Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Might as well come up for air, since the backsprite will probably take another 12 hours to make.

Mega Gallade (Front Only)

But no seriously, this took twelve hours to make, both because College sucks and I'm just that dedicated to making awesome representations of Gallade. I actually couldn't find time in my schedule to sketch a pose for M-Gallade, since pulling out a 3DS in class isn't very discrete, so instead, I took the slow route to spriting M-Gallade. I basically placed two Gallade sprites on the canvas and just played with the pencil tool until I found a pose that worked, and 8 sets of arms, 3 sets of legs, 3 torsos, 8 capes and innumerable head edits later, this was the result. This was a serious labor of love, and I think it came out looking pretty awesome.

-This sprite is 100% scratched. Any similarities to the original were made intentionally in order to maintain consistency between the family.
-The original sprite's colors have been edited. As M-Gallade uses about 5x more teal and increased amounts of red and white, I thought some changes should be made to accommodate. The orange-red of the chest spike has been altered to a more magenta shade, the teal has been brightened and features an additional highlight shade, and the two darkest shades of White are now darker, higher contrast shades. Also, the outline shade of Dark Green has been removed, as it was running at 16 colors and not really adding anything to the sprite.
-Pose is based loosely on Mega Gallade's punching animation in ORAS with slightly less uppercut. This pose looks more aggressive than the base BW pose, while not looking as stupid as the Platinum sprite.
-Cape was a pain to sprite. This version of the cape was made with the Sugomori art used as a heavy reference, while keeping in mind that the cape seems to be identical to Gardevoir's dress in terms of material. (No seriously, give it a look.)

Backsprite may require a slight pose edit. I'm unsure yet whether or not I'll actually do that, but it seems like having the cape take up 50% of the back might look a tad weird. Either way, I think the frontsprite looks as good as it'll get pose-wise, so it'll remain as such.

It's worth mentioning that I also have QC edits for Mega Sableye in the pipeline, so that's going to be a thing too. It's basically taking the role of "thing I work on when I haven't started posing the next thing" so I have no idea when you guys should expect to see that. But it's on its way, as well as M-Gallade's backsprite and a certain other Mega that just got some new reference material with the release of a certain new game. +)

Econ just ended, so I'm heading out. Sláinte!

Fixed:View attachment 28538View attachment 28540View attachment 28539View attachment 28543View attachment 28542View attachment 28544View attachment 28545 These guys made into separate files. Keep in mind that they still won't turn into transparent files for some reason.
Edited:View attachment 28554View attachment 28555View attachment 28557View attachment 28556View attachment 28558View attachment 28561View attachment 28559View attachment 28560Colors fixed and turned into shinies. I tried counting the colors on Camerupt, but not sure if it's 16 or 15. If it's 16 don't fret to message me back.

Edit: Mewtwo confirmed for Smash, time to celebrate not having a Wii U
I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Mega Sharpedo is missing the six (three visible) spikes lining its nose. Just thought I'd point that out. Also, I remember Layell mentioning a tidbit on Mega Camerupt pertaining to the grin it has. In my opinion, it would work better in the rare animation (in my mind, I see it grinning while the lava in its "volcano" hump bubbles ever more rapidly). Mega Slowbro's back could use a bit more QC as I'm seeing the spikes on the third section of its shell looks much more dull compared to how they're drawn in its front. I'd edit them myself, but I don't know if I need the permission of the original artist to do so.

I understand these are most likely being done for the purposes of putting them on PS! (and correct me if I'm wrong). ...Now that I think about it, you all probably know about these -mistakes- and I'm speaking the obvious.

TrainerSplash I believe you only need to register both copies on Club Nintendo to receive the -code- for Mewtwo on the 3DS and Wii U (if you're willing to spend money on a -version- you probably won't play for the sake of using Mewtwo).

aXL The Mega Gallade sprite looks very well done. I have a feeling the back sprite will come out just as well. Don't stress yourself too hard, bruh; I can see you're itching to get it done (this is an assumption, and pardon me if I'm wrong).

Since Layell was fine with the Mega Pinsir sprites, I decided to end it there and see to working on other sprites. Your brother's finally home, MegaCross. Joy to the world, for the war has finally ended.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Might as well come up for air, since the backsprite will probably take another 12 hours to make.

Mega Gallade (Front Only)

But no seriously, this took twelve hours to make, both because College sucks and I'm just that dedicated to making awesome representations of Gallade. I actually couldn't find time in my schedule to sketch a pose for M-Gallade, since pulling out a 3DS in class isn't very discrete, so instead, I took the slow route to spriting M-Gallade. I basically placed two Gallade sprites on the canvas and just played with the pencil tool until I found a pose that worked, and 8 sets of arms, 3 sets of legs, 3 torsos, 8 capes and innumerable head edits later, this was the result. This was a serious labor of love, and I think it came out looking pretty awesome.

