72 HP / 4 Def Venusaur: 257-304 (80.56 - 95.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tough Claws and +30 base Attack outdamages Life Orb... barely.

non-Tough Claws vs. Life Orb
252 Atk Life Orb Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 173-204 (57.85 - 68.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 159-187 (53.17 - 62.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Life Orb outdamages the Mega Evolved form of Aerodactyl when using an attack not boosted by Tough Claws.

So then, what can the Mega Evolution of the prehistoric pteradon possibly offer over its traditional counterpart that could allow it thrive in this metagame? The answer lies in its insane 150 speed. While this seems like overkill, being able to outspeed and OHKO major threats like the Mega Evolutions of Gengar, Alakazam, and Mewtwo-Y (holy crap) gives it a interesting niche. This unfortunately means that Aerodactyl MUST Mega Evolve before they do; however, the prospect of doing so may give it a valuable niche on your team.

Mega Aerodactyl (Mega Counter)
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure (Tough Claws)
IVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Crunch
- Aerial Ace
- Crunch / Roost / filler (elemental Fang)

Probably the only set you'll see Mega Aerodactyl running, seeing how the only real advantage it has over Life Orb Aerodactyl is lack of recoil and speed (the defenses, while much improved, aren't catered to Mega Aerodactyl's tanking ability). With a Jolly nature, Crunch is a clean OHKO on Mega Alakazam, and has a very high chance of OHKOing Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo-Y unless they are HEAVILY invested. In fact, residual damage in the form of sand or Stealth Rock ensures that both of these threats are OHKOed; this puts the user at the unfortunate decision to either Mega Evolve Aerodactyl first, or get up Rocks and the heavily nerfed Sand at the risk of letting the opponent's Mega get up first. An Adamant nature actually helps immensely in the power department at the risk of being outsped by said threats. There is another solution, though...

Mega Aerodactyl (Hone Claws)
Ability: Pressure (Tough Claws)
IVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Crunch / Aerial Ace
- Earthquake / Crunch / Aerial Ace

Using an almost guaranteed boost to its defenses because of its blistering 130 speed, this trades Mega Aerodactyl's ability to switch in and out of battle freely as a Scarf-less revenge killer for the ability to smash things with a perfectly accurate +1 Stone Edge. Essentially, Hone Claws + Mega Evolve gives Aerodactyl boosts to all its relevant stats to the point that nothing would really want to switch in. Unfortunately, it's easily revenge killed by Bullet Punch (Lucario and Scizor say hi) even if set up.

Final Thoughts:
Aerodactyl, unfortunately, will struggle to stay afloat this generation, even with its Mega Evolution. 150 speed is fantastic, but sadly Tough Claws doesn't boost its strongest attacks and the boost in attack power doesn't do much for it even factoring in improved defenses and lack of recoil from Life Orb. It also competes for the Mega Evolution slot on teams, and is mostly outclassed by other Pokemon that received Mega Evolutions. Though it's still a young new game, things don't look too great for Aerodactyl, unless research reveals new toys with which it can play. But please discuss — I'm only one mind, and maybe I'm missing something that could put this Pokemon into contention as a strong OU Pokemon.
Sorry im new here and dont know how to post on this so thought i would reply lol ... I am currently training a aerodactyl for online and wanted to point out that giving aerodactyl steel wing with base power at 70. plus tough claws will hit hard to fairy types especially bully types like slyveon ... Excuse my spelling, also for the people who are saying that hes a suicidal type set .. Well with his AMAZING speed, surely if he whirlwinds he can get out of those sticky situations... So what im trying to say is EX still proves to be a big threat with the right move pool... Food for thought.

So, I like the idea of a Hone Claws set. Always wanted to use a Hone Claws Aerodactyl in BW, and with it's newfound Mega Evolution, I believe it has at least a hint of potential:

Unnerve
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Adamant

Hone Claws
Stone Edge
Earthquake/Fire Fang Aqua Tail
Aerial Ace

Unnerve is the suggested Ability, as Pressure won't be doing much if you plan on Aerodactyl staying in normal form for whatever reason, and can be a bane for Harvest Trevenant. Stone Edge is it's best STAB, with the low accuracy being compensated for after a boost, Aqua Tail hits Ground-types, as well as Steel-types neutrally, and Aerial Ace 2HKOs defensive Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur.

[EDIT]: Forgot that Aerodactyl had Aqua Tail.

Last edited:
Sorry im new here and dont know how to post on this so thought i would reply lol ... I am currently training a aerodactyl for online and wanted to point out that giving aerodactyl steel wing with base power at 70. plus tough claws will hit hard to fairy types especially bully types like slyveon ... Excuse my spelling, also for the people who are saying that hes a suicidal type set .. Well with his AMAZING speed, surely if he whirlwinds he can get out of those sticky situations... So what im trying to say is EX still proves to be a big threat with the right move pool... Food for thought.
Iron Head>Steel Wing.

Whirlwind has negative priority.

Steel is a horrible typing offensively unless you are Steel-type.

