Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have stated in the best before the last one that it is not possible. Helping Hand can only be relearned by the evolutions when it is in the initial movepool of Tyrogue. The Tyrogue that was born with two egg moves, thus without Helping Hand, cannot relearn it anymore once it evolves, no matter whether it had it when it had evolved. Only Tyrogues with only one egg move, the ones who still have Helping Hand in their initial movepool, can remember it post-evolution.

We still need one thing to test: 'Initial movepool' may refer to the movepool the mon is caught with. We won't get access to the games until evening, so we would be grateful if somebody can catch a Tygorue, replace its moves, evolve it and see if it still remember its initial moves: Tackle, Helping Hand, Fake Out and Foresight.
Otherwise we will do it tonight.
If I understand the moves mechanics correctly, a poke can only relearn a move (egg move or otherwise) that is in its move list, and not of its pre-evolution's. Thus, Hitmon-whatever cannot relearn Helping Hand as it is a Tyrogue only move. Just tested this out with a Hitmonchan that I got in a trade with no egg moves whatsoever, so it should be correct.

In conclusion, to get your Helping Hand Hitmontop, you have to do what DHR-107 said. I.e. breed Tyrogue with whatever egg moves you want, bring it to move relearner, relearn Helping Hand THEN only you evolve it.

If I understand the moves mechanics correctly, a poke can only relearn a move (egg move or otherwise) that is in its move list, and not of its pre-evolution's. Thus, Hitmon-whatever cannot relearn Helping Hand as it is a Tyrogue only move. Just tested this out with a Hitmonchan that I got in a trade with no egg moves whatsoever, so it should be correct.

In conclusion, to get your Helping Hand Hitmontop, you have to do what DHR-107 said. I.e. breed Tyrogue with whatever egg moves you want, bring it to move relearner, relearn Helping Hand THEN only you evolve it.
We can disprove that.

The moves a Pokemon can remember only apply to hatchings, not caught ones. A caught Tyrogue we have evolved can't remember any moves, while a hatched Tyrogue without any egg moves could remember every single one of its initial movepool, even Tackle. The conclusion is that they remember every single move in their initial movelist when hatching, no matter what they know when evolving. Your Hitmonchan was likely caught and not bred.

That is not the problem, though. The thing is that Helping Hand is not an egg move, despite the wikis claiming otherwise. If it was an egg move It should be appended to the bottom of the movelist, not left out.

Hi All,

Looking for some advice about building up my text team run-through as I am trying to build up a pool of practical pokemon that I can sue for battle and train up during the run through (on my second cartridge, which I use to capture the birds, legendaries, etc). Last time I put a strong focus on balance and trying to cover off all areas, this time around i'm just struggling to decide on the last two spots (the two dragons are decisions that I have made, absol and jolteon are at the request of someone else for info-gathering) so that I can increase the pool of trained pokemon I have for battling. Eventually, some smogon battling however primarily serious-casual battles.

Currently, my line-up will look like the following by end-game:

Goodra/Garchomp/Jolteon/Absol/x/x

Any suggestions on who to add? I am thinking more so along the lines of something that will be useful and good in battles and is also versatile. Off the top of my head, i'm thinking perhaps empoleon to cover off water/steel and maybe golurk -- or even a flying type? Interested to hear some thoughts from others -- I tend to lean back on gen I due to nostalgia and enjoying them but really want to explore some of what the later generations had to offer.

Thank you!

Hi All,

Looking for some advice about building up my text team run-through as I am trying to build up a pool of practical pokemon that I can sue for battle and train up during the run through (on my second cartridge, which I use to capture the birds, legendaries, etc). Last time I put a strong focus on balance and trying to cover off all areas, this time around i'm just struggling to decide on the last two spots (the two dragons are decisions that I have made, absol and jolteon are at the request of someone else for info-gathering) so that I can increase the pool of trained pokemon I have for battling. Eventually, some smogon battling however primarily serious-casual battles.

