Espeon

Overview
########

Espeon is, in a word, outclassed. Nearly every role Espeon can fulfill is done better by another Pokemon. Espeon's main competitor is Deoxys-S, which is better in both offensive and supportive roles, boasting much higher Speed, superior coverage, and access to Stealth Rock. Magic Bounce is a solid ability, but Espeon struggles to make good use of it because of its frailty and bad defensive typing. However, Espeon has its uses in the OU metagame. It is great at shutting down Deoxys-D and other hyper offense leads, and can prevent Stealth Rock from going up simply by being on the field. It also single handedly makes dedicated Baton Pass teams viable with its ability. All in all, while there is generally very little reason to use Espeon in OU, it still manages to carve itself a small niche.

Baton Pass
########
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Stored Power
move 3: Morning Sun / Substitute
move 4: Dazzling Gleam
ability: Magic Bounce
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Baton Pass is mandatory, as it is what allows this set to work. Stored Power reaches a frighteningly high Base Power after enough boosts are accrued, allowing Espeon to sweep late-game. Morning Sun is used to keep Espeon healthy, as it is passed to often throughout the match. Substitute can be used in case a teammate's Substitute is broken, but cutting down on Espeon's health is rarely a good idea. Dazzling Gleam hits the Dark-types immune to Stored Power for super effective damage, particularly Sableye, the greatest enemy to Baton Pass teams.

Set Details
========

Max Defense and HP investment is run as Espeon needs to be as bulky as possible in order to switch into opposing Pokemon, with the goal of bouncing back phazing moves or Taunt. Similarly, Leftovers is the preferred item as it allows Espeon to remain healthy without relying too much on Morning Sun.

Usage Tips
========

This set is only useful on dedicated Baton Pass teams. Espeon is by far the most useful Pokemon on any full Baton Pass team, and is in fact what makes such teams viable. Espeon has two crucial roles on full Baton Pass teams. The most important of these roles stems from Espeon's immunity to moves that would otherwise stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks, which include Whirlwind, Taunt, Roar, and Encore. The second role it plays is that of a sweeper, as Stored Power is ridiculously strong after a few boosts and is even capable of destroying Pokemon that resist it. Only attempt to sweep when Espeon has enough boosts, particularly in Speed, Defense, and Special Defense, as it might end up having to take multiple priority hits. Baton Pass to Espeon whenever you predict a phazing move, Taunt, or Encore is on the way, as it is nearly impossible to recover after being hit by one of these moves. Be sure to have a Substitute up always, as it is the only way to protect Espeon and its teammates from critical hits. It also blocks status-inducing moves and Leech Seed. As a general rule, don't let Espeon get KOed, as it's crucial to its team's success.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is nearly mandatory on Baton Pass teams, as it can reliably pass Speed boosts and can pass Defense boosts with Iron Defense. Mr. Mime is another important Pokemon, as it is immune to Perish Song, and has handy immunities to Roar, Dragon Tail, and Bug Buzz. Mr. Mime is far from useless outside of its immunities, though, as it can Baton Pass Calm Mind boosts and Substitutes, and has access to the ever-handy Encore. Vaporeon can be a good partner, as it has a useful immunity to Water-type moves, can boost its Defense with Acid Armor, has great defensive stats, and possesses a good typing. Mew has a plethora of boosting moves, including Calm Mind, Iron Defense, and most notably, Amnesia. Celebi has a useful defensive typing and access to Calm Mind, though its multitude of common weaknesses can hold it back, especially its weakness to Flying-type attacks. Zapdos has a great typing and can boost with Charge or Agility. Scizor is a very helpful teammate as it is great at defeating Unaware Clefable, which otherwise laughs at Baton Pass teams, and can boost with Iron Defense and Swords Dance. Mawile is the only Pokemon in the game with the combination of Intimidate and Baton Pass, has a fantastic typing, and can pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts. Smeargle can learn every move in the game, but Ingrain is the only reason to use it, as the move gives the entire team an incredibly useful immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, decreasing the pressure on Espeon and Mr. Mime. Furthermore, it has a handy health-restoring effect. However, Smeargle has pitiful bulk and is very match-up dependent, as it is completely useless against common leads such as Deoxys-D.

Dual Screens
########
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Light Screen
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Yawn / Psychic / Psyshock
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Espeon can support sweepers weak to Stealth Rock with Light Screen, Reflect, and Magic Bounce, giving them a much easier time setting up and keeping entry hazards off the field. Baton Pass is useful because it maintains momentum and helps to make the most of the eight turns that Light Screen and Reflect last. It also allows Espeon to escape Pursuit from the likes of Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Baton Pass to surprise and OHKO unsuspecting Bisharp, but it has little use otherwise. Yawn might sound gimmicky at first, but it is great for forcing switches and allowing a sweeper to come in for free. It also prevents Espeon from becoming setup fodder. Espeon can also run Psychic for a STAB attack to defend itself with. However, Espeon is fairly weak without investment or a boosting item, so the move isn't all that useful. Additionally, if Espeon does not run Yawn, there is little reason to use it over Deoxys-S. Psyshock hits special walls harder than Psychic does, but Espeon cannot deal much damage to defensive Pokemon due to its lack of power.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment makes full use of Espeon's good Speed stat, allowing it outspeed threats like Keldeo and Terrakion. Max HP gives Espeon much-needed bulk, important for setting up screens. Light Clay is a must as it extends the number of turns that Light Screen and Reflect are active.

Usage Tips
========

It is usually best to lead with Espeon in order to get dual screens up as early as possible, especially against teams with Deoxys-D or Deoxys-S. However, Espeon can switch in on Pokemon that are hazard setters or can't do much to it and proceed to set up screens. It is usually best to set up Reflect first, as it patches up Espeon's pathetic Defense stat and generally allows it to set up both screens much more easily. After screens have been set up, immediately switch or Baton Pass to a sweeper in order to take advantage of them. If the opposing Pokemon threatens to set up on Espeon, Yawn can be used to force it out and gain momentum with Baton Pass or an opportunity to set up. It is often better to use Yawn and let Espeon faint after setting up screens than keep it around, as this way you can maintain momentum much more easily.

Team Options
========

This set should be used in conjunction with setup sweepers weak to Stealth Rock to give them an easy time setting up. However, if Espeon's partners are not weak to Stealth Rock, Deoxys-S is a much better dual screens setter. Mega Charizard X abhors Stealth Rock and is fairly bulky, so it is a good teammate for this set. Mega Pinsir, Bulk Up Talonflame, Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Volcarona are also good partners for the same reasons. Keldeo is a good partner for this set because it can easily deal with the Dark-types that often switch in on Espeon. Terrakion is similar in this regard and loves getting a Justified boost when it switches into a Dark-type move.

