Darmanitan-Z

Hello, poké-people! Yesterday, I've noticed that the alternative form of Darmanitan has its own entry at Smogon dex, but not a standard strategy set, which even unown does. I kind of understand that it is because Zen Mode can be regarded as just a suboptimal strategy for Darmanitan, but seeing it even has its own tier in gen 5, limbo, and is the only one there, I found myself in the duty of producing a strategy that could put it on the map. Instantly I assumed that zen mode would really be useless bounded by Smogon clauses, so my option was using an evasion setup to give the fiery meditator more turns to move and it seems at least better than many other strategies for battle spot singles. That being said, I would like Smogon to enhance the content about darmanitan-z. If necessary, I can provide my choice for spreads and movesets and the battle videos where it sweeps 2 teams.

Last edited:
Hello, poké-people! Yesterday, I've noticed that the alternative form of Darmanitan has its own entry at Smogon dex, but not a standard strategy set, which even unown does. I kind of understand that it is because Zen Mode can be regarded as just a sub-optimal strategy for Darmanitan, but seeing it even has its own tier in gen 5, limbo, and is the only one there, I found myself in the duty of producing a strategy that could put it on the map. Instantly I assumed that zen mode would really be useless bounded by Smogon clauses, so my option was using an evasion setup to give the fiery meditator more turns to move and it seems at least better than many other strategies for battle spot singles. That being said, I would like Smogon to enhance the content about darmanitan-z. If necessary, I can provide my choice for spreads and movesets and the battle videos where it sweeps 2 teams.
Darmanitan-Z is a stratagy that could work, but it's not viable. The reason it doesn't have its own page is becuase it is a form of darmanitan, much like how mealeota does not have a separate page for each of its forms. Darmanitan-Z should not be used competitively as it needs to be at half HP to work, if it was a separate for like the Landorus forms for example, It could be viable, but not the way it is currenty.

Hello, poké-people! Yesterday, I've noticed that the alternative form of Darmanitan has its own entry at Smogon dex, but not a standard strategy set, which even unown does. I kind of understand that it is because Zen Mode can be regarded as just a sub-optimal strategy for Darmanitan, but seeing it even has its own tier in gen 5, limbo, and is the only one there, I found myself in the duty of producing a strategy that could put it on the map. Instantly I assumed that zen mode would really be useless bounded by Smogon clauses, so my option was using an evasion setup to give the fiery meditator more turns to move and it seems at least better than many other strategies for battle spot singles. That being said, I would like Smogon to enhance the content about darmanitan-z. If necessary, I can provide my choice for spreads and movesets and the battle videos where it sweeps 2 teams.
I think the Unown thing was a joke for fun. Darmanitain is pretty much outclassed by other fire types, and is just a gimmick for tricking your opponent to bring in a physical wall and then smashing them.

Darmanitan-Z is a stratagy that could work, but it's not viable. The reason it doesn't have its own page is becuase it is a form of darmanitan, much like how mealeota does not have a separate page for each of its forms. Darmanitan-Z should not be used competitively as it needs to be at half HP to work, if it was a separate for like the Landorus forms for example, It could be viable, but not the way it is currenty.
I know, but it has one page and, if I'm checking right, the pirouette melloeta wasn't in the limbo tier together with it. The page only lacks strategy discussion. There is a brief one in other page for zen mode ability, but no set to use in the pokémon if you wanna try.

I know, but it has one page and, if I'm checking right, the pirouette melloeta wasn't in the limbo tier together with it. The page only lacks strategy discussion. There is a brief one in other page for zen mode ability, but no set to use in the pokémon if you wanna try.
Plus, if as evasion-boosted special-sweeper, it doesn't seem soooo bad.

And...melloeta-P received a page...with strategy set!

Plus, if as evasion-boosted special-sweeper, it doesn't seem soooo bad.
evasion moves like double team are banned, and darmanitian needs to be at 50% or lower to activate zen mode. Easily KO'd by common pokemon. Also Meloetta P is actually viable.

evasion moves like double team are banned, and darmanitian needs to be at 50% or lower to activate zen mode. Easily KO'd by common pokemon. Also Meloetta P is actually viable.
Did you read my first text carefully? XD I mention my attempt is out of Smogon ruleset, that explains me here at battle spot part of the forum, but I understand that's a problem for making it something that can be mentioned officially by Smogon.

Still, I can imagine it being mentioned with an observation or maybe with a set in the rules even if it is a poor one.

Did you read my first text carefully? XD I mention my attempt is out of Smogon ruleset, that explains me here at battle spot part of the forum, but I understand that's a problem for making it something that can be mentioned officially by Smogon.
probably because there's no 100% way to get into zen mode, because you could get destroyed on the spot. however, you're right that smogon needs more context about it. also try not to double post.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
So you're trying to get a set breaking Smogon's rules on Smogon? Brilliant.

