Modest 252SpA 252spe/HP?
-sub
-shadow ball
-drain punch
-unknown, maybe pup or another coverage move

we both lead with our own respective kangaskhan
i switched in gourgeist while it drain punched
it hit me with a shadow ball which did over half while i went for leech seed
then it subs up on my wow and killed me with another shadow ball after i protected once for a bit more leech seed damage.

I brought back in my own kanga who hadnt evolved, still outspeeded and took it out with my double seismic toss.
That is weird. But honestly isn't that why Pokemon is fun? You can find special kanghaskan and still get your team swept by it lol

Want to add my Lapras? Been carrying me to victory this entire season and 18-2 day one of the Beta competition. Usually catches people off-guard and I LOVE it!

Pls2CUsaur (Lapras) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature 6IV
EVs: 204HP/60 D/172 SpAttk/68 SpDef/4 Attk
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze Dry
- Ancient Power
- Ice Shard

IVs are something I am still playing around with. Been testing AV Lapras with success and I an a fan of it. Usually run Sitrus Berry.... but changed it up recently.

Want to add my Lapras? Been carrying me to victory this entire season and 18-2 day one of the Beta competition. Usually catches people off-guard and I LOVE it!

Pls2CUsaur (Lapras) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature 6IV
EVs: 204HP/60 D/172 SpAttk/68 SpDef/4 Attk
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze Dry
- Ancient Power
- Ice Shard

IVs are something I am still playing around with. Been testing AV Lapras with success and I an a fan of it. Usually run Sitrus Berry.... but changed it up recently.
I am one to love a good nickname, that nickname is...amazing!!

Had a Snorlax mirror-match yesterday. My Assault Vest Lax versus his....Metronome Lax? It was hilarious. I believe his set was:

Leftovers
-Metronome
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Body Slam

He Fire Spinned and then Thundered me, but I got lucky and hit three straight Power-Up Punches through paralysis.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if this qualifies as weird, but a while ago I got owned by a Sap Sipper Perish Song Azumarill with Gothitelle in doubles x_x

I ran into an Ambipom the other day, and the only moves it had on it were Fake Out and Last Resort. I assume these were its only moves, since you can only use Last Resort after all other moves have been used, and it used Fake Out right before. An extremely gimmicky set but it took me by surprise.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if this qualifies as weird, but a while ago I got owned by a Sap Sipper Perish Song Azumarill with Gothitelle in doubles x_x
Haha yeah that is a weird set...But I actually did list perish trapping Azumarill somewhere in there, though it was in singles. Same concept though right?

I ran into an Ambipom the other day, and the only moves it had on it were Fake Out and Last Resort. I assume these were its only moves, since you can only use Last Resort after all other moves have been used, and it used Fake Out right before. An extremely gimmicky set but it took me by surprise.
Got any idea what item it might have held?

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha yeah that is a weird set...But I actually did list perish trapping Azumarill somewhere in there, though it was in singles. Same concept though right?
Well, since it was doubles, the guy was using Gothitelle. I had already misplayed a lot in that match, but I thought I was gonna win because I had Ferrothorn in store. I did NOT expect Sap Sipper, totally screwed me up!

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Ambipom was holding a Life Orb.

Don't tell me it was your Ambipom? ha ha
Lol, nah. Just needed to know if ya knew it, helps to get as much info as possible

Well, since it was doubles, the guy was using Gothitelle. I had already misplayed a lot in that match, but I thought I was gonna win because I had Ferrothorn in store. I did NOT expect Sap Sipper, totally screwed me up!
Haha, well alright, I'll add your input into the post in the OP as well

Does anyone know how Weakness Policy Jellicent is supposed to work? I saw one in the Beta Competition, but KOed it before it could move. According to the stats, there were at least 4 people running them.

I suppose maybe the idea is to take a SE hit the first turn, Recover off the damage, let your parter activate Trick Room, then use a +2 Water Spout?

Does anyone know how Weakness Policy Jellicent is supposed to work? I saw one in the Beta Competition, but KOed it before it could move. According to the stats, there were at least 4 people running them.

I suppose maybe the idea is to take a SE hit the first turn, Recover off the damage, let your parter activate Trick Room, then use a +2 Water Spout?
Do you have the Battle Video saved? I'm interested in seeing how it works also.

I saw the weirdest Kecleon set today on rating battle...

