Other Don't use that, use this [XY OU Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly not because people can't seem to help taking a dump on the poor thing every chance they get.
Yeah, I mean Florges has a whole 2, I mean TWO more Defense when the higher HP only does a lot more then make up for that. Plus, look, my Attack is the same as Sylveon so I can easily become the worlds best physical sweeper.

If anyone tries replying saying Florges is better now something must be wrong.

Interesting new topics:

- People using DD Zygarde without ESpeed
- Vaporeon and... everything
- Noivern without Switcheroo or Hurricane
- (insert Defog user) vs Latias/Scizor

Well, I'm still new to this but I will state that I never use legendary pokemon simply because I know I have no hope in hell of ever getting a 5 IV Heatran, Thundurus, Manaphy or Kuyrem, so why should I get used to something I'll never be able to get and generate a crutch that I can't bank on when I play the cartridge game?

Hell, using a defog Empoleon already seems like I'm pushing it since anything that is Black and White move tutor based and 5 IVs would also cost me quite a bit to get my hands on.

As for adding to the topic itself can't really comment on a different case because of lack of experience, my biggest would be probably to avoid Smeargle as a trap setter since he is so much taunt bait and any decent grass can kill his spore stall shenanigans that can be seen miles away, but I really favor Sableye on my teams anyway.

Well, I'm still new to this but I will state that I never use legendary pokemon simply because I know I have no hope in hell of ever getting a 5 IV Heatran, Thundurus, Manaphy or Kuyrem, so why should I get used to something I'll never be able to get and generate a crutch that I can't bank on when I play the cartridge game?

Hell, using a defog Empoleon already seems like I'm pushing it since anything that is Black and White move tutor based and 5 IVs would also cost me quite a bit to get my hands on.

As for adding to the topic itself can't really comment on a different case because of lack of experience, my biggest would be probably to avoid Smeargle as a trap setter since he is so much taunt bait and any decent grass can kill his spore stall shenanigans that can be seen miles away, but I really favor Sableye on my teams anyway.
The best way is not to throw that argument in, possible = possible no matter how you look at it so it will be taken into account.

As for Smeargle, its the definition of niche because no matter what it does its outclassed and only the combination keeps it viable. Smarter Smeargle users won't lead if they see a Sableye.

The best way is not to throw that argument in, possible = possible no matter how you look at it so it will be taken into account.
Never said you shouldn't, I'm just saying that me personally will never bother since I can never count with any of those mons when I play any XY competitions, so getting used to them would be stupid on my part simply because to me showdown is for testing stuff that I would like to use in the cartridge, so if I can't use it in the cartridge or my chances are really slim, better not bother with it till I can actually get one (believe me, the second I get a 5 IV Heatran, I'll start using it actively).

I assume this is another of the reasons people don't go for the best mons from the get go. It's also the eason why I don't tend to count on hidden powers, because I know I don't have the patience to breed a perfect hidden power fire greninja. 5 perfect IVs is my limit, at least for now.

Never said you shouldn't, I'm just saying that me personally will never bother since I can never count with any of those mons when I play any XY competitions, so getting used to them would be stupid on my part simply because to me showdown is for testing stuff that I would like to use in the cartridge, so if I can't use it in the cartridge or my chances are really slim, better not bother with it till I can actually get one (believe me, the second I get a 5 IV Heatran, I'll start using it actively).

I assume this is another of the reasons people don't go for the best mons from the get go. It's also the eason why I don't tend to count on hidden powers, because I know I don't have the patience to breed a perfect hidden power fire greninja. 5 perfect IVs is my limit, at least for now.
At the very least, any pokemon you catch in XY that cannot be bred is guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs, which makes it a ton easier for legendaries. I expect Z will add a bunch of old legendaries like B/W2 did.

Sorry if this question doesn't belong here but since that Excadrill set is brought up here, figured I might as well ask: On top of Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock, why is Iron Head coupled onto Earthquake rather than Rock Slide for pseudo EdgeQuake coverage? Is there some coverage or merit of such combination I'm missing? Would be nice if someone can enlighten me on that, thanks in advance.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock / Swords Dance

STAB. Base 120 power EQ is nothing to laugh at, and Excadrill can swat down flying types with a STAB Iron head anyways. It allows Excadrill to hit harder. However, a rock slide set can also be viable.

