How to: EV Train in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y!

How to: EV Train in Pokemon X/Y

Info:
I will be referring to stats with colors:
Hp - Green
Attack - Red
Defense - Cyan
Special Attack - Pink
Special Defense - Purple
Speed - Orange

Brief Review of what EV Training is:
You can consider EV training as a Gym in real life. For example: if you went to a gym and lifted weights, you'd strengthen your arm muscles or if you cycled, you'd increase your stamina and make your quadriceps stronger. Thus, specific EV training makes a Pokemon stronger in a specific stat, when compared to a Pokemon of the same species that has had no EV training.

Example:
Level 50 Garchomp #1 (Not EV trained at all!) Normal Attack Stat with no beneficial Nature: 150
Level 50 Garchomp #2 (Fully EV trained in Attack) Fully EV trained in Attack with no beneficial Nature: 182
You can see the difference right?

What I need to know before I begin this process?
First of all you need to know that the maximum EVs that you can put on a Pokemon are 508. Also, you need to know that each stat is given +1 for every 4 EVs you put into it. In addition, you can't put more that 252 EVs in a single stat. So, now that you know everything about EV training, let's get into how you can EV train your Pokemon in X and Y and make them the strongest homies around.

Ways to EV Train in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y:

1. Vitamins

As you can see from this table, there are 6 vitamins based on the 6 stats. First there is HP Up, which gives 10 EVs to HP (Which basically translates to a +2 stat increase and 2 spare EVs); Protein, which gives 10 EVs to Attack; Iron, which gives 10 EVs in Defense; Calcium, which 10 EVs in Special Attack; Zinc, which gives 10 EVs in Special Defense and Carbos, which gives 10 EVs in Speed. So now you might think, ''Awesome! That means I can buy a lot of Vitamins and that's it I am done with EV training!'' but here's the catch... You can't consume more than 10 Vitamins with a single Pokemon!

Where can I get Vitamins in X/Y? :
In Laverre City's Pokemon Center.

2. Wings

Wings are similar to Vitamins ... they increase your EVs. As you can see from the table above, they increase the corresponding EV by +1, making it a tedious and slow way to raise EVs when compared to Vitamins. But, if you have some Wings stacked up, don't hesitate to use them. Also, unlike Vitamins, you can consume as many Wings as you like.

Where can I get Wings in X/Y? :
You can get a random Wing everyday in Ambrette Town. There is a woman n a house near the aquarium where if you show her a Pokemon which has a Speed stat greater than the one she asks for she will give you one.

3. Super Training

Wanna have fun with a mini-game while at the same time making your Pokemon stronger by EV training them? Well look no further than Super Training, a mechanic that X and Y brought to the table! With this method you can train you Pokes via a 1-2 minute session and increase their EVs to +4, +8 or even +12 everytime that you play a session. Firstly you start with the sessions that are Level 1 where you can get +4 EVs in one stat based on which training session you complete. Then is Level 2 sessions and then Level 3 sessions.

At Level 1 you have 6 sessions which are:
HP - Wailmer
Attack - Axew
Defense - Geodude
Special Attack - Magnemite
Special Defense - Tentacool
Speed - Noibat
All these sessions give you +4 EVs on their respective stat.

At level 2 you have 6 sessions as well which are:
HP - Relicanth
Attack - Fraxure
Defense - Graveler
Special Attack - Magneton
Special Defense - Tentacruel
Speed - Aerodactyl
All these sessions give you +8 EVs on their respective stat.

And, at last Level 3 has as well 6 sessions which are:
HP - Wailord
Attack - Haxorus
Defense - Golem
Special Attack - Magnezone
Special Defense - Dragalge
Speed - Noivern
All these sessions give you +12 EVs on their respective stat.

You can play as many sessions as you like and not only that but throughout a session you can also win specialized bags that Increase your EVs as well by +1, +4 or +12 (Based on their sizes, like Small, Medium and Large Bag) and sometimes you might even get a x2 Bag, making you earn +24 EVs through a single session (The Bags are 1-time use only).

