2014 April Friendly

So far I am sitting at 30-14 with a 1705 rating. From what I have seen so far, most battles either way are decided by luck. A lot of my loses (and wins for that matter) have been decided by crits, paralyzation and the such. It makes sense since 3v3 is the format where hax most influences the outcome.

Overall I am still having fun with it. Sucks I wasn't able to finish 20 games yesterday (only got to do 15) but I hope to place well at the end. My IGN is Keegan and my team is Xerneas, Greninja, Mega Kanga, Venusaur, Aegislash, Charizard X so if any of you have played me, I would like to know.

Sitting at 1750, would be much higher if I had more time. This is waayyy better than I ever do on regular battle spot. I attribute it to the lack of Japanese and their hacked legendaries. Also, well, everyone is adhereing so strictly to 'standard' movesets and pokemon that it's nice and easy to predict. The ubers are not threatening at all with the possible exception of mewtwo y because there's not a lot of moves they can use. It's also kinda funny to note that I have encountered ZERO "swagplay" users, considering how much people bitch about that I thought it would be all over the place. I guess it's more of a showdown problem? I'll post my team when this is over. My IGN is Chris, lemme know if you think we've battled!

Sitting at 1750, would be much higher if I had more time. This is waayyy better than I ever do on regular battle spot. I attribute it to the lack of Japanese and their hacked legendaries. Also, well, everyone is adhereing so strictly to 'standard' movesets and pokemon that it's nice and easy to predict. The ubers are not threatening at all with the possible exception of mewtwo y because there's not a lot of moves they can use. It's also kinda funny to note that I have encountered ZERO "swagplay" users, considering how much people bitch about that I thought it would be all over the place. I guess it's more of a showdown problem? I'll post my team when this is over. My IGN is Chris, lemme know if you think we've battled!
I have encountered about 5 swag play users out of 50 at this point. I do agree with you that the legends are not threatening in this. All you have to do is prevent Xerneas from being able to attack after a geomancy and it is gg.

I have a question about the competition length. The comp is supposed to close at 1pm on 4/28, Eastern time US. Is this going to be extra time for people to complete leftover battles, or are we getting a fourth block of 20 battles?

Guess we'll find out for sure tonight at midnight UTC.

BTW, 42-18 overall, rating around 1750.

Regarding finding PrankSwag, the only team I encountered was the first one I fought. I saw a few teams that had Klefki and Liepard, but they never showed up.

Ended up 34-26, I'm quite happy with that especially considering my team features none of the usual offenders I've been coming up against time after time. In retrospect I really wish I'd of switched Furfrou for Mega Ampharos, this would have increased by standing against Talonflame, Azumarill and Rotom W/H all which gave me huge headaches.

Ended up 34-26, I'm quite happy with that especially considering my team features none of the usual offenders I've been coming up against time after time. In retrospect I really wish I'd of switched Furfrou for Mega Ampharos, this would have increased by standing against Talonflame, Azumarill and Rotom W/H all which gave me huge headaches.
Really cool that you used a Furfrou. How has it been playing for you throughout your matches?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've had a few losses to Swagger garbage but not full Swagplay. It's more common to see parafusion which is a lot more annoying when you can't hide behind Thundurus, Landorus, etc. Klefki is the most annoying piece of shit in the world and I feel bad for defending Swagger against its ban in OU; I panic whenever I see it in team preview because getting hit by confusion just once can turn the tide of the match. I've also had a few losses against novel things like CB Bisharp (Sucker Punch OHKOs 252HP Aegislash in shield form QQ), a stall team with Shedinja, and Hypnosis Gengar. EDIT; lmao lost to Endeavor Crawdaunt.

I attribute the lack of the ubers to soft resetting logistics and people overpreparing. Xerneas has middling speed unless it gets Geomancy off, and it is outsped or outdamaged by many common threats. Yveltal has a shitton of exploitable weaknesses and average coverage. Mewtwo is beast, not sure why people run the yucky Mewtwo Y sweeper set that is susceptible to common priority because Stalltwo carries me and people play shit against it. Stalltwo is shaky against things with boosting moves though. People are more likely to abuse the OP as fuck Megas (Kanga, Mawile, Charizard, Lucario).

Also seriously people, Greninja sucks, I don't know why people even 1700+ use it with such regularity.

