3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

Only thing I see being used by the top players re always the same team (i.e. garchomp, mega lang, room-w, talonflame).
I wished there was something nintendo could do to make the 3v3 even remotely not-too centralizing.

Only thing I see being used by the top players re always the same team (i.e. garchomp, mega lang, room-w, talonflame).
I wished there was something nintendo could do to make the 3v3 even remotely not-too centralizing.
According to Global Link's new feature, in 3v3 Season 2, top most popular pokes are (in descending order) Garchomp, Aegislash, M-Kanga (let's face it, the stats tell you 99.9% carry Kangaskhanite...), Talonflame, Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Gengar, Cresselia, Azumarill, Venusaur, Charizard and Gyarados. So, you aren't too far off the mark there, except that Aegislash is more popular than Rotom-W and Talonflame. :)

Whys cresselia that high? With all dem gengar and DDers
Lunar dance giving everything a new lease on life,she counters garchomp, has thunder wave, can set up screens, and has a ground immunity
cresselia is a huge bitch

EDIT:Funny how the top six pokemon make up the standard battle spot team gross...

Last edited:
As well as outright MASSIVE defenses. She doesn't go down easily, and she can make a team solid where it may not so otherwise.

Lunar dance giving everything a new lease on life,she counters garchomp, has thunder wave, can set up screens, and has a ground immunity
cresselia is a huge bitch

EDIT:Funny how the top six pokemon make up the standard battle spot team gross...
I hope GF isn't thrilled by this and that this somehow influences them on their 'Z'/genthreemakes(?) to tweak certain mechanics/moves/abilities/stats.

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/user/O-238-2779-B/battle/
Another spotlight for those looking for battle videos.

Currently the top player for Battle Spot 3v3 Singles worldwide, zzLiarzz often favors the tried-and-true of the Pokemon metagame, such as Aegislash, Mega Kangaskhan, and Hippowdon.
At the start of S3, I tried playing with my own team and couldn't get out of the 1300s after around 100 games. Switched to this guy's team and ended up 4th in my region after around 130 games. The only difference I made was powerup punch instead of return on kang and bulk up on talon instead of will-o-wisp. Incredibly strong team.

I cannot find the tentative XY OU tier list (if anyone could provide that link to me that would be awesome) but my guess is that most of these Pokémon you've mentioned are within the top 5 of OU (except Mega Kangaskhan, who let's face it would be top 5 for sure if it wasn't banned).

Because 6v6 and Battle Spot play so differently, I think it makes complete sense that these Pokémon would find their way onto the majority of teams. I mean, if someone was making a 6v6 OU team and simply used the top 6 Pokémon of the OU tier, that team probably wouldn't work out very well for them. But when using half that number of Pokémon, it suddenly becomes more feasible to play that way.
But yes, I agree, it does suck a bit that these are some of the Pokémon you will see or have to use in order to get results. I'm not saying the ONLY way to win is by using these Pokémon, but more often than not, they will win you games.

However, I believe that this can open up the door for unique and out-of-the-box ways to try and play in Battle Spot. For example, I've been using SubDisable Gengar on my Battle Spot team. For one thing, people expect you to be using Mega Gengar, so they don't usually see it coming. For another, it checks a fair good number of stuff. Choice users have always been checked pretty well by SubDisable Gengar, but now that your team is only half of what it is in 6v6, the momentum gained by Gengar is drastic. Another thing I find SubDisable Gengar checks is Mega Kangaskhan, actually. In my experience, people will Mega Evolve Kangaskhan as soon as they can, so 75% of her moves won't even hit Gengar. There's Crunch, but looking at the Battle Spot Season 3 stats, Crunch isn't used on Mega Kangaskhan all that often. So they try to Sucker Punch you, and you just sub down. Same for Mega Mawile. I know SubDisable Gengar isn't exactly "thinking outside of the box" because it's been done before, but people just aren't expecting to see it in Battle Spot, I guess.

