Klinklang [QC 2/3] [written]

Overview
########

Klinklang has one trick up it's sleeve that make it viable in RU: Shift Gear. Shift Gear raises both speed and attack making Klinklang a potent late game cleaner in just one turn. With Klinklang's relatively good bulk and coveted Steel typing it is able to set up a Shift Gear without much trouble against walls like Golbat and Aromatisse. After a Shift Gear boost Klinklang will be able to outspeed to entire unscarfed metagame and even quite a few Choice Scarf users like Braviary. After a Shift Gear boost it also hits quite hard with it's other signature move Gear Grind which can even go through Substitute's. Klinklang also becomes difficult to revenge kill after a boost thanks to it's good base defenses allowing it to tank some priority hits. Lastly there is also Klinklang's ability Clear Body. While Clear Body doesn't come in handy all the time it can help against Intimidate users like Hitmontop and it ignores Sticky Web's speed drop which can really help against Sticky Web teams.
However Klinklang is not without it's fair share of flaws. Outside of Shift Gear and Gear Grind Klinklang's movepool is extremely shallow. Return and Wild Charge are the only physical coverage moves Klinklang gets which leaves Klinklang walled pretty easily. Cobalion, Doublade, Magneton and Gligar are all common Pokemon that can wall Klinklang without too much trouble. Due to this Klinklang will need quite a bit of support in removing these Pokemon. However even with the support it needs Klinklang still holds a solid niche in the RU tier.

Shift Gear
########
name: Shift Gear
move 1: Shift Gear
move 2: Gear Grind
move 3: Return / Wild Charge
move 4: Substitute / Wild Charge
ability: Clear Body
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Shift Gear, Klinklang's signature move is first on this set. Shift Gear is the main move here as it allows Klinklang to raise both his speed and attack in one turn making it a good late game cleaner. Gear Grind is the second move on this set as it is the only physical STAB move Klinklang gets. With an effective base 100 power and the ability to break Substitute's it is a great move and should be used on any Klinklang set just like Shift Gear. Return gives Klinklang the best neutral coverage alongside Gear Grind so it's the preferred option. Return also has a generally high base power of base 102 and doesn't have any drawbacks to using it. Substitute is the last move on this set. Substitute acts as a safety shield for Klinklang granting it the ability to bypass status as well as making him more difficult to revenge kill. With Substitute Klinklang can set up on the likes of Cresselia, Jellicent and Alomomola without fearing any status which makes Substitute the preferred move in the last moveslot. Wild Charge can also be used on the last two moveslots instead of Return or Substitute. Wild Charge give Klinklang the ability the hit specific targets like Moltres and Slowking harder while also being Klinklang's best move against Steel types. However due to the fact that it doesn't give much additional coverage alongside Gear Grind and it's annoying recoil makes it an inferior option most of the time.

Set Details
========

The EV spread listed allows Klinklang to outspeed up to max speed Adamant Braviary before the Shift Gear boost. Max attack is used to maximize damage output since and the remainder of the EVs is put into HP for extra bulk. However if you don't feel the need to outrun those Pokemon you can run a bulkier EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD. Since Klinklang can outspeed most of the RU tier at +2 without speed investment this spread can also be a good option. For items there is the choice between Leftovers and Life Orb. Leftovers should be used in conjunction with Substitute as it gives Klinklang more longevity and allows Klinklang to set up multiple Substitute's without losing too much HP. However if you are not running Substitute then Life Orb is the main choice. Life Orb trades in longevity for the ability to hit much harder. Both are good options and the item choice mostly depends on the moves of choice. Clear Body is the only ability that Klinklang should use. Clear Body prevents Intimidate from working and ignores Sticky Web's speed drop. Not like Plus and Minus have use in single battles anyway.

Usage Tips
========

Klinklang is a Pokemon that is best used late game. Once all it's checks and counters are gone only then will Klinklang be able to sweep. Setting up a Shift Gear with Klinklang isn't really all that difficult thanks to his good amount of resistances and above average defensive stats. Walls like Aromatisse and Golbat are perfect set up opportunities for Klinklang since it can take any hit from them and set up a Shift Gear. If you are running Substitute then Klinklang can even set up on Pokemon like Cresselia and Alomomola without fearing possible status. Walls often have trouble breaking Klinklang's Substitute while Klinklang's moves do pretty good damage to them at +1.

Team Options
========

Hazards are fantastic support for Klinklang as they help wearing down most of it's counters. Spikes in particular helps as it is more useful for wearing down Steel types, Klinklang's greatest enemy. Good users of Spikes include Accelgor, Qwilfish, Roselia and Omastar who can all help Klinklang ensure a sweep. Since Steel types give Klinklang trouble Pokemon that can effectively get rid of them are also great team support. Dugtrio can effectively trap all of the Steel types in the tier bar Bronzong making it a fantastic teammate for Klinklang. Fire types like Emboar and Moltres can take on most Steel types of the tier with ease making them great team options. Slowking and Jellicent can defeat Cobalion one on one with either Fire Blast or Scald for the former or burning with Will-O-Wisp for the latter also making them solid team options.