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
42-11 I have still some matches to play though. I am around 1810. I am battling with the same people very often, lol, is there any kevin here? I probably saw the same hypnosis gengar age of kings saw too (and I only won cause a fucking klefki paralised my talonflame so I switched and killed the 3 mon with brave bird). I have seen about 10 guys with greninja and only one showed up lol. My talonflame is awesome *---*

I've had a few losses to Swagger garbage but not full Swagplay. It's more common to see parafusion which is a lot more annoying when you can't hide behind Thundurus, Landorus, etc. Klefki is the most annoying piece of shit in the world and I feel bad for defending Swagger against its ban in OU; I panic whenever I see it in team preview because getting hit by confusion just once can turn the tide of the match. I've also had a few losses against novel things like CB Bisharp (Sucker Punch OHKOs 252HP Aegislash in shield form QQ), a stall team with Shedinja, and Hypnosis Gengar. EDIT; lmao lost to Endeavor Crawdaunt.

I attribute the lack of the ubers to soft resetting logistics and people overpreparing. Xerneas has middling speed unless it gets Geomancy off, and it is outsped or outdamaged by many common threats. Yveltal has a shitton of exploitable weaknesses and average coverage. Mewtwo is beast, not sure why people run the yucky Mewtwo Y sweeper set that is susceptible to common priority because Stalltwo carries me and people play shit against it. Stalltwo is shaky against things with boosting moves though. People are more likely to abuse the OP as fuck Megas (Kanga, Mawile, Charizard, Lucario).

Also seriously people, Greninja sucks, I don't know why people even 1700+ use it with such regularity.
I made sure the Xerneas I got at the start of the game had 31 speed IVs and I have noticed that I outspeed every other Xerneas, mainly I guess for the fact people were too lazy to soft reset for one.

The reason I chose to run Greninja was because of the coverage (and I was to lazy to breed anything else) because I felt it gave me good options dealing with Yveltal and such. I do think its slot could have been better used, and I am definitely regretting a lot of my team choices at the moment.

Really cool that you used a Furfrou. How has it been playing for you throughout your matches?
To be honest I didn't really use it much due to needing Sableye as the wall, however it did have its moments and scared off a couple of Azumarills after being subject to attract and then cotton guard, got a couple of thunderwaves off on switches as well which worked nice as then used attract. Didn't
have much luck with it though as on two occasions I got blasted with sp attack moves straight away despite them having a 25% chance to act :(

also for those unaware:

The power of my sableye
s7VG-WWWW-WWW7-2GLR
L5WG-WWWW-WWW7-2GLU

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
hahahahaha did anyone catch the guy who got to 1859 with a Magneton (Dominic from Trinidad & Tobago)

I beat him but I feel kind of ashamed for having had a lower rating than someone with a Magneton lol >.>

I am 34-26 at this point after starting 15-5 (forget my ranking. It is 1600~). I feel like my team decisions have finally caught up to me and I am getting punished for them. Great to see all of you guys doing well.

Finished!

I forgot my score but it's 58-22 @1850 or some BS.
Team used below:
http://prntscr.com/3e5qgo

I learned quite a few things during this ordeal:

Xerneas + [insert defenive mon here] + Mega Mom in that order is a dang good core and my team's ill-prepared for it.

My Yveltal's bad HP and Defense IVs were so costly; it could not stomach Fake Out + Return from Mega Kangaskhan at all.

I'm a dummy for having Tailwind on Talent Fame instead of Will-o-miss.

My team is super-weak to strong electric types, but I literally saw no other electric types than Rotom-A
and a few Ampharos. Most other electric types either had to occupy a mega slot or had several drawbacks
that would deter others from putting them in their team in the first place.

Mega Aerodactyl f@!&s Talonflame in its feathery ass.That's mostly why I picked
Mega Aerodactyl as my mega: I wanted something that hits fast and hard, and checkmates Talonflame.
...Stone Edge still sucks. Triple bird core I had in mind worked well when I went in with those three.

Turn 0 mindgames are too much; I want to bring Xerneas but dammit they have Scizor AND Ferrothorn AND Talonflame,
so I pick guys that match up poorly against my opponent who's one step ahead and counters my lineup anyway.
Picking Xerneas or what have you despite that worked out in my favor sometimes, because they felt safe with just
implying the thread of those 3 and leaving them out of battle for whatever reason.

Yveltal with Asssault Vest is best Yveltal; it beats opposing Yveltal with LO (thanks to mine's low speed IV and quiet nature, I was sure to
tank a hit from it and sap its health to slowly beat them), most special attackers (even Rotom!), and Aegislash...sometimes.
They can be built to live a Dark Pulse from non-LO variants...and retaliate back with WP-boosted moves. Ow.

And now to get in the lab for Season 4 of the Special ladder: Inverse Battle hype.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your kangaroos ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

So i didn't realize that there was a 4th day of battling so I decided to battle some more. I am currently sitting at ~1930 but I will do like 5 more battles tomorrow since I keep facing people in the 1600s which is risky.

cant say I think I battled you. I looked at this thread before and noticed the guy I was battling had a status that said "lucky egg op" or something like that.

