Probopass Moveset - "I have no idea if this will work."

This, my dear companions, is the result of extreme laziness. I have no idea of it'll work, but it seems to be an interesting idea to me none the less on paper. By the way, all of you - and I mean all of you - are quite free to start laughing at me at any time.

Probopass: 60/55/145/75/150/40

Careful Probopass @ Leftovers
40 SPDEF / 252 HP / 216 DEF
- Block
- Toxic
- Explosion
- Iron Defense / Double Team

Stats: 324/146/380/116/x/380

Alright. The whole idea here is to use Probopass to randomly Block things, and then either Explode on them or Toxic and then keep Iron Defense/Double Teaming. It's a stall set, I think. What do you guys think of it? I could see this being ruined by Whirlwinders, but then it could just Explode...

Note: Should be used in Sandstorm for maximum usefulness.
EDIT: Holy shit, I had no idea this would attract so many people. Just keep scrolling down - I'm not going to bother updating this considering the amount of information already posted.

I like;

@Leftovers
Relaxed
252hp/252def/6atk
Thunder
Taunt
Earthquake
Explosion

The ultimate steel trapper. Taunt stuff like skarms whirlwind, thunder it to death. Earthquake for Mag and Gross kinda. Used in a sandstorm those evs max its defences.

The problem, of course, is that you're going to run into physical walls in UU (Is that considered Tier discussion? :/) that'll make you cry, and that you cannot toxic. Explosion does as little as 8% on an aggron if the EVs and nature are right. :/

I like;

@Leftovers
Relaxed
252hp/252def/6atk
Thunder
Taunt
Earthquake
Explosion

The ultimate steel trapper. Taunt stuff like skarms whirlwind, thunder it to death. Earthquake for Mag and Gross kinda. Used in a sandstorm those evs max its defences.
Does Earthquake coming off 147 Attack really hurt anything? I'm wondering how you trap things without Block, too, considering anything you Taunt could just swap out. It's better attacking stat is 186, but it still seems extremely weak to me. It's better suited as a tank, I think. Maybe replace Earthquake with Block?

The problem, of course, is that you're going to run into physical walls in UU (Is that considered Tier discussion? :/) that'll make you cry, and that you cannot toxic. Explosion does as little as 8% on an aggron if the EVs and nature are right. :/
EQ could probably leave a dent in it, but yeah you probably aren't going to want to stay in on Aggron anyway.​

I think you should run some damage calculation done on this thing (something attacked probopass) and try to adjust the EVs to survive certain things. don't ask me to do that, because I'm not sure what and how to calculate things.

Should I make the defenses even?
X-act's EV applet says to use 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpDef, with Careful nature. Of course, if you use Iron Defense, you might want to up the SpDef a bit; sacrifice a bit of Def. Double Team is banned so don't use it.

akayfortyseven said:
Surely Earth Power would be better?

I like a set that actually accomplishes something rather than toxic/evasion stalling.

Like akay posted, Probopass's best way of success is similar to Magenezone's, which is to abuse Magnet Pull. With Taunt and Thunder it can take out any Skarmory without too much trouble. Earthquake lets it comfortably kill any Magnezone.

The last move can be a whole selection. I would be most inclined to use Stealth Rock, but Rest/Toxic/Thunderwave/Explosion/Stone Edge could all work.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
And its attack is crap, yes, but a x4 effective EQ will take down an Aggron or Magnezone soon enough.
Earth Power is infinitely better because 10 base power makes less than a difference when the difference in attacks stats is pretty major.

@Leftovers
Relaxed
240hp/240def/30SpAtk
Thunder/Zap Cannon/Flash Cannon
Taunt
Earth Power
Gravity

Gravity has been tested a lot recently, and we've found it gives a 2/3 accuracy boost while in effect; Anything 60 accuracy and above becomes 100% accuracy. It also has the obvious effect of pulling flying types to the ground (SKARMORY), making any flying/steel type (SKARMORY) weak to ground (SKARMORY).
Thunder gets 100% accuracy, while Zap Cannon gets 83% accuracy plus 100% paralysis;
Flash Cannon is for if you plan to nail Skarmory purely with Earth Power, and want some coverage elsewhere. It SUCKS that this thing's only 3 type options for special attack are Electric, Ground, and Steel. It gets STAB from Flash Cannon, and not from anything else in his inventory of special attacks; Making it 120 BP, with the power to hit rock types and Ice types much harder than it could with Earth Power; It's basically for anything that's not weak to ground (excluding rock types) and doesn't resist it.