I cannot find the tentative XY OU tier list (if anyone could provide that link to me that would be awesome) but my guess is that most of these Pokémon you've mentioned are within the top 5 of OU (except Mega Kangaskhan, who let's face it would be top 5 for sure if it wasn't banned).
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/

Global Link Battle Spot rankings are at the bottom.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-simulator-statistics-—-january-2014.3499146/

January stats. February OU stats should be up soonish.

I'd like usage rate percentages in the Global Link rankings though, similar to the Showdown breakdowns, but it's a start that we're getting some actual hard data from them.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-university-simulator-statistics-—-january-2014.3499146/

January stats. February OU stats should be up soonish.

I'd like usage rate percentages in the Global Link rankings though, similar to the Showdown breakdowns, but it's a start that we're getting some actual hard data from them.
Thank you for the link to the Smogon usage stats. As I expected, half of the most commonly used Pokémon in Battle Spot are in the top 5 of OU.

When everyone talks about how Nintendo and Game Freak should try and balance out their own metagame, keep in mind that the Pokémon franchise is aimed at a younger demographic, a demographic who, for the most part, doesn't care about competitive stats or a competitive metagame. Nintendo and Game Freak make sure that the games are fun first, leaving the competitive aspect up to the dedicated fans.

Having said that, you are absolutely onto something Meultima; Gen VI has been the most competitively-oriented generation to date, with easier breeding mechanics and usage rate percentages. Perhaps in a couple of generations, Nintendo and Game Freak will shift their demographic of Pokémon to the more competitive players, or at least put just as much effort into the competitive aspect of the games as they do to making them enjoyable.

From the few comments I have read in this forum recently, one of the problems many people seem to be facing in Battle Spot in the over-centralization of the "Battle Spot Metagame;" that is to say, people are seeing the same 10 or so Pokémon on every Battle Spot team they encounter. I agree that it is disappointing that you have to try and create a Battle Spot team that either a) contains a Mega Kangaskhan, or b) contains a check/counter to Mega Kangaskhan. It would be nice to see a little variety in Battle Spot outside of the top tier threats and their checks/counters.

Therefore, I suggest that a "Battle Spot Threats Check and Counters" thread be started. It could be a place where people could post sets for Pokémon that check the most frequently seen Pokémon in Battle Spot, sets that people would never think of using. It would be relatively similar to the"Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot" thread, except it would be exclusively for counter-sets to top threats.

Perhaps this thread already exists, or perhaps pre-existing threads to this job well enough. Otherwise, I think it would be worth starting in order to give people set ideas for Pokémon they really want to use on their Battle Spot teams without having to resort to using the same old thing every time.

From the few comments I have read in this forum recently, one of the problems many people seem to be facing in Battle Spot in the over-centralization of the "Battle Spot Metagame;" that is to say, people are seeing the same 10 or so Pokémon on every Battle Spot team they encounter. I agree that it is disappointing that you have to try and create a Battle Spot team that either a) contains a Mega Kangaskhan, or b) contains a check/counter to Mega Kangaskhan. It would be nice to see a little variety in Battle Spot outside of the top tier threats and their checks/counters.

Therefore, I suggest that a "Battle Spot Threats Check and Counters" thread be started. It could be a place where people could post sets for Pokémon that check the most frequently seen Pokémon in Battle Spot, sets that people would never think of using. It would be relatively similar to the"Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot" thread, except it would be exclusively for counter-sets to top threats.

Perhaps this thread already exists, or perhaps pre-existing threads to this job well enough. Otherwise, I think it would be worth starting in order to give people set ideas for Pokémon they really want to use on their Battle Spot teams without having to resort to using the same old thing every time.
This sounds like a great idea.

It's not even Mega Kang,
I'd go as far as to say garchomp is overall the best pokemon in the game (3v3 singles, doubles, triples, VGC).
Garchomp is the most used overall and is considered to be the best pokemon in the game by the top-tier VGC players.

