3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You have Unaware instead of Magic Guard as the Ability. What are some specific advantages of having Unaware over Magic Guard?
Unaware allows you to ignore accuracy boosters, and safeguard against Pokémon that can boost their special stats alongside Clefable's Calm Mind. Minimize safeguards against the threat of critical hits breaking through Clefable's boosts, and basically makes it unstoppable if you let it set up at all.

You have Unaware instead of Magic Guard as the Ability. What are some specific advantages of having Unaware over Magic Guard?
*Ahem*

Don't have much immediate experience with Drifblim, but as a Minimize abuser, you might want to consider Unaware Minimize Clefable. Being a Fairy means it's immune to Dragon Rush, the strongest move that gains perfect accuracy through Minimize. Unaware also stops any boosting shenanigans from your opponent's side.
And also what ethan06 said.

Unaware is the lynchpin of the Minimize set. Critically, it allows you to boost up in the face of non-banded Dragons, as their unboosted non-Outrage attacks generally lack the punch required to 2hko you, giving you a safe window to heal stall until they miss a few times. If you don't run Unaware, you run the risk of that one or two boosted hits getting through and turning Clefable into a pink splatter. It also stops Hone Claws, even though that's a non-factor for the most part. Do keep an eye out for Band sets, however, as Unaware doesn't ignore those.

Mega Charizard X is one of the few dragons capable of 2hkoing without boosts via Flare Blitz thanks to Tough Claws, although due to Clefable's fully-invested HP, it runs the risk of 3hkoing itself.

*Ahem*

And also what ethan06 said.

Unaware is the lynchpin of the Minimize set. Critically, it allows you to boost up in the face of non-banded Dragons, as their unboosted non-Outrage attacks generally lack the punch required to 2hko you, giving you a safe window to heal stall until they miss a few times. If you don't run Unaware, you run the risk of that one or two boosted hits getting through and turning Clefable into a pink splatter. It also stops Hone Claws, even though that's a non-factor for the most part. Do keep an eye out for Band sets, however, as Unaware doesn't ignore those.

Mega Charizard X is one of the few dragons capable of 2hkoing without boosts via Flare Blitz thanks to Tough Claws, although due to Clefable's fully-invested HP, it runs the risk of 3hkoing itself.
All right, fair enough. I know you mentioned it earlier, but I just wanted to hear some concrete examples (like unboosted non-Outrage attacks).

I'm running a really unconventional (probably not even good) statuser lead in Spiritomb.

I picked him because of the only one weakness and his decent survivability with a spread of HP252/138Def+/120Spd/0IVSpeed-

The low speed IVs are to ensure the activation of the ZoomLens so that he can have a 72% Hypnosis and a 100% Willowisp. He has no damage output means beyond a filler move in Curse, and his original concept was based on a 2nd turn Memento into a DDancing Gyrados/SDancing Hawlucha/SDancing Jolly Haxorous/SDancing Jolly Exadrill.

However, I'm itching more and more for something that is a little bit speedier of a memento user. I'm thinking a Whimsicott with Focus Sash, the speed is a huge plus, and then I've gotten a good support move pool on top.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I'm itching more and more for something that is a little bit speedier of a memento user. I'm thinking a Whimsicott with Focus Sash, the speed is a huge plus, and then I've gotten a good support move pool on top.
In a lot of cases, having a slow, defensive Pokémon with Memento is a good thing, as you can take the hit and suicide, getting your setup sweeper in absolutely scot-free to start boosting. However, I can vouch for Memento Whimsicott's usefulness; Prankster Stun Spore makes it possible to turn even Talonflame into setup fodder (assuming you run Coba Berry, which is perfectly viable - 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Coba Berry Whimsicott: 171-202 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). However, Spiritomb's problem is that he has no form of recovery to get out all the status that he wants; I'd suggest replacing Curse for Pain Split, as Spiritomb's HP is naturally low and Pain Split will be devastating against most threats.