I'm very happy with this set, especially as a revenge Skarm killer. First turn Taunt to stop the Phaze, second turn gravity, then 100% acc Thunder, 83% acc Zap cannon, or absurd% accuracy Earth Power, for the next 4 turns. Rinse and repeat.

Earth power should also pwn Aggron.

This would be a really viable Pokémon if it wasn't for his shit lack of a recovery move and no way to boost his own sp.atk. If he had Charge Beam and a good recovery move, he'd be pwn in my eyes.

@Leftovers
Relaxed
252hp/252def/6Spatk
Thunder
Taunt/Earth Power
Sleep Talk
Rest

This set loses a lot of potency against anything that's not Skarm, or anything that is Skarm, respectively depending on the second move. With Taunt, you taunt the first turn, Thunder til you need to rest, then resttalk; But your only attacking move is Thunder. With Earth Power, you Thunder Skarm and then get switched out, but you also have Earth Power to use on other steels you may feel like trapping (lol bye magnazone&heetran@@@@)

I never took a serious look at Probopass, but it could actually be decent... If only it wasn't for shit typing and the fact that other things can do it a good deal better, and have recovery moves to boot.

Exactly. And with magnet pull and sandstorm special defence boost, you dont need to ohko magnezone really, you just wear it down with a 4x move.

For the love of god. People stop trying to EV Probopass in defense. 70HP/180DEF bases couldn't save Aggron, theres no way in freakin hell 60/145 is gonna save Probopass. The only natures you ever want to even be seeing on it are Modest/Quiet/Sassy and Calm. Sassy and Quiet is only if you plan on even running Stone Edge.

The things that Probopass will stop physically it resists anyway and still gets at least 320ish defense at the absolute minimum.

Instead howabout making use of that sexy special defense and the fact it resists or is neutral to every special attacking type except Water/Fighting/Ground. The two 4x special weakness are rare as hell anyway.

I mean it has to say something when a Probopass has a pretty good chance at beating most Garchomp (after Magnet Rise) or Latias/Latios in a 1v1 fight.

Also Earthquake over Earth Power on Probopass? Jesus...the only physical attack I'd ever dream of using would be Stone Edge since it gets STAB and actually makes for a very good type coverage with Electric/Ground.

Also as fun as Gravity set seems it probably does more damage than it helps. Probopass isn't exactly the hardest thing to scare off on a switch with 2 common 4x weakness. After you've laid down the Gravity then your opponent is also free to use it while you probably won't even get to reap the accuracy boosts. It'll probably have a total of 3 uses, taking down Zapdos, taking down Magnezone and taking down Skarmory.

Also Flash Cannon needs a mention somewhere too as despite the bad typing it is afterall Probopass's strongest attack. Unfortunately Electric/Ground is easier walled than you think.

Be cool, Forsety.

I like that Gravity set proposed by Boa1891 :D, I should use that.

On the original set, I really don't like Double Team at all; Hitmonchan, Primeape, Hitmonlee and friends will always come to own you, I think is better to use Gravity on that switch and abuse it with another thing of your team.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the love of god. People stop trying to EV Probopass in defense. 70HP/180DEF bases couldn't save Aggron, theres no way in freakin hell 60/145 is gonna save Probopass. The only natures you ever want to even be seeing on it are Modest/Quiet/Sassy and Calm. Sassy and Quiet is only if you plan on even running Stone Edge.

The things that Probopass will stop physically it resists anyway and still gets at least 320ish defense at the absolute minimum.

Instead howabout making use of that sexy special defense and the fact it resists or is neutral to every special attacking type except Water/Fighting/Ground. The two 4x special weakness are rare as hell anyway.

I mean it has to say something when a Probopass has a pretty good chance at beating most Garchomp (after Magnet Rise) or Latias/Latios in a 1v1 fight.

Also Earthquake over Earth Power on Probopass? Jesus...the only physical attack I'd ever dream of using would be Stone Edge since it gets STAB and actually makes for a very good type coverage with Electric/Ground.