4. Hordes

The fastest way possible (With the help of some items that we are going to see in a bit in a different section) ! You can train a whole team in a specific stat in a 30 minute session! All you have to do is have a Pokemon with Sweet Scent (ex. Masquerain), have a team of Pokemon that you want to train in a specific stat, activate the Exp.Share so you can share your EVs with your whole team, have a Pokemon that knows a move which can hit all the opposing Pokemon simultaneously (Surf, Earthquake etc.) and go defeat a lot of Hordes! By defeating simultaneously a lot of Pokemon of the same species you can easily max out your EVs in a matter of minutes.

(Stellar created in my opinion the most detailed guide that tells the best areas for EV training in X/Y via Hordes:)

Route 5
[Common] Gulpin (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Uncommon] Scraggy (1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total
[Rare] Minun x4 (1 Spe) / Plusle x1 (Y, 1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Rare] Plusle x4 (1 Spe) / Minun x1 (X, 1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total

Route 7
[Common] Hoppip (1 SpD) - 5 SpD Total
[Uncommon] Psyduck (1 SpA) - 5 SpA Total
[Rare] Roselia (2 SpA) - 10 SpA Total

Connecting Cave
[Common] Whismur (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Uncommon] Zubat (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Rare] Axew (1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total
Route 8
[Common] Wingull (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Uncommon] Seviper x4 (1 Atk + 1 SpA) / Zangoose x1 (Y, 2 Atk) - 6 Atk + 4 SpA Total
[Uncommon] Zangoose x4 (2 Atk) / Seviper x1 (X, 1 Atk + 1 SpA) - 9 Atk + 1 SpA Total
[Rare] Taillow - 5 Spe Total

Route 10
[Common] Nosepass (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
[Uncommon] Yanma (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Rare] Electrike (Y, 1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total

[Rare] Houndour (X, 1 SpA) - 5 SpA Total

Route 11
[Common] Nidoran F x4 (1 HP) / Nidoran M x1 (Y, 1 Atk) - 4 HP + 1 Atk Total
[Common] Nidoran M x4 (1 Atk) / Nidoran F x1 (X, 1 HP) - 4 Atk + 1 HP Total
[Uncommon] Stunky - 5 Spe Total
[Rare] Starly - 5 Spe Total

Reflection Cave
[Common] Mime Jr. (1 SpD) - 5 SpD Total
[Uncommon] Roggenrola (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
[Rare] Roggenrola x4 (1 Def) / Carbink x1 (1 Def + 1 SpD) - 5 Def + 1 SpD Total

Route 12
[Common] Wingull - 5 Spe Total
[Uncommon] Mareep - 5 SpA Total
[Rare] Tauros x4 (1 Atk + 1 Spe) / Miltank x1 (2 Def) - 4 Atk + 2 Def + 4 Spe Total

Azure Bay
[Common] Wingull (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Uncommon] Slowpoke (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Rare] Exeggcute (1 Def) - 5 Def Total

Route 14
[Common] Bellsprout (1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total
[Uncommon] Skorupi (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
[Rare] Ekans (1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total
Route 15
[Common] Murkrow (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Uncommon] Foongus (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Rare] Klefki (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
Route 16
[Common] Murkrow (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Uncommon] Foongus (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Rare] Klefki (1 Def) - 5 Def Total

Frost Cavern
[Common] Vanillite (1 SpA) - 5 SpA Total
[Uncommon] Cubchoo (1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total
[Rare] Smoochum (1 SpA) - 5 SpA Total

Route 18
[Common] Geodude (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
[Uncommon] Durant (2 Def) - 10 Def Total
[Rare] Durant x4 (2 Def) / Heatmor x1 (2 SpA) - 8 Def + 2 SpA Total

Terminus Cave (Defense)
[Common] Durant (2 Def) - 10 Def Total
[Uncommon] Geodude (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
[Rare] Aron (X, 1 Def) - 5 Def Total

[Rare] Larvitar (Y, 1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total

Route 19
[Common] Weepinbell (2 Atk) - 10 Atk Total
[Uncommon] Gligar (1 Def) - 5 Def Total
[Rare] Arbok (2 Atk) - 10 Atk Total