Forretress is a joke nowadays. Klefki getting stealth rock would be the final nail in his coffin. But he doesn't.
We do have this Pokemon called Excadrill, don't we? That basically outclasses Forretress in rock laying and Rapid Spinning, while keeping an offensive presence. Forretress DOES get Volt Switch to grab momentum, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
We do have this Pokemon called Excadrill, don't we? That basically outclasses Forretress in rock laying and Rapid Spinning, while keeping an offensive presence. Forretress DOES get Volt Switch to grab momentum, though...
Yes, I mentioned klefki because of prankster, however Excadrill is a better offensive choice. Volt switch is as well another niche for forretress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I think of it, Donphan and Forretress are very similar pokemon in this meta. They both have an extremely specific niche in which they are not directly outclassed, but when you try and fit them into a more broad niche, they are immediately outclassed by other pokemon.

Now that I think of it, Donphan and Forretress are very similar pokemon in this meta. They both have an extremely specific niche in which they are not directly outclassed, but when you try and fit them into a more broad niche, they are immediately outclassed by other pokemon.
True, and this allows them to perform well on specific teams, but those are uncommon, and don't tend to work well. In the wide spectrum of the OU metagame, they are outclassed.

Could be argued that mold breaker on pinsir is also very useful for taking out common switch in's that expect you to mega-evolve. Specifically Rotom-W and rotom-H that can take your returns pretty reliably. I know its situational but I hope you can agree mold breaker EQ is a useful tool to have on any pokemon with a rotom-w counter.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will be keeping a close eye on this thread, because there are very few Pokemon / sets that are commonly used even though they are completely outclassed by another Pokemon / set in their respective role(s).

For example, the Alakazam - Talonflame comparison should be removed, as those two play completely different even though they can both fulfill revenge killing duties. Talonflame needs SR / Defog support to function and can't revenge kill Pokemon such as DD Mega Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Excadrill, DD Dragonite, Extremspeed Mega Lucario, and healthy Thundurus, all of which Focus Sash Alakazam can OHKO or cripple with Thunder Wave. On the other hand, Alakazam only works once and is a much worse late-game sweeper, while also having less firepower.

Doing this because I'm really amazed this Pokemon even manages to clock 2% usage:

Don't Use This:

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

Basically took a look at the moveset statistics to see what the most common set was. Anyways, the fact that this thing manages to even get 2% usage is astonishing. I can see the appeal this thing has; it has a nice Attack stat, a somewhat usable Speed, and okay bulk along with good coverage. However, this isn't enough to justify using Arcanine over any Fire-type available. It can hit fairly hard, but it's a lackluster choice compared to other Fire-types available, especially Entei, Infernape, Mega Charizard X, etc. Yes, it has Close Combat and Wild Charge for Rock- and Water-types, but that isn't something the other Fire-types can't do (other than Talonflame I guess). Intimidate is cool, but not so much on Arcanine, since its defensive typing is rather poor, and most physical attackers have a way to hit it really hard.

Instead, use:

I could make a whole list here but I shouldn't because Arcanine is outclassed by so many things. In other words, if you want a Fire-type, there are plenty of other choices that are better than it. Entei has Sacred Fire, and the high burn chance is neat, while it also has the lovely ExtremeSpeed that Arcanine has. Infernape has good power and Close Combat, making it a better Pokemon than Arcanine in every way. There's also Mega Charizard X, who has Outrage and Dragon Dance along with Tough Claws so it's much more lethal than Arcanine. Talonflame has Gale Wings Brave Bird and U-turn and its revenge killing role makes it a better mon than Arcanine. You should probably get my point by now. There is simply no reason to use Arcanine over any of these Fire-types in OU. Everything Arcanine does, something else can already accomplish or even do it better.
Okay, this might come as a little bit annoyed, but do not say that he is utterly outclassed without giving a specific set and what outclasses him. Like say if you said compared to Infernape, I could understand as that makes a lot of sense with STAB Close Combat and higher speed, but to say he is outclassed by Entei is a little far.

