Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

You need a pair of scout parents. This was stated in the OP where he used a Scraggy. I for example, use Pachirisu it has one of the lowest bas egg hatching rates and has 3 ability slots to scout for abilities. Get a pair of those and/or Magikarps from the Friend Safari/Route 3. Now you've got your Magikarps (using for demonstration purposes but can be Pachirisu) you can put a Destiny Knot on one and Everstone on the other (make sure the parents both have a neutral nature i.e Docile, Quirk etc.) Go to the Battle Test in Lumiose City and put in a Magikarp with two other random Pokémon with the Magikarp not leading. This way you can go the Magikarps Summary and check it's stats. Record all the stats from each parent. Since you've recorded the stats you can now place your Magikarps in the daycare. Run around and reject the first egg. Save right after you do so. Generate a new egg with the same parents, hatch it, and check the offspring in the Battle Test. The stat that is not the same as the Male or Female is the one that is being randomly generated. If you get attack randomly generated and you're going for an special attack spread throw in some new parents that you want to produce a 5 IV offspring from (making sure that they've got the perfect IV's in which the offspring corresponded to on both the male and female.) The result should be a perfect 5 IV with your specified nature. Other things to note are that the gender and ability is LOCKED in as well as the IV spread when you reject the first Magikarp egg. If however, the new parents you put in for the Magikarps are a different gender ratio than 50-50 the gender is now rerolled and random. A video explaining what I just said can be found here. Since you're going for shinies, if the offspring of the Magikarps is shiny you MUST put in a new pair of parents where one is an alternate country to keep the Masuda odds. If you don't do that the new offspring will NOT be shiny. If you don't like the IV spread or the offspring is not shiny (with your odds it's 1/1024) just soft reset and it will bring you back to where you saved after you rejected the egg. Once you do this just generate another egg, reject it and save again. Again, not the best explanation so you might wanna check the video out.
Thanks for the clear explanation! I did watch some videos before and still had some quesitons but your post definitely answersed them. ^^

You need a pair of scout parents. This was stated in the OP where he used a Scraggy. I for example, use Pachirisu it has one of the lowest bas egg hatching rates and has 3 ability slots to scout for abilities. Get a pair of those and/or Magikarps from the Friend Safari/Route 3. Now you've got your Magikarps (using for demonstration purposes but can be Pachirisu) you can put a Destiny Knot on one and Everstone on the other (make sure the parents both have a neutral nature i.e Docile, Quirk etc.) Go to the Battle Test in Lumiose City and put in a Magikarp with two other random Pokémon with the Magikarp not leading. This way you can go the Magikarps Summary and check it's stats. Record all the stats from each parent. Since you've recorded the stats you can now place your Magikarps in the daycare. Run around and reject the first egg. Save right after you do so. Generate a new egg with the same parents, hatch it, and check the offspring in the Battle Test. The stat that is not the same as the Male or Female is the one that is being randomly generated. If you get attack randomly generated and you're going for an special attack spread throw in some new parents that you want to produce a 5 IV offspring from (making sure that they've got the perfect IV's in which the offspring corresponded to on both the male and female.) The result should be a perfect 5 IV with your specified nature. Other things to note are that the gender and ability is LOCKED in as well as the IV spread when you reject the first Magikarp egg. If however, the new parents you put in for the Magikarps are a different gender ratio than 50-50 the gender is now rerolled and random. A video explaining what I just said can be found here. Since you're going for shinies, if the offspring of the Magikarps is shiny you MUST put in a new pair of parents where one is an alternate country to keep the Masuda odds. If you don't do that the new offspring will NOT be shiny. If you don't like the IV spread or the offspring is not shiny (with your odds it's 1/1024) just soft reset and it will bring you back to where you saved after you rejected the egg. Once you do this just generate another egg, reject it and save again. Again, not the best explanation so you might wanna check the video out.
CMIIW, but the scout parents must also come from different country (Masuda method), right?

If I read it right, I can use a Male JP Magikarp (Destiny Knot) with 31/31/31/31/31/31 and a Female US Magikarp (Everstone) with 31/31/31/31/31/31. Reject egg, save and repeat process til Magikarp hatches Shiny. Replace both Magikarp with Ditto (JP with all IVs Max) holding the Destiny Knot and Gastly Female with the same IV Spread as Ditto holding the Everstone. Hatch it and it will be shiny?