Route 20
[Common] Foongus (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Uncommon] Trevenant (2 Atk) - 10 Atk Total
[Rare] Trevenant x4 (2 Atk) / Sudowoodo x1 (2 Def) - 8 Atk + 2 Def Total

The Pokémon Village
[Common] Foongus (1 HP) - 5 HP Total
[Uncommon] Poliwag (1 Spe) - 5 Spe Total
[Rare] Lombre (2 SpD) - 10 SpD Total

Route 21
[Common] Spinda (1 SpA) - 5 SpA Total
[Uncommon] Swablu (1 SpD) - 5 SpD Total
[Rare] Scyther (1 Atk) - 5 Atk Total

Victory Road [Caves 1 & 4]
[Uncommon] Floatzel (2 Spe) - 10 Spe Total
[Rare] Lickitung (2 HP) - 10 HP Total
Victory Road [Caves 2 & 3]
[Uncommon] Graveler (2 Def) - 10 Def Total

[Rare] Lickitung (2 HP) - 10 HP Total

All in all:

Most Efficient Routes for EV Training
These routes take into account frequency of encounters, number of EVs gained per Pokémon defeated, and ease of access to the location.

HP - Route 5, Connecting Cave, Route 20
Attack - Route 19, Route 14
Defense - Terminus Cave, Victory Road
Special Attack - Frost Cavern
Special Defense - Reflection Cave
Speed - Route 8, Route 12, Route 15

Can I speed up this process?

Yes! With the help of Power Items!

This items give you +4 EVs in each stat after every single battle but cut you speed in half when you hold them (Regardless of Pokemon fought you get these EVs). Like when you battle a Zubat and you hold a Power Weight you can get +1 Speed EVs from the Zubat but also +4 HP EVs as well because of the Power Weight. When you are focusing on single stat use a Power item on the respective stat. Even if you don't, always use Power items as they are a superior choice to the Macho Brace.

Where can I get the Power Items in X/Y?
You can find all the Power Items at Battle Maison in Kiloude City and you can buy any Power Item for 16 Battle Points each.

Also in addition to the Power items is the Macho Brace which most of the times is a underwhelming alternative to the Power Items.

Macho Brace

Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs gained but cuts Speed in half. That means if you if you fight a horde with Zubats you are going to get +5 Speed EVs normally for killing them and then a x2 boost which means +10 Speed EVs with every single Zubat Horde. Also with the Macho Brace you end up wasting EVs because it can double EVs that you don't want like sometimes when a Pokemon gives EVs in 2 stats instead of one. In addition, it takes more to EV train compared to the Power Items.

Where can I get the Power Items in X/Y?
Behind a cracked wall east of the Trainer Tips sign, after the second bridge (requires Rock Smash)

Also Pokerus:

With Pokerus you can double the EVs earned per each battle. So with the combination of Vitamins+ Pokerus+ a Power Item you can EV train a Pokemon in 5 minutes(!), something which in previous Generations was something to dream about!

So I hope this guide helps you understand EV training and show you all the ways you can EV train this Gen. If I missed anything don't hesitate to inform me so I can add it! Also if you find any grammar errors inform me! Thanks for reading this and I hope I helped you guys!

(Also if anyone wants a video guide on this subject, he/she can send me a PM requesting it and if I get a lot of requests wanting me to do one, I might consider making it! Thanks and smell ya later!

(Special thanks: To Nexus for letting me write this guide, Agonist, Plumbgirlie for helping me fix my grammar errors and Stellar for his amazing guide on Hordes! )​

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Uh, you can use the Power Anklet, or other respective Power Item, and get 50 points per horde. Seriously, don't ever use the Macho Brace over a Power Item. Also, uh, why didn't you mention Pokerus, at all?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey just a few things:

1) You can't just take images from other sites without thee consent of the original owner. With that said that table from serebii has to go as well as any other images you didn't get yourself .

2) Please expand on the super training bit specifically stuff like how the different levels of super training work since you don't automatically start with lv. 3 where you get 12 EVs per session.