Entei outclasses Arcanine and Arcanine outclasses Entei. This may seem odd all things considering, but allow me to expain.

As a Bulky attacker, Entei outclasses Arcanine. Being able to spam Sacred Fire is nice and having a higher HP stat with higher Attack stat make him great at what he does. While he would kill for Arcanine's coverage (and still would), he greatly beats him in being able to just being able to attack and murder a few things.

As a defensive fire type, Arcanine's only real rival is Heatran, but where Heatran is Sp. Def, Arc is Physical Defensive. Being coupled with Intimidate is already huge, allowing him to easily shrug off key attacks like they were nothing, but he then comes with recovery in Morning Sun. Couple that with Will-o-Wisp, Arcanine can effectively fix two of its weaknesses as the majority of Ground and Rock type attacks that would be directed at him are physical. Does part of his bulk come in from being brought in? Yah, but so does a certain Lando-T too, so its not hard to discount.

I might be getting a bit defensive there, but don't just say he is outclassed by every fire type when he in essence isn't.

Well, hopefully I'll be able format this in the same uniform matter as the previous posts, so here we go:

Don't use this:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Atk
Naive Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

Why it's bad: While Dragon Dance Salamence is something that's been degrading since last Generation facing competition from Dragonite who sported the same typing but much better bulk last Gen due to it's access to Multiscale, Salamence's sheer power from previous Generations has kept it from falling into obscurity, but Salamence has fallen out of favor this Generation due to the advent of the Fairy Type making it unable to spam it's main STAB move, while the Flying Type gives Salamence no notable Attacking moves to make use of while giving it a weakness to Stealth Rock, and due to the lack of a notable STAB move to take use of, the Dragon Dance Set is forced to either run obscure moves like Zen Headbutt, or in this case, Special Moves like Fire Blast, and being extremely susceptible to WoW which is much more common due to it's accuracy buff, but it's also quite a bit of Burn Bait in General.

Instead, use this:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze -----> Tough Claws
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Dance
-Roost

Why it's better: Charizard has been gifted with a Mega Evolution this Generation, and has set quite the standard for Dragon Dance Sweepers in General. A great STAB combination alongside passable bulk given how threatening a Mega Charizard X can be, but the big draw here is one, the Fire/Dragon type, a typing shared only by Reshiram, but that's a bit irrelevant due to Reshiram's Uber Status and being more Special Geared, but for a Physical Attacker like Charizard X, it's a blessing due to the inability to cripple it with the Burn Status period, Something no other Physical Dragon can boast, but also benefits from it's Tough Claws ability, which gives a 33% boost to it's Contact moves such as Flare Blitz or Dragon Claw, so a more potent effect then Life Orb but without Life Orb's Recoil helping Zard X's Longevity, and because of how potent the Fire/Dragon STAB is and Zard X's good bulk it can afford to run Roost in place of Earthquake to further lengthen it's longevity, though it can also opt for Earthquake as well to nail opposing Heatran and keep Zard X from playing mind game's with Aegislash. The only notable thing Salamence has against it is the fact that Mega Charizard X is, well, a Mega, so teams already using a Mega such as Pinsir cannot use Zard X.

Conclusion: Salamence has fallen from Grace in XY OU now, with many of it's roles being filled better by other Dragon's such as the Dragon Dance Set being done better by Dragonite and Zard X, while it's MixMence Role, as mentioned by the OP, is outclassed by Kyurem Black. So at the end of the day, Salamence, especially when it comes to Dragon Dancing, finds it hard to find a niche other Dragons can't do as well or better.

Note: Gah, this was surprisingly stressful to write, so hopefully this turned out solid, and hopefully this is all in the uniform fashion I've seen from earlier and I didn't miss any important details.

Edit: Fixed up the sets mentioned here such as a slash between Dragon Claw and Outrage on both Zard X and Mence as well as fixing up the wording making it a bit easier to read.

Last edited:
Don't use this:

Mawile
@ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Substitute / Swords Dance

Why it's bad: It's not exactly bad, but its inferior to having other attacks over Iron Head. While Iron Head might be tempting as a perfectly accurate STAB for Mawile, it simply does not provide enough coverage for Mawile alongside Play Rough and Sucker Punch. Iron Head hits Fairies and Ice types hard, but Play Rough is enough to 1-2HKO them anyway, especially when they can't really do much in return to Mawile. Rock types seen in OU are only limited to Tyranitar and Terrakion, which are also hit SE by Play Rough.