Has anyone considered iron head for the fairy types? I run it and its seems to be effective.
Steel has mediocre coverage other than for Fairies, and you can just hit them neutrally with Stone Edge. If you really want to decimate Fairies, then you could, but note that it isn't SE against Azumarill, M-Mawile, and Klefki.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There is little reason to use Iron Head / Steel Wing. Klefki / Mega Mawile are covered by Earthquake / Fire Fang and are neutral to Steel, Togekiss is OHKOed by Stone Edge, Azumarill is hit harder by your Rock STAB as it is neutral to Steel, Mamoswine, Tyranitar, and Terrakion are hit harder by Aqua Tail, leaving only max HP / max Def+ Sylveon and Clefable as Pokemon that Iron head can 2HKO and the other moves of Aerodactyl can't. Overall, this is the best moveset for Mega Aerodactyl:

EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang
- Aerial Ace

Max Speed to outrun base 130s, +1 Adamant Dragonite, and Speed tie with opposing Mega Aerodactyl, and Adamant because you need the extra power while the extra Speed is mostly irrelevant. Aqua Tail 2HKOes most Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Fire Fang covers Steel-types can can 2HKO SpD Skarmory but Ice Fang is nice to OHKO Pokemon such as Latias, Garchomp, and Landorus. Aerial Ace is needed to 2HKO physically defensive Mega Venusaur, Conkeldurr, and Tagnrowth, as well as OHKO Keldeo. Earthquake is not really needed as Steel and Rock-types are covered by either Aqua Tail or Fire Fang, but it can be used with Ice Fang if you really want it. Taunt can be used on the last slot to get past physical walls even if you don't have the necessary coverage moves, as Mega Aerodactyl resists or is immune to the attacking moves of many physical walls, such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Skarmory.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
There is little reason to use Iron Head / Steel Wing. Klefki / Mega Mawile are covered by Earthquake / Fire Fang and are neutral to Steel, Togekiss is OHKOed by Stone Edge, Azumarill is hit harder by your Rock STAB as it is neutral to Steel, Mamoswine, Tyranitar, and Terrakion are hit harder by Aqua Tail, leaving only max HP / max Def+ Sylveon and Clefable as Pokemon that Iron head can 2HKO and the other moves of Aerodactyl can't. Overall, this is the best moveset for Mega Aerodactyl:

EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang
- Aerial Ace

Max Speed to outrun base 130s, +1 Adamant Dragonite, and Speed tie with opposing Mega Aerodactyl, and Adamant because you need the extra power while the extra Speed is mostly irrelevant. Aqua Tail 2HKOes most Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Fire Fang covers Steel-types can can 2HKO SpD Skarmory but Ice Fang is nice to OHKO Pokemon such as Latias, Garchomp, and Landorus. Aerial Ace is needed to 2HKO physically defensive Mega Venusaur, Conkeldurr, and Tagnrowth, as well as OHKO Keldeo. Earthquake is not really needed as Steel and Rock-types are covered by either Aqua Tail or Fire Fang, but it can be used with Ice Fang if you really want it. Taunt can be used on the last slot to get past physical walls even if you don't have the necessary coverage moves, as Mega Aerodactyl resists or is immune to the attacking moves of many physical walls, such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Skarmory.
Is Aqua Tail really supposed to be there? The only threats there are Landorus, Gliscor, Hippowdon and.... yeah.

EQ should at least be slashed there, as it hits Garchomp/T-tar harder than Aqua tail does, plus is a better coverage move in general.

Just my 2chainz cents.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is Aqua Tail really supposed to be there? The only threats there are Landorus, Gliscor, Hippowdon and.... yeah.

EQ should at least be slashed there, as it hits Garchomp/T-tar harder than Aqua tail does, plus is a better coverage move in general.

Just my 2chainz cents.
Aqua Tail gets the Tough Claws boost, so it's stronger than Earthquake.

Ugggh, this thing is so trolly. Tough Claws and nothing to use it with, no good physical Flying STAB...

Adamant with Taunt or Roost seems like an okay lead, and can annoy some walls and threaten later on. Adamant Mega Aerodactyl still outspeeds 130s right? Or not?

Ugggh, this thing is so trolly. Tough Claws and nothing to use it with, no good physical Flying STAB...

Adamant with Taunt or Roost seems like an okay lead, and can annoy some walls and threaten later on. Adamant Mega Aerodactyl still outspeeds 130s right? Or not?
Sure does. Though I wouldn't be bright about using a Mega Evo for merely a lead.

I'm having an issue with 4MSS with Mega Aerodactyl. Here's what I'm running currently:

Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (even at an adamant nature, he outspeeds Timid Mega Gengar when you invest in max speed EVs)
Moves:
Rock Slide (STAB move + flinch chance)
Crunch (for Ghost/Psychics and possible defense drop)
Ice Fang (for Dragon/Flying/Ground/Grass types and flinch or freeze chance)
Iron Head (Fairy, Ice and Rock type Pokemon with flinch chance)

...but I miss having Earthquake to deal with Electric types, which seems to be Aerodactyl's biggest problem at the moment. I don't know which move to replace it with, since all of the moves he has right now can deal with so many threats, but he can be quickly revenge-killed by an electric type, and I'd like to deal with them personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)