Kecleon @ Sitrus Berry
Protean

Toxic
Shadow Sneak
Recover
???

I led with my Mega Kangaskhan, they led with this Kecleon. Mega Evolved and used double Fake Out the first turn. I thought double Power-up Punch would be enough to take it out, and it would have been, if not for the random Sitrus Berry. Then they Toxic'd me. On the next turn, I don't know why I didn't just go for the Sucker Punch (I guess I was expecting the Protect) so I went for Return. But this Kecleon used Shadow Sneak, which of course didn't affect me, but because of Protean, my Return didn't affect IT either. So on the next turn, I really don't know what I was thinking this time, because I used Return again. I think my line of reasoning was that Kecleon was going to Protean-change to another type and I could hit it with Return again, but since I am faster that wouldn't have even worked, so I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was just shocked that I was getting owned by a Kecleon, so I wasn't thinking -_-

Anyway, Return didn't work (as is to be expected) but then Kecleon used Recover. At this point, Toxic damage is racking up. So now, I really did start thinking again, and I thought "Okay, my opponent probably doesn't expect me to have Sucker Punch, otherwise I would have used it by now. So the natural choice would be to Shadow Sneak to avoid the Return again." Which is exactly what happened. I KO'ed the Kecleon and breathed a sigh of relief.

Anyway, that's my little anecdote. But yeah, that set... I don't know if was meant to take on Mega Kangaskhan or not, but it was effective in this battle.

I saw the weirdest Kecleon set today on rating battle...

Kecleon @ Sitrus Berry
Protean

Toxic
Shadow Sneak
Recover
???

I led with my Mega Kangaskhan, they led with this Kecleon. Mega Evolved and used double Fake Out the first turn. I thought double Power-up Punch would be enough to take it out, and it would have been, if not for the random Sitrus Berry. Then they Toxic'd me. On the next turn, I don't know why I didn't just go for the Sucker Punch (I guess I was expecting the Protect) so I went for Return. But this Kecleon used Shadow Sneak, which of course didn't affect me, but because of Protean, my Return didn't affect IT either. So on the next turn, I really don't know what I was thinking this time, because I used Return again. I think my line of reasoning was that Kecleon was going to Protean-change to another type and I could hit it with Return again, but since I am faster that wouldn't have even worked, so I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was just shocked that I was getting owned by a Kecleon, so I wasn't thinking -_-

Anyway, Return didn't work (as is to be expected) but then Kecleon used Recover. At this point, Toxic damage is racking up. So now, I really did start thinking again, and I thought "Okay, my opponent probably doesn't expect me to have Sucker Punch, otherwise I would have used it by now. So the natural choice would be to Shadow Sneak to avoid the Return again." Which is exactly what happened. I KO'ed the Kecleon and breathed a sigh of relief.

Anyway, that's my little anecdote. But yeah, that set... I don't know if was meant to take on Mega Kangaskhan or not, but it was effective in this battle.
Isnt it the standard smogon UU set as well? Double stab priority with types that complement each other.
Ive seen it once and just predicted a recover and switched in sableye and called it a game.

I saw person use 6 meowstic - 3 male - 3 female on battle spot
wasn't terrible actually
In the Beta Competition, I went against someone with 6 Bibarels. 3 Male, 3 Female; and all of which were moody. Unsurprisingly, their ranking was ~200 below mine at roughly 1300. Ahhh, good memories.

In the Beta Competition, I went against someone with 6 Bibarels. 3 Male, 3 Female; and all of which were moody. Unsurprisingly, their ranking was ~200 below mine at roughly 1300. Ahhh, good memories.
Was that during the first or second day of the competition? If so it might've been a scout team.

I've been seeing some weird things in Doubles...

Let's see...

Porygon 2
Download
- Return
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- ???

It nearly 2hkos Bold 252 HP/252 Def Blissey with +1 Return. O_o

I also just fought this Sylveon that had...

Sylveon (F)
Pixilate
- Quick Attack
- HP Fire/Ground
- Psyshock
- ??? (Hyper Voice?)

Finished off my Garchomp and Critblicked KOed my Mega Mawile.

In Singles once I remember...

Talonflame @ Shell Bell
- Taunt
- Will-o-wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Unfortunately for me I had brought Mawile/Blissey/Cresselia in that battle...

I've seen a dude running this:

Charizard X

Defensive Nature
@ Charizardite X

- Will-o-Wisp
- Roost
- Flame Charge
- ? (Outrage)

Preys on Charizard-Y's checks and counters.

