Flygon vs. Dragonite

Okay, this has been in my mind for quite a while, but exactly why is Flygon always considered better? I mean, Dragonite has good bulk and more attack. More importantly, Dragonite has access to Dragon Dance, which has been proven as a major force within DPP because of Salamence. On the other hand, Flygon can use a scarf more effectively, seeing as it has 100 base speed as opposed to 80. Therefore, I'll put a pro and cons list and I'd like to see some opinions and info, as I'm not the best DPP player.

Flygon's Pros
. Flygon is faster, and in another speed tier.
. Flygon is part Ground and has access to Earthquake w/ stab.
. T-Wave Immunity.
. Resists Stealth Rocks.
. Doesn't take residual Sand damage.
. U-Turn
Dragonite's Pros
. Has access to Dragon Dance.
. A better movepool.
. Can run a mixed set better due to higher attacking stats.
. Better bulk.

Flygon's Cons
. Is less bulky.
. Runs mixed worse, but still plausibly.
. Worse attacking stats.
. No access to great stat-boosting moves.

Dragonite's Cons
. A god-awful ability.
. Less speed, and therefore, less chances of running a scarf effectively.
. No stab EQ.
. Weak to Stealth Rocks.
. Gets hurt by residual Sand damage.

Please help me fill out more of this list, and help me with my realization that one is better than the other.

Last edited:
Flygon's Pros:
Resists Sneaky Pebbles
Doesnt take Sand damage
Dragonites Cons:
Is weak to Sneaky Pebbles
Takes sand damage

Flygon is a good standalone guy with a resistance to SR, immune to sand, STAB EQ, and U-Turn. It is easier to slap a Scarfgon than a Dragonite, who usually needs a spinner or some form of support.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
U-turn needs mention. Though D-nite getting U-turn wouldnt do it much, a Flygon without U-turn isnt a Flygon. In my eyes at least. The sexy ability combined with the sexy typing allows it to abuse U-turn, together with its fairly nice speed.

Okay, this has been in my mind for quite a while, but exactly why is Flygon always considered better? I mean, Dragonite has good bulk and more attack. More importantly, Dragonite has access to Dragon Dance, which has been proven as a major force within DPP because of Salamence. On the other hand, Flygon can use a scarf more effectively, seeing as it has 100 base speed as opposed to 80. Therefore, I'll put a pro and cons list and I'd like to see some opinions and info, as I'm not the best DPP player.

Flygon's Pros
. Flygon is faster, and in another speed tier.
. Flygon is part Ground and has access to Earthquake w/ stab.
. T-Wave Immunity.
. Resists Stealth Rocks.
. Doesn't take residual Sand damage.
. U-Turn
Dragonite's Pros
. Has access to Dragon Dance.
. A better movepool.
. Can run a mixed set better due to higher attacking stats.
. Better bulk.

Flygon's Cons
. Is less bulky.
. Runs mixed worse, but still plausibly.
. Worse attacking stats.
. No access to great stat-boosting moves.

Dragonite's Cons
. A god-awful ability.
. Less speed, and therefore, less chances of running a scarf effectively.
. No stab EQ.
. Weak to Stealth Rocks.
. Gets hurt by residual Sand damage.

Please help me fill out more of this list, and help me with my realization that one is better than the other.
neither out classes the other. dnite is a dragon dancer (offensive or bulky) or a mixed attacker (possibly lead). Flygon is more of a scout/revenge killer with a scarf set (eq/outrage/u-turn/splash), although band and the occasional mixed (lure for physical walls) set appear too.

I don't see how they are comparable aside from their dragon type

Flygon isn't considered better as far as I'm aware. Maybe easier to use with an SR resistance as opposed to a weakness and U-turn to scout switches but Dragonite is almost definitely more dangerous on average. However this isn't to say Flygon can't kick the shit out of things (unless you run Jolly Scarf like a bitch, Adamant 2HKOes offensive Suicune after SR!!) on occasion, it's just that its role is usually more of a utility one with all the things it checks (although Dragonite does occasionally do this with its bulky DD set that checks things first and sweeps second while also doing shit like Heal Bell which is obviously an amazing luxury to have).

Flygon needs no support and be can slapped on any team, however Dragonite has the potential to be more threatening.

Just ask yourself what would you rather face? Cus no one wants to face Dragonite.

Yeah, I'm not that active in DPP, but from other gens knowledge I can say Flygon's speed, power, STAB EQ, make it quite a threat that keeps momeuntum on your side (especially with EQ). Plus there's that Screech set.....people call it a gimmick, but it can seriously screw up a lot of Physical walls and open holes to support sweepers.

Dnite itself is versatile too, as it can DD, play bulky, or mixed offense, all pretty well. Dragon Dance is a move it can abuse seriously well to set up and sweep hard, and Mixnite can punch a lot of holes in unprepared teams. It also gets solid priority in Extremespeed and a good boosting move, stuff that Flygon doesn't have, but it has a lot lower speed and is not as good at keeping offensive momentum.

Yeah, I'm not that active in DPP, but from other gens knowledge I can say Flygon's speed, power, STAB EQ, make it quite a threat that keeps momeuntum on your side (especially with EQ). Plus there's that Screech set.....people call it a gimmick, but it can seriously screw up a lot of Physical walls and open holes to support sweepers.

Dnite itself is versatile too, as it can DD, play bulky, or mixed offense, all pretty well. Dragon Dance is a move it can abuse seriously well to set up and sweep hard, and Mixnite can punch a lot of holes in unprepared teams. It also gets solid priority in Extremespeed and a good boosting move, stuff that Flygon doesn't have, but it has a lot lower speed and is not as good at keeping offensive momentum.
A bit too slow to run Screech, it also doesn't wall-break Skarm. Which in turn, is wall-broken by LO Fire Blast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)