Other Options
########

Espeon can run an offensive set, but it faces harsh competition from a plethora of other Psychic-types, mainly Deoxys-S, Latios, and Alakazam, all of which outclass offensive Espeon for one reason or another. In addition, such a set is easily walled by common Pokemon and fares even worse against Espeon's usual checks and counters. Because it has such glaring flaws and is outclassed by so many Pokemon, offensive Espeon is rarely, if ever, worth using. While a Calm Mind set may seem appealing at first due to Espeon's good Special Attack and Speed stats as well as its immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, it is actually a terrible option. Calm Mind Espeon struggles against many common opponents due to its awful physical bulk, bad defensive typing, and susceptibility to nearly every common form of priority in the OU tier.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, particularly Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, and Greninja, are a huge issue for Espeon, as they can easily KO Espeon with their strong STAB moves. In addition, they are immune to Stored Power and can impede Espeon's sweep. However, many of them take quite a bit of damage from a boosted Dazzling Gleam.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash crumbles Espeon with little effort. It can OHKO with Shadow Ball, 2HKO with Shadow Sneak, and trap Espeon with Pursuit. Aegislash also takes very little damage from any of Espeon's attacks save for a highly boosted Stored Power.

**Scizor**: Scizor can easily come in on Espeon and gain momentum or flat-out OHKO it with U-turn. It can also pick off a weakened Espeon with Bullet Punch.

**Physical Attackers**: Espeon has awful physical bulk, so most physical attackers can easily 2HKO or even OHKO it with a neutral STAB move. Examples include Talonflame, Garchomp, and Excadrill. Additionally, Baton Pass teams as a whole struggle when pressured by powerful attackers such as Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Heracross, the latter of which can bypass Substitutes with its multi-hit moves.

**Prankster Taunt**: While they obviously don't beat Espeon itself, Prankster Taunt users such as Thundurus and Sableye are a huge problem for Baton Pass teams.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slash Yawn first on the last slot of the DS set, it's Espeon's best bet at not becoming set up bait and forcing switches.

Offensive Espeon is underrated. While the CM set set is rather mediocre, a Specs set with the typical 252/252/4 EV spread in Speed SP.ATK and HP 2HKOs anything that is not specially defensive. Its pretty much acts like Choiced Latios but with the benefit of Magic Bounce. A Timid nature makes Espeon as fast as and as strong as Timid Latios. Espeon also gets Dazzling Gleam in this Gen for a really nice coverage and Shadow Ball now hits Steel types hard. So basically its Latias+Magic Bounce in a way, while it does not have STAB Draco Meteor or the resistances/immunities the dragon type Pokemon have.

Notable moves:
-Psychic/shock
-Shadow Ball
-HP Fire/Ice
-Dazzling Gleam

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
No, offensive espeon is definitely overrated considering it's

a) Garbage
b) high in usage

What do you get when you take an offensive psychic that cant scratch Tyranitar, Heatran, AEgislash, and other incredibly important pokemon in the metagame and try and do damage with it? Garbage.

a) Garbage
b) high in usage

What do you get when you take an offensive psychic that cant scratch Tyranitar, Heatran, AEgislash, and other incredibly important pokemon in the metagame and try and do damage with it? Garbage.
Espeon doesn't have the greatest movepool in the world, but Tyranitar, Heatran, and Aegislash check or counter MOST psychic types. Espeon's stats are perfect for a sweeper, so it's not outrageous to use it like one. I'm not saying it's the best set in the world, or that it even needs to be included as a main set, just that it's not garbage and is certainly worthy of discussion.

As for the defensive sets, I don't think it makes much sense to not consider running Morning Sun on the screens set. If you are going to give it bulky stats, a recovery move can be very useful. With the weather nerf and increased use of sun relative to other weather, Morning Sun isn't nearly the liability it was last gen. It could work slashed with HP Fire and BP, or in this bulky screens set.

move 3: Morning Sun
move 4: Psychic/Psyshock

For the BP set, from my experience Espeon is far superior offensively with Calm Mind than defensively. With offensive stats, Stored Power becomes much more dangerous much more quickly, and running Calm Mind takes advantage of the switchouts Magic Bounce causes. Something along the lines of

move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Stored Power
move 4: Dazzling Gleam/HP Fight
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

It might work well as a final recipient w/o BP, but I haven't actually tried that, so I can't say much about its merits.

But that's just my 2 cents

a) Garbage
b) high in usage

As mentioned before, Espeon has respectably high Special Attack that should not be underestimated, combine that with a Choice Specs and Heatran/Aegislash wont appreciate switching into a Shadow Ball every now and then if you predict right. Combine that with entry hazards, and you're set! Not only it does pack a punch against nothing that resist/immune to its moves, but it also applies offensive pressure on your opponent by making them think twice before trying to set up an entry hazard and again, continuous switching to a boosted move like Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam is not appreciated. Life Orb can be used instead of Specs for more versatility too, and Moonlight for recovery (although Espeon does not appreciate to lose coverage). Compare it to Latios again, look at how many good and important Fairy (also Steel) Types are there. And yet its still very powerful. Now yes of course Latios outclasses Espeon in every single aspect but its one thing that makes Espeon unique, Magic Bounce.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Look, offensive Espeon has been discussed and rejected by the QC team. It is NOT getting a set for...basically what Ash Borer said.

Also, the BP set is only for FULL BATON PASS TEAMS. Offensive CM Espeon is not even worth talking about, there's no reason.

Look, offensive Espeon has been discussed and rejected by the QC team. It is NOT getting a set for...basically what Ash Borer said.

Also, the BP set is only for FULL BATON PASS TEAMS. Offensive CM Espeon is not even worth talking about, there's no reason.
Fine then. Oh and I know that Offensive CM is not a thing but Baton Pass at the end of the day is a more of a gimmick. And yes gimmicks work sometimes, I''m not against it or anything but just explaining myself.

Fine then. Oh and I know that Offensive CM is not a thing but Baton Pass at the end of the day is a more of a gimmick. And yes gimmicks work sometimes, I''m not against it or anything but just explaining myself.
No, Baton Pass is not a gimmick, it is a playstyle, like VoltTurn or Rain Stall or Hyper Offense or w/e. Espeon is the reason why Baton Pass teams work, and therefore it is the main set. Offensive CM is bad because Espeon rarely finds setup opportunities, it is weak to extremely common threats, and it is more or less outclassed by Latias which has a better typing and better bulk.

The Offensive CM set I made was meant FOR BP teams. It's just an offensive set for BP teams rather than a defensive set, because, like I said, it gets very dangerous with fewer boosts.

The Offensive CM set I made was meant FOR BP teams. It's just an offensive set for BP teams rather than a defensive set, because, like I said, it gets very dangerous with fewer boosts.
BP teams rely on Espeon to switch into all sorts of moves, such as Taunt, Whirlwind, Encore, Roar, etc. A defensive spread is the only way to go, really.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yawn should be used with Baton Pass not slashed with it. This way, you can force switches and capitalize on them with Baton Pass to get the right sweeper safely in. So, Baton Pass + Yawn should be the first slashed on the last two slots.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
is a set without attacks viable? it seems kind of obtuse to use a poke that can't damagr the opponent in any way if sleep clause is active

Actually, I'd like to propose that the Dual Screens be removed entirely. (As in moved to OO) The reason is that it's completely outclassed by Deoxys-S and, to a lesser extent, Klefki. Yes, Espeon's Magic Bounce can prevent entry hazards from being set up and it can prevent Defog from removing its screens. However, Deoxys-S can do this too with Taunt, and it also has access to Stealth Rock. It is also much faster, more unpredictable, and physically bulkier, while Klefki has a much better typing and access to Spikes. Yes, it does have small advantages over the others, but not enough to make it main set worthy. I've talked to a few other users on IRC (Jukain, Icecream, and Gary2346) and they all felt the same way.

