Other OU Teambuilding Competition V3 - Round 10 (Teambuilding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Going with Epique. He does a great job at creative a defensive backbone while using nukes to just destroy things. A few EVs could be streamlined tho, and I'd go with Roost/Recover over TBolt on Latias, but a good team overall

-gizmo-

Smogon's Kingpin
Epique.
His thought process was pretty clear and provided good insight.
Though I do agree on the rough evs.

This core I was about to use for Round 6 but someone gave me the idea for Azumarill + Latias so I'll do this one now.

These two typings complement each other together as they resist each other weaknesses (or is able to tank hits the other Pokemon is unable to). Ferrothorn can give Suicune some Leech Seed upon being forced to switch into it and give Suicune passive recovery other Leftovers. Suicune on the other hand can burn threats that threaten Ferrothorn and Ferrothorn would be able take their hits much easier than before. I actually like this core and maybe I'll jump in this >:D Teams must be submitted by Saturday, August 16th at 11:59 PM EST.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

So I always loved the concept of semi-stall with a powerful wall breaker or two so I applied that with this concept. Basically designed a defensive core around the Round 6 concept by adding in Chansey and Mew for additional support to keep things like strong special attackers at bay. Went for physically defensive Ferrothorn to help consistently check M-Gyarados among other strong physical hitters that could pose a problem for the special walls. Basically a support moveset with Mew to help the team function more successfully. Suicune is standard Crocune and Toxic Chansey to add on more residual damage in the long run. Went for mixed Thundurus to handle things such as Chansey, the Latis, Ttars, non Sand or Scarfed Excadrills, and stuff susceptible to Knock Off, which is almost everything lol. Defiant is always nice to catch those Defogs as well. Paired Thundurus up with M-Heracross as they have good offensive and defensive synergy in terms of typing. Standard Swords Dance Heracross to wall break much more easily with a Jolly Nature to outrun things such as Breloom and anything else that falls under its speed tier.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt

So, of course I started off with the core. I went for mixed wall Ferrothorn and Crocune. I chose Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball or Protect to allow Crocune and CBNite to potentially outspeed more, and punish opposing switch-ins and setup attempts.

Since this core is already 2 parts of the classic FWG setup, I figured it'd be a good idea to complete that. I went with Zard X for a few reasons. One, it makes a fun sweeping pair with Suicune, with both behaving very differently and needing different answers. Two, all of Zard X's checks and counters are dealt with and taken advantage of by either Ferrothorn or Suicune. As such, Zard X's sweeping ability is greatly improved.

For the next member, I settled on Choice Band Dragonite. This gives the team a powerful wallbreaker and creates a Double Dragon core with Zard X. The strong Extremespeed is invaluable too. This set uses Jolly over Adamant to outspeed Mega Heracross and OHKO with Outrage after SR.

Fifth member, Scarf Landorus-T. This gives the team a good revenge killer, pivot, and Knock Off abuser (a requirement on almost every team IMO). It also somewhat covers the team's vulnerability to Mega Pinsir, Zard X and Terrakion. Scarf LandoT also makes for a good check to Thundurus (Counter if not running HP Ice).

Finally, with 2 mons very weak to Stealth Rock, a reliable hazard remover was in order. Mandibuzz wasn't my first choice, with the whole "being a 3rd mon weak to SR" thing, but I think it was a good one. One of the bulkiest defog users (if not THE bulkiest), reliable recovery, STAB Foul Play, and is a good check to Mega Pinsir, enemy Zard Xs, and just about any other physical sweeper that isn't Azumarill or Mega Tyranitar. The sorta fast Taunt makes it a decent anti-lead too.

Last edited:

DeBlois

Banned deucer.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Hello, I am DeBlois, nice to meet you!

So, building a team around Suicune/Ferrothorn was a lot of fun. (Get it? Cause I put the other mons around Suicune/Ferrothorn..) Moving on.

