3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been using a really cool set I stole from some Japanese player to some pretty amazing success lately. The best part about it is that it's a Klefki set, so people tend to prepare for the worst and don't really expect what is actually to come. The set I'm using is:

Klefki @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
252 HP / 60 Def / 164 SpD / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Safeguard

This is actually also a decent answer to Pokemon with sleep moves, which some people were complaining about a few posts ago. But basically the premise was to utilize the fast-paced style of 3v3 singles in order to overwhelm the opponent with power setup sweepers behind Klefki's incredibly convenient screens. The best part about this is that you lose no momentum because of Eject Button, so you don't have to waste a turn of screens or have a sweeper take any damage by switching out. Instead, you just set up whatever you need to and go ham. I've been using this with Belly Drum Azumarill, Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X, and Swords Dance Bisharp to handle obnoxious Unaware Clefable, as well as a couple of Pokemon to cover some random top threats such as Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan. Overall, it has been really successful for me, and there's not much more fun in Pokemon than cleanly sweeping an entire opposing team with something like Azumarill. :)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I maxed out at 1700 and am now stuck in the mid-1500s, are we allowed to post "rate my team" kinda posts in this subforum cause I could use some 3v3 advice? I do seem to have inordinately bad luck on the wifi battle spot. 3v3 on pokemon showdown; I win most of the time, with the same pokemon and spreads i have in the game, but those damn japs on wifi always surprise me.

Also want to ask, what besides Aegislash and Dragonite go well with weakness policy?
Don't feel bad dude. My luck on Battle Spot has been garbage too, and I'm kinda struggling to find an arrangement of 'mons for myself to work into a solid team. As far your second question, you could be that dude and try out Sturdy Rock Polish Golem/Aggron with Weakness Policy, there's gotta be some merit in there. I would honestly breed a Geodude for this purpose but I feel Sucker Punch would be a HUGE benefit to Golem...The only issue is that it's an HG/SS tutor :\ However I guess if you don't mind lacking the priority on Golem you could still use it, or try Aggron out.

Having watched some of the Battle Spot Singles battles made public on the Global Link (Some people have their battle history public, including their video codes), there are some pretty interesting things to see at the higher end of the ladder. It might be worth your while to just browse the top players and have a look at what they're running.

Last edited:
Having watched some of the Battle Spot Singles battles made public on the Global Link (Some people have their battle history public, including their video codes), there are some pretty interesting things to see at the higher end of the ladder. It might be worth your while to just browse the top players and have a look at what they're running.
I have not had any luck finding one profile that was public and listed a Battle Spot Singles video code for any battle. Only a couple people had a profile that I could view and the video code section was all blank. Any tips for finding these battles? Thank you for your help.

I have not had any luck finding one profile that was public and listed a Battle Spot Singles video code for any battle. Only a couple people had a profile that I could view and the video code section was all blank. Any tips for finding these battles? Thank you for your help.
There's no real easy way to go about it, just check the singles ranking lists and go through their rated battle histories until you see one with video codes. Just starting from the top 10 worldwide however, we have the following Japanese players:

(Rankings and Singles Elo scores as of the last update)
4th: shain (2201)
7th: okayu 2 (2174)
8th: tekku (2174)

And the one Guilan's probably thinking of:
12th: ka・e ru★ (2165)

Also, Stayna, the current no. 1 for the US also has his/her battle history public with video codes.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been lurking on the videos of this Japanese dude named Tamu (2054 pts., No. 186) and I think I managed to pretty much jot down his entire team after watching a ton of his videos. From what I've seen though he seems to only use 5 Pokemon...He probably brings a 6th member who just never gets to see any battle, maybe to throw off the opponent. Either way there's some interesting stuff within, if you lurk hard enough. (Never would have expected a Scarf Excadrill with Horn Drill anytime)

One of my favourite things was watching Scarf Superpower Breloom. No one seems to expect it, especially Kangaskhans. (They generally expect to outspeed and 2hKO through sash)
Also notable is this guy who used a Mega Gardevoir with... Shadow Sneak. All Focus Sashers must die, eh?

Mega Gardevoir with shadow sneak. I believe he runs timid/modest even with it. He also invested in some hP and defense because the gardevoir survived some hits that might have killed it otherwise.

Yeah, I saw it tank a Garchomp's Earthquake, and 2hKO it with a combination of Hyper Voice and Shadow Sneak to kill the last sash HP.

