Haxorus @ Brightpowder
EVs: ?
Nature: ?
Ability: ?
-Substitute
-Guillotine
-Dual Chop
-Earthquake

I lost my Mega Kanga to it after I missed twice with Return while it got a sub up, and then missed again with Weavile in an attempt to break the sub then KO. Replay code here i'm still loling. J49W-WWWW-WWW2-52CT

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol I can't believe this got me:

Leafeon @ ?
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def (?)
Impish (?) Nature
Ability: Leaf Guard/Chlorophyll
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Yawn
- Baton Pass

Self-explanatory how it works, it Yawned my Reuniclus and set up some Swords Dances. I wasn't able to really beat it, and it took a +1 Psyshock fairly easily earlier. Once it got to +4, it Baton Passed to an Azumarill and cleaned house. Not a very practical set in general, but it's able to put something out of the match with its bulk and the surprise factor from Yawn, and get a boost to a partner with ease.

Also, I've seen another Dual Screens Light Clay Raikou today from a Japanese player, though I didn't save the match. This time though it was used to help a Minimize Clefable set up. :\

Definitely convinced Dual Screens Raikou must be a thing...somewhere.

I ran into a guy with this Swoobat:

Swoobat @ Leftovers

Nature: Probably something like Modest or Timid, but it could even have been something like Calm or Bold.
Ability: Simple
- Double Team
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

He pretty much set up a sub as I switched out from my Krookodile (He was locked into earthquake) and then kept spamming double team until he had max evasion, and then calm mind until he had plenty of Special Attack and Special Defense, and of course I missed ice beam with my Empoleon every single time that he boosted too. After getting max in evasion while behind a sub, he used Stored Power and OHKOd my Empoleon, and then when I sent out my Fearow (Don't ask why i'm using a Fearow, just go with it.) finished boosting to get max Special Attack and Special Defense while I was asleep, then fainted my Fearow, but then, when I sent out my Krook, he couldn't do anything to it because he only had Stored Power as an attacking move. (lol) So I just kept spamming Crunch until I got lucky enough to hit twice in a row and faint it. I would say that it's a dumb set, but it almost beat me, so i'm not going to. It was infuriatingly obnoxious though, man I hate when people use evasion as a tactic.

Here's the battle video code: 3FKW-WWWW-WWW4-N77G
Also this person made a stupid mistake in being very greedy with their Scrafty, which ended up leading to its own demise.

Last edited:
I ran into a Garchomp with Sandstorm. Does that count as weird?

The Japanese players I tend to encounter use fairly standard sets, unlike all the creative stuff I remember in Pokemon Battle Revolution.

EDIT: I think Roar/Whirlwind have perfect accuracy now, right? We should learn to deal with evasion, not just complain about it.

EDIT 2: I finally have a strange moveset proper.

Greninja, Protean, Red Card

Power Up Punch
Toxic
?
?

Last edited:
EDIT: I think Roar/Whirlwind have perfect accuracy now, right? We should learn to deal with evasion, not just complain about it.
I don't think it would be worth sacrificing a moveslot for Roar or Whirlwind, considering I've only ran into this tactic twice before, and only one of said times was it even on a rated battle. (The Swoobat set) Not to mention the fact that both times it was their last Pokemon that wasn't fainted, so Roar/Whirlwind wouldn't have done anything. Also even if it wasn't their last Pokemon they could still bring it in later and set up with just as much ease. The only real way to deal with evasion (Not including getting lucky) would be to run something like Aerial Ace or Shock Wave, and both of those moves are extremely situational, and horrible in every other aspect. So there's no real way to deal with evasion without sacrificing a moveslot for something that either won't help much or something very situational, or getting lucky, which is why I complain about it and why I hate it.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I ran into a Garchomp with Sandstorm. Does that count as weird?

The Japanese players I tend to encounter use fairly standard sets, unlike all the creative stuff I remember in Pokemon Battle Revolution.

EDIT 2: I finally have a strange moveset proper.

Greninja, Protean, Red Card

Power Up Punch
Toxic
?
?
Do you have a bit more info on the Greninja set? How was it used? What did it do? What Pokemon did you have against it?

An extremely Stallish Shuckle:
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold or Calm
Ability: Contrary
- Shell Smash
- Rest
- Power Split
- Infestation

I fought against a Japanese 1400's. It took a really long time to destroy his defenses (good thing my Aegislash carries Sacred Sword!) and play around with Power Swap. What this guy did was that after I KOed his Fufrou and switched into Chestnaught (I thought I can wall him), he proceeded to Shell Smash. I leech seeded the Shuckle, but it then used infestation. I couldn't do much damage against it, and I have to bear how long Infestation ends. When it ended, I switched into Aegislash and finally Koed it. Maybe it's meant for time stall as a last resort?

