Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - The Smog Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Articles get written when users want to write them. You're welcome to request to write one of those yourself.

Setsuna is technically the head for The Smog. But, I can somewhat answer. A good chunk of writers are dealing with other stuff in their life atm or are working elsewhere on other parts of the site that they deem more important. They'll hopefully slowly get their stuff done though and we'll be seeing something this month!
Also, from what I've seen it seems there isn't a lot of work left to do, so there should be a release soon enough, but maybe not by the end of the month. Take my words with a grain of salt, as this is the first time I've helped out with The Smog and I don't actually have an idea of the average timeframe for an issue's release.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to clarify there's no actual timeframe, it varies depending on the progress of the articles sitting in the workshop (about two-three weeks into the issue) Based on that we estimate when those articles will likely be completed, and make the release date usually a week after that date. C:

I'm sure the timeframe varies per issue, I just don't have the faintest idea of what the norm is around here :D
Do the math.

Issue #1 - May 13 2009 / Days since last issue: N/A
Issue #2 - Jul 6 2009 / Days since last issue: 54
Issue #3 - Sep 6 2009 / Days since last issue: 62
Issue #4 - Oct 18 2009 / Days since last issue: 42
Issue #5 - Nov 29 2009 / Days since last issue: 42
Issue #6 - Jan 10 2010 / Days since last issue: 42
Issue #7 - Mar 4 2010 / Days since last issue: 53
Issue #8 - May 2 2010 / Days since last issue: 59
Issue #9 - Jun 16 2010 / Days since last issue: 45
Issue #10 - Aug 1 2010 / Days since last issue: 45
Issue #11 - Sep 12 2010 / Days since last issue: 41
Issue #12 - Oct 25 2010 / Days since last issue: 43
Issue #13 - Dec 20 2010 / Days since last issue: 56
Issue #14 - Mar 1 2011 / Days since last issue: 71
Issue #15 - Jun 24 2011 / Days since last issue: 95
Issue #16 - Aug 28 2011 / Days since last issue: 55
Issue #17 - Oct 30 2011 / Days since last issue: 63
Issue #18 - Jan 8 2012 / Days since last issue: 70
Issue #19 - Mar 15 2012 / Days since last issue: 67
Issue #20 - May 22 2012 / Days since last issue: 68
Issue #21 - Aug 18 2012 / Days since last issue: 88
Issue #22 - Nov 11 2012 / Days since last issue: 85
Issue #23 - Dec 27 2012 / Days since last issue: 46
Issue #24 - Feb 5 2013 / Days since last issue: 40
Issue #25 - Mar 4 2013 / Days since last issue: 27
Issue #26 - Apr 7 2013 / Days since last issue: 34
Issue #27 - May 9 2013 / Days since last issue: 32
Issue #28 - Jun 23 2013 / Days since last issue: 45
Issue #29 - Aug 16 2013 / Days since last issue: 54
Issue #30 - Sep 26 2013 / Days since last issue: 41
Issue #31 - Nov 25 2013 / Days since last issue: 60
Issue #32 - Jan 17 2014 / Days since last issue: 53
Issue #33 - Feb 28 2014 / Days since last issue: 42
Issue #34 - ??? ?? ???? / Days since last issue: 60, at the time of this posting

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So,what exactly is the article aprove forum?No threads there.
Basically, if you want to make an article for The Smog, you submit the skeleton of your article idea there. If a moderator likes the concept, they'll approve it, and then you have access to what's called the article workshop. The article workshop is where you do all the work on your article. Hope this helped.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So,what exactly is the article aprove forum?No threads there.
Valmanway is pretty much right, but to answer the second part: there appear to be no threads because threads are only visible to the thread creator and the Smog moderators (and super moderators and administrators who can see everything anyway). It's the same as the Tutee Talk forum if you ever get involved with Battling 101.