Spiritomb @ Zoom Lens
Bold/Impish
Infiltrator/Pressure
252 HP/136 Def/120 Sp. Def
-Will-o-Wisp
-Hypnosis/Taunt
-Pain Split
-Memento

Whimsicott @ Coba Berry
Impish
Prankster
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
-Stun Spore
-Encore
-Taunt/U-Turn
-Menento/U-Turn

Another option is to run a Dual Screens Memento passer. The most famous example would probably be Latios, of course, who can fire off a Draco Meteor or two before passing the buck, so to speak. However, Uxie is another good option, being fairly bulky enough to set up both screens before using Memento. It also learns Yawn, which, combined with Memento, can put your opponent in a tough spot!

Nevertheless, you would really do well to have a switch-in who is still bulky enough and able to boost their speed: I wouldn't advise on using Excadrill outside of sand (rush): Base 88 is still much too slow, plus he's still weak to fighting and water priority, while Haxorus at least has access to Dragon Dance to boost that middling speed. Multiscale Dragon Dance Dragonite with a Lum Berry is essentially a risk-free switch-in, if you're expecting status (And if you don't, he's bulky enough to throw in a second Dance for good measure), and of course, there's always Swords Dance Lum Berry Garchomp. And let's not forget Mega Charizard X, whose immunity to burn is a brilliant fallback.

Pain Split is a great addition to this Spiritomb, and I forgot all about CharX. A last move Destiny Bond is an interesting option too. Taunt would ruin any other passer/screener/Subabuser (as he has infiltrator)

Just hit 1800 rating. My current team looks like this:

Togekiss, Bold with lefties, max HP and Def. Standard Paraflinch Set

Mega Mawile, Adamant with Mawilite, dual stabs, Sucker punch and Stone Edge.

Mega Gengar, Timid with dual stabs and sub-disable

Cloyster with Sash, Adamant with Razor Shell + Standard Cloyster fare

Talonflame with Orb, Adamant with Follow Me and Tailwind + Dual Stabs

Dragonite with Lum Berry, Adamant with DDance, EQ, Outrage and Fire Punch

Notes on each one:

Togekiss is pretty solid overall. I stingily think this (Paraflinch) is the best set as Gleam and Aura Sphere don't hit hard enough even when super effective to justify their use over this set. The Paraflinch core, although definitely has some trouble with Electrics, mostly gets the job done while keeping Togekiss healthy. Roost is necessary to tank hits, and Nasty plot is great for setting up on weaker mons that can be out healed with roost. Max Def is better then SpD right now IMO since there are a much larger amount of Physical Attackers. Being able to take 2 hits from Talonflame and live is just too important to give up. Togekiss is great for a team looking for a check to the glass canon speedsters out there like Mega Gengar and Greninja, as Twave is pretty much lights out for them.

Mawile is alright I guess. It gets the job done, although I suspect that Mega Kangaskhan might be better at this role. That being said, those looking for a powerhouse Fairy should look no further. This thing punches holes in everything. Speed is the biggest issue, but smart use of Sucker Punch can go a long ways. Stone Edge I'm iffy on. It's possible that Swords Dance would be better.

Gengar is pretty good. Honestly, keeping levitate when megaing would usually be better then getting Shadow Tag, although it does allow for some mind games against Earthquake users. Make sure you don't need the immunity before powering up. Or what might just be better is using Normal Gengar. Speed is nice against Greninja and Noivern, but that's about it, and Life Orb hits just as hard as Mega. At any rate, Sub-Disable allows for the most survivability for Gengar, and is good for scouting purposes. Having a Sub stick is often times game. I go for Sludge Bomb over better coverage options to take out Fairies not named Mawile and because it's the highest base power stab move Gengar learns, which means that it hits stuff neutrally the hardest. You can throw in Focus Blast here if you really hate Tyranitar. Tbolt and Gleam don't lead to shaving off an attack for the mons that you would actually kill with them, (Still not 1-shotting most dragons with only 80 base power) so I don't see much reason to run them. As for the best set, it might be the 3 attack + Destiny Bond set, although it's a bit more suicidal. Lastly, Perish Trap is garbage here since the format is full of aggressive mons that can deal more then 3/4ths of its heath in the turn it goes for perish song.