I had some amazing luck today. I was casually trying to get a good spread while I randomly hatched a Masuda Shiny Seedot. Carefully determining its IV inheritance and raiding my boxes for the best possible Masuda parents, I ended up with a beautiful 31/x/31/10-13/16-18/31 Shiny Modest Larvesta. I was not prepared at all for a Shiny scenario but in the end I got a pretty good Shiny. Even though Volcarona really wants to have a good SpA and SpD, it's not totally crap and I might just train it competitively. I'm so happy for my first random Shiny since DP and extremely thankful for all you Smogon guys for researching this topic.

Does it only work on the next egg after rejecting the first egg? Or can I get 5 eggs→hatch them→save→5eggs and keep looping? I am a bit confused on how it is done. ~"~
You cannot do 5 eggs in a row, because each egg hatched creates its own RNG and that is not set in stone. We can control one egg since we are saving right as the numbers are rolled, but subsequent eggs may not necessarily roll the same so, no... I do not believe it's possible to use this method with more than one egg at a time.

I read the entire thread and something is buggin' me. If the non-masuda shinyness isn't fixed, would it be possible to reset the same egg in a non masuda spread 'til comes a shiny?

I've got a question regarding this method (apologies if this has been covered, but 27 pages of posts is a lot to read through)

I'm breeding Chimchar and I'm trying to get a female. I've got my parents and the IV spread I need is locked in. I've reset and hatched a bunch of males, but so far no females have appeared. Is the gender of the offspring locked in along with the IV spread, or have I just been incredibly unlucky so far?

I've got a question regarding this method (apologies if this has been covered, but 27 pages of posts is a lot to read through)

I'm breeding Chimchar and I'm trying to get a female. I've got my parents and the IV spread I need is locked in. I've reset and hatched a bunch of males, but so far no females have appeared. Is the gender of the offspring locked in along with the IV spread, or have I just been incredibly unlucky so far?
Sex and nature are locked if you take the same rng´d seed every time.

Furthermore I´m testing with the influence of items on inheritance and will do more tests this weekend.
so far:
You can change the items between male and female parent without affecting the egg rng.
The Everstone has no effect on the generated 5 IV and does not affect the random IV but only the target nature.
Power Items change the egg rng completely but in a certain pattern that I will research now.
Switching the Power Item and the Destiny Knot between male and female parent only influences the "power" stat, all other stats stay the same.
The pattern stays the same if you take other parents and equip them with the same Power Item and Destiny Knot respectively.

By the way, it was already mentioned: You do not need to reject the first egg, this makes the procedure unnecessarily long.
Save before dropping the parents and get the first egg. Reload the game and you get the same egg rng as before.

As of now, I only found the egg rng to be influenced by getting or rejecting an egg. So egg rng seeds seem to be completely different of every other game action... Did someone else make that experience as well?

If I read it right, I can use a Male JP Magikarp (Destiny Knot) with 31/31/31/31/31/31 and a Female US Magikarp (Everstone) with 31/31/31/31/31/31. Reject egg, save and repeat process til Magikarp hatches Shiny. Replace both Magikarp with Ditto (JP with all IVs Max) holding the Destiny Knot and Gastly Female with the same IV Spread as Ditto holding the Everstone. Hatch it and it will be shiny?
You are making one big mistake here:
If both of your scouting 'Karps have 6 IV, you will never able to determine what the IV spread will be. You should use parents with non-overlapping stats like:
ideally: 31/31/31/0/0/0 and 0/0/0/31/31/31

You are making one big mistake here:
If both of your scouting 'Karps have 6 IV, you will never able to determine what the IV spread will be. You should use parents with non-overlapping stats like:
ideally: 31/31/31/0/0/0 and 0/0/0/31/31/31
Which IVs are inherited from which parent for him do not matter as he has 6IV parents for both and only needs shinyness. Therefore, overlapping stats are better in his scenario because that halves the chance of the random stat being equal to that stat for the parents.

Tried out the time machine method with an ENG Magikarp and a GER Ditto (both 6 IV), noticed a few things.

The inheritance of IVs is identical for mono-gendered and genderless. The inheritance of IVs for gendered pokemon is the same regardless of gender ratio.

Changing the female or non-Ditto parent into a species with a different gender ratio will affect the gender of the offspring. Swapping Magikarp (50/50) for Abra (75/25) resulted in an offspring that went from being formerly female (Magikarp) into being male (Abra).

