Battle Mechanics Research

I haven't done any tests on switch changes since my last post. I'm sorry.

As for Mega-Evo, it apparently loses it's effect upon changing. Tested on 252atk/252def Aggron Heavy Slam [Baton Passed into Power Trick] v. 252hp/252def/reflect Sylveon

252 Atk Mega Aggron Power Trick Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sylveon through Reflect: 163-193 (80.6 - 95.5%) is what should have happened. "

I was skeptical when it actually only did 127 damage

However, the following calculation seemed to make more sense:

252 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sylveon through Reflect: 111-132 (54.9 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

indeed, the stat update of mega evolution nullifies the effect of a baton passed Power Trick.

That's interesting.

I wonder if it also negates the effects of power split/guard spilt on the pokemon then.

Edit. Holy shit, slyveon is surprising. Able to take a stab base 120 neutral hit (super effective pretty much cancels out reflect) from a 230 basepower mon, blows my mind for something with 95/65 physical bulk.

Last edited:
It simply switches, as far as Defiant goes. Raseri and I tested; Bisharp did not get any Attack boost after getting its +2 Defense swapped to -2. Because it's not treated as a drop, I would also imagine it will not activate Contrary (a +1 Pokemon would become -1 in that stat, not +2). I don't have one on hand to test, though.
How does Topsy-Turvy interact with White Herb?

Given the interactions with Defiant and Contrary, I assume that it wouldn't trigger White Herb (besides the fact that White Herb only reverses stats back to 0; it doesn't activate for Draco Meteor if Latios uses it after using Calm Mind twice, for example.

I'd say this is worth testing, though.

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
How does Topsy-Turvy interact with White Herb?

Given the interactions with Defiant and Contrary, I assume that it wouldn't trigger White Herb (besides the fact that White Herb only reverses stats back to 0; it doesn't activate for Draco Meteor if Latios uses it after using Calm Mind twice, for example.

I'd say this is worth testing, though.
I tested this in-game using an Inkay and a Toxicroak, and Toxicroak's White Herb activated upon its Bulk Up boosts being reversed by Topsy-Turvy.

I tested this in-game using an Inkay and a Toxicroak, and Toxicroak's White Herb activated upon its Bulk Up boosts being reversed by Topsy-Turvy.
That's really interesting. Did it bring them back to the boosted levels, or did it essentially just reset Toxicroak's stats (as if it had no boosts)?

If a Pokemon Tricks its item away but doesn't receive one in return,
its Symbiosis partner will not share its item with the Trick user.

AJGW-WWWW-WWW6-GJUT

Regarding Mold Breaker - we know its stated purpose is stopping the defending Pokemon's abilities from negatively influencing the user's attacks, but does it stop them from positively influencing the attacks as well? For example, does it undo the damage bonus from Dry Skin? This seems like it could be most along the lines of the Aura abilities.

Bulbapedia has listed the move Scald as being able to thaw Scald's target in XY. I have looked in several different places and have only found a few reports on GameFAQs messages boards which confirm Bulbapedia's claims. Since I do not have a 3DS I do not have a way to test this myself but I feel this is something worth looking into.

Recently had someone come onto #Mentor with this question and a search of this topic brought no answer.

If a Pokemon uses Imprison on a Pokemon, and then uses Transform on the same Pokemon, are all the Imprisoned Pokemon's moves blocked? Seems to me this depends on Imprison's mechanics; are the moves that are blocked set when the move is first used, or is it reset for every turn? This should be easy enough to test with a Smeargle if anyone has the time.

Recently had someone come onto #Mentor with this question and a search of this topic brought no answer.

If a Pokemon uses Imprison on a Pokemon, and then uses Transform on the same Pokemon, are all the Imprisoned Pokemon's moves blocked? Seems to me this depends on Imprison's mechanics; are the moves that are blocked set when the move is first used, or is it reset for every turn? This should be easy enough to test with a Smeargle if anyone has the time.
Yes, any moveset changes in the Imprisoning pokemon (including the effect of Baton Pass) or the imprisoned foes will be accounted for.

Recently it's come to my attention that Roost may no longer remove the flying-type on the turn used. Tested on Lugia v. Glaceon. on the same turn Roost was used, glaceon used Ice Beam and it still delivered the "Super Effective" message.

More research needs to be done to understand if this is a graphical glitch, or really did SE damage.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What happens if an assault vest is switcherood/tricked onto a pokemon who is currently in the charge-up part of Geomancy (i.e. without a power herb and the tricker is slower)? What if the pokemon is about to use Geomancy but hasn't yet (i.e. the tricker is faster)?

Recently it's come to my attention that Roost may no longer remove the flying-type on the turn used. Tested on Lugia v. Glaceon. on the same turn Roost was used, glaceon used Ice Beam and it still delivered the "Super Effective" message.

More research needs to be done to understand if this is a graphical glitch, or really did SE damage.
Did Lugia have max health prior? Roost has never taken away the Flying-type if the user doesn't actually heal.

What happens if an assault vest is switcherood/tricked onto a pokemon who is currently in the charge-up part of Geomancy (i.e. without a power herb and the tricker is slower)? What if the pokemon is about to use Geomancy but hasn't yet (i.e. the tricker is faster)?
If the tricker is faster the move would be canceled, but I'm unsure what happens if the move is already used.. Probably canceled.

Although you won't have to worry about that much since the only mon who can trick an assault vest is Lopunny.

Bulbapedia has listed the move Scald as being able to thaw Scald's target in XY. I have looked in several different places and have only found a few reports on GameFAQs messages boards which confirm Bulbapedia's claims. Since I do not have a 3DS I do not have a way to test this myself but I feel this is something worth looking into.
Will try this dude, but it'll probably take a while to get to.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Does Magic Bounce bounce it back?

I should try this ingame if nobody's tried it. It might be one of the weird exceptions like Heart Swap
Magic Bounce bounces back anything hazard wise/non damaging that is meant to be inflicted on the user. Topsy Turvy falls under this category, so indeed it is also bounced back with Magic Bounce. (That being said, don't have any positive stats when trying to use this move on a Magic Bouncer :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)