However, Jukain said that because Espeon is OU, unlike Mr. Mime, it should have a set that is not BP, which is a very niche playstyle. I definitely disagree on this. Unlike say, Donphan, which would not have an analysis if it were not OU, Espeon would be worthy of an analysis if it were not OU because of Baton Pass. I think that if Espeon has a set where it is not outclassed, but only one, this should be the only set to actually receive an analysis. Pokemon such as Donphan and Blissey, on the other hand, need an unviable / completely outclassed set on their analysis in order to actually have an analysis at all. Espeon does not, so I really don't see the reason to include an unviable / completely outclassed set on its analysis.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
is a set without attacks viable? it seems kind of obtuse to use a poke that can't damagr the opponent in any way if sleep clause is active
agreeing with this.

i don't feel that strongly on ds getting a set; i'll leave that up to the majority here. i think ds is actually kinda viable, too, upon thinking about it. just count me as for it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
The purpose of DS Espeon is not to attack anyway. It's to set up screens one or at best two times, pressure the opponent with Yawn to get an advantageous match-up, and then use Baton Pass to bring in the right sweeper. If the opponent left his Pokemon in to sleep guess what, you got a completely free turn for your set up sweeper and have both screens up, which is a huge advantage.

And i really can't help it but think that the people that compare Espeon with Deo-S and Klefki haven't really tried DS Espeon with Yawn + Baton Pass out. You use Espeon over Deo-S so that sweepers such as DD Dragonite, SD Talonflame, DD Mega Gyarados, etc, can safely come in to set up after you have set up screens without having to worry about SR. Deo-S has Taunt yeah, but let's not act as if it's not taking a risk when trying to Taunt SR users. Support Tyranitar, SD + SR Garchomp, Deo-D, SR Landorus, and SR Mamoswine all can OHKO/2HKO Deo-S or stop it with Magic Coat / Mental Herb, which means that with one wrong prediction, Deo-S may end up not even getting SR up if it goes for Taunt. Furthermore, Espeon can also switch in at the middle of the battle to stop SR from getting up, and with her great Speed, setting up one last screen or forcing a switch with Yawn is not hard at all to do. Of course, countering both Deo-S and Deo-D is also a huge advantage.

And Klefki? Come on. Not saying that Espeon is better (it isn't), but they function so differently as screeners they are not even comparable.

So, while DS Espeon is not a great set in any way, it's definitely viable and deserves to be a main set.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Overview

Mention what differentiates DS Espeon over DS Deoxys-S, namely being more reliable at keeping hazards off the field, being immune to the screen removing effect of Defog, and checking / countering both Deo-D and Deo-S.

Dual Screens

On the DS set, elaborate on Yawn + Baton Pass's usefulness. It prevents Espeon from becoming set up bait for set up sweepers, and allows Espeon to scout the switch in with Baton Pass in order to bring in the right teammate unscathed. It is also a pro that Espeon has over Deoxys-S.

In the usage tips, mention that after Espeon sets up both screens, it is often better to just use Yawn and get KOed, as it means your sweeper has one free turn to set up on an advantageous match-up and with screens up. If you still need Espeon to check Deo-S and Deo-D however, just get out with Baton Pass.

Add BU Talonflame and DD Dragonite as good partners to DS Espeon.

Checks and Counters

I would specifically mention Mega Heracross, Choice Band Staraptor, and Mega Gardevoir / Specs Sylveon, as they all can lead vs Scolipede and pressure a lot dedicated Baton Pass teams from turn one. Mega Heracross, Sylveon, and Mega Gardevoir can bypass Substitutes and are all really powerful, while Staraptor is just unwallable without a Mawile or a Zapdos on your team.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Additions
Removals
Comments

This is an amateur check.

This is the edited version.
Overview
########

Espeon is, in a word, outclassed. Nearly every role Espeon can fulfill, another Pokemon can do better. Espeon's main competitor is Deoxys-S, which is better than Espeon in for both offensive and supporting roles, boasting much higher Speed, superior coverage, and access to Stealth Rock. Magic Bounce is a good ability, but Espeon struggles to make good use of it because of its frailty and bad defensive typing. However, Espeon does still have its uses in the OU metagame. It is great at shutting down Deoxys-D and other hyper offense leads, while also being able to prevent Stealth Rock from going up without wasting a turn using Taunt; it also makes an entire playstyle viable in full Baton Pass, Baton Pass teams viable with as Magic Bounce is a necessity for these teams. All in all, while there is generally very little reason to use Espeon in OU, it still manages to carve itself a small niche (as?).

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========

With Light Screen, and Reflect, in addition to and Magic Bounce, let Espeon supports Stealth Rock weak sweepers weak to Stealth Rock by giving them a much easier time setting up and keeping entry hazards off the field, giving these sweepers an easier opportunity to set up. Baton Pass is useful because it maintains momentum, which is important in order to make and makes the most of the 8 turns that Light Screen and Reflect last; it also allows Espeon to escape Pursuit from the likes of Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash unscathed. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Baton Pass to surprise and OHKO unsuspecting Bisharp, but it has little use otherwise. Yawn may sound gimmicky at first, but it is great for forcing switches, and allowing a sweeper to come in for free. It also prevents and preventing Espeon from being setup fodder. Psychic can be used to gives Espeon a STAB attack so it has a way of defending itself to defend itself with; however, Espeon is fairly weak without investment or a boosting item, so the move it isn't all that useful. Additionally, without Yawn, Espeon has even less of a reason to be used over Deoxys-S. (moving this to the final part of the paragraph to help with flow) Psyshock hits special walls harder than Psychic does, but Espeon cannot deal much damage to defensive Pokemon regardless since it is rather weak anyways, given its lack of power. Additionally, without Yawn, Espeon has even less of a reason to be used over Deoxys-S.

Set Details
========

Max Speed investment makes full use of Espeon's good Speed tier stat, which lets letting it outspeed threats such as Keldeo and Terrakion. Max HP gives Espeon the much-needed bulk, which is important for setting to set up screens. Light Clay is a must as it extends is needed to extend the number of turns that Light Screen and Reflect last. are active.