Some time ago, I've run into a dual Intimidate Volt-Turn core starring Landorus-T and Mega Manectric, which I found incredibly hard to get past. I did not. It seems very effective in a 3v3 metagame, as even bringing two physical attackers becomes a huge liability, and the core hits from both sides too. I haven't seen many Incarnates, and the only Sheer Force Landorus I saw on Battle Spot was a shiny one (At least, I saw it use Psychic...). But overall it seems people generally prefer to use Landorus-T in 3v3. I suppose the pivot role is a lot more valuable in 3v3? Hmm, well I don't have Dream Radar, so no Sheer Force Landorus for me anyways. I don't remember seeing it set up Stealth Rock, generally it's just played offensively. I've seen a few Explosions and even the odd Scarf Outrage (Who needs Hidden Power Ice anyway? Cough).

Of the other Genies, I've run into plenty of Thundurus Incarnate of course, it's definitely a popular mon for obvious reasons. Tornadus has been freakishly rare, but I ran into a Tornadus-T who just flinch-haxed its way to victory. (Darn you and your Air Slash!)

Finally, to address the elephant in the room, Pokebank is finally fully available outside of Japan in both PAL and US regions. Maybe now Japan and that one odd Korean won't hog the top 50% of the ladder.

(Nope, couldn't keep a straight face)

Why don't the pokemon I transfered from bw2 have the blue pentagon? I thought that was the 'hack checker'? All my legendaries are crap anyway :(

Why don't the pokemon I transfered from bw2 have the blue pentagon? I thought that was the 'hack checker'? All my legendaries are crap anyway :(
The blue pentagon only indicates whether a Pokemon was caught in the Kalos region or not. Kalos caught Pokemon have the pentagon and transferred Pokes will never have it.

Unless they are hacked.
And I've seen quite a few of them.
To be more accurate, you can just alter a few lines of codes in something like Pokesav and the Kalos watermark will show up when it's transferred. There's another failsafe to this however: The memory girl in Anistar City can tell if your Pokemon was previously from Kalos or not.

Of course, this probably only matters from a trading point of view.

So if hacks are getting through, can't the player be reported or something? Nintendo was supposed to have their system in place to prevent this, they should stick with it and update it.

That is, stonerchris , we're speaking of Nintendo. Their anti-hacking systems and measures are feeble enough. They shouldn't have released the Poké-Transporter.

Now that they released it, just accept it. I don't see Nintendo launching a new patch to prevent the hacked pokémon from being transported over to X and Y systems.

Have you guys tried a rain team? I have been using Politoed, Mega-Manetric (to get the boost when someone is trying to use an electric attack), and either a Starmie for coverage or Kingdra with Swift Swim. My success with this team is really high and I am hanging around the 1500's and rising.

Last edited:
Mega Gardevoir with shadow sneak. I believe he runs timid/modest even with it. He also invested in some hP and defense because the gardevoir survived some hits that might have killed it otherwise.
I just got my ass beat by one of these and I got to say I was easily impressed, just as I thought I had the game won (due to my Scolipede being faster and all) I got Koed by Shadow Sneak! I'm really curious to know what his build was, probably Naive/Hasty for more damage output on Shadow Sneak? I mean, She does get an Att boost when Mega Evolving. I don't know... But it really caught me off guard. Here I am trying to breed one in my Pokemon White. So far I got:

Gardevoir
Timid/Naive/Hasty
88HP 56Def 252Sp.Att 114Speed
Hyper Voice
Shadow Sneak
Physhock/Psychic
Calm Mind maybe?

I think I'll have need to reassign those Evs but I can't seem to find find out just how he did it .-. I'll do some more experimenting, I'll probably get the hang of it soon c:

I just got my ass beat by one of these and I got to say I was easily impressed, just as I thought I had the game won (due to my Scolipede being faster and all) I got Koed by Shadow Sneak! I'm really curious to know what his build was, probably Naive/Hasty for more damage output on Shadow Sneak? I mean, She does get an Att boost when Mega Evolving. I don't know... But it really caught me off guard. Here I am trying to breed one in my Pokemon White. So far I got:

Gardevoir
Timid/Naive/Hasty
88HP 56Def 252Sp.Att 114Speed
Hyper Voice
Shadow Sneak
Physhock/Psychic
Calm Mind maybe?