Instead, use this:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Brick Break / Focus Punch

Why it's better: As illustrated, Mawile doesn't really need to hit a target for SE to kill or dent them; having better coverage is usually better. The safest checks for Mawile are Steel or Fire types types which means we want something that hits them hard. Heatran, Ferrothorn, Skarmory are the few viable physical Fairy resists in the tier, so we want our 3rd slot to KO them. Fire Fang hits the latter 2 hard, whereas Brick Break dispatches the former 2. Focus Punch is also an option if running Substitute for anything that is not outright immune is almost OHKOed right away.

I admit how crap Enertgy Ball is dealing with the Grass-weak pokemon on Florges.

This is an outclassed moveset:

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability Flower Veil
EV 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpA
Calm Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Aromatherapy
-Moonblast

The only advantages over Sylveon are 15 more speed, 2% special bulk and the ability to run Psychic and Energy Ball (the former is not very useful, Grass is the complete opposite of Water in coverage). Sylveon can Psychock (but not Psychic) but can Shadow Ball (which has something interesting threats to hit SE; Chandelure, Gengar, Aegislash, Jirachi, Victini).

This is NOT and outclassed moveset
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability Torrent
EV 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid/Modest nature
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dark pulse
-U-turn

And why if the main reason to usee Greninja is Protean? Yes, but I see why.

Greninja is relatively frail, with means it's prone to priority attacks.

Example:
You have one scenario: Dragonite vs Greninja: Dragonite has the scale broken by Stealth Rock. The player predict that the opponent will switch out and stay ont he field, using Dragon Dance.

Turn A
Greninja used Ice Beam
It's super effective
Dragonite lost 75% of the health
Dragonite fainted.

You also have a CB Scizor in your hand. The Greninja has took 40% from a resistant. No other of your pokemon can outspeed Greninja, has priority or has the health to take one of Greninja attacks.

And then:
Scizor used Bullet Punch
It's not very effective
Greninja lost 40% of the health

Greninja uses Surf
Scizor lost 88% fo his health.
Scizor fainted.

What happened? The opponent forgot that the Proteam message didn't appear (but the opponent stated it obvious that this greninja has Protean) to only found that his Scizor can't reliable revenge kill Greninja and now any Surf/Hydro Pump (not guaranteed/guaranteed) will OHKO this Scizor.

Torrent Greninja. Two of his main moves keep the STAB bonus, Water/Dark has a great number of resistances to common types. Including many of the priority moves: the only thing that doesn't resist are (with examples): standard Quick Attack (Diggersby), Aerilate Quick Attack (only Pinsir), Mach Punch (Conkeldurr, weak), Vaccum Wave (lucario, weak) and Gale Wings Brave Bird (only Talonflame)

Don't use this:

Xatu
@ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Timid Nature
- Psychic / U-Turn
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Roost

Why it's bad: I'm honestly surprised Dual Screens Xatu sees any usage at all. While Dual Screens is certainly a viable strategy for offensive and defensive teams alike, and Magic Bounce is a very good ability, Xatu is mostly outclassed by any other Dual Screens Setter or Magic Bouncer (we're talking evolutionary lines here; Natu doesn't count). Honestly, the only reason to use Xatu over, say, Espeon, is for Thunder Wave, and if you really want Thunder Wave that badly, Thundurus and Blissey usually get the job done a lot better.

Instead, use this:

Espeon
@ Light Clay
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- HP Fire / Baton Pass / Yawn / Morning Sun

Why it's better: This slot is also interchangeable with any other Dual Screens setter or Magic Bouncer. I chose this set as an example as it does literally everything Dual Screens Xatu can do (better, I might add). The first thing that tells you Xatu is outclassed by Espeon are their stat totals; Espeon has better stats than Xatu in everything except Attack and Defense, with a 10 point difference each... boo freakin' hoo. Less Attack actually helps Espeon to take less damage from Foul Play, which is important when dealing with Klefki. Not only that, but Espeon actually has an option for hitting hazard setters once it's switched in: HP Fire, which reliably OHKOs Ferrothorn and Forretress (if Sturdy is deactivated) and at least deals decent damage to Klefki and Skarmory. Baton Pass can also be used for escaping Pursuit trappers like Tyranitar and Scizor, which Xatu can only do if it has U-Turn. Yawn has far more utility than Toxic or Thunder Wave as it can force switches or cripple a sweeper, which can give your team a few free turns. Morning Sun also outclasses Roost if you're in need of reliable recovery.