Usage Tips
========

It is usually best to lead with Espeon in order to get Dual Screens up as early as possible, especially against teams with Deoxys-D; however, you can also switch Espeon in on hazard setters or Pokemon that can't do much to it and proceed to set up screens. It is usually best to set up Reflect first, as Espeon's Defense stat is pathetic and easily taken advantage of. This to improve Espeon's pathetic Defense stat and allows Espeon to set up both screens much more easily with less difficulty. After both screens have been set up, immediately switch or Baton Pass to a sweeper in order to make the most of the few turns of screens you have. If the opposing Pokemon threatens to set up on Espeon, you can use Yawn to force it out and gain momentum with Baton Pass or an opportunity to set up. It is often better to use Yawn and let Espeon faint after setting up screens than keeping to keep it around, as this way allowing you can to maintain momentum with greater ease. much more easily.

Team Options
========

This set should be used with setup sweepers weak to Stealth Rock in order to give them an easy time setting up. This set should only be used with sweepers that are weak to Stealth Rock, as and not to be otherwise outclassed by Deoxys-S is otherwise a much better Dual Screens setter. Sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Talonflame with Bulk Up, and Dragonite with Dragon Dance abhors Stealth Rock and is are already fairly bulky (not so sure about Mega Pinsir/Talonflame being bulky, so this phrase may be unnecessary), so they appreciate the dual screens and Magic Bounce support. it is a good teammates to this set. Mega Pinsir, Bulk Up Talonflame, Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Volcarona are also good partners for the same reasons. Keldeo and Terrakion is a are good partners to this set because it they can easily switch in on the Dark-types that switch in on threaten Espeon; Terrakion especially is similar in this regard and loves getting a the Justified boost from switching into a Dark-type move.

Baton Pass
########

Moves
========

Baton Pass is obviously mandatory, as it is what even allows making this set to work in the first place. Stored Power reaches a frighteningly high base power after a lot of boosts, which lets letting Espeon sweep late game. Morning Sun is used to keeps Espeon healthy, as it needs to be able to switch in on a moment's notice. Substitute can be used in case Espeon's a teammate's Substitute gets broken, but cutting this cuts down on Espeon's health, which is rarely never a good idea for any reason. Dazzling Gleam hits the Dark-types that are immune to Stored Power super effectively for super effective damage, particularly Sableye, the greatest enemy to Baton Pass teams.

Set Details
========

Max Defense and HP are used because Espeon needs to be as healthy as possible at all times in order to be able switch into phazing moves or Taunts. Similarly, Leftovers is the preferred item because they it allows Espeon to remain healthy without relying too much on Morning Sun.

Usage Tips
========

This set is only useful on dedicated Baton Pass teams. Espeon is by far the most useful Pokemon on any full Baton Pass team, and is in fact what makes really making such teams viable in the first place. Espeon has two crucial roles on full Baton Pass teams: The most important of these roles stems from Espeon's immunity to moves which would otherwise stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks. These include protecting against moves harmful to Baton Pass teams like Whirlwind, Taunt, Roar, and Encore; and The second role Espeon plays on Baton Pass teams is that of being a sweeper. Stored Power is ridiculously strong after a few boosts and is even capable of destroying even Pokemon that resist it; however, only attempt to sweep when you have enough boosts, partcularly particularly in Speed, Defense, and Special Defense, since Espeon may end up having to take multiple priority hits as it attempts to sweep. so making sure it can survive them is crucial. Baton Pass to Espeon whenever you predict a phazing move such as Taunt, or Encore. This is very important because if one of these moves hits, since, if they hit, recovering from it is nearly impossible as it essentially forces you to start the match over. Always be sure to have a Substitute up, as it is the only way in order to protect Espeon and its teammates from critical hits, as it also blocks status-inducing moves and Leech Seed. Whatever you do, Lastly, don't let Espeon die. faint since it is crucial to the team's success. It's just too important. Losing Espeon nearly always results in a loss, whereas losing any other Pokemon can still be recovered from.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is nearly mandatory on Baton Pass teams. It is by far the best Pokemon to pass Speed boosts with, and it can also pass and possible Defense boosts with Iron Defense. Mr. Mime is another near-required Pokemon. It is being the only hope Baton Pass teams have of beating Perish Song; Mr. Mime is also conveniently immune . It also has handy immunities to Roar, Dragon Tail, and Bug Buzz, moves that all threaten Baton Pass teams. Mr. Mime is far from useless outside of its immunities, though. It Mr. Mime can also Baton Pass Calm Mind boosts and Substitutes, while it also has easily by way of the ever-handy Encore, which is great for setting up on one of Mr. Mime's many immunities. Vaporeon is a welcome addition since it has a useful immunity to Water-type moves, and can boost Defense with Acid Armor. It also has and has great defensive stats and a good typing, so it is useful for walling certain threats. Mew has a plethora of boosting moves, the most notable of which is the rare most notably Amnesia,. It also has with additional access to Calm Mind and Iron Defense, though these aren't exactly hard moves to fit on other Pokemon. Celebi has a useful defensive typing and access to Calm Mind, though its many common weaknesses can hold it back, particularly its weakness to Flying-type attacks (how can it have good defensive typing and have many common weaknesses?). Zapdos has a great typing and can boost with Charge or Agility. Scizor is a very helpful teammate as it is great at defeating Unaware Clefable, which otherwise laughs at Baton Pass teams. It and can also boost with Iron Defense or Swords Dance. Mawile is the only Pokemon in the game with the combination of Intimidate and Baton Pass;. It has with a its fantastic typing and it can also pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts. Smeargle can learn every move in the game, but the only one that makes it worth using over other Pokemon is Ingrain is the only reason to use it, which gives giving the entire team an incredibly useful immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, which greatly lessens lessening the pressure on Espeon and Mr. Mime to block these moves; it also has a handy health-restoring effect; however, Smeargle has pitiful bulk and is very matchup dependent, as it is completely useless against common leads such as Deoxys-D.

Other Options
########

Espeon can run an offensive set (consisting of?), but it faces harsh competition from a plethora of other Psychic-types, mainly Deoxys-S, Latios, and Alakazam, all of which outclass offensive Espeon for one reason or another. In addition, such a set is very easily walled by common Pokemon and fares even worse against Espeon's usual checks and counters. Because it has such glaring flaws, and is outclassed by so many Pokemon, offensive Espeon is rarely, if ever, worth using. Espeon has access to Calm Mind. While this it may seem appealing that Espeon has access to Calm Mind at first because of Espeon's good Special Attack and Speed stats, in addition to and its immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, it is actually a terrible option for Espeon. This is because as a result of Espeon's its awful Physical bulk, bad defensive typing, and susceptibility to nearly every common form of priority in the OU tier, preventing its ability to sweep. Because of this, in addition to the fact that Calm Mind Espeon still struggles against many very common and good Pokemon, Espeon will rarely, if ever, be able to sweep against skilled opponents.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, particularly Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, and Greninja, are a huge issue for Espeon. The main reason is that as they can all easily knock Espeon out with a strong STAB move. The other reason is that they Dark-types are also immune to Stored Power, so they can easily impede Espeon's sweep; however, many of them take quite a bit of damage from a boosted Dazzling Gleam.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash crumbles Espeon with little effort. It OHKOes it with Shadow Ball, and 2HKOes with Shadow Sneak. It and can also trap Espeon with Pursuit. Aegislash takes very little from any of Espeon's attacks save for a greatly boosted Stored Power.