Other Options
########

Klinklang's movepool is barren so you won't find many options here., however there are a few things Klinklang can do that haven't been mentioned. Klinklang has a decent special movepool consisting of moves like Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch and Signal Beam. however the fact that Klinklang's special attack is only average at best and lack of boosting moves makes it a poor option. Certain types of Hidden Power can be used to lure in specific targets. Hidden Power Fire lures in Steel types and Tangrowth while Hidden Power Ice can lure Tangrowth and Gligar, however these moves have little use outside of the specific targets. Magnet Rise can be used for predicted Earthquake's and let's you be able to set up on Gligar and Rhyperior. Lastly you can use a resttalk set with Shift Gear and Gear Grind but since Steel isn't a very good attacking type it makes it a rather poor option.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel types**: Steel types are the bane of Klingklang's existance, with their high defenses and resistance to Gear Grind and Return they can easily take any hit Klinklang throws at them. Steelix stands out as the best counter to Klinklang as it resists Gear Grind and Return, is immune to Wild Charge and can either Roar away boosts or do heavy damage with Earthquake.

**Physical walls**: Pokemon with high defensive stats like Gligar and Tangrowth can take on Klinklang well thanks to their high defenses.

**Emboar and Moltres**: Both Emboar and Moltres can take a hit from Klinklang without much trouble and hit back hard with their STAB Fire moves. Moltres has to be wary or Wild Charge though.

**Bulky water types**: Bulky Water types like Jellicent and Gastrodon resist Gear Grind and can take a Return without much trouble. However most of them bar Gastrodon, Lanturn and Seismitoed have to watch out of Wild Charge.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So this is finally QC ready :] going over this and I have a few thoughts to share:

[Overview]
• Can be underwhelming at times
Why? You should explain that, or just remove it, no need to make it sound worse to the reader.

I would also mention how it has a relatively easy time setting up on common walls like Aromatisse, Alomomola, Cresselia and Golbat off the top of my head.

You should also put something along the lines of "hard to revenge kill after shift gear and good bulk that lets it tank a priority move or two"

[Usage tips]
This looks pretty good, but make sure to emphasize how well it can set up on said walls, they can barely touch it behind a substitute.

[Team Options]
You mention that Delphox can beat Gligar, that's not right, since it can't switch into it. Mention Slowking and Jellicent, since both of them can take on Cobalion nicely, with the former using Fire Blast/Scald and the latter burning with WoW, and both of them resist both STABs, and can take on Gligar rather well. Mention Zoroark too, as it can hurt Doublade. I'd replace Delphox's mention with Moltres since it takes on Doublade better.

[Checks and Counters]
Put them like this:

**Steel types**: blah blah
**Cobalion**: etc
**Gligar**: blah blah

Otherwise this looks tight, simple and to the point, good job :] also keep in mind i'm not QC, just putting my thoughts. i'll let real qc decide :]

Last edited:
So this is finally QC ready :] going over this and I have a few thoughts to share:

[Overview]

Why? You should explain that, or just remove it, no need to make it sound worse to the reader.

I would also mention how it has a relatively easy time setting up on common walls like Aromatisse, Alomomola, Cresselia and Golbat off the top of my head.

You should also put something along the lines of "hard to revenge kill after shift gear and good bulk that lets it tank a priority move or two"

[Usage tips]
This looks pretty good, but make sure to emphasize how well it can set up on said walls, they can barely touch it behind a substitute.

[Team Options]
You mention that Delphox can beat Gligar, that's not right, since it can't switch into it. Mention Slowking and Jellicent, since both of them can take on Cobalion nicely, with the former using Fire Blast/Scald and the latter burning with WoW, and both of them resist both STABs, and can take on Gligar rather well. Mention Zoroark too, as it can hurt Doublade. I'd replace Delphox's mention with Moltres since it takes on Doublade better.

[Checks and Counters]
Put them like this:

**Steel types**: blah blah
**Cobalion**: etc
**Gligar**: blah blah

Otherwise this looks tight, simple and to the point, good job :] also keep in mind i'm not QC, just putting my thoughts. i'll let real qc decide :]
Implemented changes, thanks :)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I'll take a look at this one:

[Shift Gear]

- Note that Spikes is more important when it comes to wearing down most of Klinklang's counters as many are grounded Steel-types

[Other Options]

- Steelix has Roar, so you're still not setting up on it. You can set up on Rhyperior though

[Checks and Counters]

- Hitmontop isn't a true counter. The Klinklang user can easily use Sub until Close Combat has lowered Hitmontop's Defense enough to KO with Gear Grind. (2 drops are needed after a boost to guarantee the OHKO, so not hard to get)
- I'd make mention of Emboar and Moltres. Both can take a +1 Return and manhandle Klinklang with Fire-type moves, though Moltres needs to be wary of Wild Charge

Not much else honestly. This looks good for the most part Snotjoch aside from the minor things above. Big thanks to Arikado for doing a good job of going through this before I got a chance to.

