Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This may sound a bit impatient of me, but will the Pre-Evolution Workshop work on Rebble and Bolderdash some time before Kalos CAP 1 starts?
I'm not sure, but I highly doubt it. Since Gen 6 has had its first round of suspect testing completed and since Policy Review is beginning to wrap up, it shouldn't be much longer until Kalos CAP 1 starts though. I would expect us to start workshopping Rebble and Bolderdash on the tail end of Kalos CAP 1, however.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
The process has started already as applications are open for topic leadership positions. The actual Pokémon-creating part is still a little while away, though.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
umm can people like me make pokemon for CAP?
CAP is, again, a community project in which all members are free to participate and play a part in the construction of a Pokemon, whether by taking part in discussions or by simply voting on your preferred stat spread / ability / typing et cetera. You can also submit your own stat spreads, movepools, concepts, and the like. Try reading the Newcomer's Guide, it'll make things a bit more clear, I think.

Now that TL and TLTs positions are decided, how long is it before the concept discussions begin? Where would I find them?

Bull of Heaven

Dododoggy: The simplest thing is to just to start posting in the discussions. Once you've read up on what this project is about, you can jump in and contribute like anyone else. If it helps, you can wait and start with a section you're more comfortable with, whether that's stats, abilities, art, or any of the others. You're also more than welcome to make submissions in the appropriate sections. The only thing you need to do all of this is your Smogon account. If you want to get a better grasp on what the community is like, you can check out the #cap IRC channel. If you're still not sure what to do, we have designated mentors that you can contact for further guidance. They're listed here.

wh0sy0urpapa: Three main reasons. First, Pokemon is such a diverse game that we shouldn't realistically ever need to make custom moves/abilities. There are plenty of options already available. Second, there's some tension between adding moves/abilities and the actual goals of the project. If we're going to study the OU metagame by adding a Pokemon to it, we should only use the tools that are actually available in the OU metagame. Otherwise things get distorted. Finally, while limiting ourselves to official options doesn't unreasonably restrict what we can do, it does impose some basic limits. The possibility of a custom move/ability is so open-ended that it becomes a distraction, and attracts broken suggestions. There isn't much interest in reconsidering the ban right now, and I doubt that it will happen any time soon.

I assume this idea has been suggested before and got rejected, if so my question is why and if not I want to suggest the following idea :
Instead of working on a new CAP from scratch for the newly xy metagame, the community can revamp an old 4th or 5th gen CAP and update it's movepool, add 10 points to a random stat, grant a new ability or change an old hidden ability or even grant a mega evolution. Hopefully I won't be scald for entering a red zone.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I assume this idea has been suggested before and got rejected, if so my question is why and if not I want to suggest the following idea :
Instead of working on a new CAP from scratch for the newly xy metagame, the community can revamp an old 4th or 5th gen CAP and update it's movepool, add 10 points to a random stat, grant a new ability or change an old hidden ability or even grant a mega evolution. Hopefully I won't be scald for entering a red zone.
There are things in motion that may or may not end up being like this. However, there will have to be large PRC discussions on the matter and whether we actually go through with updating the CaPs at all. A lot of people are against any changes, and some people are for them. It is a very difficult and delicate topic :)

Regarding Pre-evolutions for CAP mons: if the intended purpose of a CAP project is for a defensive Pokemon, can pokemon designed with Eviolite in mind be used in the final project or is it required to be the final evolution?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Regarding Pre-evolutions for CAP mons: if the intended purpose of a CAP project is for a defensive Pokemon, can pokemon designed with Eviolite in mind be used in the final project or is it required to be the final evolution?
CaP Prevos never get implented so that question is neither here nor there. I believe there has been PRC Discussion and Concepts put forward which explore the usage of Eviolite Vs an Evolution, but it didn't get through and would be a fairly coimplicated Pokemon to make.

You can put forward stats which benefit from Eviolite (take a look at Flarelm here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pre-encaplopedia-the-reference-point-for-prevos.3487207/ ) when a CaP Prevo comes up, but as I said before, it is unlikely to be implemented.

Well then if that is the case then if my pokemon was meant to be competitive then why can't I just submit and start my own project.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Because that ruins the concept of it being community made. We are distinct from all other fakemon projects because it's not just 1 guy making whatever Uber-tier Pokémon they want, but a community carefully balancing concepts, typing, abilities, and so on, to make a powerful, but not OP, Pokemon.

Well this is where it gets crazy for me with the CAP project if we are all apart of the community then why can't we as one of the community submit our own ideas and have the community help balance concepts, typing, abilities and so on instead of just only making a community pokemon every 6-8 weeks.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Well this is where it gets crazy for me with the CAP project if we are all apart of the community then why can't we as one of the community submit our own ideas and have the community help balance concepts, typing, abilities and so on instead of just only making a community pokemon every 6-8 weeks.
The Concept phase (Which you missed out on by about 2 weeks) is where the first ideas are brought up for the next CaP Project. The whole point is that we then discuss the idea as a community and then proceed with a course of action which hopefully answers some questions about OU and the Pokemon environment.

Even though the Pre-Evo process takes place when nothing is going on, will the CAP sub-site ever make the Art Gallery include Pre-Evos? I'm referring only to the community-made Pre-Evos, and not the personally-made ones.

I wasn't sure if the question was simple enough for this thread, but I couldn't find a place for it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)