**Scizor**: Scizor can easily come in on Espeon and gain momentum off of it or flat-out OHKO it with U-turn. It can also pick off a weakened Espeon with Bullet Punch.

**Physical attackers**: Espeon has awful physical bulk, so most common physical attackers like Talonflame, Garchomp and Excadrill can easily 2HKO it with a neutal neutral STAB move. Examples include Talonflame, Garchomp, and Excadrill. Additionally, Baton Pass Teams as a whole struggle when put under a lot of the pressure by of obscenely powerful attackers such as Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Heracross, the latter of which can bypass Substitutes with its multi-hit moves.

**Prankster Taunt**: While they obviously don't can't beat Espeon themselves itself, Prankster Taunt users such as Thundurus and Sableye are a huge problem for Baton Pass (The Baton Pass set or Baton Pass teams? or both?).

This is the copy-paste.
Overview

########

Espeon is, in a word, outclassed. Nearly every role Espeon can fulfill, another Pokemon can do better. Espeon's main competitor is Deoxys-S, which is better for both offensive and supporting roles, boasting much higher Speed, superior coverage, and access to Stealth Rock. Magic Bounce is a good ability, but Espeon struggles to make good use of it because of its frailty and bad defensive typing. However, Espeon does still have its uses in the OU metagame. It is great at shutting down Deoxys-D and other hyper offense leads, while also being able to prevent Stealth Rock from going up without using Taunt;it also makes Baton Pass teams viable with Magic Bounce. All in all, while there is generally little reason to use Espeon in OU, it still manages to carve itself a small niche.

Dual Screens

########

Moves

========

With Light Screen, Reflect, and Magic Bounce, Espeon supports sweepers weak to Stealth Rock by keeping entry hazards off the field, giving these sweepers an easier opportunity to set up. Baton Pass is useful because it maintains momentum, and makes the most of the 8 turns that Light Screen and Reflect last; it also allows Espeon to escape Pursuit from the likes of Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Baton Pass to surprise and OHKO unsuspecting Bisharp, but has little use otherwise. Yawn may sound gimmicky at first, but it is great for forcing switches, allowing a sweeper to come in for free and preventing Espeon from being setup fodder. Psychic gives Espeon a STAB attack to defend itself with; however, Espeon is fairly weak without investment or a boosting item, so it isn't all that useful. Psyshock hits special walls harder than Psychic, but Espeon cannot deal much damage to defensive Pokemon anyways, given its lack of power. Additionally, without Yawn, Espeon has even less of a reason to be used over Deoxys-S.

Set Details

========

Max Speed investment makes full use of Espeon's good Speed stat, letting it outspeed threats such as Keldeo and Terrakion. Max HP gives Espeon the much-needed bulk to set up screens. Light Clay is needed to extend the number of turns that Light Screen and Reflect last.

Usage Tips

========

It is usually best to lead with Espeon in order to get Dual Screens up as early as possible, especially against teams with Deoxys-D; however, you can also switch Espeon in on hazard setters or Pokemon that can't do much to it and set up screens. It is usually best to set up Reflect first to improve Espeon's pathetic Defense stat and allow Espeon to set up both screens with less difficulty. After both screens have been set up, immediately switch or Baton Pass to a sweeper to make the most of the few turns of screens you have. If the opposing Pokemon threatens to set up on Espeon, use Yawn to force it out and gain momentum with Baton Pass or an opportunity to set up. It is often better to use Yawn and let Espeon faint after setting up screens than to keep it around, allowing you to maintain momentum with greater ease.

Team Options

========

This set should be used with setup sweepers weak to Stealth Rock in order to give them an easy time setting up and not to be otherwise outclassed by Deoxys-S. Sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, Volcarona, Talonflame with Bulk Up, and Dragonite with Dragon Dance abhor Stealth Rock and are already fairly bulky, so they appreciate the dual screens and Magic Bounce support. Keldeo and Terrakion are good partners to this set because they can easily switch in on the Dark-types that threaten Espeon; Terrakion especially loves getting the Justified boost from switching into a Dark-type move.

Baton Pass

########

Moves

========

Baton Pass is mandatory, making this set work in the first place. Stored Power reaches a frighteningly high base power after a lot of boosts, letting Espeon sweep late game. Morning Sun keeps Espeon healthy, as it needs to be able to switch in on a moment's notice. Substitute can be used in case a teammate's Substitute gets broken, but this cuts down on Espeon's health, which is never a good idea. Dazzling Gleam hits the Dark-types immune to Stored Power for super effective damage, particularly Sableye, the greatest enemy to Baton Pass teams.

Set Details

========

Max Defense and HP are used because Espeon needs to be as healthy as possible at all times in order to be able switch into phazing moves or Taunts. Similarly, Leftovers is the preferred item because it allows Espeon to remain healthy without relying too much on Morning Sun.

Usage Tips

========

This set is only useful on dedicated Baton Pass teams. Espeon is by far the most useful Pokemon on any full Baton Pass team, really making such teams viable in the first place. Espeon has two crucial roles on full Baton Pass teams: protecting against moves harmful to Baton Pass teams like Whirlwind, Taunt, Roar, and Encore; and being a sweeper. Stored Power is ridiculously strong after a few boosts and is even capable of destroying Pokemon that resist it; however, only attempt to sweep when you have enough boosts, particularly in Speed, Defense, and Special Defense, since Espeon may end up having to take multiple priority hits as it attempts to sweep. Baton Pass to Espeon whenever you predict a phazing move such as Taunt or Encore, since, if they hit, recovering is nearly impossible. Always be sure to have a Substitute up in order to protect Espeon and its teammates from critical hits, as it also blocks status-inducing moves and Leech Seed. Lastly, don't let Espeon faint since it is crucial to the team's success.

Team Options

========

Scolipede is nearly mandatory on Baton Pass teams. It is by far the best Pokemon to pass Speed boosts and possible Defense boosts. Mr. Mime is another near-required Pokemon, being the only hope Baton Pass teams have of beating Perish Song; Mr. Mime is also conveniently immune to Roar, Dragon Tail, and Bug Buzz, moves that all threaten Baton Pass teams. Mr. Mime can also Baton Pass Calm Mind boosts and Substitutes easily by way of Encore. Vaporeon is a welcome addition since it has a useful immunity to Water-type moves, can boost Defense with Acid Armor, and has great defensive stats and a good typing. Mew has a plethora of boosting moves, most notably Amnesia, with additional access to Calm Mind and Iron Defense, though these aren't exactly hard moves to fit on other Pokemon. Celebi has a useful defensive typing and access to Calm Mind, though its many common weaknesses can hold it back, particularly its weakness to Flying-type attacks. Zapdos has a great typing and can boost with Charge or Agility. Scizor is a very helpful teammate as it is great at defeating Unaware Clefable, which otherwise laughs at Baton Pass teams and can boost with Iron Defense or Swords Dance. Mawile is the only Pokemon in the game with the combination of Intimidate and Baton Pass; with its fantastic typing it can also pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts. Smeargle can learn every move in the game, but Ingrain is the only reason to use it, giving the entire team an incredibly useful immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, lessening the pressure on Espeon and Mr. Mime to block these moves; it also has a handy health-restoring effect; however, Smeargle has pitiful bulk and is very matchup dependent, as it is completely useless against common leads such as Deoxys-D.