QC Approved 1/3

Ok, I'll take a look at this one:

[Shift Gear]

- Note that Spikes is more important when it comes to wearing down most of Klinklang's counters as many are grounded Steel-types

[Other Options]

- Steelix has Roar, so you're still not setting up on it. You can set up on Rhyperior though

[Checks and Counters]

- Hitmontop isn't a true counter. The Klinklang user can easily use Sub until Close Combat has lowered Hitmontop's Defense enough to KO with Gear Grind. (2 drops are needed after a boost to guarantee the OHKO, so not hard to get)
- I'd make mention of Emboar and Moltres. Both can take a +1 Return and manhandle Klinklang with Fire-type moves, though Moltres needs to be wary of Wild Charge

Not much else honestly. This looks good for the most part Snotjoch aside from the minor things above. Big thanks to Arikado for doing a good job of going through this before I got a chance to.

QC Approved 1/3
Implemented changes :)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I might slash Wild Charge with Return as well as substitute tbh, its not quite as strong as Return but hits certain targets such as Slowking much, much harder etc.

A bulkier spread might be worth mentioning in the set details, outspeeding faster choice scarfed threats is nice but iirc even 0 speed Klinklang outspeeds Accelgor at +2.

Mentioning the fact that Clear Body completely ignores stat drops could be something to mention in the overview imo. Doesn't come in handy *that* often compared to other abilities, but completely ignoring Intimidate's attack drop and STICKY WEB'S SPEED DROP are definitely worth mentioning imo.

otherwise, looks p. good.

QC Approved 2/3

I might slash Wild Charge with Return as well as substitute tbh, its not quite as strong as Return but hits certain targets such as Slowking much, much harder etc.

A bulkier spread might be worth mentioning in the set details, outspeeding faster choice scarfed threats is nice but iirc even 0 speed Klinklang outspeeds Accelgor at +2.

Mentioning the fact that Clear Body completely ignores stat drops could be something to mention in the overview imo. Doesn't come in handy *that* often compared to other abilities, but completely ignoring Intimidate's attack drop and STICKY WEB'S SPEED DROP are definitely worth mentioning imo.

otherwise, looks p. good.

QC Approved 2/3
Implemented the changes. Will start writing the analysis tomorrow.

You said your spread outspeeds scarf delphox and zoroark at +2 but the former uses a modest nature and scarf zoroark isn't really a thing. I'd use a spread to outspeed adamant braviary before the boost or at least max speed modest exploud as the bulk can be really handy. Outspeeding +1 modest yanmega with a boost could also be enough

You said your spread outspeeds scarf delphox and zoroark at +2 but the former uses a modest nature and scarf zoroark isn't really a thing. I'd use a spread to outspeed adamant braviary before the boost or at least max speed modest exploud as the bulk can be really handy. Outspeeding +1 modest yanmega with a boost could also be enough
Changed the spread to outspeed adamant braviary.

Bumping this because I want to get this analysis done soon.

Also now that Shuckle has been banned do you guys think Clear Body should still be mentioned in the overview? I mean Sticky Web isn't completely gone but it's nowhere near as common nor good as it was before Shuckle ban.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this because I want to get this analysis done soon.

Also now that Shuckle has been banned do you guys think Clear Body should still be mentioned in the overview? I mean Sticky Web isn't completely gone but it's nowhere near as common nor good as it was before Shuckle ban.
Yes, keep Clear Body as it's the only useful ability Klinklang has (trust me, you won't be using Plus or Minus in Singles)

Yes, keep Clear Body as it's the only useful ability Klinklang has (trust me, you won't be using Plus or Minus in Singles)
Well Clear Body should definetly remain the main ablity but would it still be worth mentioning in the overview?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Well Clear Body should definetly remain the main ablity but would it still be worth mentioning in the overview?
Not QC or anything but imo you should be fine if you just remove 'most importantly', this way you're just listing some situational benefits Clear Body provides, without giving any misleading emphasis to webs. If somebody more qualified thinks that webs have become completely irrelevant and that it should be removed altogether (afaik they haven't but I don't know that much about RU) they'll correct me anyway I suppose (but I'd say this is a pretty minor thing anyway).

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
it's atk not att

also, i feel like you could add a bit more to c&c; maybe mention bulky waters like jellicent, gastrodon, etc?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh wow, completely forgot to do this

Anyways, Durant dropped this and Klinklang probably wouldn't get QC approved the second time around

locking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)