It's worth mentioning that I also have QC edits for Mega Sableye in the pipeline, so that's going to be a thing too. It's basically taking the role of "thing I work on when I haven't started posing the next thing" so I have no idea when you guys should expect to see that. But it's on its way, as well as M-Gallade's backsprite and a certain other Mega that just got some new reference material with the release of a certain new game. +)
It's so beautiful, can't wait for that backsprite. In the mean time, I hope you don't mind but I'll make a temporary back sprite as I did for the front sprite.

I want to see what kind of QC you will have on Mega Sableye. "and a certain other Mega that just got some new reference material with the release of a certain new game" I assume glalie, but if not I hope it's not sceptile, cause I still need to bother making new sprites for his front V_V

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Mega Sharpedo is missing the six (three visible) spikes lining its nose. Just thought I'd point that out. Also, I remember Layell mentioning a tidbit on Mega Camerupt pertaining to the grin it has. In my opinion, it would work better in the rare animation (in my mind, I see it grinning while the lava in its "volcano" hump bubbles ever more rapidly). Mega Slowbro's back could use a bit more QC as I'm seeing the spikes on the third section of its shell looks much more dull compared to how they're drawn in its front. I'd edit them myself, but I don't know if I need the permission of the original artist to do so.

I understand these are most likely being done for the purposes of putting them on PS! (and correct me if I'm wrong). ...Now that I think about it, you all probably know about these -mistakes- and I'm speaking the obvious.

TrainerSplash I believe you only need to register both copies on Club Nintendo to receive the -code- for Mewtwo on the 3DS and Wii U (if you're willing to spend money on a -version- you probably won't play for the sake of using Mewtwo).
Mega Sharpedo's spikes are like teeth of an actual shark, they can fall off and come back. so I think what we are doing is making pop in and off similar to what Ferroseed does in some of his XY animations. So it isn't wrong, but I don't think it's what the base sprite will have. I know for sure when we start animating we will have to do something with those spikes/outside teeth.

Yes this project is for Pokemon Showdown, current sprites and updates are already on it now with it's new ORAS update with Hoopa's new form being the only one to not be included in the new update (maybe I'll try getting a sprite for it soon?).

Topic unrelated but a response to Tyrell: And yeah, you need both games and put them on Club Nintendo to get Mewtwo. That's why I made the joke, cause I don't have a Wii U. xP

M-Glalie, now with a backsprite!
I'm still unsure about the shading on the black parts, though it does only have 11 colors right now so it would be easy to add another color value in there.
That is a really nicely done draft of the back, Brylark. The only part I can mention about the Front is the eyes' positions. I think they'd look better if they were looking down at the foe instead of [toward the sun], if you understand where I'm coming from. Other than that, the Front looks really well done. The issues I'm seeing with the Back (besides the obvious fact it's a draft) is the proportions between the head and the lower jaw. See how the jaw curves more than the head when you look toward the left of the sprite? Visualizing it in my head, it could have its jaw circling more toward the right to even out the proportions. That and a bit of shading on both parts would create a good-looking Back, imo.

As for myself, I am debating on whether to do MegaTar. Been a fan of it since its debut in Gen II, so I wanna see what I can do with it.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Alright, so I have scrapped my idea of a new greninja, my new focus is to work on Gourgiest, and maybe fix a few ORAS Pokemon or two, specially the back sprites of the cosplay pikachu. And of course a temporary Gallade if Axl doesn't finish the main one by the time I am done.

Edit: fixed countless spelling mistakes in this paragraph. Someone remind me to never give updates on my phone again. How spell check thinks temporary should be said as "thirsty" I will never know.

Last edited:
View attachment 28891

This guy is a complete jerk to sprite, and I'm glad that progress has made it this far. The most frustrating part is/was those crazy wing feathers that have to be consistent. Back sprites are a nuisance, and I likely won't do it anytime soon, which is why I'm throwing this one up here for now.

Note to Layell: While I haven't tested it out yet, I have confidence that it's a shiny swap ;u;

If I find both the time and motivation, I might dabble with ORAS a bit, namely Pikachu costumes, Pidgeot, and Altaria (because I like birds kacaw), as nobody is helping PoM with XY and she is sad.

