Beta Competition Rules?

*disclaimer* I'm not sure if this should be here or in battlespot, but figured I'd try here
Hey, I've been building a team for the beta competition happening next week, though I don't know the team restrictions, all I've been told is it has to be kalos caught/bred, though I'm not sure if there are any other restrictions (kalos vs national Dex, etc)

I wasn't entirely sure whether this would turn out to be 6v6 or 4v4 so I just based it on what I've seen them favoring which is 4v4. I'm actually a bit excited for this since this will be the first time I've made a team for 4v4 Doubles given that I've always favored 6v6 Doubles. Though at the same time it'll be awkward since I assumed that usable Pokemon would only include XY-obtainables rather than Kalos Natives. Now I'm just patiently waiting to see which one of my games gets the invite. I'll see you all there! :)

I wasn't entirely sure whether this would turn out to be 6v6 or 4v4 so I just based it on what I've seen them favoring which is 4v4. I'm actually a bit excited for this since this will be the first time I've made a team for 4v4 Doubles given that I've always favored 6v6 Doubles. Though at the same time it'll be awkward since I assumed that usable Pokemon would only include XY-obtainables rather than Kalos Natives. Now I'm just patiently waiting to see which one of my games gets the invite. I'll see you all there! :)
Yup, 4v4. It's basically like laddering on Battle Spot Doubles, except that it is at Level 30 and that your pokes are locked once you enter.

EDIT: And Kalos bred. With a limit of 20 battles per day, unused battles can be carried over to the next day.

2nd EDIT: Screw this crap. After going on a hot streak (11-1 or something, with that 1 loss down to some really bad 1-turn misplay at the end of the match) my luck turned so bad that I'm getting fully paralysed nearly every turn and/or fast asleep until the sleep timer runs out. For crap's sake this ain't Battle Maison, right? Bah. Gonna let the remaining matches carry over to tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm saddened that I didn't receive an invite, perhaps I simply waited too long but there will always be next time. Let me know how the tournament experience turns out for everyone.

Seems to me that the systems continue to think that I'm playing in Battle Maison. My crap luck continues with me getting more paralysis (item clause really screws you over in such a case) and the opponents getting more critical hits than ever (how am I even supposed to prevent that?!). Watching my rating and win-loss ratio drop like a stone is nowhere near fun, especially when I'd have won many of such said matches if I wasn't getting haxed every other turn. -.-"

Was there any problems receiving your I'd? mines not coming through NVM, wrong area

Last edited:
Seems to me that the systems continue to think that I'm playing in Battle Maison. My crap luck continues with me getting more paralysis (item clause really screws you over in such a case) and the opponents getting more critical hits than ever (how am I even supposed to prevent that?!). Watching my rating and win-loss ratio drop like a stone is nowhere near fun, especially when I'd have won many of such said matches if I wasn't getting haxed every other turn. -.-"
Well, I've always seen losses as an enjoyable experience and generally more so than simply winning. Especially in matches where you're anywhere close to losing at 6-0 you learn more about not only yourself but others as well. I think that there is a necessary balance between the two, otherwise you're not really going anywhere. There exists a lens where losing can put a smile on you, and that just makes it a more enjoyable experience when you're driven to find such opponents.

Putting that aside, I've heard that the beta tournament permits the use of duplicate species, can anyone confirm this? It sounds somewhat interesting as it probably makes things less obvious than what can be assumed of the duplicates.
And Tortoise, if this is true perhaps you could double check the item clause if you feel that it would help.
You've also mentioned that selections become locked once they've been entered. Does this include changing movesets/items?

Well, I've always seen losses as an enjoyable experience and generally more so than simply winning. Especially in matches where you're anywhere close to losing at 6-0 you learn more about not only yourself but others as well. I think that there is a necessary balance between the two, otherwise you're not really going anywhere. There exists a lens where losing can put a smile on you, and that just makes it a more enjoyable experience when you're driven to find such opponents.

Putting that aside, I've heard that the beta tournament permits the use of duplicate species, can anyone confirm this? It sounds somewhat interesting as it probably makes things less obvious than what can be assumed of the duplicates.
And Tortoise, if this is true perhaps you could double check the item clause if you feel that it would help.
Yes, can confirm that Species clause is NOT active. Just got destroyed by a Japanese using 2 Charizards (1 of them Mega-Y)... 1st turn already I'm 2 down thanks to Drought boosted double Heat Wave. -.-" So far haven't seen duplicate items though.

EDIT: Playing at the same time as the Japanese seems a really horrible idea. Quite a number of surprise sets. Just ran into Weakness Policy Lightning Rod Rhyperior + Mega Charizard-Y + Hitmontop. Intimidate = all physical attackers are useless, then swap out for Rhyperior to take Electric attacks/Protect on Charizard to block Rock attacks.

2nd EDIT: Frustration Kanga? Really? I thought Frustration Kanga was only seen on simulators... Japanese wonders, seriously...

Last edited:
Most annoying part of the competition is how meeting my predictions were, thought I'd be sing a lot more smeargle and m-kang

This competiton is too weird, seriously. First not species clause. It's my first tournament, I would like to start with the competitive plays.

I found first 1 team with 6 greninjas. Weird but true, then 6 rotoms...

But anyway, the worst thing that I found was a scarf dark void smeargle, really???? Well, 2nd day and 22/18. Not bad if I think that it's my first time in competitive games.

Lots of things that I need to fix in my team.

I haven't been able to even download the player certificate. Is it normal that it takes over 30 mins for it?
Are you trying to access from the start menu (i.e. the screen where you load your game)? When i tried that, it took me forever. Go from Battle Spot -> Online Competition, it's much faster.

This competiton is too weird, seriously. First not species clause. It's my first tournament, I would like to start with the competitive plays.

