Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Very obviously a work in progress. The outlines and shading are extremely basic, and I haven't even touched the main body or back arms yet. I still have a lot of ideas on how to improve upon this, but I think that it's pretty okay so far. I'm still waiting for decent reference images before getting started on the backsprite.

I noticed that when you make diancie shiny in the teambuilder, the sprite goes to an older version.
(sorry, I couldn't upload an image). Just thought that I'd point that out.

I did shiny mega for latios :D

*also the mega for latias is the same
Actually, Mega Latios and Latias DO have a difference, but its very minor: the eye color. Mega Latias has yellow eyes, while Latios has red ones.

Id also try to make it look more of an olive color so that it's more accurate to its in game shiny palette. :>

Actually, Mega Latios and Latias DO have a difference, but its very minor: the eye color. Mega Latias has yellow eyes, while Latios has red ones.

Id also try to make it look more of an olive color so that it's more accurate to its in game shiny palette. :>
oh i didn't know ok :D i will fix that thx and i am also working on shiny mega charizard x

Last edited:
ok but i may still do it if thats ok ^_^
It's appreciated that you want to help the project progress, but I'd say please avoid doing shinies until sprites are signed off - otherwise you're only wasting your own time, as your shiny sprite will never be used if QC edits are made to the sprite.

Hope you don't mind that I tweaked your edit, Layell. It seems that you had gotten rid of one or two key features that were in the original one, mainly the spike above its eye. While said spike isn't dark green like in the original (it just appears that way in the Sugimori artwork because of the lighting). Also just made a few minor edits here and there, pertaining to details that were removed that could have been kept on there without having to worry about it being cluttered (because, let's just face it: Mega T-Tar has a LOT of inner details).

Also tweaked the shading on the top-left (our left) shoulder spike, since part of it would have light reflecting off of it since it isn't completely away from the light source. Also the mouth was pillow-shaded, so I fixed that up, too.

Though if you weren't finished editing it in the first place, my apologies. It sounded like you were finished with it and were moving onto other ones. :>

Anyway I think I'll attempt at QC'ing some other sprites that haven't gotten any added attention yet, if that's okay.

It's appreciated that you want to help the project progress, but I'd say please avoid doing shinies until sprites are signed off - otherwise you're only wasting your own time, as your shiny sprite will never be used if QC edits are made to the sprite.
ok :( when do i know when all the QC is done? also can i do a shiny on Hawlucha ?

Oh my god, so like I had to redo almost this entire thing. x] The size of the original just wasn't cutting it for me (seemed much too small), so i enlarged the overall size of it just a tidbit and did all the editing from there. I used the back sprite in the spreadsheet as a size and shading reference (mainly for the size) for consistency's sake.

New vs. Old

Also I know you guys said that you don't want the shinies finished until a sprite is approved / the QC is approved, but I'll just post this up so we can get a basic idea of the shiny:

It's different than regular ol' shiny Blaziken. But I figure you guys are aware of this. x]

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I literally just changed five pixels on the back to make shiny ok but here they are and approved for animation.

Okay, so finished tweaking Blastoise, here:

Edit: the chin needed to be a pixel taller.
Looks a lot better, but still a lot of room for improvement, I'm sure. I'm gonna go ahead and check the back sprite to see if I need to edit anything there, once again for the sake of consistency.

Well, that didn't take as long as I had anticipated!

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hawlucha isn't finalized, so there isn't much point.

Heck I know for a fact a few spriters have been working on an update for a while now for the macho bird. I just haven't seen a finalized copy from them for ages. It's really not worth posting shinies for unfinished mons princessofmusic and I haven't okayed because I don't want to upload things I will have to recolour and replace later. Same goes for shiny Lati's that one is getting some attention later to mesh better with normal formes.

Also considering Hawlucha's orange/yellow colours there is no way I'm not doing a shiny test before approving it, such an act would be irresponsible of me.

I am just trying to help if no one wants my awesome shiny sprites then so be it. I can do shiny sprites but if you dont want my help thats fine i thought it would be cool to do a few shiny sprites :D like really? wow ok then my help is not needed here...

I am just trying to help if no one wants my awesome shiny sprites then so be it. I can do shiny sprites but if you dont want my help thats fine i thought it would be cool to do a few shiny sprites :D like really? wow ok then my help is not needed here...
I dont think anyone was trying to be rude here, just honest. While I think they really appreciate your willingness to help and such, there really isn't much of a point to recolor for a shiny if its not already top-notch quality if the actual sprite is just going to be edited and fixed up later. :)

I can finish Hawlucha for you if you'd like; we'll see if it gets the okay from Layell, then we can see about you trying out a shiny palette for it? I mean it seems like that would be alright.

I'll have Hawlucha up momentarily. :>

Oh, awesome! Still a little fixing to do but those ones look so much better. :D

I finished up my finishing up of Mega Gyarados, too; front and back.

Also I want to let you guys know--whether you know or not, just want to make sure--that gender differences don't show up on Mega Gyarados. Okay, this is simple enough...but here's the catch: regular Mega Gyarados has white whiskers just like a female Gyarados; however, SHINY Mega Gyarados' whiskers are red, like the male regular Gyarados. Weird, right? I checked this on my Y version last night (I had 12 red Gyarados and kept one female and one male upon WT'ing the rest).

I've gotta admit, Hawlucha's feathers were fun to mess with. xD

I am really enjoying myself with this project. I just get to be pedantic and fix things up and yay.

In progress of fixing Mega Mawile...wow. Like Blaziken, I've had to pretty much remake the entire thing...the main reason being that the original was just slightly too small. So this means that I'll also have to remake the back sprite...but I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Speed-X sure is... speedy.

You might have missed this part Speed-X but I had essentially perfected the Gyarados palette for the shiny version.

Most importantly

-Belly black isn't the same as others to allow for the horns to be red and the belly to be tan for shiny
-White on whiskers is separate from eyes and teeth to be red
-Horn and whiskers share blacks to help make this all work.

This fits perfectly on the colour limit. It does limit the amount of shades but really when I looked at it last I was never able to come up with another option, even here I'd argue the palette isn't 'perfect' because of the fins and mouth sharing everything but it's what has to be done. Shiny Gyarados-Mega for worst shiny imo.

Last edited:
That's fine, looks more refined like that anyhow. It can be difficult to optimize the regular palette for a shiny one.

Pretty much completely remade this...moreso than the Blaziken. ._. Of course I still heavily referenced off of the original.

I had a bit of trouble with optimizing said palette for the shiny (black mouth, though it doesn't actually look too terrible), though, so you may want to go ahead and tweak it, Layell. x]

I've been working on completely remaking the back sprite, also.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I'd hold off on reworking stuff with animation at the moment Speed-X, it's a bit more difficult to rework animated stuff. If we keep reworking animated stuff in just ends in more headaches for all.

I'd also like to mention we need a consistency with the original forme which the current sprite I believe does better, although your sprite is fantastic in its own regard.

Ah, right. I suppose I did that without really noticing the fact that it had an animated version. I'll make sure to be a little more aware of what I'm doing instead of going nuts, then! :>

What sort of consistency? Is it a little too large now? ^^ '

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
It's also partly stylistic consistency, unless the mega explicity changes colours I prefer keeping the same, as well I do believe shiny mawile keeps the same mouth colour. I also prefer the same shading and line styles where I can push that. I try to think of it as how when the mon transforms we don't want people to notice how stylistically different our mega is from the original ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 23)