My first thought was that I wanted to make a team that shows the power of Ferrothorn and Suicune, with Ferrothorn causing frustration and Suicune sweeping. So I thought about the counters to Suicune. First things that come into my head, Clefable/Thundurus/Venusaur/Vaporeon/things that can take a scald at +1 and set up(Mega Pinsir/Mega Charizard-X) So I thought, all these Pokemon, outside Thundurus/Vaporeon, can't take on a Choice Band Talonflame. Next on my mind was these two mons and something else to wear down the opposing team with Talonflame, I was, and still am, tempted to go for Mega Pinsir/Mega Mawile here, but with Aegislash gone, Mega Mawile being suspectet and Thundurus still being a huge threat. I thought I would test out Mega Gardevoir. Taunt for stall teams as everything, outside Scizor, get's beaten 1v1. At this point I have Talonflame as a good revenge killer, but weak to rocks. So I wanted another revenge killer that is also great against HO, after some testing of Choice Scarf Landorus-T I decided to go with Choice Scarf Excadrill, giving me another check against against Mega Pinsir and a solid switch into none-Focus Blast Thundurus' and this also gave me a Rapid Spinner, which is a huge help for Talonflame. Last, but not least, I wanted something that would wear down an opponents team even more, but instead of huge damage, I wanted a Pokemon that would cause Suicune have an easier sweep, I wanted things like Paralyze/Knock Off and Thundurus is the best Pokemon at this. I decided to go with Volt Switch over ThunderBolt, to keep up momentum and I can bring in Excadrill/Talonflame for huge damage.

Tyranitar over Talonflame.
Sand Rush LO Excadrill over CS Excadrill
Modest over Timid On Gardevoir

After some more testing I decided these changes were for the best.
I now use Tyranitar and Sand Rush Excadrill together, the reason for this is, in the current meta it is incredibly strong. A great rapid spinner combined with such amazing attack. I changed Talonflame for Tyranitar because I was a little weak to Chansey and Mew, now with Pursuit, I handle those two easy. I have an even stronger wallbreaker in Gardevoir, also the reason for modest is just to have more power. We don't need to + speed on her. Enjoy testing :3

Please feel free to change what you think would be better or anything I've missed :3

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Waiting MegaSlowbro
A random title o.o

ETT
Ferro thorn (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 208 HP / 172 Def / 128 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Sui Cune (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Talon Flame (Talonflame) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Hippow Don (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 12 SDef / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Rock Slide

Sci Zor (Scizor) (F) @ Scizorite
Trait: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Defog

Cres selia (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Toxic

Explanations

Well guyz, in these days i've few time to build, but just cuz i won the last two building contest here,in a row!! o.o, i decided to post one of my strongest semistall team.
The strategy is absolutely simple: make pressure with the hazardz, setted by Hippowdon+Ferrothorn, and Clean with Talonflame+Suicune. Starting from Suicune+Ferrothorn I inserted Talonflame to do a great water, grass and fire Core, still solid since DPP. I was weak to stallbreakers like Landorus-I and Megamedicham so i inserted a Cresselia, a wonderful resource when you are playing really bad to win ez with his bulkyness. Hippowon is the SR setter and is here to tank every Char X or Bisharps. 2 Tips about hippowdon: it hasn't Sand Stream cuz i play Cresselia, that has Moonlight. I use Rock Slide to hit Pinsir first of his boost, or, in extremis, after a
+2. Last i pick Scizor, a wonderful defogger that stops Mega Gardevoir, one of the best stallbreaker in Smogon metagame (rip aegi :c). Is really surprising how Hazardz+Defensive Stat up mons really works fine togheter o.o
Oh, and IDK why this forum gives me 4 hide o.o

Importable:
Suicune @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 104 HP / 180 Atk / 16 Def / 208 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Explanation:
When I first saw the pair of Suicune and Ferrothorn, I decided to build a balanced team around it. I went with Crocune since Tailwind Suicune does not work well with Ferrothorn. The evs for both of the are from their analysis. I went with the moves Knock Off on Ferrothorn to better handle Lati@s and punish switch ins that are immune to leech seed. I then added Latias as the defogger to beat Mega Venusaur and Thundurus. I decided that I wanted to have a Fire/Water/Grass core it so I added Talonflame. The spread and item enable Talonflame to handle Mega Pinsir, Mega Mawile, and Mega Scizor. I went with the stallbreaker set since I prefer the utility more than Bulk Up. I then added Mega Gardevior to help wallbreak for Suicune. Will-O-Wisp was selected since the team is slightly Mega Scizor and Mawile weak. The evs are to allow it to not be 2HKO by Latios's Psyshock. It is also useful to have another Lati@s check on balanced teams. Substitute Sword Dance Terrakion functions as additional sweeper and helps against offense and stall. Suicune also sets up on many of Terrakion's checks and counters.