3) For horde ev training this thread should help you with that (if you use anything from here please remember to credit Stellar) http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-ev-training-with-hordes.3490052/

4) I agree with Agonist, Power items are so much better than macho brace so macho brace doesn;t need to be highlighted as much.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Instead of using a picture from Serebii (which Serebii doesn't like), just do this for horde locations instead:

HP:

Gulpin - Route 5
Whismur - Connecting Cave

Atk:

Scraggy - Route 5
Axew - Connecting Cave
Weepinbell - Route 19 (gives 60 Atk per horde)
Arbok - Route 19 (gives 60 Atk per horde)
Trevenant - Route 20 (gives 60 Atk per horde, very rarely find one Sudowoodo mixed in, which is +2 def)

Def:

Geodude - Route 18, Terminus Cave, Victory Road
Durant - Terminus Cave (60 Def per horde)
Roggenrola - Reflecting Cave (very rarely find Carbink mixed in, gives +1 def/spd)
Exeggcute- Azure Bay
Graveler - Victory Road (60 Def per horde)
Klefki - Route 15/16
Nosepass - Route 10

SpA:

Vanillite - Frost Cavern
Spinda - Route 21
Mareep - Route 12
Roselia - Route 7 (60 SpA per horde)
Psyduck - Route 7
Houndour - Route 10 (X only)

SpD:

Lombre - Pokemon Village (60 SpD per horde)
Hoppip - Route 7
Mime Jr. - Reflecting Cave

Spe:

Plusle/Minun - Route 5
Wingull - Route 8
Tailow - Route 8
Yanma - Route 10
Electrike - Route 10 (Y only)
Starly - Route 11
Stunky - Route 11
Poliwag - Pokemon Village
Floatzel - Victory Road (60 Spe per horde)

there are more hordes, but that should give you a good idea of what to use.

Edit: Fuck Nexus, ninja'd me.

Thanks, GarchompPit! Nice article! Helping you out with a few grammatical errors, then I have a couple of questions. Mostly, I'll put what needs to be changed/corrected in parentheses.

Under: How To: EV Train in Pokemon X/Y:

First paragraph.
(What I mean with that is by let's say lifting weights you are strengthening your arm muscles or by doing biking you can increase your stamina and make your quadriceps stronger.) Change to: For example: if you went to a gym and lifted weights, you'd strengthen your arm muscles; or if you cycled, you'd increase your stamina and make your quadriceps stronger.

(Thus, specific EV training can make a Pokemon stronger on a specific stat compared to a Pokemon of the same species that had never tried EV Training.) Change to: Thus, specific EV training makes a Pokemon stronger in a specific stat, (add comma) when compared to a Pokemon of the same species that has had no EV training.

Third paragraph:
Add a comma after 'First of all'.
(Also you need to know that for each stat is given +1 for every 4 EVs you put into it.) Change to: Also, you need to know that (remove 'for') each stat is given +1 for every 4 EVs you put into it.

(So now that you know everything about EV training let's get into how you can EV train your Pokemon in X and Y and make them, the strongest homies around.) Change to: So, (add comma) now that you know everything about EV training, (add comma) let's get into how you can EV train your Pokemon in X and Y and make them (remove comma) the strongest homies around.

Under: Ways To Train in Pokemon X and Y:

(As you can see from this table they are 6 Vitamins based on the 6 Stats. First there is HP Up which gives 10 EVs to HP (Which basically translates to a +2 stat increase and 2 spare EVs), then Protein which gives 10 EVs to Attack, next is Iron which gives 10 EVs in Defense, then is Calcium which 10 EVs in Special Attack, next is Zinc which gives 10 EVs in Special Defense and at last Carbos which gives 10 EVs in Speed. So now you might think, ''Awesome! That means I can buy a lot of Vitamins and that's it I am done with EV training!'' but here's the catch... You can't consume more than 10 Vitamins with a single Pokemon!)

Change to: As you can see from this table, (add comma) there (change they to there) are 6 vitamins based on the 6 stats.
I would remove 'first', 'then', 'next', 'then', 'next', and 'and at last'. I would just list them (semi colons separating them). For example, just start like so: HP Up, which gives 10 EVs to HP (which basically translates to a +2 stat increase and 2 spare EVs); Protein, which gives 10 EVs to Attack; Iron, which gives ... and so on.