Conclusion: Don't use Xatu. It wasn't good before, and it certainly isn't good now. If it was the sole user of Magic Bounce before Gen VI, it might have a legitimate reason to be used at all, but because Espeon and Mega-Absol also get it, it isn't exactly flying high. The Support moveset is a cute attempt, but it's done better by Blissey anyway. All in all, while Xatu has an awesome ability, its garbage stats and horrendous typing do nothing but hinder it.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't use this:

Mawile
@ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Why it's bad: It's not exactly bad, but its inferior to having other attacks over Iron Head. While Iron Head might be tempting as a perfectly accurate STAB for Mawile, it simply does not provide enough coverage for Mawile alongside Play Rough and Sucker Punch. Iron Head hits Fairies and Ice types hard, but Play Rough is enough to 1-2HKO them anyway, especially when they can't really do much in return to Mawile. Rock types seen in OU are only limited to Tyranitar and Terrakion, which are also hit SE by Play Rough.

Instead, use this:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Brick Break / Focus Punch

Why it's better: As illustrated, Mawile doesn't really need to hit a target for SE to kill or dent them; having better coverage is usually better. The safest checks for Mawile are Steel or Fire types types which means we want something that hits them hard. Heatran, Ferrothorn, Skarmory are the few viable physical Fairy resists in the tier, so we want our 3rd slot to KO them. Fire Fang hits the latter 2 hard, whereas Brick Break dispatches the former 2. Focus Punch is also an option if running Substitute for anything that is not outright immune is almost OHKOed right away.
You're dead wrong there. There's one very, very important target that Mega Mawile will want to have Iron Head for.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Venusaur: 169-201 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If Mawile has a Swords Dance boost, then you're looking at an OHKO. This alone gives Iron Head a lot of merit, as Fire Fang doesn't even come close.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 92-110 (25.2 - 30.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

I won't argue that Iron Head is the best choice, but it's absolutely viable, moreso than Focus Punch anyways.

This is NOT and outclassed moveset
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability Torrent
EV 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid/Modest nature
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dark pulse
-U-turn

And why if the main reason to usee Greninja is Protean? Yes, but I see why.

Greninja is relatively frail, with means it's prone to priority attacks.

Example:
You have one scenario: Dragonite vs Greninja: Dragonite has the scale broken by Stealth Rock. The player predict that the opponent will switch out and stay ont he field, using Dragon Dance.

Turn A
Greninja used Ice Beam
It's super effective
Dragonite lost 75% of the health
Dragonite fainted.

You also have a CB Scizor in your hand. The Greninja has took 40% from a resistant. No other of your pokemon can outspeed Greninja, has priority or has the health to take one of Greninja attacks.

And then:
Scizor used Bullet Punch
It's not very effective
Greninja lost 40% of the health

Greninja uses Surf
Scizor lost 88% fo his health.
Scizor fainted.

What happened? The opponent forgot that the Proteam message didn't appear (but the opponent stated it obvious that this greninja has Protean) to only found that his Scizor can't reliable revenge kill Greninja and now any Surf/Hydro Pump (not guaranteed/guaranteed) will OHKO this Scizor.

Torrent Greninja. Two of his main moves keep the STAB bonus, Water/Dark has a great number of resistances to common types. Including many of the priority moves: the only thing that doesn't resist are (with examples): standard Quick Attack (Diggersby), Aerilate Quick Attack (only Pinsir), Mach Punch (Conkeldurr, weak), Vaccum Wave (lucario, weak) and Gale Wings Brave Bird (only Talonflame)
Nope, that's a bad set. Never mind that Dragonite wouldn't stay in on Greninja unless it was being sacked or had a way around it via prior Dragon Dances or Extremespeed, Protean is pretty much the only thing that keeps Greninja from being totally outclassed by the likes of Starmie, Scarf Keldeo, and Scarf Rotom-W, and the only case when this would actually come in to play is if they happen to have Scizor, the only common user of Bullet Punch, and aren't paying attention to the lack of Protean text. Stay away from Torrent.