Basically, if you want to make an article for The Smog, you submit the skeleton of your article idea there. If a moderator likes the concept, they'll approve it, and then you have access to what's called the article workshop. The article workshop is where you do all the work on your article. Hope this helped.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a skeleton for an article?

Valmanway

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a skeleton for an article?
Oh, that's a term some people (and myself) use to describe the gist of things. Here's an example of what I mean:

Introduction:

Subject #1:

Subject #2:

Subject #3 and so forth:

Conclusion:

That's basically what I refer to as the skeleton of an article. I hope I explained that properly.

Oh, that's a term some people (and myself) use to describe the gist of things. Here's an example of what I mean:

Introduction:

Subject #1:

Subject #2:

Subject #3 and so forth:

Conclusion:

That's basically what I refer to as the skeleton of an article. I hope I explained that properly.
Like a rough draft? Or maybe more like an outline?

Hey KingHeracrossTheBug , while it's nice thatypu want to controbute to The Smog, it would be preferable if you merged all your doubts into one post. I realize this might not be possible, but it's unnecessary clutter for this thread.
The basic process for articles has been given by the users above; a rough outline of your article in approvals, then you get access to Article Workshop (the moderator who approves it will give you access) and you post your article there. For art, HTML, and GP, the respective contributors will do it on their own mostly (unless you prefer someone doing art). And The Smog is quite lenient with deadlines, so you can push back your article to the next issue if you're struggling with completing it. That's pretty much it. Also, many of your questions are asked previously so you should browse through the thread.

also wtf sandslash

Valmanway

When making a gif as your avatar, why does it have to be within 100GB? Also, is it possible to make a gif of more than 100GB as your avatar? I ask that because I've seen gifs here longer than the ones I make, and that kind of confused me. Could be the site I use, but I thought asking would answer my questions quicker. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
When making a gif as your avatar, why does it have to be within 100GB? Also, is it possible to make a gif of more than 100GB as your avatar? I ask that because I've seen gifs here longer than the ones I make, and that kind of confused me. Could be the site I use, but I thought asking would answer my questions quicker. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.
Short and long answer is allowing people to use larger gif avatars slows down the site.

Smods+ can manually give larger gif files as avatars which is why they exist otherwise.

Valmanway

Short and long answer is allowing people to use larger gif avatars slows down the site.

Smods+ can manually give larger gif files as avatars which is why they exist otherwise.
Oh. Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
I'm looking for a good special attacker to switch for my mega alakazam that has a good move pool and has some bulk
Wait what? lol

Hello! I have been reading the Smog for a long time now, and I have always found it interesting. I enjoy the articles, and it is fun to read/learn things about tiers that I do not normally play. I was just wondering, how can I get involved in the Smog? I read all of the threads and whatnot, so don't tell me to go read those haha. I just don't have anything that I particularly want to write about at the moment... I also don't necessarily have to be involved in writing either. Other things like the Grammar Police would be fun for me too! However, if I did write, it would probably be about LC because that is my main tier. All I wanted to ask was what I could do to get involved and participate in the Smog and I thank everyone who answers for their suggestions :)

Wait what? lol

Hello! I have been reading the Smog for a long time now, and I have always found it interesting. I enjoy the articles, and it is fun to read/learn things about tiers that I do not normally play. I was just wondering, how can I get involved in the Smog? I read all of the threads and whatnot, so don't tell me to go read those haha. I just don't have anything that I particularly want to write about at the moment... I also don't necessarily have to be involved in writing either. Other things like the Grammar Police would be fun for me too! However, if I did write, it would probably be about LC because that is my main tier. All I wanted to ask was what I could do to get involved and participate in the Smog and I thank everyone who answers for their suggestions :)
The Smog has tons of areas to get involved with. GP is a great way to get involved, but you'd have to get onto the GP team first. If LC's your preferred article type, then I'd have a chat with Goddess Briyella. She writes lots of articles for The Smog about LC and should be able to help. Good luck!

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Wait what? lol

Hi there. I see you often, so you know where to find me. I would be happy to help you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)