I found first 1 team with 6 greninjas. Weird but true, then 6 rotoms...

But anyway, the worst thing that I found was a scarf dark void smeargle, really???? Well, 2nd day and 22/18. Not bad if I think that it's my first time in competitive games.

Lots of things that I need to fix in my team.
Wow. And I thought getting murdered by double Drought boosted Charizard Heat Wave was bad. 6 Rotoms = all Rotom formes? That'll be interesting (i.e. send in a Mold Breaker Earthquake and have fun).

Most annoying part of the competition is how meeting my predictions were, thought I'd be sing a lot more smeargle and m-kang
I actually see a fair bit of Smeargle (Spore sucks BIG time when you thought that there is Item Clause and only prepared 1 Lum Berry...) and M-Kanga... Have actually seen at least one (if not way more) Megas in my matches thus far.

Oh... the menu one is for live tournaments as in, physichal ones...

Nintendo translators went full retard because what they wrote in Spanish means nothing like that...

Super fun times in the Beta if you're looking for weird sets (sadly I can't say the same for my W-L record). Just ran into a Ferrothorn with Iron Head murdering my Bold Togekiss. Damage calculator tells me that the Ferrothorn is most likely Adamant with 252EVs in Attack. Quite a lot of weird sets running around, will try to look through my Battle Videos when I have the time.

EDIT: I'm convinced that Adamant Ferrothorn has a huge fan base somewhere in the world. At least 3 matches in a row I see Ferrothorn, with a minimum of 2 being the Adamant Iron Head variant. Always paired up with Rotom-W for maximum annoyance and damage. Most probably nothing can OHKO them together. Excadrill, M-Gyarados and Haxorus all fail to OHKO at +2, so I'm quite convinced that there is nothing that can OHKO this combination.

Last edited:
Faced a double mega team, somebody ran both a mawile and kangaskhan, which I find confusing
It is not that uncommon. I faced something similar before. Maybe the user forgot that only 1 poke can Mega evolve in each match.

Also, seeing that I don't really ladder online, trying to complete 20 matches each day is tiring... -.-"

This event is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. First off, level 30?

Secondly, there are STILL transporter poke slipping by. Came across a team of 6x Gardevoir just now, two of them were in BW exclusive balls. Also seen bug bite Scizor and other Pokemon in BW/Dreamworld balls.

Just a FAIL all around for Pokemon.

Met: 6 Charizards. I had fun Rock Sliding and Thunderbolting them.

Secondly, there are STILL transporter poke slipping by. Came across a team of 6x Gardevoir just now, two of them were in BW exclusive balls. Also seen bug bite Scizor and other Pokemon in BW/Dreamworld balls.

Just a FAIL all around for Pokemon.
I thought the new breeding mechanics allow for balls to be passed down from the female parent? Maybe that's why you see BW exclusive balls. Bug Bite Scizor is definitely not Kalos-bred though.

Met: 6 Charizards. I had fun Rock Sliding and Thunderbolting them.

I thought the new breeding mechanics allow for balls to be passed down from the female parent? Maybe that's why you see BW exclusive balls. Bug Bite Scizor is definitely not Kalos-bred though.
I should also note that one of the Gardevoir used Signal Beam as well. I was stunned to see it being used, since I was under the impression she could not learn it in XY. Have the replay saved and can confirm it was one in a Dream Ball.

Gardevoir can only use Signal Beam via BW2 tutor according to Serebii....

The event is allowing hacked Pokemon. Submitted a ticket and replay code to Pokemon, but I doubt anything happens. Unless some others are experiencing the same kind of bullshit, Pokemon is going to allow this to slide... and that is wrong.

Kind of puts a huge damper on this entire generation imo.

Oh, that really sucks I guess. In all my 60 matches, I don't think I've seen any pokes using pre-Gen 6 tutor moves. Never really paid attention to the balls they are in though.

On a side note, finally finished the whole Beta. Sad that I failed to get at least 2:1 W-L ratio, but I really think that more often than not, luck was not on my side. Too many turns of fully paralysed and fast asleep until the cows come home. >_< I'll post my final rankings + team once the event is over.

Judging from the reactions you had in some of your posts such as Pokemon having Protect and Hitmontops, I take it that you play singles more than you do doubles Tortoise?
If someone could clarify this for me that'd be great, but does the tournament rank you based on the total number of wins or do they you start off at a 1500 rank much like Battle Spot?

There's also a stereotype about players making hacked Pokemon that they don't have much experience competitively so there's probably not too much to worry about even with unexpected movesets that shouldn't be available. Options are more open than they are in singles, and I assume that the entire team of 6 is revealed prior to every match? So against an inexperienced player, there shouldn't be much to worry about regardless of illegitimate Pokemon.

Judging from the reactions you had in some of your posts such as Pokemon having Protect and Hitmontops, I take it that you play singles more than you do doubles Tortoise?
If someone could clarify this for me that'd be great, but does the tournament rank you based on the total number of wins or do they you start off at a 1500 rank much like Battle Spot?
I actually play both formats, in fact, a lot more Doubles this generation as I was struggling to beat Battle Maison Super Doubles for a very long time (and therefore needed the practice vs both AI and other players). The post on me on Hitmontop + Protect Charizard + Rhyperior was merely to point out one of the more interesting/surprise strategies that I encountered. Key point being the good defensive synergy between those 3. Physical attackers are maimed by Intimidate while Drought shuts down all Water attacks aimed at Charizard. Electric attacks are absorbed by Rhyperior's Lightning Rod, and Protect on Charizard ensures Rock attacks are screwed for that turn (and allowing for its partner to wreck whatever havoc it wants).

For rankings, start off at 1500 a la Battle Spot. Just think of it as another Special ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)