I think I'll have need to reassign those Evs but I can't seem to find find out just how he did it .-. I'll do some more experimenting, I'll probably get the hang of it soon c:
The person we're talking about has made his/her Battle Videos available, so it's just a matter of using Imposter Dittos to guesstimate the Gardevoir's nature and EV spreads.

His name is ka・e ru★ and you can find him hanging out in the top 10 of singles.

Last edited:
The person we're talking about has made his/her Battle Videos available, so it's just a matter of using Imposter Dittos to guesstimate the Gardevoir's nature and EV spreads.

His name is ka・e ru★ and you can find him hanging out in the top 10 of singles.
That is... If I bump into him again. Who knows how long it'll take for me to fight him again (God knows if it really was him). So far the problem I keep having is how to adjust the defensive Evs on her, mind linking me to one of his/her videos?

Apparently this bulky hyper offense thing is becoming quite popular. Everything invests in bulk.
Basically they make you think they are gonna outspeed you, force a switch and then take a hit from the incoming check to get more damage off you.
I initially found this out because my seismic toss megakhan didnt 2hko 4 out of 5 gyaradoses,
then there seems to be a whole playstyle going around it http://www29.atwiki.jp/yakuwarironri66/pages/553.html

CoolStoryBrobat

Apparently this bulky hyper offense thing is becoming quite popular. Everything invests in bulk.
Basically they make you think they are gonna outspeed you, force a switch and then take a hit from the incoming check to get more damage off you.
I initially found this out because my seismic toss megakhan didnt 2hko 4 out of 5 gyaradoses,
then there seems to be a whole playstyle going around it http://www29.atwiki.jp/yakuwarironri66/pages/553.html
How'd you find this? ....Could this be the promised land? The "Japanese Smogon" we all been looking for?

I looked for some online web translators and apparently Google's the best one I could scrounge up, which brings one to this URL:

http://translate.google.com/transla...ww29.atwiki.jp/yakuwarironri66/pages/553.html

You'd have to analyze the context of what it's saying a bit but some things are just synonyms/mistranslations. Like "Obstinate" would be "Adamant"

That is... If I bump into him again. Who knows how long it'll take for me to fight him again (God knows if it really was him). So far the problem I keep having is how to adjust the defensive Evs on her, mind linking me to one of his/her videos?
As we were discussing earlier, certain players keep their battle history (in their profile, which is accessible via the ranking ladders on the Global Link website) public, and even have their Battle Video codes automatically uploaded. This particular chap is in the top 10 though (Heck, he's currently Single's Number 2), so it is probably not very likely that he was the same person you ran into, due to how rating match-making works. Follow the link below:

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/user/O-019-9522-R/battle/

How'd you find this? ....Could this be the promised land? The "Japanese Smogon" we all been looking for?

I looked for some online web translators and apparently Google's the best one I could scrounge up, which brings one to this URL:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www29.atwiki.jp/yakuwarironri66/pages/553.html

You'd have to analyze the context of what it's saying a bit but some things are just synonyms/mistranslations. Like "Obstinate" would be "Adamant"
lol sirius?
This isnt even Dat popular. It's even fairy easy to recognize.
If you see a whole team of bulky attackers youmt as well prepare for that the ferrothorn is choice band and the togekiss specs.
This is only a thing for the same reason megaluce isnt that good in 3v3. Dem ultra-delicate speed tiers arent as important as bulk and power (or coverage) when you are constantly forcing switches and revenge killing stuff anyways.

Edit:

Hydreigon@choice specs
Modest 252HP/252SpA
-Draco meteor
-Dark pulse
-Focus blast
-Fire Blast

Aegislash@choice band
Adamant 252HP/252Att
-Sacred Sword
-Shadow Claw
-Aerial Ace
-Head Smash

Azumarill@splash plate
Adamant 252HP/252Att
-Aqua Tail
-Play Rough
-Superpower
-Knock off

Landorus-T@expert belt/rocky helmet
Adamant 252Def/252Att
-Earthquake
-Stone edge
-Superpower
-U-turn

Venusaur-M@venusaurite
Quiet 252HP 252SpA
-Leaf storm
-Sludge bomb
-HP fire
-Earthquake

Heatran@Life orb
Quiet 252HP 252SpA
-Magma storm
-Flash cannon
-Earth power
-Stone edge/Sleep talk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)