Battle Mechanics Research

My thoughts regarding Round: In both of SorrySleeping's second case, Florges outsped Aurorus, regardless of whether or not it used Round. In SorrySleeping's first case, Aurorus was interrupted, but Gardevoir was not, even when Gardevoir was slower.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the positioning of the Pokemon that use Round. In all cases, Porygon-Z is the "Round starter." When the opposing Pokemon on the opposite side used Round (Greninja), we can't tell whether the chain was broken or not, because the order for the rest of the turn proceeded according to speed. It's hard to guess what happens when an opposing Pokemon interrupts the chain because of that (though you could do some experiments with mock battles). But I'm guessing that the second Round Pokemon will always immediately follow the first, regardless of position. It's possible that, after that, the turn order is influenced by the position of the Pokemon. I'm thinking that maybe the third Pokemon needs to be adjacent to the Round starter to continue the chain. That would explain why Gardevoir (adjacent to P-Z) continued the chain while Aurorus did not.

EDIT: Never mind, that's not consistent with Theorymon's battle, where Aurorus outsped Manectric on the first turn. Maybe, after the second user of Round, subsequent users have a chance of continuing the chain, but it's not a sure thing? That's the only thing I can think of. I was thinking that the opponent using non-damaging moves might interrupt the chain, but Reuniclus was outsped by a Hydro Pump Rotom-W and an EQ Mamoswine.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
If Sticky Web is on the opponent's field, and a Pokemon uses Gravity while the foe has out a flying-type or Levitator, do they fall to the ground and get the Speed-reduction, or just become grounded?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Regarding Lightning Rod: ground-type bearers of the ability will draw in the move Electrify and receive the special attack boost, despite ground guys being immune to electric-type attacks.
Does this only happen with electrify? I thought usually type immunities were checked before ability immunities

Checked some of the other electric-type status attacks.
Eerie Impulse is redirected by and boosts a ground-type bearer of Lightning Rod.
Electric Terrain and Ion Deluge don't trigger Lightning Rod.
Thunder Wave and electric-type damaging attacks are still redirected by Lightning Rod but does not give the ground-type the boost.
Did not test Magnetic Flux because it fails if no bearer of Plus or Minus is out there with the user of the move.
Does this only happen with electrify? I thought usually type immunities were checked before ability immunities

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ah.

Gaining Grass type does not provide an immunity to Powder on the same turn.

Tested with Vivillon, Trevenant, Torkoal, and a passive fourth mon:

Vivillon uses Powder on Torkoal
fourth mon does nothing
Trevenant uses Forest's Curse on Torkoal
Torkoal attempts to use Lava Plume, takes damage instead

Ah.

Gaining Grass type does not provide an immunity to Powder on the same turn.

Tested with Vivillon, Trevenant, Torkoal, and a passive fourth mon:

Vivillon uses Powder on Torkoal
fourth mon does nothing
Trevenant uses Forest's Curse on Torkoal
Torkoal attempts to use Lava Plume, takes damage instead
Does it provide an immunity to powder if they obtain the grass type before being hit with the powder move? Or has that already been proven somewhere (and I just can't find it)?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does it provide an immunity to powder if they obtain the grass type before being hit with the powder move? Or has that already been proven somewhere (and I just can't find it)?
Theoretically it would, although the only way to test this would be to Skill Swap Prankster onto a Trevenant and give Vivillon a Lagging Tail since Powder is a priority move.

More on the Florges family's abilities. Symbiosis immediately passes along the Symbiosis users item to the partner after their item is consumed. I tested this again with V4Victini. I had a Normal Gem Bulbasaur and a Chesto Berry Symbiosis Floette on my side of the field. Bulbasaur used Tackle and consumed his Normal Gem. Before the attack even happened, Floette passed along its Chesto Berry to Bulbasaur.

If you'd like to look at it yourself, you can find the battle video at G7WG-WWWW-WWWX-CQ4N
I know this is a really late reply, but since the item transfers before the attack, what happens if florges is holding a normal gem as well? Does it activate on the tackle on well? If so, how does that affect damage?

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does Mold Breaker suppress any of Fairy Aura, Dark Aura and Aura Break?
Mold Breaker only ignores effects of abilities that negatively affect your moves, so if I recall, Mold Breaker won't stop these abilities from functioning. Say if it was a Mold Breaker Pokémon using Crunch, I assume it would still be powered by Dark Aura (as it increases damage output from all Pokemon on the field as opposed to negating or decreasing). Forgive me if I am at all incorrect.