Other Options

########

Espeon can run an offensive set, but it faces harsh competition from a plethora of other Psychic-types, mainly Deoxys-S, Latios, and Alakazam. In addition, such a set is easily walled by common Pokemon and fares even worse against Espeon's usual checks and counters. Because it has such glaring flaws, and is outclassed by so many Pokemon, offensive Espeon is rarely, if ever, worth using. While it may seem appealing that Espeon has access to Calm Mind because of its good Special Attack and Speed stats, and its immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, it is actually a terrible option for Espeon as a result of Espeon's awful Physical bulk, bad defensive typing, and susceptibility to nearly every common form of priority in the OU tier, preventing its ability to sweep.

Checks & Counters

########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, particularly Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, and Greninja, are a huge issue for Espeon as they can all easily knock Espeon out with a strong STAB move. Dark-types are also immune to Stored Power, so they can easily impede Espeon's sweep; however, many of them take quite a bit of damage from a boosted Dazzling Gleam.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash crumbles Espeon with little effort. It OHKOes with Shadow Ball, 2HKOes with Shadow Sneak and can trap Espeon with Pursuit. Aegislash takes very little from any of Espeon's attacks save a greatly boosted Stored Power.

**Scizor**: Scizor can easily come in on Espeon and gain momentum or flat-out OHKO it with U-turn. It can also pick off a weakened Espeon with Bullet Punch.

**Physical attackers**: Espeon has awful physical bulk, so common physical attackers like Talonflame, Garchomp and Excadrill can easily 2HKO it with a neutral STAB move. Additionally, Baton Pass Teams as a whole struggle under the pressure of obscenely powerful attackers such as Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Heracross, the latter of which can bypass Substitutes with its multi-hit moves.

**Prankster Taunt**: While they can't beat Espeon themselves, Prankster Taunt users such as Thundurus and Sableye are a huge problem for Baton Pass.

Last edited:

blitzlefan

shake it off!
As requested on IRC, here it is! Hope this helps! :)
Overview
########

Espeon is, in a word, outclassed. Nearly every role Espeon can fulfill, another Pokemon can do better. Espeon's main competitor is Deoxys-S, which is better in both offensive and supportive roles, boasting much higher Speed, superior coverage, and access to Stealth Rock. Magic Bounce is a solid ability, but Espeon struggles to make good use of it because of its frailty and bad defensive typing. However, Espeon has its uses in the OU metagame. It is great at shutting down Deoxys-D and other hyper offense leads, and can prevent Stealth Rock from going up by simply being on the field. It also makes Baton Pass teams viable with its ability. All in all, while there is generally very little reason to use Espeon in OU, it still manages to carve itself a small niche.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========

Espeon can support sweepers weak to Stealth Rock with Light Screen, Reflect, and Magic Bounce, giving them a much easier time setting up and keeping entry hazards off the field. Baton Pass is useful because it maintains momentum and helps to make the most of the eight turns that Light Screen and Reflect last. It also allows Espeon to escape Pursuit from the likes of Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Baton Pass to surprise and OHKO unsuspecting Bisharp, but it has little use otherwise. Yawn may sound gimmicky at first, but it is great for forcing switches and allowing a sweeper to come in for free. It also prevents Espeon from becoming setup fodder. Espeon can run Psychic for a STAB attack to defend itself with. However, Espeon is fairly weak without investment or a boosting item, so the move isn't all that useful. Additionally, if Espeon does not run Yawn, there is little reason to use it over Deoxys-S. Psyshock hits special walls harder than Psychic does, but Espeon cannot deal much damage to defensive Pokemon due to its lack of power.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment makes full use of Espeon's good Speed stat, allowing it outspeed threats such as Keldeo and Terrakion. Max HP gives Espeon much-needed bulk, important for setting up screens. Light Clay is a must as it extends the number of turns that Light Screen and Reflect are active.

Usage Tips
========

It is usually best to lead with Espeon in order to get dual screens up as early as possible, especially against teams with Deoxys-D. However, Espeon can switch in on hazard setters or Pokemon that can't do much to it and proceed to set up screens. It is usually best to set up Reflect first, as it patches up Espeon's pathetic Defense stat and allows Espeon to set up both screens much more easily. After screens have been set up, immediately switch or Baton Pass to a sweeper in order to take advantage of them. If the opposing Pokemon threatens to set up on Espeon, Yawn can be used to force it out and gain momentum with Baton Pass or an opportunity to set up. It is often better to use Yawn and let Espeon faint after setting up screens than keep it around, as this way you can maintain momentum much more easily.

Team Options
========

This set should be used in conjunction with setup sweepers weak to Stealth Rock to give them an easy time setting up. However, if Espeon's partners are not weak to Stealth Rock, Deoxys-S is a much better dual screens setter. Mega Charizard X abhors Stealth Rock and is fairly bulky, so it is a good teammate for this set. Mega Pinsir, Bulk Up Talonflame, Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Volcarona are also good partners for the same reasons. Keldeo is a good partner for this set because it can easily deal with the Dark-types that often switch in on Espeon. Terrakion is similar in this regard and loves getting a Justified boost when it switches into a Dark-type move.

Baton Pass
########

Moves
========

Baton Pass is mandatory, as it is what allows this set to work. Stored Power reaches a frighteningly high Base Power after enough boosts are accrued, allowing Espeon to sweep late in the game. Morning Sun is used to keep Espeon healthy, as it needs to be able to switch in on a moment's notice. Substitute can be used in case a teammate's Substitute is broken, but cutting down on Espeon's health is rarely a good idea. Dazzling Gleam hits the Dark-types immune to Stored Power for super effective damage, particularly Sableye, the greatest enemy to Baton Pass teams.

Set Details
========

Max Defense and HP investment is run as Espeon needs to be as bulky as possible in order to switch into opposing Pokemon, with the goal of bouncing back phazing moves or Taunts. Similarly, Leftovers is the preferred item as it allows Espeon to remain healthy without relying too much on Morning Sun.

