Abilities: Sand Stream / Unnerve
Mega Ability: Sand Stream
Base Stats: 100 / 134 / 110 / 95 / 100 / 61
Mega Stats: 100 / 164 / 150 / 95 / 120 / 71
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/tyranitar/moves
TM98 Power-Up Punch
Stats and movepool unconfirmed

General Description:
Tyranitar is a flexible Pokemon this generation. Although it no longer provides perma Sand for the likes of Excadrill, the new Assault Vest can buff its already high spdef. Alternatively, it can equip a mega stone and serve as yet another Ho-Oh check as the defensively bulky Mega Tyranitar. Also it can possibly run a dangerous DD set with that crucial boost to its speed after mega evolving. Its anti-leading capabilities are less valuable now that Defog clears hazards easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering which set of this mon will be most effectly in uber after pokebank.
I'm debated between those two sets:

Assault vest
252hp 4atk 252+sdef
superpower
stone edge
crunch
pursuit

Mega
252hp 252+atk 4sdef
stealth rock/roar/twave (depending on team)
pursuit
stone edge
superpower

I personally don't like choise item on him while very viable (both band and scarf).

I was wondering which of this mon's sets will be most effective in Pokebank Ubers.
I'm debating between those two sets:

Assault vest
252hp 4atk 252+sdef
superpower
stone edge
crunch
pursuit

Mega
252hp 252+atk 4sdef
stealth rock/roar/twave (depending on team)
pursuit
stone edge
superpower

I personally don't like using a choice item on him even if it is very viable.
Okay, for starters, Superpower is probably not the best choice for a fighting move in Ubers; Low Kick does similar damage for the most part, as you tend to be facing heavier opponents, and the lack of Attack and Defense drops is a nice plus. Furthermore, I personally would not go with Pursuit over Crunch on Mega T-Tar, but I suppose it depends on how much you prioritize trapping.

Other than that, both can be quite viable. My personal preference tends to be towards Mega Tyranitar, as it has enough base Special Def. to make the difference between the two less important and the base defense buff makes it bulkier overall. On top of that, access to status and support moves allows for Mega T-Tar to be a tad less predictable than its AV cousin. Of course, the Assault Vest set's ungodly Special bulk is quite the weapon in a tier traditionally full of special attackers, so it's probably a tad too early to make a call as to which is better. Thus, just go with whichever one suits your team better; a ridiculously bulky special tank, or a less restricted sand-setter.

Okay, for starters, Superpower is probably not the best choice for a fighting move in Ubers; Low Kick does similar damage for the most part, as you tend to be facing heavier opponents, and the lack of Attack and Defense drops is a nice plus. Furthermore, I personally would not go with Pursuit over Crunch on Mega T-Tar, but I suppose it depends on how much you prioritize trapping.

Other than that, both can be quite viable. My personal preference tends to be towards Mega Tyranitar, as it has enough base Special Def. to make the difference between the two less important and the base defense buff makes it bulkier overall. On top of that, access to status and support moves allows for Mega T-Tar to be a tad less predictable than its AV cousin. Of course, the Assault Vest set's ungodly Special bulk is quite the weapon in a tier traditionally full of special attackers, so it's probably a tad too early to make a call as to which is better. Thus, just go with whichever one suits your team better; a ridiculously bulky special tank, or a less restricted sand-setter.
yeah mega TTar for the most part is better for sheer versatility. But pursuit is really important to be able to trap mega-gengar and the giratina forms who have access to the coveted defog. AV's main niche though would have to be just to counter the metagame as with low kick it can deal good damage to most of the special attackers and it has a great attack type to nail the flying types as well as the ability to hit every dragon in the tier for SE damage.

Assault Vest Tyranitar is not that good. Similarly to what I have outlined about AV Dialga and Groudon, SR is too important to give up here. Do not that Mega-Tyranitar has better stats overall and the difference in special defense is ≈25 % which is not the biggest deal ever.

Tyranitar is very viable poke even in Pokébank Ubers, do use its Mega-forme though, it is significantly better in a tanking role when compared to for example Lum Ttar or Chople Ttar.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Honestly speaking, pursuit isn't good on tytar at all. The lati twins aren't exactly common now and when pokebank comes out they'll be nonexistent. Aegis is a 50-50 since if they KS you on the pursuit turn as opposed to switching then you lose. Aegis is also able to ohko with sacred sword while being able to live a crunch. So not exactly th safest scenario. Gira just doesn't give a fuck and outspeed and WoM standard tytars thus crippling it for the rest of te match.

Overall, pursuit isn't as good as it was last gen. Not to say tytar isn't a good poke by any means. Also AV tytar is also horribly outclassed thanks to having a weakness to the omnipresent water/fighting/ground so even with the boost from AV + sandstorm tytar can't tank much but what's worse than that is how it has little offensive presence if you choose to go that route. AV is better suited for something like dialga/palkia/zekrom who aren't reliant on status moves. Overall tytars still good but not for the reasons that have been listed

252 SpA Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 176-210 (43.5 - 51.9%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 153-180 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

assault vest tyranitar outright beats any kyogre that doesnt have a special attack boosting nature and has a chance to beat kyogre with a special attack boosting nature.

any damage the t-tar doesnt dish out is alleviated somewhat by the sandstorm.