Currently, my line-up will look like the following by end-game:

Goodra/Garchomp/Jolteon/Absol/x/x

Any suggestions on who to add? I am thinking more so along the lines of something that will be useful and good in battles and is also versatile. Off the top of my head, i'm thinking perhaps empoleon to cover off water/steel and maybe golurk -- or even a flying type? Interested to hear some thoughts from others -- I tend to lean back on gen I due to nostalgia and enjoying them but really want to explore some of what the later generations had to offer.

Thank you!
Pidgeot please! I didn't really manage to use it well in my playthrough, so I'd be interested in seeing someone make it work.

OK fine, Pidgeot won't help you much in actual serious battling... So, maybe Golurk and Azumarill or Ampharos? Just so that you have a representative for each and every generation so far. :)

Some questions I have regarding Soak and how it affects types/status:

1. If you use Soak on an Electric type, say Pikachu, can you then paralyse Pikachu via Thunder Wave or other means? If Pikachu can be paralysed under such conditions, will it be automatically cured of Paralysis status when it switches out?

2. Similar to Q1 above: if you Soak a Grass type, will the Grass type no longer be immune to powder moves like Spore?

3. If a Ghost type is affected by Soak, will it then lose the ability to switch out against Shadow Tag?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

1. If you use Soak on an Electric type, say Pikachu, can you then paralyse Pikachu via Thunder Wave or other means? If Pikachu can be paralysed under such conditions, will it be automatically cured of Paralysis status when it switches out?

2. Similar to Q1 above: if you Soak a Grass type, will the Grass type no longer be immune to powder moves like Spore?

3. If a Ghost type is affected by Soak, will it then lose the ability to switch out against Shadow Tag?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure actually... Maybe yes?

I have a question about Friend Safari.

So when I enter the game it takes me offline, in that case how do I get the question mark of the person in the friend safari to change to their face. I've been online when I go into the game and so is my friend but it never changes. Also, when I leave the game and go back to my friends list, it says I'm offline.

What gives?

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a question about Friend Safari.

So when I enter the game it takes me offline, in that case how do I get the question mark of the person in the friend safari to change to their face. I've been online when I go into the game and so is my friend but it never changes. Also, when I leave the game and go back to my friends list, it says I'm offline.

What gives?
When you click the home screen on your game and go to your Friends on the 3DS it will take you offline in-game. When returning back to turn to the game you have to turn on the connection again. If this isn't the issue try deleting your friend and re-adding or having a battle/trading them. You also must have completed the Pokemon League. If it still doesn't work then it has something to do with your Pokemon connections rather than the actual 3DS itself if your able to add your friend and he/she appears online on your friend list.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Yes is the answer to all of them. Just wanted to elaborate as the last guy who answered didn't know the 3rd one.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
When reading the rules, I encountered this:

Only discuss released or announced aspects of games, anime, and manga.
  • Do not post "wishlist" threads (e.g. "What abilities do YOU want to see in Gen 6?")
I want to create a "wishlist" thread on this site, asking people about unreleased/unannounced aspects of the game. On what board would I post such a thread? Since I am not allowed to do so here...

Celever

i am town
When reading the rules, I encountered this:

I want to create a "wishlist" thread on this site, asking people about unreleased/unannounced aspects of the game. On what board would I post such a thread? Since I am not allowed to do so here...
Unfortunately smogon is not the place to make this thread. If you rephrase your thread into a similar thing and manage to steer the discussion one way, you can get a similar thing to your first idea though.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Unfortunately smogon is not the place to make this thread. If you rephrase your thread into a similar thing and manage to steer the discussion one way, you can get a similar thing to your first idea though.
So, the thread I was curious to create would ask something like, "What changes would you make to improve the game's balance? For example, how would you change the type strengths/weaknesses chart, what moves would you alter, etc.?" I wanted to hear people's opinions. I was thinking about posting it on the general discussion board (titled "congregation of the masses"). But that board seems dedicated to non-pokemon topics. Is this type of talk just not allowed at all on Smogon.com?