An unexpected, but clever, Gliscor set. Ends stall with grace and poise. Faced this yesterday and he just OHKOes my Weaknite on the second guillotine attempt.

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Poison Heal
Impish Nature (assumed)
252hp 252 def (assumed)

~protect
~earthquake
~guillotine
~(?) must be toxic

And now, a good and functional, but still weird, set.

Uxie @ rocky helmet
bold nature (?)

~stealth rock
~memento
~yawn
~(?)

This thing set up SR while memento'ing my scizor and bringing in Mega Lucario after memento. I lost miserably with no way of recovering, because my 2 last pokémon were sr weak.

Last edited:
Do you have a bit more info on the Greninja set? How was it used? What did it do? What Pokemon did you have against it?
I'm not completely sure what the set was, as I defeated the Greninja first (but I lost the match).

I didn't have a really good special wall, so I always have to play around Greninja. I had out Rocky Helmet Furfrou (my Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Mawile counter), Reuniclus, and I think Moody Octillery. I heard Moody was broken, so I tried using it after being sick of seeing the same few Pokemon on the ladder. DON'T USE MOODY, KIDDIES! IT'S USELESS! WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU ON SMOGON IS THAT IT WILL BACKFIRE FAR MORE OFTEN.

The idea was to use Power Up Punch to uh. . .power up? Toxic was both to poison walls and to block enemy Toxics (which is really all Furfrou can do). It fainted, but it did its job.

As for that Gliscor mentioned earlier, I sometimes see Sheer Cold on stuff like Suicune. The idea is to keep rolling the dice with a bulky Pokemon until it works.

teros

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
i came across a pretty crazy trevenant set today
trevenant
evs: id say 252/hp/252 att/4 def/0spe
ability frisk
trick room
wood hammer
destiny bond
last move unknown

It was used in a trick room team in conjunction with megaagroon as well as immunity snorlax which seems to be very popular amongst the japs team was the nuts though ive been using basically my interpretation of the trevenant now with the addition of shadow claw to great results thought it was pretty interesting

i assume the item used was a focus sash since it was used to lead

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

An unexpected, but clever, Gliscor set. Ends stall with grace and poise. Faced this yesterday and he just OHKOes my Weaknite on the second guillotine attempt.

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Poison Heal
Impish Nature (assumed)
252hp 252 def (assumed)

~protect
~earthquake
~guillotine
~(?) must be toxic
You know I think I faced a similar Gliscor to this one earlier today...The guy didn't manage to use Guillotine, but I could only assume that's what he was attempting to go for. He used Double Team and Substitute, and I think Earthquake one time. Can't stand the obsession going on out there with this purple scorpion, but I did save the video: AXCW-WWWW-WWW4-QFST

Edit: In order to avoid double posting I guess I'll also post this weird set that just barely pulled a game out of my hands:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
- Crunch
- Toxic
- Roar
- Protect

Basically this guy just poisoned things on my team and let the damage rack up between sand and Toxic damage. I actually almost got past it and won, but it surprised me with a Roar that brought in my Crawdaunt who subsequently died to sand + poison damage (since it got poisoned beforehand and stalled down to a narrow shred of HP) He also ran Protect on his Mega Lucario, which is somewhat understandable yet at the same time could go in conjunction with stalling crap out after being Toxic shuffled around a bit

Video: BSQG-WWWW-WWW4-QFSP

Last edited:
This threw me off guard:

Azumarrill @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVS: 252 HP / ?

- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- ??

Yes....Sap Sipper.

This was part of a perish trapping team I faced on Free Battle. Teammates were Perish Trapping/Hex/Will-O-Wisp Gengar, and a standard Breloom. I switched in my Tangrowth on Azu, went for a Sleep Powder and stared at my 3DS dumbfounded when I saw SAP SIPPER as it's ability.

sap sipper'd hahaha, this is hilarious. Unexpected, weak, sure. But can turn the tide of the battle.

This is a personal weird set of mine, works well against protecters and set-uppers

Persian
@ Focus Sash
Technician
31/31/31/xx/31/31
252 atk/252 speed/4hp

~taunt
~foul play (I wanted knock off D: but I'll have to wait until pokébank (D:)
~feint
~flail

Flail has caught so many opponents unaware it's not even funny. This sets shits over Driftblim and other setuppers like Smeargle. For those wanting to net a free kill, flail.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

This threw me off guard:

Azumarrill @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVS: 252 HP / ?

- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- ??

Yes....Sap Sipper.