Usage Tips
========

This set is only useful on dedicated Baton Pass teams. Espeon is by far the most useful Pokemon on any full Baton Pass team, and is in fact what makes such teams viable. Espeon has two crucial roles on full Baton Pass teams. The most important of these roles stems from Espeon's immunity to moves that would otherwise stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks, which include Whirlwind, Taunt, Roar, and Encore. The second role it plays is that of a sweeper, as Stored Power is ridiculously strong after a few boosts and is even capable of destroying Pokemon that resist it. Only attempt to sweep when Espeon has enough boosts, particularly in Speed, Defense, and Special Defense, as it may end up having to take multiple priority hits. Baton Pass to Espeon whenever you predict a phazing move, Taunt, or Encore is on the way, as it is nearly impossible to recover after being hit by one of these moves. Be sure to always have a Substitute up, as it is the only way to protect Espeon and its teammates from critical hits. It also blocks status-inducing moves and Leech Seed. As a general rule, don't let Espeon get KOed, as it's crucial to its team's success.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is nearly mandatory on Baton Pass teams, as it can reliably pass Speed boosts and can pass Defense boosts with Iron Defense. Mr. Mime is another near-required Pokemon, as it is immune to Perish Song, and has handy immunities to Roar, Dragon Tail, and Bug Buzz. Mr. Mime is far from useless outside of its immunities, though, as it can Baton Pass Calm Mind boosts and Substitutes, and has access to the ever-handy Encore. Vaporeon can be a good partner, as it has a useful immunity to Water-type moves, can boost its Defense with Acid Armor, has great defensive stats, and possesses a good typing. Mew has a plethora of boosting moves, including Calm Mind, Iron Defense, and most notably, Amnesia. Celebi has a useful defensive typing and access to Calm Mind, though its multitude of common weaknesses can hold it back, especially its weakness to Flying-type attacks. Zapdos has a great typing and can boost with Charge or Agility. Scizor is a very helpful teammate as it is great at defeating Unaware Clefable, which otherwise laughs at Baton Pass teams, and can boost with Iron Defense and Swords Dance. Mawile is the only Pokemon in the game with the combination of Intimidate and Baton Pass, has a fantastic typing, and can pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts. Smeargle can learn every move in the game, but Ingrain is the only reason to use it, as the move gives the entire team an incredibly useful immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, decreasing the pressure on Espeon and Mr. Mime. Furthermore, it has a handy health-restoring effect. However, Smeargle has pitiful bulk and is very match-up dependent, as it is completely useless against common leads such as Deoxys-D.

Other Options
########

Espeon can run an offensive set, but it faces harsh competition from a plethora of other Psychic-types, mainly Deoxys-S, Latios, and Alakazam, all of which outclass offensive Espeon for one reason or another. In addition, such a set is easily walled by common Pokemon and fares even worse against Espeon's usual checks and counters. Because it has such glaring flaws and is outclassed by so many Pokemon, offensive Espeon is rarely, if ever, worth using. While a Calm Mind set may seem appealing at first due to Espeon's good Special Attack and Speed stats as well as its immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, it is actually a terrible option. Calm Mind Espeon struggles against many common opponents due to its awful physical bulk, bad defensive typing, and susceptibility to nearly every common form of priority in the OU tier.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, particularly Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, and Greninja, are a huge issue for Espeon, as they can easily KO Espeon with their strong STAB moves. In addition, they are immune to Stored Power and can impede Espeon's sweep. However, many of them take quite a bit of damage from a boosted Dazzling Gleam.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash crumbles Espeon with little effort. It can OHKO with Shadow Ball, 2HKO with Shadow Sneak, and trap Espeon with Pursuit. Aegislash takes very little damage from any of Espeon's attacks save for a greatly boosted Stored Power.

**Physical Attackers**: Espeon has awful physical bulk, so most physical attackers can easily 2HKO it with a neutral STAB move. Examples include Talonflame, Garchomp, and Excadrill. Additionally, Baton Pass teams as a whole struggle when pressured by powerful attackers such as Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Heracross, the latter of which can bypass Substitutes with its multi-hit moves.

**Prankster Taunt**: While they obviously don't beat Espeon itself, Prankster Taunt users such as Thundurus and Sableye are a huge problem for Baton Pass teams.

Overview
########

Espeon is, in a word, outclassed. Nearly every role Espeon can fulfill, another Pokemon can do better. Espeon's main competitor is Deoxys-S, which is better than Espeon in both offensive and supportive roles, boasting much higher Speed, superior coverage, and access to Stealth Rock. Magic Bounce is a goosolid ability, but Espeon struggles to make good use of it because of its frailty and bad defensive typing. However, Espeon does still haves its uses in the OU metagame. It is great at shutting down Deoxys-D and other hyper offense leads, while also being able toand can prevent Stealth Rock from going up without wastby simply being a turn using Taunton the field. It also makes Baton entire playstylePass teams viable in full Baton Pass, as Magic Bounce is a necesswith its ability for these teams. All in all, while there is generally very little reason to use Espeon in OU, it still manages to carve itself a small niche.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========

Espeon can support sweepers weak to Stealth Rock with Light Screen and, Reflect, in addition toand Magic Bounce, let Espeon support Stealth Rock weak sweepers by giving them a much easier time setting up and keeping entry hazards off the field. Baton Pass is useful because it maintains momentum, which is important in orderd helps to make the most of the 8eight turns that Light Screen and Reflect last. It also allows Espeon to escape Pursuit from the likes of Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash unscathed. Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Baton Pass to surprise and OHKO unsuspecting Bisharp, but it has little use otherwise. Yawn may sound gimmicky at first, but it is great for forcing switches and allowing a sweeper to come in for free. It also prevents Espeon from becoming setup fodder. PsychicEspeon can be used to give Espeonrun Psychic for a STAB attack so it has a way of defending itself with. However, Espeon is fairly weak without investment or a boosting item, so the move isn't all that useful. Additionally, withouif Espeon does not run Yawn, Espeon has even there is littless of a reason to be used it over Deoxys-S. Psyshock hits special walls harder than Psychic does, but Espeon cannot deal much damage to defensive Pokemon regardless sincedue to it is rather weaklack of power.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment makes full use of Espeon's good Speed tier, which letsstat, allowing it outspeed threats such as Keldeo and Terrakion. Max HP gives Espeon much-needed bulk, which is important for setting up screens. Light Clay is a must as it extends the number of turns that Light Screen and Reflect are active.

Usage Tips
========

It is usually best to lead with Espeon in order to get Ddual Sscreens up as early as possible, especially against teams with Deoxys-D. However, youEspeon can also switch Espeon in on hazard setters or Pokemon that can't do much to it and proceed to set up screens. It is usually best to set up Reflect first, as it patches up Espeon's Defense stat is pathetic and easily takenDefense stat andvantage of. This allows Espeon to set up both screens much more easily. After both screens have been set up, immediately switch or Baton Pass to a sweeper in order to mtake thadvantage most of the few turns of screens you havem. If the opposing Pokemon threatens to set up on Espeon, youYawn can be use Yawnd to force it out and gain momentum with Baton Pass or an opportunity to set up. It is often better to use Yawn and let Espeon faint after setting up screens than keeping it around, as this way you can maintain momentum much more easily.