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 150-176 (37.1 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 188-224 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 156-184 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

tyranitar slightly outdamages any xerneas that doesnt run focus blast. tyranitar can easily pick off a xerneas thats weakened to about 50% and have no fear of losing.

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 120-144 (29.7 - 35.6%) -- 25.3% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 240-288 (59.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 360-424 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 248-294 (87.9 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

assault vest tyranitar can serve as a check to purely specially offensive variants of mega lucario, but its not necessarily a full-blown counter.

252+ SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 168-200 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 300-354 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

tyranitar doesnt have to fear the aura sphere from mewtwo and can 2hit KO decisively with crunch.

tyranitar still has a lot of power even with no investment. its not like blissey where it has absolutely no offensive power and can only wall and stall.

252 SpA Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 176-210 (43.5 - 51.9%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 153-180 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

assault vest tyranitar outright beats any kyogre that doesnt have a special attack boosting nature and has a chance to beat kyogre with a special attack boosting nature.

any damage the t-tar doesnt dish out is alleviated somewhat by the sandstorm.
You still get 2hko'd regardless and these calc's aren't even for specs kyogre meaning you won't be switching in and if kyogre comes in after your ttar is on the field spout will OHKO.

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 150-176 (37.1 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 188-224 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 156-184 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

tyranitar slightly outdamages any xerneas that doesnt run focus blast. tyranitar can easily pick off a xerneas thats weakened to about 50% and have no fear of losing.
Using Assault Vest on Ttar means you are practically begging Xerneas to Geomancy in front of you and proceed to 2hko with moonblast (ohko's after some prior damage) or straight up get ohko'd by focus blast while you do neither.

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 120-144 (29.7 - 35.6%) -- 25.3% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 240-288 (59.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 360-424 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 248-294 (87.9 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

assault vest tyranitar can serve as a check to purely specially offensive variants of mega lucario, but its not necessarily a full-blown counter.
This is not OU so almost all the time you will see a physical luke being used in Ubers and Close Combat OHKO's regardless of whatever Ttar you choose. Furthermore Aura Sphere 2hko's so once again you cant switch in.

252+ SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 168-200 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 300-354 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

tyranitar doesnt have to fear the aura sphere from mewtwo and can 2hit KO decisively with crunch.

tyranitar still has a lot of power even with no investment. its not like blissey where it has absolutely no offensive power and can only wall and stall.
Standard Ttar also tanks an aura sphere and ohko's back, not to mention due to a fall in power quite a few guys run Focus Blast on MMY which 2hko's meaning a well timed prediction on an obvious Ttar switch means you get 2hko'd before being able to do anything to it.

Most importantly Assault Vest means you cannot use support moves meaning no access to stealth rocks (and roar) which means you need another mons slot to be free for rocks which is an all time important move and puts even more strain on teambuilding as you have to get proper checks for the above mentioned checks outside of ttar being a one time switch in only and you also become set up fodder to certain threats.

While Ttar is usable in ubers due to certain niches assault vest is probably the wrong way to go about it (imo atleast)

You still get 2hko'd regardless and these calc's aren't even for specs kyogre meaning you won't be switching in and if kyogre comes in after your ttar is on the field spout will OHKO.
after stone edge hits, water spout will be hitting for significantly less damage. a second stone edge or a crunch+sandstorm kills off kyogre. im not saying that tyranitar should switch into a kyogre.
i am talking about scenarios where both are used as leads or tyranitar gets a free switch into kyogre and in that instance, tyranitar will have the weather advantage.

Using Assault Vest on Ttar means you are practically begging Xerneas to Geomancy in front of you and proceed to 2hko with moonblast (ohko's after some prior damage) or straight up get ohko'd by focus blast while you do neither.
which is why i said that tyranitar would be good for picking off a weakened xerneas lowered to about 50% or lower.
focus blast would only be doing about half, moonblast, even less and tyranitar can KO it with iron head. nobody expects iron head on tyranitar and said xerneas would likely attempt to set up thinking that said tyranitar cannot do much damage.

This is not OU so almost all the time you will see a physical luke being used in Ubers and Close Combat OHKO's regardless of whatever Ttar you choose. Furthermore Aura Sphere 2hko's so once again you cant switch in.
i have seen a lot of specially offensive lucarios, or at least they werent purely physical. i just posted those calcs with lucario as a testament to t-tars bulk and its ability to hit back hard.
i have been in situations where lucario has used aura sphere on tyranitar and it just got OHKO'd in return with superpower.

Standard Ttar also tanks an aura sphere and ohko's back, not to mention due to a fall in power quite a few guys run Focus Blast on MMY which 2hko's meaning a well timed prediction on an obvious Ttar switch means you get 2hko'd before being able to do anything to it.
i have never seen focus blast used on mega mewtwo y. either way, relying on focus blast as the only way to hit t-tar is treading on very shaky ground, unless they run focus blast+aura sphere, which is just ridiculous.
Most importantly Assault Vest means you cannot use support moves meaning no access to stealth rocks (and roar) which means you need another mons slot to be free for rocks which is an all time important move and puts even more strain on teambuilding as you have to get proper checks for the above mentioned checks outside of ttar being a one time switch in only and you also become set up fodder to certain threats.

While Ttar is usable in ubers due to certain niches assault vest is probably the wrong way to go about it (imo atleast)
tyranitars stats seem too solid to me for it to merely be a hazard setter. if this were the case, i could just use smeargle. what tyranitar set do you have in mind for ubers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)