Last edited:
I have 15 battles to go, but I'm turning in for now. I have the day off tomorrow, plus I want to savor being over 1800 for the first time ever for as long as I can.

Breeding a Ferro and a Mawile for this competition was the best decision I had. I had originally thought to go with a scarf Mewtwo with coverage moves like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Aura Sphere and Psystrike, but it was taking waaaaaaay too long to get him to Lv. 100; so, with 5 days to go, I began work on a Mawile and had it ready to go just in time.
My whole team has been putting in great work, especially Ferrothorn. You'd be surprised how many people beat themselves to death trying to take it down!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is worse than the Maison. I've suffered so many game changing critical hits, or missing in a 1v1 situation. I know it's all part of the game but urgh... smh. The impacts these little instances make in the 3v3 environment is so exaggerated compared to 6v6.

I had a proper loss against someone with a rating of 1980+ which was kinda scary seeings how I haven't been able to crack 1750 yet

Also I had a giggle when a guy used trick with his lead Rotom-h against my mewtwo which gave him a lucky egg and me his choice specs. 3 psystrikes later and I had won..

EDIT: flash yeah that was me! You cleaned me out too! I saw that rating before the battle and pretty much gave up there haha

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I hear you....I am so sick of one crit, one miss, one flinch, mon asleep for three instead of two turns, etc. deciding games. I know hax is part of the game but it's extremely frustrating to lose against 1690 opponents because of a coin flip. Makes me not want to play the game because of coinflips. I am mad because the most gamebreaking misses seem to come from my Rotom's Overheat; I think I lost three games because a 90% accuracy move missed at a critical moment. Maybe I'm more frustrated than usual because playing 70 games over the course of three days is quite a bit of Pokemoning!

EDIT;; Holy shit someone has 1980!? I suck lol >.>

P.S. Megazard X just steamrolls my team. Very underrated threat that went under the radar imo. I've seen both DD and bulky variants and they do well against a good portion of the meta - only Azumarill and Carbink resists Dragon/Fire STAB. Carbink sucks and idk if Azu can win against WoW variants.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Age of Kings yep that's what I mean, the only non perfect accuracy moves I'm running are overheat on specs rotom-h and power whip on my Ferro. Most recently I was in a 1v1 with Rotom against a m-luke. He went for close combat and left me around ~15%. I was delighted when Rotom was able to tank it (hadn't run calcs), only for overheat to miss... Also had several Mawile take the risk on swords dancing hoping for a volt switch and being able to clean out after the boost...

And yeah that rating I believe was flash. I tried to get a picture but I missed it!

edit: ran the calcs, he rolled absolute minimum damage on the CC, it should have ohko'd me so I can't be too bitter. Still, if I had opted for volt switch that's a guaranteed ohko after the defence drop so overheat was unnecessary :(

Last edited:
I only managed to get in about 30 battles total, and won't have a chance to play today. Stupid adulthood. Always people wanting me to do stuff and won't leave me be. I lost the last two battles due to interrupting naggers and decided to call it quits, dunno what my final score is. Next competition I'm going on vacation, somewhere isolated (but with wifi). I hope we get something cool for having participated in this.

I have only been playing since October. This whole competitive aspect of the game is new to me but I'm making the best of it. Sitting at only 39 wins (not ashamed LoL) we all start from the beginning.
My comment is after all the IV,s , EV,s movesets and theorycrafting I have read and learned I find it came down to being able to move first and switch out the least. I fully understand that I have a big learning curve and maybe not executing moves in proper order 39 wins almost a 50% split first time out I'll settle for positive attitude I did learn alot but I can't help but feel SPEED AND AVOIDANCE is key. But like I said before I'm glad I did it and happy with my wins when I did win. This site is amazing for the info it provides and examples. My first post on the site hope it isn't foolish good luck everyone...

hahahahaha did anyone catch the guy who got to 1859 with a Magneton (Dominic from Trinidad & Tobago)

I beat him but I feel kind of ashamed for having had a lower rating than someone with a Magneton lol >.>
I battled him, he led with that Magneton and I led with power herb Xerneas. Only situation that close combat over psystrike has been useful, but they still 2HKO'd Xerneas, and they ended up winning. Was surprised by that Magneton. Of course I'm currently 25-15, so I'm nothing great.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Half of my losses were because of the internet... anyway we can already see the ranking? I didnt know it would finish today I would do much more battles... anyway I am above 1800 for the first time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)