Swapping holds between parents doesn't seem to affect inheritance of IVs or shininess.

The ability slot inherited is the same regardless of species, unless you switch between gendered and mono-gendered/genderless.

Can someone please repost the best scout parents. for the life of me can't find the post
First, in order to generate eggs as fast as possible, you should make sure the parents are of the same species and have different IDs. A different nationality is optional and helpful for Masuda'ing, but note that you only can replicate the shiny when you eventually breed with another foreign partner.
You can cut down the time for scouting when both of the parents are perfect, so that you can spot the random IV immediately - unless all of them turn out 31, in which case you have hit gold. Even better, but more difficult is to use a perfect parent partnered with a perfect 0/0 counterpart in order to determine the inheritance right away; rightfully so because obtaining perfect IVs is much easier within the safari than praying for a 0 stat. We may consider putting some ultimate-suck-Pokemon onto Pokecheck once Pokebank becomes available.
A Hidden Ability is also helpful.

Next we need to select species with a low egg step count. The clear winner is the Magikarp with a stepcount of 1280 and a gender ratio of 50/50. Another one to consider is Togepi with 2651, who is convenient if you aim for female starters and friends with 87,5/12,5.
There are the 75/25 and the 25/75 groups left but neither of them are very crowded and it is not worth to prepare scouts specifically for them. Just spam Magikarps.

Answering your question directly:

31/31/31/31/31/31 Rattled Female Magikarp
00/00/00/00/00/00 Male Magikarp

IVs can be the other way around. And in the case all your stats turn out either 0 or 31, keep a pair of imperfect Magikarps for confirmation.

Last edited:
First, in order to generate eggs as fast as possible, you should make sure the parents are of the same species and have different IDs. A different nationality is optional and helpful for Masuda'ing, but note that you only can replicate the shiny when you eventually breed with another foreign partner.
You can cut down the time for scouting when both of the parents are perfect, so that you can spot the random IV immediately - unless all of them turn out 31, in which case you have hit gold. Even better, but more difficult is to use a perfect parent partnered with a perfect 0/0 counterpart in order to determine the inheritance right away; rightfully so because obtaining perfect IVs is much easier within the safari than praying for a 0 stat. We may consider putting some ultimate-suck-Pokemon onto Pokecheck once Pokebank becomes available.
A Hidden Ability is also helpful.

Next we need to select species with a low egg step count. The clear winner is the Magikarp with a stepcount of 1280 and a gender ratio of 50/50. Another one to consider is Togepi with 2651, who is convenient if you aim for female starters and friends with 87,5/12,5.
There are the 75/25 and the 25/75 groups left but neither of them are very crowded and it is not worth to prepare scouts specifically for them. Just spam Magikarps.

Answering your question directly:

31/31/31/31/31/31 Rattled Female Magikarp
00/00/00/00/00/00 Male Magikarp

IVs can be the other way around. And in the case all your stats turn out either 0 or 31, keep a pair of imperfect Magikarps for confirmation.
Thank you that was very in-depth but what i meant was there was a list of best parents for each group for HA scouting. Although i do lean on the magikarps i think scouts for every gender would be much more useful especially HP breeding

I have already experimented with the power items, my results are in one of my earlier posts.

TL;DR version:
random stat: causes one other stat to become random, rest stay the same
4 of the inherited stats: now inherited from locked in parent, rest stay the same
Last stat: causes one other stat to change to a new inheritance in addition to being locked in to the expected stat. Occurs even if the parent with the power item would've passed on that stat anyway.
I have a question. I'm currently testing power items. Is "random stat" the non-inherited stat? Aren't there 5 stats that are inherited? How do I know which is the "last stat"?

Thank you that was very in-depth but what i meant was there was a list of best parents for each group for HA scouting. Although i do lean on the magikarps i think scouts for every gender would be much more useful especially HP breeding
Stick to Togepi if you need to find females in the 87,5/12,5 groups. The other groups simply aren't worth it either because they lack fast hatching Pokemon.

75/25: Growlithe, Machop and Abra all need 5120 steps
25/75: Azurill, Igglybuff and Clefa with 2560 steps

Dedicated scouts aren't necessary when you aim for the rare gender. Just use any available parent and reset/discard the egg immediately should they not have it. When you finally got the right gender, reset/switch to your fast scouts in order to determine the IV inheritance.
Expect for the 72/25 group; the egg step count is so high you are better off with the Magikarps and abit trial-and-error.