Theorymon

So, I saw an very interesting set used by a Japanese player with a ranking of over 1900 in Doubles, that Im tempted to try out now.

Arcanine @Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
-Morning Sun
-Heat Wave
-Snarl
-Protect

The idea seemed to be to Snarl special attackers into obilivion, and use Morning Sun to stall stuff like Mega Charizard Y. Not sure how effective it is, and it probably does have competition with Mega Manectric, but screwing up some Mega Charizard Y, not using up a mega slot, and having recovery do sound like nice advantages. Also, the weaknesses to Water and Rock sound very annoying compared to Mega Manectric, but the player actually used it with Gastrodon, which provided some nice synergy. Gastrodon would Storm Drain away Rotom-W's Hydro Pumps, making it Snarl bait, and Arcanine could Heat Wave grass types (though maybe Fire Blast would be better to hit Mega Mawile and Venusaur harder). Just gotta watch out for Megazard Y Solarbeams I guess.

CoolStoryBrobat

So, I saw an very interesting set used by a Japanese player with a ranking of over 1900 in Doubles, that Im tempted to try out now.

Arcanine Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
-Morning Sun
-Heat Wave
-Snarl
-Protect

The idea seemed to be to Snarl special attackers into obilivion, and use Morning Sun to stall stuff like Mega Charizard Y. Not sure how effective it is, and it probably does have competition with Mega Manectric, but screwing up some Mega Charizard Y, not using up a mega slot, and having recovery do sound like nice advantages. Also, the weaknesses to Water and Rock sound very annoying compared to Mega Manectric, but the player actually used it with Gastrodon, which provided some nice synergy. Gastrodon would Storm Drain away Rotom-W's Hydro Pumps, making it Snarl bait, and Arcanine could Heat Wave grass types (though maybe Fire Blast would be better to hit Mega Mawile and Venusaur harder). Just gotta watch out for Megazard Y Solarbeams I guess.
Big fan of Snarl Arcanine over here and I've always wanted to use it so this post is definitely helpful. But if at all possible, do you have any idea on the EVs? I'm assuming max HP for sure, but you think it'd be Defense? Or something else? I'm not super versed in VGC so it could be running enough SpA to beat something for all I know

I got destroyed by someone using this

Espeon @ Choice Specs(?)
Ability: Magic Bounce
-Stored Power
-?
-?
-?

They baton passed a shell smash to Espeon, and I didn't have any priority to finish it off after it got hit switching in.

CoolStoryBrobat

So as I was trying to learn Doubles, I got confounded by this funky Electabuzz today:

Electabuzz (Female) @ ? (I have no idea what it was holding)
Trait: Vital Spirit/Static
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (I think it may be Modest...My Timid Charizard outran it, I believe)
- Thunderbolt
- Attract
- Thunder Wave
- ?

I managed to win, but this was just a weird set that caught me off-guard. Used Attract on my Aegislash (Why does a sword have a gender anyway) and then paralyzed it with Thunder Wave to basically have it incapacitated for an extra 3 turns. Not the most devastating set ever but it has the potential to be annoying because it just unexpectedly infatuates something of yours and then cripples it if at all possible.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
-Spore
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Rock Tomb

Has anyone faced this before in singles? He paired this up with a hippopowdon whose only purpose is to yawn. It ended up being a battle with this Breloom vs my sleeping hippopowdon and sleeping azumarill. Even at +6, rock tomb was a 7hko at best against my hippopowdon.

Talonflame
Nature and EVS:?????(Impish)
Rocky Helment (sometimes the Charti Berry)
-Will~O~Wisp
-Tuant
-Brave Bird
-Roost
I kid you not this set has and made me lose multiple games because I almost always brought my T-tar(D-dance set Chople Berry). Also my Weakness Policy Multiscale D-dance Dragonite(Won me multiple Battle Spot single battles). Due to Talonflame being naturally faster than a good portion of the meta game, Those two physical attackers were basically almost always crippled and if I got a d-dance up with Dragonite before this weird talonflame came in I was like good let's get the easy kill with Dragon Claw, but...NO! it lived with HALF ITS HP PEOPLE and Will-O-Wisped me and it won him/her the game because M-Kanga killed my lead focus sashed Jolteon so I lost all hope because we all know that T-tar is SLOW EVEN WITH JOLLY NATURE! And we all know why tuant was there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)