Last edited:

That's my team. I know it's mega-less, and I know that is generally a bad idea. However, I think this version is better than the Pinsir > Terrakion version, because Terrakion is more consistentand breaks stall pretty well. He also has some nice resists which can come in handy. I really like how solid this team's synergy is- for every weakness I have there is at least one mon with a resistance, if not more. It also doesn't repeat typings- most people really don't care about this but I kind of have OCD about that stuff so it makes me especially happy to see teams that don't repeat typings. If you want more security vs. powerful Special attackers Latias is always an option over Latios, but I personally think Terrakion and Talonflame check Charizard-Y, and Suicune is a good enough secondary switch in to Keldeo. Running Latias give you more security but costs power, a trade off you can decide for yourself whether or not to take.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 196 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack
- Rock Slide

Hipppowdon synergizes excellently with Suicune and Ferrothorn. He can primarily switch into Thundurus and wall it, or Manectric that bother the core. As a physical wall he is the team's primary answer to mons like Talonflame and Excadrill, but his special bulk can somewhat useful. The spread allows him to take 2 LO close combats from Terrakion, after Stealth Rock. The rest is in SpD to ensure Thundurus can't overpower him easily, and Latios can't smash through with Draco Meteor. Rock Slide is occasionally necessary for Balloon Excadrill, and shows Talonflame who's in charge. Rocks are on Hippo because Ferrothorn has more fun support moves to use than Hippowdon.

Ferrothorn was required, so no surprise that it's here. This team uses it as a wall, mostly for it's steel typing. It walls Azumarill primarily, but it is troublesome for anything without fire or fighting moves. Ferrothorn has great bulk and can be quite annoying with Leech Seed and Knock Off. Protect can not only regain extra health through Leech Seed and leftovers, but ease prediction against Keldeo and Banded Dragonite. It can also troll the hell out of Medicham. The spread is straight up stolen from the analysis, and it looks pretty solid to me.

Suicune is actually really cool- it has really good bulk and it pressures offensive teams a lot, because they use stuff like Rotom-W and Latias to handle water types. Even Ferrothorn is unreliable due to Scald burns. Stall teams are a matchup where cune is a lot less useful, but it can still be a part of the stallbreaking agenda. It basically can burn the unaware mon (or sweep if one is absent) and then pressure the heal beller to come out, which can be predicted. Pressure can also sort of handle low PP moves nicely, such as Heal Bell Clefable. The set is standard, obviously, and so are all of the moves. Suicune can be really dangerous if well supported, and I think this team does that.

Talonflame's synergy fits really well. It can also be an emergency panic button, which is always good. I'm running Swords Dance, but almost any set should work fine. Swords Dance provides a lot of power which is nice for revenge killing. Talonflame is important because it can kill Mega Venusaur, a somewhat problematic pokemon for my team. It can always be burned, but this and Psyshock from Latios are the only moves I have that hit it really hard.

Latios is the obligatory defogger and something of a switch in to Keldeo and Chairzard-Y This is the spread I always use on Latis, it has a bit of bulk and enough speed to outspeed Keldeo and hit it with Psyshock. Psyshock is necessary for Venusaur and Draco is the strongest move it gets. Roost is for recovery, but HP fire is an option as well. If you aren't running roost I'd probably just run max Speed and SpA.

Terrakion is kind of a cool pokemon, and I run it a lot. Choice Band actually breaks a lot of stall and offense that lack defensive Landorus-T. SpD Gliscor is not a good switch in and neither is Mega Scizor. Adamant is stupid strong but Jolly is good for Pinsir so I put that down on this team.

Won a Smogon Frontier battle vs. CTC with this team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-152429642

I also beat Stathakis in the Smogon frontier with this.

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Won a Smogon Frontier battle vs. CTC with this team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-152429642

I also beat Stathakis in the Smogon frontier with this.
No offense but CTCs team was 6-0ed by Crocune, which is like one of the pre-requisites of this week's competition...so it really didn't showcase the rest of the team supporting it at all. When you beat Stathakis you burned his Kube first turn, and then crit his Clefable after you started a CM war that he would have eventually won due to having Stored Power. Not saying it's a bad team, but those replays aren't relevant in proving your teams viability and also it's not actually a big deal bragging about beating CTC every chance you get because you won at team preview lol

[3:19pm] fuckthefrontier: reyscarface sub out ctc
[3:19pm] fuckthefrontier: yn
[3:19pm] asterat: if u havent beat ctc
[3:19pm] asterat: u can e
[3:19pm] asterat: z

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)