TrainerSplash Don't bother with Gourgeist; I have an old wip for that (Layell has seen it)

Brylark That's some high quality stuff, but I agree with Tyrell regarding the back sprite. The lower jaw does look angled too far to the left. Also, you ought to add another black shade as you mentioned (11 is a really low colour count).

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'd thought I'd stream again I haven't done one in awhile I although I do them a lot, I'd thought It's been a small while.

Going to make what I said above. I'm totally not using this project as an excuse to not work on my two essays.
Edit:
upload_2014-10-27_17-55-55.png
Gallade Temp is done. I tried fixing Pikachu Popstar and adding a skirt to it's back. It is physically impossible unless we make it larger...

Last edited:
Well, I've finally decided to try and do some revamps to Mega Altaria:

Updates include:
-Much more appealing color scheme
-A completely new tail
-Fluffy tail edits
-Edited bonnet and scarf
-Straightened neck
-Added three base wing poses.

This is still a bit of a work in progress, as I'm trying to mold the new straightened neck pose into the tail. My concerns are the top right hand corner of the tail, as it doesn't seem to blend well with the rest of it. Also, the tail is a bit clunky too. It's hard trying to get the tail to look natural, while also fitting the 96x96 limit. As a final note, the two extra wing poses are placeholders until I find the time to make up something more fitting. The middle wing pose is alright to me, but (as if it's not obvious) the last pose is simply a rotated wing of the first pose. Anyone may feel free to work on the wings if they wish.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Wait, so are these edits or just showing us what has been finished?
Either way they look nice. I look forward to everything else being finished.

I should start dedicating my time towards some other Pokemon before ORAS comes out (admit it we will all probably slow down on the project for at least a month when it's out) I also have mid terms in December I think, so if I dissappear you know why.

Yay 22 more days till ORAS. I feeling like I'm getting old ;_;

So, in the spirit of Halloween, have a spoopy ghost.
Mega Sableye
Old________New_________Base_______

So yeah, I had an idea for this guy that I wanted to try out, and I gave him a bit of a facelift on the side.
-Removed the white highlight from the ruby and altered the shades to appear darker.
-Played with the face a lot. Increased the size by several pixels to make it more comparable to B. Sableye, tweaked the shading and eye to look more accurate, and gave it more of a Cheshire cat grin. Also straightened out the antennae a bit.
-Flipped around the legs to better resemble the pose it seems to always be in in official art.
-Slight hand and arm edits under the pretense of trying to better emulate his creepy grabby hands.
-Ruby shield heavily reworked. Vertices are more clearly marked, while the faces have been editted to share proportional areas of the gem. Also, I tried to create a sense of transparency in the gem by recreating the covered half of Sableye in the gem using only the gem's shades of red.

While a tad bit unorthodox, I'd like to think I managed to capture a bit of what makes MSableye creepy while allowing for the gem to appear transparent, which is what everyone wants apparently. Unfortunately the back sprite is going to be a lot lamer than the front, but w/e, I'll deal with that when I get around to it.

Until next post, stay awesome everyone. +)

Brylark Since nobody's brought it up yet, Mega Glalie has a completely insignificant crack in the ice that encompasses it's left eyebrow. At first I thought it was just the Sugimori art being superficial, but upon looking at the original mon and M-Glalie's ingame footage, it actually is present on the design. A minor nitpick, but apparently it's something that should be there.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
So, in the spirit of Halloween, have a spoopy ghost.
Mega Sableye
Old________New_________Base_______

So yeah, I had an idea for this guy that I wanted to try out, and I gave him a bit of a facelift on the side.
-Removed the white highlight from the ruby and altered the shades to appear darker.
-Played with the face a lot. Increased the size by several pixels to make it more comparable to B. Sableye, tweaked the shading and eye to look more accurate, and gave it more of a Cheshire cat grin. Also straightened out the antennae a bit.
-Flipped around the legs to better resemble the pose it seems to always be in in official art.
-Slight hand and arm edits under the pretense of trying to better emulate his creepy grabby hands.
-Ruby shield heavily reworked. Vertices are more clearly marked, while the faces have been editted to share proportional areas of the gem. Also, I tried to create a sense of transparency in the gem by recreating the covered half of Sableye in the gem using only the gem's shades of red.

While a tad bit unorthodox, I'd like to think I managed to capture a bit of what makes MSableye creepy while allowing for the gem to appear transparent, which is what everyone wants apparently. Unfortunately the back sprite is going to be a lot lamer than the front, but w/e, I'll deal with that when I get around to it.

