VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you build for VGC? I mean, I've had my fair share of success, but I just can't go higher than 1630 at the Battle Spot ladder.

Now I'm restarting my team, and the core is Mega Manectric (he's my favorite Mega), Amoonguss (one of my favorite mons) and Mence (nice sinergy with Manectric). But every time I change something, something goes wrong. I know I still have lots to learn, but I could use some help. I'm thinking about keeping Liepard in the team, for Fake Out + Prankster Taunt. I used to have Gyarados, and it also Works nice with Manectric, and the combo of opening with LIepard and Gyara, switching to Manectric when I sense na electric atack and then Encoring it to get another boost before Mega-Evolving for me is awesome. Or I can just switch Liepard for Manectric while I dragon dance safely. But I'm not sure of how to round the team off and how to be assured I have most threats covered.

Playing in the Beta Competition I got matched up against a team with a double smeargle lead which made me confused. Isn't there a restriction against using two of the same pokemon on the same team?

Look back to what happened when B/W came out. That season, only pokemon from that dex was allowed. The same is happening now and therefore, next year, the rules will most likely include all pokemon.
They might just add the pentagon requirement to all pokemon though..? Although that would rule out most legendaries..

The Pentagon requirement might very well be a future requirement for upcoming tournaments. I personally like the idea since that means ancient, hard to find events and harder to obtain Gen 4 Pokemon rotate out of the format almost exactly akin to what happens in the TCG side of things. However, I can't say for certain whether this will be the case in future VGC tournaments.

He guys what's a good pokemon to ruin entry hazards and taunt?
Entry hazards aren't really a threat in the VGC metagame. Since you only have 4 Pokémon in-battle and the battles themselves last around 5 turns or less it is very unlikely you'll see it. I wouldn't say it's something you need to prepare for. As for Taunt, a Mental Herb will eliminate the effects of it upon consumption and Magic Bounce will reflect it back to the user although the only Pokémon that have that in this are Espeon and Mega-Absol.

Hey, I haven't played VGCs since 2011 ._.
I can't seem to find the dates and locations for upcoming regionals. Are they already over? Or can someone link them here? Gonna start getting back into VGCs.

Is Draco Meteor viable on Garchomp? With a nature that lowers SpD? I'm guessing it's not, as Protect is just too useful to leave out.

Hey, I haven't played VGCs since 2011 ._.
I can't seem to find the dates and locations for upcoming regionals. Are they already over? Or can someone link them here? Gonna start getting back into VGCs.
http://nuggetbridge.com/events/

Is Draco Meteor viable on Garchomp? With a nature that lowers SpD? I'm guessing it's not, as Protect is just too useful to leave out.
Your guess would be correct, it's really not worth trying to use Garchomp's meager Special Attack for Draco Meteor when Dragon Claw already hits hard enough. Protect with Adamant or Jolly would definitely be the better option.

Is there any pokemon that counters kangaskhan (including each offensive set that kangaskhan runs) in vgc (double battles) ? Checked the global link stats and pretty much all of the top ten threats to kangaskhan have kangaskhan as threat.

Is there any pokemon that counters kangaskhan (including each offensive set that kangaskhan runs) in vgc (double battles) ? Checked the global link stats and pretty much all of the top ten threats to kangaskhan have kangaskhan as threat.
Mega-Lucario is a pretty solid counter to Mega-Kangaskhan. It starts off with Inner Focus to avoid flinching from Fake Out, it resists its Normal STAB and Sucker Punch, and with Timid or Jolly Mega-Lucario investing 164 EVs in speed it can be guaranteed to outspeed Mega-Kangaskhan. To top it off, whether it is running a physical or a special set either set can OHKO Mega-Kangaskhan with their respective STAB Fighting-type move, Close Combat for physical and Aura Sphere for special.