Team Options
========

This set should be used in conjunction with setup sweepers in orderweak to Stealth Rock to give them an easy time setting up. This set should only be used with sweepers thatHowever, if Espeon's partners are not weak to Stealth Rock, as Deoxys-S is otherwise a much better Ddual Sscreens setter. Mega Charizard X abhors Stealth Rock and is already fairly bulky, so it is a good teammate tofor this set. Mega Pinsir, Bulk Up Talonflame, Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Volcarona are also good partners for the same reasons. Keldeo is a good partner tofor this set because it can easily sdeal witch in on the Dark-types that often switch in on Espeon. Terrakion is similar in this regard and loves getting a Justified boost fromwhen it switchinges into a Dark-type move.

Baton Pass
########

Moves
========

Baton Pass is obviously mandatory, as it is what even allows this set to work in the first place. Stored Power reaches a frighteningly high bBase pPower after a lot ofenough boosts are accrued, which letsallowing Espeon to sweep late in the game. Morning Sun is used to keep Espeon healthy, as it needs to be able to switch in on a moment's notice. Substitute can be used in case Espeon'sa teammate's Substitute getis broken, but cutting down on Espeon's health is rarely a good idea for any reason. Dazzling Gleam hits the Dark-types that are immune to Stored Power for super effectively damage, particularly Sableye, the greatest enemy to Baton Pass teams.

Set Details
========

Max Defense and HP are used becauseinvestment is run as Espeon needs to be as healthbulky as possible at all times in order to be able switch into opposing Pokemon, with the goal of bouncing back phazing moves or Taunts. Similarly, Leftovers is the preferred item because ithey allows Espeon to remain healthy without relying too much on Morning Sun.

Usage Tips
========

This set is only useful on dedicated Baton Pass teams. Espeon is by far the most useful Pokemon on any full Baton Pass team, and is in fact what makes such teams viable in the first place. Espeon has two crucial roles on full Baton Pass teams. The most important of these roles stems from Espeon's immunity to moves whichthat would otherwise stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks. These, which include Whirlwind, Taunt, Roar, and Encore. The second role Espeonit plays on Baton Pass teams is that of a sweeper., as Stored Power is ridiculously strong after a few boosts, and is even capable of destroying even Pokemon that resist it. Only attempt to sweep when youEspeon haves enough boosts, particularly in Speed, Defense, and Special Defense. Espeon, as it may end up having to take multiple priority hits as it attempts to sweep, so making sure it can survive them is crucial. Baton Pass to Espeon whenever you predict a phazing move, Taunt, or Encore. This is very important because if one of these moves hits, recovering from way, as it is nearly impossible as it essentially forces you to startto recover after being hit by one of these match over. Always bs. Be sure to always have a Substitute up, as it is the only way to protect Espeon and its teammates from critical hits. It also blocks status-inducing moves and Leech Seed. Whatever you doAs a general rule, don't let Espeon die. It's just too important. Losing Espeon nearly always results in a loss, wherget KOed, as it's crucial to its team's losing any other Pokemon can still be recovered fromsuccess.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is nearly mandatory on Baton Pass teams. It is by far the best Pokemon to, as it can reliably pass Speed boosts with, and it can also pass Defense boosts with Iron Defense. Mr. Mime is another near-required Pokemon. It is the only hope Baton Pass teams have of beating, as it is immune to Perish Song. It also, and has handy immunities to Roar, Dragon Tail, and Bug Buzz. Mr. Mime is far from useless outside of its immunities, though. I, as it can Baton Pass Calm Mind boosts and Substitutes, while it also hasand has access to the ever-handy Encore, which is great f. Vapor setting up on one of Mr. Mime's many immuncan be a good partner, as ities. Vaporeon has a useful immunity to Water-type moves and, can boost its Defense with Acid Armor. It also, has great defensive stats, and possesses a good typing, so it is useful for walling certain threats. Mew has a plethora of boosting moves, the most notable of which is the rare Amnesia. It also has access toincluding Calm Mind and, Iron Defense, though these aren't exactly hard moves to fit on other Pokemonably, Amnesia. Celebi has a useful defensive typing and access to Calm Mind, though its manyultitude of common weaknesses can hold it back, particularespecially its weakness to Flying-type attacks. Zapdos has a great typing and can boost with Charge or Agility. Scizor is a very helpful teammate as it is great at defeating Unaware Clefable, which otherwise laughs at Baton Pass teams. It can also, and can boost with Iron Defense orand Swords Dance. Mawile is the only Pokemon in the game with the combination of Intimidate and Baton Pass. It, has a fantastic typing, and it can pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts. Smeargle can learn every move in the game, but Ingrain is the only one that makes it worthreason to using over oe it, as ther Pokemon is Ingrain, whichve gives the entire team an incredibly useful immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, which gdecreatly lessenssing the pressure on Espeon and Mr. Mime to block . Furthese moves. It alsormore, it has a handy health-restoring effect. However, Smeargle has pitiful bulk and is very match-up dependent, as it is completely useless against common leads such as Deoxys-D.

Other Options
########

Espeon can run an offensive set, but it faces harsh competition from a plethora of other Psychic-types, mainly Deoxys-S, Latios, and Alakazam, all of which outclass offensive Espeon for one reason or another. In addition, such a set is very easily walled by common Pokemon and fares even worse against Espeon's usual checks and counters. Because it has such glaring flaws, and is outclassed by so many Pokemon, offensive Espeon is rarely, if ever, worth using. Espeon has access toWhile a Calm Mind. While this set may seem appealing at first becausdue tof Espeon's good Special Attack and Speed stats, in addition to as well as its immunity to Roar and Whirlwind, it is actually a terrible option for. Calm Mind Espeon. This is because of Espeon' struggles against many common opponents due to its awful Pphysical bulk, bad defensive typing, and susceptibility to nearly every common form of priority in the OU tier. Because of this, in addition to the fact that Calm Mind Espeon still struggles against many very common and good Pokemon, Espeon will rarely, if ever, be able to sweep against skilled opponents.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, particularly Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, and Greninja, are a huge issue for Espeon. The main re, ason is that they can easily knockKO Espeon out with atheir strong STAB moves. The other reasoIn is thaddition, they are immune to Stored Power, so they and can impede Espeon's sweep. However, many of them take quite a bit of damage from a boosted Dazzling Gleam.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash crumbles Espeon with little effort. It can OHKOes it with Shadow Ball and, 2HKOes with Shadow Sneak. It can also, and trap Espeon with Pursuit. Aegislash takes very little damage from any of Espeon's attacks save for a greatly boosted Stored Power.

**Scizor**: Scizor can easily come in on Espeon and gain momentum off of it or flat-out OHKO it with U-turn. It can also pick off a weakened Espeon with Bullet Punch.

**Physical aAttackers**: Espeon has awful physical bulk, so most physical attackers can easily 2HKO it with a neutral STAB move. Examples include Talonflame, Garchomp, and Excadrill. Additionally, Baton Pass Tteams as a whole struggle when put under a lot of pressure by obsceneld by powerful attackers such as Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Heracross, the latter of which can bypass Substitutes with its multi-hit moves.

GP 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)