Cloyster IDK. Its sash gets popped by literally every special attacker in the game it doesn't resist. That being said, if they don't have priority/WoW/Twave, this guy can go the distance. However, most good teams have at least one of those, so it's more of a noob stomper then a high level mon. It usually rides the bench, but smart use can early steal games. Not totally sold, but if you're looking for ways to cheese free wins other then minimize spam, this is a good place to start.

Talonflame is Talonflame. The core is its duo stabs, everything else is just gravy, with this set being clear evidence of that. Me first is a toy move I'm using just for kicks. I barely use it, but it does has its uses, largely outraging Dragons. Every once in a blue moon it will be useful and do stuff no other move can do. Those times are few and far between though, and you're largely better off using something else. Tailwind combos well with Mawile and any other slow but strong mons you may have. You can run any other move you want in those 2 slots, just make sure you have Brave Bird and Flare Blitz. For what it's worth, I think full aggression is better then the Roost/Lefties sets. The 3v3 meta is much more aggressive and there are much better leftovers users out there, which matters since you only get to use 1.

Dragonite is a Champion, seriously. No entry hazards means Multiscale 24/7 which means you're almost guaranteed a Dragon Dance. Full Health Dragonite beats every other dragon out there while usually getting a Dragon Dance in, just watch out for Scarfers and Sash users. Lum Berry is amazing on this set. It makes Outraging much more safe if they don't have a Fairy since it can remove the confusion. It also lets Dragonite beat most sets of Rotom-W since most rely on WoW to cripple Dragonite, and Dragonite can 2-shot Rotom with Outrage. Because of this, Dragonite is a good lead against a team that you suspect will try to use status effects. Seriously, Dragonite is a beast, and arguably the best offensive Dragon right now, beating out even Garchomp IMO. Garchomp needs to use a Band to reach the power of a +1 Dragonte, and still won't reach the speed, but Dragonite doesn't have to deal with getting locked into a move. Losing immunity to Electric and TWave sucks, but not being able to be 1-shotted by almost everything is really good. This guy is greatly underrated, (Given that he isn't seen anywhere near as much as Garchomp) and if you're looking for some more firepower while being deceptively bulky, Dragonite has plenty to offer to the table.
Just to add icing to the cake here is a video of how my Dragonite pulled through with Multiscale with the obvious Weakness Policy on Battle Spot Singles.
Code:CMXW-WWWW-WWW6-YC9F
YEP DRAGONITE PUTIN IN WORK SWEEPING TEAMS WHIT THE BROOM OVERTIME!

This scenario happened to me:

Opponent sent out Magnezone as his first pokémon. I sent Ampharos. I quickly mega-evolved it and choose agility. He switched into Garchomp. Then, I OHKOed his 3 pokémon with Dragonpulse/Focus Blast/Discharge. It was easy.
was your ampharos modest or timid?

Modestimid.

jk

Modest. Way better, because it maximizes damage potential.
Unless you run Quiet for Trick Room sweep of course. Then you want as little as possible in speed, such as the way I run him on my team paired with Reuniclus. But still good as such of course :p

Storm Eagle

Banned deucer.
My teams have been making me lose a lot lately.... been in the ratings of ~1400... embarrassing. Can someone help me?

I've been thinking about using this team.

------------------------------

Mega Lucario. Adaptability. Lucarionite. Jolly. 252 Atk/Spe. 4 HP.

Close Combat
Bullet Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch

---

Gyarados. Moxie. Focus Sash. Adamant. 252 Atk/Spe. 4 HP.

Ice Fang
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Earthquake

---

Garchomp. Rough Skin. Life Orb. Jolly. 252 Atk/Spe. 4 SpD.

