VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have good male Meowstic setups?

I was using dual screens but I lose if meowstic is the last pokemon. Right now I am running quick guard, thunder wave, swagger, and ???. Not sure what to put in slot 4.

Last edited:
Still worth it? I thought it already stopped getting used when it became a special attack. Now that it's also 60 power, I don't really see the point. Heracross is the only VGC-legal pokémon that HP Flying hits harder than either Flamethrower or Dragon Pulse (let alone Fire Blast or Draco Meteor). Assault Vest really has nothing to do with it.
Well, it did have a point. It could 2HKO more defensive Hitmontops, Hariyamas and Scrafties without resorting to Draco Meteor whereas Dragon Pulse failed. It still does if Salamence has a Life Orb, unless they decide to wear Assault Vest, obviously.

Do people typically run Mega Kangaskhan with full speed investment?
Yes, according to the monthly stats the most used spreas is the Jolly cookiecutter one, followed by Adamant with HP/Atk or Adamant with Atk/Spd. Expect not to outrun her with anything slower than base 101.

Eviolite Clefairy or Chansey any good with Friend Guard?
They have a great movepool with aromathrapy, toxic, twave, follow me, disable, safeguard, dual screens, heal pulse, etc.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If Chansey got Friend Guard, you can be damn certain it'd have been a Doubles staple for years now. Unfortunately, only Happiny does.

Eviolite Clefairy or Chansey any good with Friend Guard?
They have a great movepool with aromathrapy, toxic, twave, follow me, disable, safeguard, dual screens, heal pulse, etc.
Clefairy with evolite/friend guard seems like a good tactic, but does not really work so great when using it. Like Mr.E said, Chansey can not have friend guard.

Do we have anymore information on UK nationals, other than dates and location? Do we know which event is happening on which days? From past events the VGC event happened on the first day and the TCG event happens on the second day, is that all we have to go on?
According to this Facebook page, both will take place on both days. To quote, "The main event will occur on the Saturday, with the final cut being played on Sunday. The number of people playing in day 2 will depend on the overall turn out but is expected to be 32."

Can anyone help me with my team?

Ferrothorn (Rocky Helmet)
Iron Barbs Sassy
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Atk
-Spikes
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Protect
(Used for setting up spikes, and leech seed)

Azumarill (Assault Vest)
Huge Power Adamant
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Spd
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Ice Punch
-Superpower
(Physical Attacker)

Alakazam (Alakazite)
Magic Guard Timid
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
-Psyshock
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Shadow Ball
(Special Attacker)

Jellicent (Leftovers)
Cursed Body Calm
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Def
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic
-Taunt
(Defensive wall, and taunter)

Aegislash (Weakness Policy)
Stance Change Adamant
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Def
-Shadow Sneak
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Sacred Sword
(Boost Sweeper)

Smeargle (Focus Sash)
Technician Jolly
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Atk
-Baton Pass
-Cosmic Power
-Spore
-Rapid Spin
(Set up and rapid spinner)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
How have those EVs on Smeargle been working for ya?

And the Spikes on Ferrothorn? Have those helped you so far?

In fact, what are you trying to do with your team? How does each member work with and complement the next? How has it tested? What have you noticed that threatens it? How do you arrange things to counter the most common threats?

No one can give you any help beyond pointing out obviously silly stuff without answering those questions. Plus, there's a RMT forum.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/xy-other-teams.292/

Good luck.

Last edited:
A Streamer who was playing VGC said that the pokemon must be on your own OT, does that mean i cant use a pokemon my friend bred me, or is he false on this info

What is a good moveset on mega lucario in the VGC format, why havent I see him anywhere. I know the standard singles lucario sets but im talking about if there any VGC sets for special attacking mega lucario?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What is a good moveset on mega lucario in the VGC format, why havent I see him anywhere. I know the standard singles lucario sets but im talking about if there any VGC sets for special attacking mega lucario?
he isn't seen anywhere because he's fragile as hell and in a meta where EQ and heat wave are everywhere

Wolfe Glicke has used NP Mega Lucario at two US regionals, the team can be found here

Working on my VGC Legal team and I was hoping for some input, and possibly a suggestion for the 6th Pokemon. What I have so far is:

Choice Scarf Tyratitar
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge

First guy I picked for this team, because TTar is just a beast. Choice Scarf allows him to be a powerful revenge killer, and yet he's still bulky enough to just switch in every now and them and force a switch or check Talonflame.