Also as fun as Gravity set seems it probably does more damage than it helps. Probopass isn't exactly the hardest thing to scare off on a switch with 2 common 4x weakness. After you've laid down the Gravity then your opponent is also free to use it while you probably won't even get to reap the accuracy boosts. It'll probably have a total of 3 uses, taking down Zapdos, taking down Magnezone and taking down Skarmory.
Oh, I dunno, there's a certain appeal to using Gravity, then switching to a Focus Blast Gengar to eat the incoming fighting attack. How about 100% accurate Heracross Megahorns and Stone Edges? Tangrowth Power Whips and Sleep Powders? Really, using Gravity Probopass with pokemon that address its weaknesses isn't too bad. As I've just pointed out, Heracross and Tangrowth both greatly enjoy having boosted accuracy on their moves.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I like that Gravity set proposed by Boa1891 :D, I should use that.
A lot of people like my sets :3

You're forgetting that, just like Trick Room, Gravity would be most useful in a team that is built to abuse it. Of course, Gravity would be less essential to the team and more of a booster, and would also help the foe a bit too. Gravity would render the usual "No EQ on Choice Bander" 'rule' pretty moot, giving GarBand (omg random name) the strongest EQ in the game and totally raping everything for three turns (Gravity-Explosion(first KO?)-EQ-EQ-EQ (up to four KOs that totally lols at levitators and fliers like Gengar or Skarm that'll get pwned)).

Actually, I think I'm going to design a Gravity-Abuse team now. Let's see the people on ShoddyBattle figure out how to deal with that >: D

Gengar and Tangrowth are extremly good candidates for Gravity "recievers". Tangrowth can wall any EQs, and Gengar is immune to the fighting.
Hitting with Hypnosis, Focus Blast, Leech Seed, Sleep Power, Stun Spore, Power Whip etc. 100% is... really freaking nice.

Unfortunately, Gravity Probopass is pretty much an invitation that reads

Dear Garchomp

Come in and rape me and my teammates.

<3 Probopass

For those who don't know, Garchomp is extremely difficult to stop when Gravity is in effect, seeing as everything that has an immunity to ground loses it when Gravity is in effect. Chain Chomp is probably even worse. And Probopass can't do a thing about it.

If you run Gravity, YOU MUST have a Garchomp counter that can counter it without Ground immunity. Trust me. I tried using Gravity before, and well, it wasn't pretty.

Gengar and Tangrowth are extremly good candidates for Gravity "recievers". Tangrowth can wall any EQs, and Gengar is immune to the fighting.
For a whole 3 turns you can do one switch and Gengar has lost its immunity to ground. This isn't say like Trick Room or Tailwind where the 3 turns are actually highly abusable.

Secondly why Gengar? Dusknoir can Gravity too you know and doesn't suddenly become weak to Ground. Clefable is a nice choice too since it can use the boost for a Sing and also 100% accurate Blizzard/Thunder and isn't weak to anything in particular.

You're forgetting that, just like Trick Room, Gravity would be most useful in a team that is built to abuse it. Of course, Gravity would be less essential to the team and more of a booster, and would also help the foe a bit too.
I'm sure ChoiceBand Garchomp will have its fun but read this.
V
Dear Garchomp

Come in and rape me and my teammates.

<3 Probopass
Enemy Garchomps can easily survive and Swords Dance freely and proceed to destroy at least two pokemon with no thoughts.

On the other hand if you Magnet Rise on that switch than Garchomp is now a 3HKO with Flash Cannon. While at best all it can do is peck at you with neutral Fire Blasts or Fire Fangs.

so Suicune and Cresselia WILL be there to help.
Cresselia just forfeited its Ground immunity....it won't be pretty.

Block is such a strange move really, especially on something that can't BP out(Like Say, Umbreon). This kind of moveset has been tried before, but it is really situational and will probably only work 1/5 of the time you try. It is also ruined by Taunt.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Hitting with Hypnosis, Focus Blast, Leech Seed, Sleep Power, Stun Spore, Power Whip etc. 100% is... really freaking nice.
That's weird, I actually planned to put a Tangrowth on the team I'm making right now to abuse Gravity. At everyone else, thanks for the tips; Why don't you just wait until I've finished the team to give me tips? It'll be the first team I'll ever post in RMT form.

So if you need a Garachomp counter just use an Ice Shard Weavile. Seems useful. Or Ice punch since it does outspeed it. :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)