You're dead wrong there. There's one very, very important target that Mega Mawile will want to have Iron Head for.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Venusaur: 169-201 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If Mawile has a Swords Dance boost, then you're looking at an OHKO. This alone gives Iron Head a lot of merit, as Fire Fang doesn't even come close.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 92-110 (25.2 - 30.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

I won't argue that Iron Head is the best choice, but it's absolutely viable, moreso than Focus Punch anyways.
You forgot to give a Relaxed nature for Mega venusaur, which only grants a <1% chance (0.4% to be exact) of 2HKO while Mega Venusaur clearly outspeeds and has a good chance to 2HKO with EQ. Focus Punch is definitely still viable if you can predict a switch and get a Sub up, allowing you to defeat a lot of steels that like to switch in on it, while also brings about a lot of mindgames with Sucker Punch. There is a reason why Focus Punch at least got a mention in other options in the analysis, while Iron Head didn't even appear in it. The merits of possibly beating Venusaur is not worth losing to Ferrothorn, Skarmory and/or Heatran, which you could have a good chance of beating otherwise. I'm not saying Iron Head is not viable, but losing out beating at least 2 of your checks to have a lower than 1% chance to beat Venusaur is not worth it . After all, this thread is not about pointing out unviable sets, but rather pointing out when a set is outclassed by another.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't use this:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Wish / Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Why it's bad: Blissey's not bad, per say, but it's simply outclassed by its pre-evolution, Chansey, because Blissey has several key issues that prevent it from excelling. While Blissey possesses superior base stats than Chansey, its inability to use Eviolite means it has an extremely poor Defense stat that can be taken advantage of by nearly every physical attacker. Thus, Blissey is unable to wall the many mixed attackers popular in OU and often finds itself overwhelmed in a tier filled with powerful and unpredictable attackers. Furthermore, Blissey's niche over Chansey in being able to use certain special attacks has been largely overshadowed by a tier where Pokemon such as Assault Vest Excadrill and Aegislash take pitiful damage from even a super effective Flamethrower.

Instead, use this:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Wish / Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Why it's better: With Eviolite in hand, Chansey becomes far bulkier than Blissey could ever imagine in both stats. Although the lack of Leftovers may seem poor, Chansey more than makes up for it by having comparable physical bulk to fully invested 100/100 defenses while retaining the greatest special bulk in the game. This means that Chansey can wall many unboosted attackers, even many physical ones—an amazing feat and certainly a lifesaver for any defensively-oriented or Cleric-reliant team. Many dedicated wallbreakers, such as Kyurem-B, struggle to get past Chansey, a testament to her effectiveness against offensive teams. Chansey is still usable in Sandstorm and when afflicted by status—most attacks will do substantially less damage to Chansey as compared to Blissey even when factoring in the extra passive damage. And although Knock Off is more prevalent than it was last gen, with very few exceptions, the users of Knock Off are not Pokemon that Chansey should be staying in on anyway.

Conclusion: By virtue of its greatly increased defenses, Chansey should almost always be used over her older sister. Chansey still has at her disposal the vast majority of her sister's tools: Seismic Toss and Toxic; Natural Cure; and a variety of team support options including Wish, Heal Bell, and even Stealth Rock. In a metagame filled with extremely powerful attackers and game-winning setup strategies, no defensive Pokemon can afford to be easy fodder. Chansey, unlike Blissey, possesses the sheer defensive prowess and resiliency to make a significant contribution to any team in need of a great wall.

Don't use this:

Jolteon @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam

Why it's bad: With many Pokemon introduced, revamped, or brought back to OU, most with far better stats, abilities, and movepools than seen before, Jolteon's main niche, a fast 130 base speed, is no longer as exclusive as it was before. Furthermore, the lack of permanent rain has severely undermined Jolteon's power by preventing it from spamming Thunder. With a severely lacking base 110 Special Attack, extremely thin defenses, and one of the worst STABs to be locked into, Jolteon can no longer find a place in OU, and using it is often only a liability to the rest of your team.