So you're trying to get a set breaking Smogon's rules on Smogon? Brilliant.
If so, as a battle spot curiosity. We have a battle spot forum for a reason, but yeah, drawing attention to Darmanitan-Z is a hard mission even if I can win with it.

Some interesting math for battlespot (lvl 50) theorizing. Resistance values are modified versions of the damage equation which puts damage and HP/Defense into the same unit. I have the math on hand if anyone is interested but just work with me here.

A fully defensive Darm comes into the battle with:
212HP|100Def|92SDef
Defense Resistance- 530K
Special Def Resistance- 476K

After a Belly Drum Darm moves into Zen Mode:
106HP|155Def|152SDef
Defense Resistance- 410K
Special Def Resistance- 376K

Assuming Darm gets a BD off before being hit there is a VERY strong chance to expect a Rest-Lum/Chesto combo bringing him along to just wreck house with a very powerful Flame Charge (for sweeping bonuses) or a Super Power. It is TOTALLY a gimmick and could be unreliable compared to other 'sure fire' options (what if they get a critical hit or have a super effective attack like EQ?) but a person could have fun with it.
In doubles or triple/rotation you'd be able to have more chance. (Perhaps even just BD with a held leftovers and a 'Mat Block')

On its own Darm-Z just isn't worthwhile. You literally HAVE to build a team around it.

Some interesting math for battlespot (lvl 50) theorizing. Resistance values are modified versions of the damage equation which puts damage and HP/Defense into the same unit. I have the math on hand if anyone is interested but just work with me here.

A fully defensive Darm comes into the battle with:
212HP|100Def|92SDef
Defense Resistance- 530K
Special Def Resistance- 476K

After a Belly Drum Darm moves into Zen Mode:
106HP|155Def|152SDef
Defense Resistance- 410K
Special Def Resistance- 376K

Assuming Darm gets a BD off before being hit there is a VERY strong chance to expect a Rest-Lum/Chesto combo bringing him along to just wreck house with a very powerful Flame Charge (for sweeping bonuses) or a Super Power. It is TOTALLY a gimmick and could be unreliable compared to other 'sure fire' options (what if they get a critical hit or have a super effective attack like EQ?) but a person could have fun with it.
In doubles or triple/rotation you'd be able to have more chance. (Perhaps even just BD with a held leftovers and a 'Mat Block')

On its own Darm-Z just isn't worthwhile. You literally HAVE to build a team around it.
Sure, so do you want to see my full team made to use zen mode? It's not an ace team, but can win a fair amount of battles. On top of that, can have a fair amount of 3x0 wins. My choice is odd even for zen mode, I use substitute instead of BD given that I explore the boosted evasion.

Last edited:
For discussion purposes I don't mind seeing your Darm-Z team. You could probably post it in the BS RMT thread though.

Drifblim Leftovers
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm
~ Minimize
~ Baton Pass
~ Charge Beam
~ Shadow Ball

I call my team Meditative Team and this balloon is what makes the other "float" while "meditating". XD It's made to setup the evasion boost and with enough luck a SpA boost to make darmanitan even more deadly. After 3 minimizes it's quite hard to land hits at the pokémon and it can pass that legacy to the others with Baton Pass. Unfortunately, this important one can be kicked away with a fast and strong stone edge or night slash.

Darmanitan Lum Berry
Ability: Zen Mode
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Nature: Modest
~ Psychic
~ Substitute
~ Toxic
~ Encore

Here is a Darmanitan you would expect to die before seeing, even if the classic psychic can't hit you because you are kind of dark, it might be quite...intoxicating and finally if you try some stunts, the fiery meditator may enjoy it and encore you. Substitute creates an extra barrier before a hit and helps it getting into zen mode, everything hopefully aided by evasion.

Medicham @Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
~ Double Edge
~ Fire Punch
~ Thunder Punch
~ Drain Punch

Just in case you won't fall for the cool Darmanitan, there's still this fast and furious one that may mess with your type protection.

There might be some things to adjust in the team, I didn't check precisely, but maybe mega medicham is better.

Darmanitan Z is great and all...But you realize it gets a Speed drop? When it does turn to Darmanitan Z, It won't be able to hit first, As for the Belly Drum Darmanitan, That's pointless for reasons being, Darmanitan Z is a Special Attacking form of himself. Won't make sense to Belly drum, However I love the Meditative Team with your Minimize strategy, That could work out, But with all the pokemon currently in the OU And Uber metagames and Battle Spot, It's hard to make this set-up.

~This isn't a necro-post, ~

Just looking at the stats of Darmanitan-Z it looks pretty damn good as a wall.

The major issue is that for a lot of moves, Darmanitan just can't really take hits to save it's life. It'd be stuck in the 1/3rd health range, and the moment it goes beyond that it reverts back to it's original form...which isn't helpful in the slightest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)