Fire Fang
Outrage
Earthquake
Crunch

Last edited:
I'm quite terrible myself (IE haven't really settled on a strategy/team) but I have some extensive use with Gyarados.

I like the Focus/Moxie synergy but there is a huge problem with its speed and damage output. Considering that, get rid of Crunch (you aren't MEvolving so an unstab 60BP move is pittance) and replace it with Dragon Dance. Ideally, you'd bring it out to a weakened opponent, Dragon Dance to get a critical speed boost that will aid in sweeps, and KO next move to get the Moxie benefit.

However, Sashes are a bit sketchy because 1HP is susceptible to all sorts of priority. With that in mind be 100% sure that you Dragon Dance against someone without a priority move.

============
What does anyone think of a Steelix? I know someone brought up Steelix a long time ago but I don't think they got a response.
The concept is to just use it as a SR lead to negate all these bloody Focus Sashes (just got surprised by a Houndoom Sasher with counter and destiny bond) and to give Talon Flame the finger. The thought is that it puts up a SR, taunts or roars the tricky people, Rock Tombs anything to slow it down, and finally Explodes when all else fails.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
I have a question, sorry for asking it here but there's no Simple Questions thread in this forum.

The other day, I was able to use a Genesect in a random battle (random matchup mode, not a competition). However I thought that non Kalos Born Pokemon were banned in this meta? Unless I've come across a hacked/event Genesect...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a question, sorry for asking it here but there's no Simple Questions thread in this forum.

The other day, I was able to use a Genesect in a random battle (random matchup mode, not a competition). However I thought that non Kalos Born Pokemon were banned in this meta? Unless I've come across a hacked/event Genesect...
Did you click on free battle? Because it's anything goes there. In rating battles you can also use non-kalos born/caught Pokemon but cover and event legendaries are banned (so no Genesect there)

Galladium

Banned deucer.
Did you click on free battle? Because it's anything goes there. In rating battles you can also use non-kalos born/caught Pokemon but cover and event legendaries are banned (so no Genesect there)
Ah, that must be it. Does anyone have the banlist for rating battles?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ah, that must be it. Does anyone have the banlist for rating battles?
Like I said, cover and event legendaries. It's the same ban list as the Battle Maison. So... Mew, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Manaphy (so maybe also Phione?), Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Victini, Meloetta, Keldeo, Genesect, Xernaes, Yveltal, Zygarde.

This applies to rating battles in singles, doubles, triples and rotation. 'Special' battles have different rules depending on the season. At the moment it's restricted to Kalos-natives only

Hope that's all accurate anyway!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I know I'm ridiculously late to the party, but better late than never I always say.

I played my first game in April but was kinda busy since then so I just played a match here and there, but I'll be done with school soon so I'll soon get a chance to play a lot more. So far though, I'm really loving this meta. I'm still new so I'm not exactly sure what works and what doesn't and what exactly to think about teambuilding for 3v3. I'm also still around the beginner rankings so I haven't come across anything over-centralizing just yet, so maybe I'll hate it later, idk.

Kinda sucks that this season is ending soon (looks like the 12th?) but I guess I'm just gonna play a ton of games until then while I'm still new. Hopefully by next season I'll have a clue what I'm doing lol.

More to the actual topic, the Pokemon I've sort of been unable to not use is Sharpedo...I've used it in like every single battle I've had so far. I'm using the special set and Ice Beam is really handy, and Speed Boost is really useful to have a sort of backup against fast Pokemon. My current set is:

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Modest
Speed Boost
252 SpA/252 SpD/4 EVs somewhere else idk where
-Protect
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Dark Pulse

And yeah this was literally just taken from the Smogon BW UU set so there might be some changes I should make. I looked at the usage stats and it looks like a lot of them use Destiny Bond, which sounds really good, but I'm not sure which move I'd want to give up for it. They also seem to use Focus Sash a lot which I'm not sure of either (to get a Destiny Bond against Talonflame I'm guessing?).