Instead, use this:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice / U-turn

Why it's better: Thundurus carries not only a substantially higher Special Attack stat, but an arguably superior typing that gives it far better of a matchup against the Ground-types that typically wall Jolteon. Thanks to Prankster, Thundurus can more than make up for its slightly lower speed in comparison to Jolteon by being able to utilize a priority Thunder Wave, allowing it to outspeed even the fastest of attackers. With just two attacks Thundurus can attain near-perfect coverage, and still have room for either another coverage move or the momentum-grabbing U-turn. With a powerful Focus Blast, Thundurus is not plagued by common special walls such as Heatran and Tyranitar. With a jaw-dropping array of options ranging from priority Taunt to physically based Defiant + Bulk Up sets, Thundurus is also many times more flexible than Jolteon and can easily fill a number of roles.

Conclusion:

If you're looking for a fast, powerful, and adaptable Electric-type attacker, look no more to Jolteon and instead embrace Thundurus. With better stats, typing, and a movepool that Jolteon would die for, Thundurus fulfills all of the roles that Jolteon does and much, much more. Overall, Thundurus brings to the battle field a much more threatening presence that can affect the whole tier.
I would also add that this outclasses Jolteon (if you are not using a mega on your team):

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice

Mega Manectric is actually a little faster than Jolteon. It also has 25 more base special attack, and while Jolteon ultimately hits harder due to Choice Specs or Life Orb, Mega Manectric doesn't have to suffer the drawbacks of those items, it can switch moves and doesn't take recoil. Mega Manectric also has passable physical bulk because it gets Intimidate as well as somewhat better stats (70 HP/80 Def vs. 65 HP/60 Def), which happens to work very nicely for a pokemon that spams Volt Switch everywhere.

Manectric also has a better movepool than Jolteon's. Overheat has much better base power than Jolteon's Shadow Ball and Signal Beam, and the special attack drop isn't a big problem with Volt Switch, though Flamethrower is also an option. Either way, fire coverage should be something that Jolteon would kill for, since it complements Electric STAB so much better, hitting a lot of pokemon who resist Electric and don't care about Hidden Power. Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Celebi, Magnezone, Breloom, Trevenant, Gourgeist, and Galvantula are just a few of the ones who actually resist electric. Where Jolteon's Shadow Ball and Signal Beam hit Celebi, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Lati@s, and Hydreigon, many of those are the same targets and I'm also counting that you use both Shadow Ball and Signal Beam which you probably aren't.

Nice work so far, guys!

I've got one:

Don't use this:

Espeon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Why it's bad: Espeon has near top 20 usage right now, and I really don't get why. Magic Bounce is predictable, it's horribly frail, and it's easily walled by common Pokemon, such as Tyranitar and Heatran. In addition, Espeon is easily beaten by a ton of offensive Pokemon, particularly Genesect, Aegislash, and Scizor, among others. In addition, it doesn't really hit that hard, especially with its pathetically weak coverage moves. Magic Bounce is nowhere near good enough or consistent enough to warrant using a Pokemon with so many offensive and defensive shortcomings. Luckily, however, there is a far better alternative:

Instead, use this:

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 20 Atk / 240 Spe / 248 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Fire

Why it's better: Offensive Deoxys-S beats all of the Pokemon that laugh at Espeon, with the sole exception of Aegislash. It OHKOes Tyranitar and Excadrill with Superpower, while it also OHKOes Genesect and Scizor with Hidden Power Fire. Deoxys-S's ridiculous Speed allows it to function as a fantastic revenge killer that is faster than many Choice Scarf users, while its great mixed coverage and STAB Psycho Boost make it hard to wall. Not to mention, it can easily bluff a hazards lead set, which only adds to its potency.

Conclusion: Offensive Deoxys-S is better than offensive Espeon in nearly every way. It's much harder to wall, much faster, and much less of a liability against common Pokemon. Deoxys-S also outclasses Espeon when it comes to Dual Screens sets, but that's for another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)