One of the other few counters to Mega-Kangaskhan is Sableye since it is immune to all of its moves besides Sucker Punch and can Burn Mega-Kangaskhan before it gets the chance to do much damage. This allows its teammates to deal with it as a burned Kangaskhan is much less of a major threat (Although it can still hit pretty hard to an extent) and if necessary Foul Play can deal anywhere between 41 - 48.5% on a Burned Kangaskhan while only taking 34.3% at most from her Sucker Punch.

Other options that could work include Conkeldurr that can OHKO Mega-Kangaskhan with Drain Punch but will go down to a Return + Burn Damage followed by a Sucker Punch so a 2HKO with Mach Punch is not a viable option. Mienshao can outspeed and OHKO Mega-Kangaskhan with High Jump Kick, but must be wary of missing (It can survive a Sucker Punch after missing High Jump Kick as it does at most 45.7% to Mienshao).

Nightwalker covered a lot of options that can KO Kangaskhan already as I wrote this post, so I'll go ahead and cover the stuff that can take hits and deal with Kanga. Ferrothorn, Gourgheist, Sableye and Aegislash make for solid answers to Kangaskhan. Kangaskhan can actually beat Ferrothorn, but it's going to take a bunch of uncomfortable Power-Up Punches or Hammer Arms to take him down. Provided that Kangaskhan lacks Crunch, Gourgheisst can sit its ass down and Will-o-wisp and Leech Seed it and its partners. Sableye does not give a care in the world what Kangaskhan does while it Burns it and it's partners. Aegislash can set up a Substitute on Kangaskhan, Take a Sucker Punch as it breaks through the Sub and hits Aegislash, and OHKO Kangaskhan with a +2 Weakness Policy Flash Cannon.

What is the most popular substitute for Hitmontop in the Kalos-only seasons? Both Conkeldurr and Hariyama can provide Wide Guard support; while the first one has Fake Out the latter one has priority.

What is the most popular substitute for Hitmontop in the Kalos-only seasons? Both Conkeldurr and Hariyama can provide Wide Guard support; while the first one has Fake Out the latter one has priority.
The big allure for Hitmontop for the last few VGC formats have been more focused on his ability to use Fake Out alongside Intimidate with his Fighting-type STAB moreso than his Technician boosted priority attacks. If you're looking for Fake Out + Intimidate, Scrafty gives you both and a decent Fighting-type stab with Drain Punch.

I went up against a Meowstic with Assist, my Meowstic used Safeguard first - however the opposing Meowstic used Assist which triggered Dark Void and it slept both my pokemon anyway. He then continued to spam Assist and it used Dark Void every time. This doesn't seem consistent with the mechanics of assist, does anyone have any insight on to how or why this happens?

Are you sure the opponents Meowstic actually had Prankster and wasn't doing some weird shenanigans with Infiltrator? Do you have a battle video?

Are you sure the opponents Meowstic actually had Prankster and wasn't doing some weird shenanigans with Infiltrator? Do you have a battle video?
Unfortunately I do not. Infiltrator would explain the assist going through Safeguard but Dark Void being used over and over was the most unusual/alarming part of it...

Thanks for the input the last time. Let us expand upon that:

How much point is there in Zapdos in this season?
Firstly, it is almost impossible to obtain a viable Zapdos with HP Flying because it requires three odd IVs - thus the three perfect, pre-determined IVs have to be in HP, Atk and Def in the first place. Even then, the reduced power of HP is a bit off-putting. It looks like it still is the strongest option against opposing Fighting types, but as said, almost unobtainable.
Secondly, it looses Tailwind and a bit coverage in the form of Heat Wave.
Thirdly, Drill Peck, anyone? It is generally weaker coming from -0 Atk instead of +252 SAtk but it still does around the same damage against Assault Vest wearer with Conkeldurr as an exception; slightly more, but barely noticable.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Still worth it? I thought it already stopped getting used when it became a special attack. Now that it's also 60 power, I don't really see the point. Heracross is the only VGC-legal pokémon that HP Flying hits harder than either Flamethrower or Dragon Pulse (let alone Fire Blast or Draco Meteor). Assault Vest really has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)