It's not even Mega Kang,
I'd go as far as to say garchomp is overall the best pokemon in the game (3v3 singles, doubles, triples, VGC).
Garchomp is the most used overall and is considered to be the best pokemon in the game by the top-tier VGC players.
I tend to agree with you, actually. Garchomp is just so strong in its versatility and surprisingly good bulk. Either way though, Garchomp, Mega Kangaskhan, whatever Pokémon it may be that is the top threat, I just think a thread should be opened to discuss interesting counters for ALL of these top threats.

I tend to agree with you, actually. Garchomp is just so strong in its versatility and surprisingly good bulk. Either way though, Garchomp, Mega Kangaskhan, whatever Pokémon it may be that is the top threat, I just think a thread should be opened to discuss interesting counters for ALL of these top threats.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-spot-singles-interactive-threat-list.3491745/

There is a thread, sort of, but considering the activity levels here, it gets updated sporadically.

Since Minimize is a legal strategy in Smogon 3v3 Singles, can anyone suggest a good Driflblim set? I know that evasion is kind of a cheap strategy but I want to have a Drifblim ready-made, just in case.

Since Minimize is a legal strategy in Smogon 3v3 Singles, can anyone suggest a good Driflblim set? I know that evasion is kind of a cheap strategy but I want to have a Drifblim ready-made, just in case.
Don't have much immediate experience with Drifblim, but as a Minimize abuser, you might want to consider Unaware Minimize Clefable. Being a Fairy means it's immune to Dragon Rush, the strongest move that gains perfect accuracy through Minimize. Unaware also stops any boosting shenanigans from your opponent's side.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are better minimize/double team users than Drifblim by far. Clefable probably the most notable of which due to it's crazy good stalling move-pool. Though the move itself is enough to make a lot of people simply forfeit as soon as they see it. Myself included.

However, Drifblim is the only one with access to Minimize + Baton Pass, and that's the set I really want to use.
But I'm open to hearing some Clefable Minimize sets as well.

Thoughts?

I used this set

EVS- fine tune to your needs, mostly speed and defenses/hp

Timid nature, Unburden

@ Sitrus Berry / pinch berries / kee / maranga / sash
Weakness Policy (imo the best item)

- minimize
- baton pass
- shadow ball
- substitute / toxic

Last edited:
As far as Minimize Clefable sets go, this basic spread is the usual template.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
Bold, 252 HP/252Def/4 in either SpD or SpA.

Minimize
Calm Mind
Moonblast
Substitute/Moonlight/Wish

A Substitute protects you from status, but forces you to rely entirely on Leftovers recovery. Moonlight and Wish are the next choices, although you probably won't be Wish-Passing much, so Moonlight will serve you better there.

A long time ago I came across a Clefable with the following set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Magic Guard
? Nature
? EVs

- Stored Power
- Cosmic Power
- Minimize
- Wish

Probably not the best set but it was interesting to see Stored Power being used. Took me totally by surprise, considering it was at the beginning of Season 1.

As far as the metagame is going I'm seeing so many more Lunar Dance Cresselia + Mega Kangaskhan this season.

However, I believe that this can open up the door for unique and out-of-the-box ways to try and play in Battle Spot. For example, I've been using SubDisable Gengar on my Battle Spot team.
You! It is you, the man who destroyed my team with that exact set!

You! It is you, the man who destroyed my team with that exact set!
It is quite possible that it was me. However, how can you be sure? I don't think SubDisable Gengar is THAT uncommon in Battle Spot, is it?

As far as Minimize Clefable sets go, this basic spread is the usual template.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
Bold, 252 HP/252Def/4 in either SpD or SpA.

Minimize
Calm Mind
Moonblast
Substitute/Moonlight/Wish

A Substitute protects you from status, but forces you to rely entirely on Leftovers recovery. Moonlight and Wish are the next choices, although you probably won't be Wish-Passing much, so Moonlight will serve you better there.
You have Unaware instead of Magic Guard as the Ability. What are some specific advantages of having Unaware over Magic Guard?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)