Until next post, stay awesome everyone. +)
First I need to say holy s*** this thing looks good and much better than what was done to the sprite. It doesn't even look like the sprite I originally made. >_<
I knew my original gem/ruby looked odd so I never bothered fixing it as everyone seemed okay with it. I never thought about flipping the legs, which was a nice call I'd say. That new had bothers me though, I'll see what I can do later. I'm wondering if removing that white was good or not, as it could affect the back sprite? The grin still really bothers me but is a lot better that the previous one.

Now for that gem, the physics look so strange and how it magnifies does look outstanding. But after seeing how we could do that and how it would look, I don't think it would work well with the other BW Sprites. I think normal reflection works the best, not to mention we would have to animate INSIDE the gem when we get to animating. In general I'm having a hard time telling either if this was a heavy mod of my sprite, or a completely new one x)
Good job man, keep up the nice work.
Btw your art makes me jealous cause I suck compared to your godly artwork. Teach me how to be better x)

As we established last night, both Layell and I are happy with the Sableye QC. While I lack access to my Skype notes right now (I'm at university), roughly the reason we rejected notions of translucency before is it would make animation so much trickier. However, the magnified reflection is independent of Sableye's position (and also looks really badass), which is a totally ingenious workaround by aXl.

TrainerSplash said:
Wait, so are these edits or just showing us what has been finished?
Both? How exactly would they be finished if I didn't edit them?

EDIT: lol, you didn't say that

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I meant if they were recently edited, silly. XP

Reflection is really awesome though, just looks like a pain still, but more do-able than what any of us thought.

We really need to find a way to fix those Pikachu specifically Popstar as I said. As for Sableye's backsprite, we going to have some what of a transparently or full on light reflection?

Edit: also, Greninja sprite taken from Smash artwork. I thought it would have been a good base as that is his neutral stance in the game. I think it looks nicer than what we already have too. Same colors as the old one.

Last edited:
Brylark Since nobody's brought it up yet, Mega Glalie has a completely insignificant crack in the ice that encompasses it's left eyebrow. At first I thought it was just the Sugimori art being superficial, but upon looking at the original mon and M-Glalie's ingame footage, it actually is present on the design. A minor nitpick, but apparently it's something that should be there.
Ooh, I didn't notice that. Thanks for the heads up!
Also a version with eyes looking down as requested,

I'm not sure which one I prefer, I'm fine with either one.

Edit. Some minor Quilladin edits!
Old
New

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One third (24/72) of Kalos is finalized. Some sprites are re-uploaded even if they went unchanged (because that makes me feel better).

Fun fact, one year ago today was the day that Layell infracted me
Yup that was a year ago, and we're over a year with XY out and still we have only one third of the Kalos dex completed (mega's well that is a whole different story). Time does fly by. I'll see about uploading this all later in the week because I've been rather busy lately, too busy in fact to do a sprite update. Allow me to explain why:

moment of truth

I'm sure many of the mainstays of Smogon/PS will refer to me as the main spriter, but I dare say I could never claim full credit when I owe so much of this success to the other spriters. All of you on the sheet deserve songs of praise. One song especially should go to princessofmusic, who has shown her dedication, talent, and leadership skills. The two of us talk over all aspects of these sprites to the finest detail. Indeed she puts in as much work into this project as I do on a weekly basis. Of all the people who I've worked with on Smogon she is the one I admire the most.

I suppose that is why I have been dating her for the past two and a half months.

Yes the rumours are true (looking at you Shiruba), the two of us have become quite the couple, and now we know we are perfectly capable of balancing both of these aspects of our lives. For those who don't know I found out princessofmusic lived in the same city I do the day after I promoted her to co-leader of this project, from meeting each other to chatting every day about sprites and life for months on end, to now revealing to all of you here on smogon that we are officially a couple.

At first we just met up for casual dinners and chats, and then I invited her to some plays I was working on, we met up when one of us was feeling down, before and after vacations. When Showdown made the switch to sprites to models and I was killing myself over school work this princess went and made a card with the well wishes of my friends from this project, I returned the favour some months later. Eventually it got to the point where it just became so clear that the two of us work both artistically and personally. I could not ask for anything more.

So yeah I've been busy dating princessofmusic, we are going to go enjoy a nice dinner at my place now see you all later.

ps: although I made this big grand post, feel free to send your congrats via vm because this thread is long enough darn it

edit: fleur gets a free pass lol

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yup that was a year ago, and we're over a year with XY out and still we have only one third of the Kalos dex completed (mega's well that is a whole different story). Time does fly by. I'll see about uploading this all later in the week because I've been rather busy lately, too busy in fact to do a sprite update. Allow me to explain why:

moment of truth

I'm sure many of the mainstays of Smogon/PS will refer to me as the main spriter, but I dare say I could never claim full credit when I owe so much of this success to the other spriters. All of you on the sheet deserve songs of praise. One song especially should go to princessofmusic, who has shown her dedication, talent, and leadership skills. The two of us talk over all aspects of these sprites to the finest detail. Indeed she puts in as much work into this project as I do on a weekly basis. Of all the people who I've worked with on Smogon she is the one I admire the most.