Last edited:
Mold Breaker only ignores effects of abilities that negatively affect your moves, so if I recall, Mold Breaker won't stop these abilities from functioning. Say if it was a Mold Breaker Pokémon using Crunch, I assume it would still be powered by Dark Aura (as it increases damage output from all Pokemon on the field as opposed to negating or decreasing). Forgive me if I am at all incorrect.
Mold Breaker ignores Light Metal even if the attacker uses Heavy Slam (when Light Metal would empower the attack).
Similarly, it could be said that the Auras weaken the attacks if Aura Break is in effect. That's why I am asking.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Mold Breaker ignores Light Metal even if the attacker uses Heavy Slam (when Light Metal would empower the attack).
Similarly, it could be said that the Auras weaken the attacks if Aura Break is in effect. That's why I am asking.
Yeah, I suppose I ought to have taken that into account. Apologies for my ignorance :/

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-99235611
I tested this out, and Pidgey's speed was not lowered upon becoming grounded, despite the presence of Sticky Web.
I don't think showdown is supposed to count as a source for verifying game mechanics.

I'll see if I can get a friend later so I can test this in-game.

Edit: while I'm doing this I guess I'll test the mold breaker thing as well.

It'll be a double battle with rampardos, yvetal, a zygarde for more testing and some random tanky pokemon I guess. Have neither yveltal or zygarde out and test damage, put yveltal out and test and then throw in zygarde and test.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think showdown is supposed to count as a source for verifying game mechanics.

I'll see if I can get a friend later so I can test this in-game.

Edit: while I'm doing this I guess I'll test the mold breaker thing as well.

It'll be a double battle with rampardos, yvetal, a zygarde for more testing and some random tanky pokemon I guess. Have neither yveltal or zygarde out and test damage, put yveltal out and test and then throw in zygarde and test.
Yeah, you got me there. I should have been bothered to test it out in-game first , since Battle Mechanics are always in need of careful research on Showdown. My bad :o

Apologies if this was mentioned before. I'm sure this mechanic existed in previous generations but I can't seem to find it.

In multibattles, how does the ability Rivalry work when you use a multitarget attack. Some examples are Haxorus using EQ or Pyroar using Hyper Voice, both have access to Rivalry. How would the damage boost work if it's targetting Pokes of different genders?

Ok so I tested it with some pokemon we currently have on hand. My lvl 20 rampardos pursuit vs lvl 30 chansey. (Sorry about the horrible levels and damage amounts)

With yvetal out or in, it did around 28-29 damage average, but was capable of 30 damage if yvetal was present.

With zygarde and yvetal out, it did around 26 damage average it seemed, and got as low as 25.

Interesting thing we also discovered is it appears that aura break remains in effect for the turn even if zygarde is switched out.

We had one of our 25 damage times occur when zygarde was switched out that turn into yvetal.

Can anyone help confirm this as a trait of aura break?

Last edited:
With regards to Rototiller working like Swords Dance and being a field effect, does anyone know if the effects of Rototiller only apply when the user of the move is on the field? For example, if Excadrill and Venusaur are on the field and Excadrill used Rototiller on Turn 1, then switched out on Turn 2. Is Venusaur still at +1 Attack and +1 Special Attack on Turns 2 and 3?

Ok so I tested it with some pokemon we currently have on hand. My lvl 20 rampardos pursuit vs lvl 30 chansey. (Sorry about the horrible levels and damage amounts)

With yvetal out or in, it did around 28-29 damage average, but was capable of 30 damage if yvetal was present.

With zygarde and yvetal out, it did around 26 damage average it seemed, and got as low as 25.

Interesting thing we also discovered is it appears that aura break remains in effect for the turn even if zygarde is switched out.

We had one of our 25 damage times occur when zygarde was switched out that turn into yvetal.

Can anyone help confirm this as a trait of aura break?
Since Mold Breaker is supposed to nullify the effect of the defender's ability, I think it should be tested by making the Mold Breaker user attack Yveltal/Zygarde rather than Chansey, and compare the damage with a situation where the same attacker (or the defender) has lost the ability (via Entrainment, Skill Swap or whatever).

The issue you note about Aura Break duration seems interesting though :o

Oh that's true, but that's going to take some serious level grinding of my mold breaker so it can do enough damage to zygarde and yvetal to actually be more measurable then. Guess I better get started.

Regarding Power Trick, Mega-Evo, and Switching:

First, does Power Trick remain in effect upon switch? I generally play cartridge over simulated, and a circumstance involving Gliscor leads me to believe that Power Trick does in fact remain in effect. Furthermore, if Power Trick is Baton Passed to a mon that's not mega, and then goes mega on the turn of entering, when the stats update upon changing, is Power Trick negated? I tend to run a Mega Aggron that gets passed into Power Trick, however attacks don't seem to do what 230 base should be capable of.

I'm sorry if my post is utter trash, I'm fairly new to the smogon forum. I've been here many times before, but this is my first post.

Power trick didn't stay in effect last generation upon switch out, but it's possible it was changed of course.

As for mega-evolutions, that's an interesting question. I could see it going both ways depending on how the stats are recalculated.

You can try to do some damage calcs instead and see what it should be doing at base 230 vs what it is doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)