Anyway, I got kind of disillusioned with the so-called "fantasy metas" so I'm eager to give this one a go. Hopefully I can help bring more activity to this forum too!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Okay, I know I'm ridiculously late to the party, but better late than never I always say.

I played my first game in April but was kinda busy since then so I just played a match here and there, but I'll be done with school soon so I'll soon get a chance to play a lot more. So far though, I'm really loving this meta. I'm still new so I'm not exactly sure what works and what doesn't and what exactly to think about teambuilding for 3v3. I'm also still around the beginner rankings so I haven't come across anything over-centralizing just yet, so maybe I'll hate it later, idk.

Kinda sucks that this season is ending soon (looks like the 12th?) but I guess I'm just gonna play a ton of games until then while I'm still new. Hopefully by next season I'll have a clue what I'm doing lol.

More to the actual topic, the Pokemon I've sort of been unable to not use is Sharpedo...I've used it in like every single battle I've had so far. I'm using the special set and Ice Beam is really handy, and Speed Boost is really useful to have a sort of backup against fast Pokemon. My current set is:

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Modest
Speed Boost
252 SpA/252 SpD/4 EVs somewhere else idk where
-Protect
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Dark Pulse

And yeah this was literally just taken from the Smogon BW UU set so there might be some changes I should make. I looked at the usage stats and it looks like a lot of them use Destiny Bond, which sounds really good, but I'm not sure which move I'd want to give up for it. They also seem to use Focus Sash a lot which I'm not sure of either (to get a Destiny Bond against Talonflame I'm guessing?).

Anyway, I got kind of disillusioned with the so-called "fantasy metas" so I'm eager to give this one a go. Hopefully I can help bring more activity to this forum too!
It's really cool to hear that Sharpedo is working out for you Hula! I've been planning to breed one (it's legit next on my list) but I can't decide which way to go; physical/special? destiny bond or not? I've found he has serious 4mss... I think the biggest problem is whether I want to fit in protect or destiny bond or even both, but he also has a tonne of physical options. Apart from obvious stuff he can also use aqua jet (can really hurt Talonflame and should outspeed it's brave bird after a couple of boosts), earthquake lays some hurt on Aegislash and helps avoid king's shield (also, a little unorthodox but if you run scope lens a crit night slash ohkos aegi which helps mitigate attack drops)...

From the looks of it the special set is a little more straight forward so I think I might actually give that a shot but with DB over protect!

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's really cool to hear that Sharpedo is working out for you Hula! I've been planning to breed one (it's legit next on my list) but I can't decide which way to go; physical/special? destiny bond or not? I've found he has serious 4mss... I think the biggest problem is whether I want to fit in protect or destiny bond or even both, but he also has a tonne of physical options. Apart from obvious stuff he can also use aqua jet (can really hurt Talonflame and should outspeed it's brave bird after a couple of boosts), earthquake lays some hurt on Aegislash and helps avoid king's shield (also, a little unorthodox but if you run scope lens a crit night slash ohkos aegi which helps mitigate attack drops)...

From the looks of it the special set is a little more straight forward so I think I might actually give that a shot but with DB over protect!
I like the special set because Ice Beam is just really good, it KOs most Dragon-types and Gliscor. Dark Pulse is also a good way to hit Aegislash without worrying about King's Shield; with Crunch it could be an issue. According to the usage stats, it looks like most Sharpedo are physical, but technically the special set has more powerful moves despite Sharpedo's attack being higher than its special attack.

I'm not entirely sure about dropping Protect for Destiny Bond, because otherwise he can't get a guaranteed boost, and with his really low defensive stats he can easily be knocked out in one turn. If you don't have Protect you can't revenge kill stuff like Garchomp or Salamence which outspeed you without a boost.