This was part of a perish trapping team I faced on Free Battle. Teammates were Perish Trapping/Hex/Will-O-Wisp Gengar, and a standard Breloom. I switched in my Tangrowth on Azu, went for a Sleep Powder and stared at my 3DS dumbfounded when I saw SAP SIPPER as it's ability.
Lol. I def know that set, I've seen a YouTuber who ran that, and I know some guys who messed with it in Gen 5 UU. Most likely for sure his 4th moveslot has Whirlpool to trap surprised foes expecting to tank a hit/use a Grass move

I don't know if this counts as weird so much as cheating, but someone used a Normal Gem on a Porygon-Z against me in a double battle today. Has the Normal Gem been released (just not the other ones), or did someone manage to sneak it past PokeCustoms?

Battle Code BPGG-WWWW-WWW4-NCJF

CoolStoryBrobat

I don't know if this counts as weird so much as cheating, but someone used a Normal Gem on a Porygon-Z against me in a double battle today. Has the Normal Gem been released (just not the other ones), or did someone manage to sneak it past PokeCustoms?

Battle Code BPGG-WWWW-WWW4-NCJF
Normal Gem's actually in the game. There's 2 actually, and one of them's toward the bottom of Terminus Cave...I think someone gives you the other, but I don't remember. Anyway basically Normal Gem's the only legal gem you can use in Gen VI

Edit: There's also no Porygon-Z of any kind in the video you posted...not only that but it's a single battle. Nice Furfrou set there, though. You want me to put that in the OP?

Last edited:
Normal Gem's actually in the game. There's 2 actually, and one of them's toward the bottom of Terminus Cave...I think someone gives you the other, but I don't remember. Anyway basically Normal Gem's the only legal gem you can use in Gen VI

Okay, that makes sense. It's still a weird match if you watch the video. So much hax. . .

Ah you ninja'd me as I edited my post. I was actually watching the video, lol

What happened there? I checked the video on my 3DS. The Furfrou one should have a different code. You can add the Furfrou one if you want. My name is "Herman" ingame.

EDIT: I saw an interesting set on Free Doubles (Global Link was down at the time): Surfing Gogoat combined with Dry Skin Heliolisk. I was playing as a rain team, so it didn't get to do as much as usual I suspect. However, that team also had Mega Charizard Y. I have the strange feeling that the team was meant to be "anti-Rain" rather than a weather team in itself. . .

MORE EDITS: Okay, the Surfing Gogoat is 7A8W-WWWW-WWW5-WLA8.

In Doubles, I had an interesting fight against a Telepathy Helping Hand Musharna combined with an exploding Normal Gem Lickilicky. That felt like a 4th gen Double Battle. Fortunately, brute strength triumphed over brains. :)

The code for that one is: N9DG-WWWW-WWW5-WLAE

Last edited:

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Poison Heal
Impish Nature (assumed)
252hp 252 def (assumed)

~protect
~earthquake
~guillotine
~(?) must be toxic
I got timer-stalled by a similar set today. They favored Substitute over Toxic or EQ though, and outsped my Jolly max-invested Kangaskhan before mega-evolving (so I can assume that they were running Jolly themselves instead of a defensive nature). Can't say I was expecting such a trollsy set after seeing the rest of their team, though the battle itself has reminded me why I need to start breeding Froakies.

KHGG-WWWW-WWW5-XKBA is the code, if anyone wants to watch it. Admittedly I made some of my own mistakes (such as not predicting him to switch into Gliscor while I had Rotom-W out), but that Guillotine eventually hitting and the timer stalling annoyed me. Oh well, better luck next time.

This dude was a nightmare to play against, and I had lost my special attacker a little too early in the match. Thankfully my Ferrothorn stalled him out of resources.

Avalugg @ Weakness Policy
Ability: unknown (Sturdy? Own tempo?)
252 Hp / 252 def? / sdef? it might have some spdef on it because of curse.
Nature: ? could be careful or impish

~curse
~avalanche
~earthquake
~recover

Simple and necessary.

I've seen that somewhat interesting set on BS - Single Battles.

Hawlucha @ Focus Sash | Unburden
Nature : dunno (Adamant/Jolly?) EVs : ???/??? (252 Attack/252 Speed?)
~Hi Jump Kick
~Acrobatics
~Swords Dance
~not used (Poison Jab/Rock Slide I'd guess)

After some Sturdy/Explosion shenanigans from some Rock 'mon OHKOing my first team member, I was using my Galvantula for the first time in a while and OHKOing the opposite Pokémon with Thunder, then the Poké-Wrestler came along.
I tought it would be easy winning ; fat chance.

The Hawlucha hung on using its Focus Sash, doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden activating and used Sword Dance, then OHKOed Galv with Acrobatics, then destroyed with HJK the 252 HP / 252 Def Aggron (!) I was carrying to test a Curse set.

That little wrestler can be scary sometimes, tho you could blame me for forgetting to pack priority on the team I used.

Last edited:
Dusclops
- Will o wisp
- Infestation
- Shadow Punch
- Pain Split

Furfrou @ Rocky Helmet
- Cotton Guard
- Swagger

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)