I have a question. I'm currently testing power items. Is "random stat" the non-inherited stat? Aren't there 5 stats that are inherited? How do I know which is the "last stat"?
The Pokemon has six stats and five of them are from the parents when one of them holds a Destiny Knot. The remaining stat is random, non-inherited, or however you prefer to call them.

To determine the random stat you need to know the IVs of the parents. For example:

11/12/13/14/15/16 Female
21/22/23/24/25/26 Male

And the offspring turns out like this:

11/30/13/14/25/26

then it is apparent that the Atk stat is from neither of the parents.

Reviewing the egg in the Battle Institue is unfortunately more time-consuming than just asking the IV checker in Kiloude City, so most people pair up (semi-)perfect Pokemon. That will make him mark every stat as perfect but the random one - unless it also turns out to be 31, in which case you need to follow up with two imperfect ones.

87.5/12.5 and 75/25 (and 25/75) are in the same group as 50/50. The only difference is in the gender of the resulting pokemon, and is not guaranteed. As such, you can test the IV spread and ability inheritance with the magikarps. If you want a specific gender, you can either acquire suitable test parents of the correct ratio, or just use the magikarps and when you get the right inheritance and gender try with your target; if it comes out the wrong gender try again (I believe that can only happen when you're going for the rarer gender).

Magikarps do have a flaw as test parents in that they have an ability share ability slots 1 and 2, though. You will also need a separate set of test parents for monogendered pokemon as well.

87.5/12.5 and 75/25 (and 25/75) are in the same group as 50/50. The only difference is in the gender of the resulting pokemon, and is not guaranteed.
We think you are slightly missing the point. If you are trying to breed for starters and need females, you will not (should not) scout with Magikarps because they are not guaranteed to display the correct gender for a 87.5/12.5 ratio. If you cannot determine the gender perfectly it means you need to double check every female Magikarp and you will still be wrong more than half of the time. Talking out of experience it is much faster to scout with Togepis for the gender, toss all the males until you get a female, then verify the inheritance via your normal scout parents.

Magikarps do have a flaw as test parents in that they have an ability share ability slots 1 and 2, though. You will also need a separate set of test parents for monogendered pokemon as well.
In this case however, we would give the random factor a go. Firstly, the ability will be correct 80% of the times anyway. Secondly, the next fastest hatching Pokemon need the double amount of egg steps. And thirdly, if we are really desperate (flawless shiny, for example): In dire situations, use the Ability Capsule, problem solved.

We think you are slightly missing the point. If you are trying to breed for starters and need females, you will not (should not) scout with Magikarps because they are not guaranteed to display the correct gender for a 87.5/12.5 ratio. If you cannot determine the gender perfectly it means you need to double check every female Magikarp and you will still be wrong more than half of the time. Talking out of experience it is much faster to scout with Togepis for the gender, toss all the males until you get a female, then verify the inheritance via your normal scout parents.

In this case however, we would give the random factor a go. Firstly, the ability will be correct 80% of the times anyway. Secondly, the next fastest hatching Pokemon need the double amount of egg steps. And thirdly, if we are really desperate (flawless shiny, for example): In dire situations, use the Ability Capsule, problem solved.
ok i see no what you saying you can use female ha togetic till you get a female ha togepi reset than ujse scout parents for inheritance than substitutes scouts for actual parents.
Outside of magikarp whole process seems long. If you could easily catch 31/31/31/31/31/31 and 0/0/0/0/0/0 desired parents would be simple but even in case of 31/31/31/x/x/x and x/x/x31/31/31 parents you still have to do guess work of which is inherited as opposed to random stat so the battle test place still better than iv checker although more time consuming

Sup, new here, my question is: is the amount of IVs passed down always three on (sex) and 2 on (sex) , or can it be 4 and 1, or maybe even 5 and 0

Sup, new here, my question is: is the amount of IVs passed down always three on (sex) and 2 on (sex) , or can it be 4 and 1, or maybe even 5 and 0
The amount is fixed to 5 but the actual spread of which ivs is random so you can get any one of those each time but once you know what the spread is it will always that combination until you reset the egg

I just bred a 31/30/30/31/31/31 HP Ice Timid Helioptile w/Dry Skin using this method. I plan on breeding an HP Fire Timid Protean Froakie and an HP Grass Timid Litleo. How do I make sure I get Protean as the ability for Froakie? I'm currently using two magikarps as scouts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)