Garchompite Garchomp
Naughty
180 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 78 Spe
~ Draco Meteor
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Stone Edge

Mega-Garchomp is just so well suited for this role, especially with SS and Sand Force making Edgequake a truely frightening attack combo.

Dreadplate Bisharp
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
~ Pursuit
~ Sucker Punch
~ Iron Head
~ Stealth Rock

Defiant and SR in one set feels too good to pass up, but I'm still a little shaky on this one. Fighting is getting to be a bit of a weakness, and I feel like the draw of Bisharp is, in part, Knock Off. Since Knock Off isn't VGC legal I'm calling into question how well this Pokemon can pull his weight.

Sitrus Berry Azumarill
Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
~ Belly Drum
~ Aqua Jet
~ Play Rough
~ Waterfall

My answer to the growing fighting weakness. Azumarill is honestly just a good Pokemon to keep around though. Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is extremely hard to deal with residual SS damage and SR hazards.

Chesto Berry Rotom-W
Calm
248 HP/ 252 SpD/ 8 Def
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Hydro Pump
~ Volt Switch
~ Rest

It's such a common Pokemon, so I really hate being so reliant on it, but it's also just so good... You don't get to be in the top 8 by being awful.

Life Orb Roserade
Timid
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
~ Sleep Powder
~ Spikes
~ Leaf Storm/ Giga Drain?
~ Sludge Bomb

Honestly I don't know, I was just running out of ideas. The additional residual damage is nice, and being a decent check to Azumarill is cool. Not too attached to this one.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Working on my VGC Legal team and I was hoping for some input, and possibly a suggestion for the 6th Pokemon. What I have so far is:

Choice Scarf Tyratitar
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge

First guy I picked for this team, because TTar is just a beast. Choice Scarf allows him to be a powerful revenge killer, and yet he's still bulky enough to just switch in every now and them and force a switch or check Talonflame.

Garchompite Garchomp
Naughty
180 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 78 Spe
~ Draco Meteor
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Stone Edge

Mega-Garchomp is just so well suited for this role, especially with SS and Sand Force making Edgequake a truely frightening attack combo.

Dreadplate Bisharp
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
~ Pursuit
~ Sucker Punch
~ Iron Head
~ Stealth Rock

Defiant and SR in one set feels too good to pass up, but I'm still a little shaky on this one. Fighting is getting to be a bit of a weakness, and I feel like the draw of Bisharp is, in part, Knock Off. Since Knock Off isn't VGC legal I'm calling into question how well this Pokemon can pull his weight.

Sitrus Berry Azumarill
Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
~ Belly Drum
~ Aqua Jet
~ Play Rough
~ Waterfall

My answer to the growing fighting weakness. Azumarill is honestly just a good Pokemon to keep around though. Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is extremely hard to deal with residual SS damage and SR hazards.

Chesto Berry Rotom-W
Calm
248 HP/ 252 SpD/ 8 Def
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Hydro Pump
~ Volt Switch
~ Rest

It's such a common Pokemon, so I really hate being so reliant on it, but it's also just so good... You don't get to be in the top 8 by being awful.

Life Orb Roserade
Timid
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
~ Sleep Powder
~ Spikes
~ Leaf Storm/ Giga Drain?
~ Sludge Bomb

Honestly I don't know, I was just running out of ideas. The additional residual damage is nice, and being a decent check to Azumarill is cool. Not too attached to this one.
put protect on everything that isn't choiced or really really needs that 4th moveslot

also hazards are useless in VGC

I am thinking of using male Meowstic as Trick Room Setter, however I heard that Prankster does not make Trick Room go first. I have unfortunately no way of testing this atm, can someone confirm this or is this not correct?

I am thinking of using male Meowstic as Trick Room Setter, however I heard that Prankster does not make Trick Room go first. I have unfortunately no way of testing this atm, can someone confirm this or is this not correct?
Prankster doesn't effect Trick Room usefully, it raises it's priority from -7 to -6. So most of the time it will still go last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)