Wait...I just realized...is the reason Focus Sash is used so much on it so that it can survive a hit and get the guaranteed boost without using Protect? ...lol that makes so much sense, why didn't I think of it earlier...

Hulavuta

Sorry for the double post, but it's been about a week so whateva

Recently I really want to use Tyranitar...I've been thinking Assault Vest because I really don't wanna use Mega Tyranitar. The only issue is I'm totally lost on the EV spread. Do I just go HP/Attack and then throw on an Assault Vest or should I go for some SpD EVs or even speed? Will that seriously cut down on his firepower though? A part of me hopes just HP is enough so I can recycle it into a CBT-Tar whenever I want lol. According to the PGL site, Assault Vest is the second most used item and Adamant is by far the most used nature. I can't check right now since it's under maintenance, but I don't think many +SpD natures are used, which leads me to believe most just invest in HP.

I did a few calculations but I'm still pretty new so I'm not sure how relevant they are...like, should I care if I can survive 2 Modest Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannons? And what should I be trying to outspeed?

Finally, what's the optimal HP EV number for Tyranitar? Just full 252 or is 248 better? I'm totally lost on this thing haha, please help.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the double post, but it's been about a week so whateva

Recently I really want to use Tyranitar...I've been thinking Assault Vest because I really don't wanna use Mega Tyranitar. The only issue is I'm totally lost on the EV spread. Do I just go HP/Attack and then throw on an Assault Vest or should I go for some SpD EVs or even speed? Will that seriously cut down on his firepower though? A part of me hopes just HP is enough so I can recycle it into a CBT-Tar whenever I want lol. According to the PGL site, Assault Vest is the second most used item and Adamant is by far the most used nature. I can't check right now since it's under maintenance, but I don't think many +SpD natures are used, which leads me to believe most just invest in HP.

I did a few calculations but I'm still pretty new so I'm not sure how relevant they are...like, should I care if I can survive 2 Modest Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannons? And what should I be trying to outspeed?

Finally, what's the optimal HP EV number for Tyranitar? Just full 252 or is 248 better? I'm totally lost on this thing haha, please help.
I definitely think you might as well go with Adamant and max Attack. At the least, 76 Speed was used last gen to outrun uninvested base 70s like Skarmory and such. You can run 132 to outpace defensive Heatran, or 156 to outpace uninvested base 80s like Goodra. Whatever amount you plan to use, the rest can be dumped into HP. Not sure how willing you are to sacrifice bulk for speed, but it's still a personal choice lol. I definitely don't think you need SpD investment, especially with your own sand going.

Hulavuta

Yeah CoolStoryBrobat it's good to hear that. I am probably not going to go for speed investment because Tyranitar can't break through Skarmory anyway as I will be using Assault Vest most of the time. I probably won't want to use over 100 EVs for speed either, so I'll just go full HP. It's not like Tyranitar won't be able to take hits from Heatran or Goodra anyway. And if it doesn't work out, I can always hope for a reset bag haha

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Starting back at the bottom is a nightmare! There's just so much random stuff running around that I'm losing mostly on suprise factor alone. The Japanese have got so many ideas it's really not funny, I'd try to think of a few examples but I'm at like 3-10 right now and feeling kinda frustrated so I'll just come back later...

It really doesn't help that my timezone (AEST +10) is only 2 hours off Tokyo's (+8 iirc) so to avoid them I'm playing at crazy hours. I liked playing in the 1700s better :(

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Starting back at the bottom is a nightmare! There's just so much random stuff running around that I'm losing mostly on suprise factor alone. The Japanese have got so many ideas it's really not funny, I'd try to think of a few examples but I'm at like 3-10 right now and feeling kinda frustrated so I'll just come back later...

It really doesn't help that my timezone (AEST +10) is only 2 hours off Tokyo's (+8 iirc) so to avoid them I'm playing at crazy hours. I liked playing in the 1700s better :(
tbh almost exactly the same thing happened to me... I got 3-0ed by a Rocky Helmet CM Sylveon at one point fml :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)