Celever

i am town
So, the thread I was curious to create would ask something like, "What changes would you make to improve the game's balance? For example, how would you change the type strengths/weaknesses chart, what moves would you alter, etc.?" I wanted to hear people's opinions. I was thinking about posting it on the general discussion board (titled "congregation of the masses"). But that board seems dedicated to non-pokemon topics. Is this type of talk just not allowed at all on Smogon.com?
If this is competitively then there are various theory on threads in the competitive discussions which you could use. You would just have to say "What if x type hit y super effectively?" spread out over like a month lol.

Other than that, there's nit really anywhere.

I'm not sure if this the right thread for this but what is vgc? Is that like for people with a ds or something? And where would I go to look for tournaments for xy on the ds? I'm just uber confused right now

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if this the right thread for this but what is vgc? Is that like for people with a ds or something? And where would I go to look for tournaments for xy on the ds? I'm just uber confused right now
Try this for more help...
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-ask-a-simple-question-get-a-simple-answer-mark-ii.3470874/

Q: What is VGC?
A: The Video Game Championships, VGC for short, is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50 (any moves they learn after level 50 will be retained, their stats will just be adjusted to match how they would at Level 50). It is played in person on the DS at Regionals around the country, Nationals, and Worlds. The rules change yearly, however event Pokemon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Shaymin-S, Arceus, and Victini) are always banned.

DS games are not region-locked so a US Conquest should work fine on your 3DS. Keep in mind that DS games marked as DSi-enhanced are region-locked, such as BW and BW2.
Both my White and Black versions are North American, while my 3DS is German and I have no problems. I can even play my German White 2 version on my North American DSi. If "DSi-enhanced" games are region-locked, then that doesn't apply to BW/BW2.

Hello friends.

I'm just playing a hasty run through pkmn Black, because I'm bored.

Qualities of the run:

- Gotta be good looking or imba mons
- Swapping Lucky Egg back and forth between my monsters to keep the exp yield at a maximum. Saving Rare candies just prior entering elite 4 etc.
(Archeops is therefore ignored)
- Number of mons stays 3-4 throughout the first run, rest are slaves so on and so forth
- Pokes are never to be nicknamed, gotten from trades in general. It is assumed I am a lonely hermit on vacation on Bora Bora Island.
- I am fond of elemental attacks
- I want a smooth run where I can just sweep, spam repels and super potions all the game.
- The only ones really set in stone are Serperior and Darmanitan

I'm starting with Snivy -> Serperior because I like coil and speed.

(example: serperior @ X random neutral nature with grass phy+sp, coil, and return)

Experience and amount of levels should be hold enough until mid->lategame as far as ignoring type coverage to a certain degree.

///////////////////////////

What I have drafted so far

Serperior @ ?
grass drain
grass phy
coil
return

Darmanitan @ adamant

Carracosta? (Given at level 25, shell smash, surf)

Not sure about the 4th. Thinking of Moxie Krookodile with Foul, Outrage +2 moves

Considered:
Galvantula
Krookodile
Haxorus (maybe it hurts type coverage, but adamant DD sweep makes me shed tears of joy)
Crustle, heard he's good, but with Carracosta maybe there's too much shell smashers
Emogla, cute but so weak

No and boring:
Excadrill
Petilil (Nicknamed, Black)
Scrafty (Played it too many times)
Archeops (Same, and impractical with lucky egg swapping)
Sigilyph (Ugly)
Stoutland (Ugly)
Tynamo (Takes too long, impractical)
Deino, same as above

After Credit roll #1

Dragonite
+1 pokemon that covers the last weaknesses

PS: Darma, Krook, Dragonite all 1 250 000 EXP

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
When I breed Smeargle do all sketched moves get passed to the baby?
Only certain moves will be passed:

- Egg moves
- Level-up moves (when both parents have them)

Note that the offspring can remember its full initial movelist, so sometimes it is useful to pass level-up moves the evolution can't learn anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)