Under: Wings:

(To a similar way to Vitamins, Wings can increase your EVs but as you can see from the table above it increases your EVs by just +1, making it a tedious and slow way compared to Vitamins. But if you have some Wings stacked up, don't hesitate to use them. Also unlike Vitamins you can consume as many Wings as you like.)
Change to: Wings are similar to Vitamins ... they increase your EVs. As you can see from the table above, they increase the corresponding EV by +1, making it a tedious and slow way to raise EVs when compared to Vitamins. But, (add comma) if you have some Wings stacked up, don't hesitate to use them. Also, (add comma) unlike Vitamins, (add comma) you can consume as many Wings as you like.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
OK, that's enough for now. lol On with the questions ...

Speaking of Wings ... I have both X and Y. I am still SRing for Xerneas, but have beaten the game in Y. In both games, the lady in Ambrette ONLY gives HP wings, never any of the remaining 5. What's up with that?

As for EV training, I recently read somewhere that the Pokemon you are EV training (assuming it is holding a power item) can be ANYWHERE in your party and still gain all of the bonus EVs it would have were it first in your party. Has this changed from past generations? I always thought said Pokemon had to be FIRST in the party to gain all of the experience/bonuses from held power item. Maybe this has changed since they changed the EXP share 'on/off' feature, and it now affects the whole party. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks, GarchompPit! Nice article! Helping you out with a few grammatical errors, then I have a couple of questions. Mostly, I'll put what needs to be changed/corrected in parentheses.

Speaking of Wings ... I have both X and Y. I am still SRing for Xerneas, but have beaten the game in Y. In both games, the lady in Ambrette ONLY gives HP wings, never any of the remaining 5. What's up with that?

As for EV training, I recently read somewhere that the Pokemon you are EV training (assuming it is holding a power item) can be ANYWHERE in your party and still gain all of the bonus EVs it would have were it first in your party. Has this changed from past generations? I always thought said Pokemon had to be FIRST in the party to gain all of the experience/bonuses from held power item. Maybe this has changed since they changed the EXP share 'on/off' feature, and it now affects the whole party. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks a ton Plumbgirlie :] Now on to your questions:
1. The girl in Ambrette town randomly chooses which wing to give.. Maybe you were just unlucky
2. Yes it changed because of the new Exp.Share Mechanics... Now you can EV train a whole team..
Hope I helped :]

Thanks a ton Plumbgirlie :] Now on to your questions:
1. The girl in Ambrette town randomly chooses which wing to give.. Maybe you were just unlucky
2. Yes it changed because of the new Exp.Share Mechanics... Now you can EV train a whole team..
Hope I helped :]
You are quite welcome, Garchompit.

Could you expand on Super Training, please? I've only toyed around with it once or twice. How do you choose the pokemon you want to train? It seems as though the game just throws one out there at random. And, how do you choose which event/Pokemon to play with or which bag to hit?
As far as the EVs gained in Super Training go (e.g. using Wailmer @ +4 Evs in HP), do Pokerus and a Power Item factor in?

You are quite welcome, Garchompit.

Could you expand on Super Training, please? I've only toyed around with it once or twice. How do you choose the pokemon you want to train? It seems as though the game just throws one out there at random. And, how do you choose which event/Pokemon to play with or which bag to hit?
As far as the EVs gained in Super Training go (e.g. using Wailmer @ +4 Evs in HP), do Pokerus and a Power Item factor in?
You can always choose which Pokemon you want to Super Train by choosing it from the lowest half of the Touchscreen.
Also stuff like Pokerus, power items etc. do not work with Super Training. I hope I helped :]

Does anyone know how switching Pokemon out during battle affects EVs gained? Do both pokemon gain the EVs or does the Pokemon who defeats the opponent gain the EVs?

No it doesn't affect EVs at all! Just the thing is that all pokemon that gain exp from the battle (even with exp. share) get the corresponding evs. Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)