I suppose that is why I have been dating her for the past two and a half months.

Yes the rumours are true (looking at you Shiruba), the two of us have become quite the couple, and now we know we are perfectly capable of balancing both of these aspects of our lives. For those who don't know I found out princessofmusic lived in the same city I do the day after I promoted her to co-leader of this project, from meeting each other to chatting every day about sprites and life for months on end, to now revealing to all of you here on smogon that we are officially a couple.

At first we just met up for casual dinners and chats, and then I invited her to some plays I was working on, we met up when one of us was feeling down, before and after vacations. When Showdown made the switch to sprites to models and I was killing myself over school work this princess went and made a card with the well wishes of my friends from this project, I returned the favour some months later. Eventually it got to the point where it just became so clear that the two of us work both artistically and personally. I could not ask for anything more.

So yeah I've been busy dating princessofmusic, we are going to go enjoy a nice dinner at my place now see you all later.

ps: although I made this big grand post, feel free to send your congrats via vm because this thread is long enough darn it

Sorry for double-post, but I literally just saw this and it seems pretty appropriate right now.

layell-pom-fb.png

chaos asked the sprite leaders among others to model official Smogon apparel for social media. Available for a limited time only, you can get your own here: http://teespring.com/smogonapparel Requisite tag for user aXl, buy something buddy

Thanks, David Solorzano! :D

next post of mine itt will be sprite-related, probably

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Key word: probably
Lol but in all seriousness lets get Back on the sprinting topic like this this thread is supposed to be about.

Nice edits to the Quilladen, Brylark, I'm excited to see that mega glalie back sprite once finished.

I think my last post was about Greninja? Anyone like that Greninja? I'll continue to edit it if anyone actually likes it.

Well, it's finally time. Took me hours to get done because of size issues (still), but I've tried to represent it as accurately as possible.

MEGA SALAMENCE

Here's a list of problems I've come across while making the sprite:
  1. The initial sprite was too large, so the wings couldn't fit in.
  2. I resized the sprite to an according size to make the wings fit in the canvas.
  3. The right wing. I still don't like it too much and it needs some work, but it's taken me quite some time to get it a bit right.
I've made the blue slightly darker than usual; I know there's no or barely any color difference in the models, but Mega Salamence is clearly a darker blue in the anime and on the official artwork, so I've decided to personalize it a bit compared to the regular one by giving it a darker blue body. I'm considering making the reds less purple-red and somewhat brighter to go along with this, but I don't really think that'd be too necessary. Counting transparency, the sprite has exactly 15 colors.

Lastly, I'll be attempting the backsprite tomorrow (yay for days off in college schedules).

If there's any feedback you can provide, go right ahead! Anything to improve the sprite!
- Quite possibly the biggest Salamence fan on the site, Kyuzeth

Last edited:
Pikachu Pop Star's naked back sprite was bothering me, so I threw together a new one quickly.

View attachment 29398

I'm not sure if I really like it. I'll get to the front later.

TrainerSplash Since you asked about Greninja, the sprite suffers from looking too "tiny". Your linework is also shoddy.

Kyuzeth I like the new Salamence overall and agree with the darker blue decision. I do think that it's a bit too large, especially compared with the title legendaries.

EDIT: Layell I deleted my post are you happy now ):

Pikachu Pop Star's naked back sprite was bothering me, so I threw together a new one quickly.

View attachment 29398

TrainerSplash Since you asked about Greninja, the sprite suffers from looking too "tiny". Your linework is also shoddy.

Kyuzeth I like the new Salamence overall and agree with the darker blue decision. I do think that it's a bit too large, especially compared with the title legendaries.

EDIT: Layell I deleted my post are you happy now ):
I'm really glad you like the sprite. It's indeed very large, but I've tried to scale it comparatively to regular Salamence and Mega's head is only about a pixel or perhaps two taller; those enormous wings it has just make it look a lot larger than it already is, that's the problem. It used to be even larger, so just making the canvas while trying to retain accuracy was a focal point of mine. I think size issues will remain a thing with Megamence though, it's just one of those Pokémon, haha.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form

View attachment 29398

Thank god someone finally made a Pikachu Pop Star that looks good, and when I mean finally, I mean my original one looked like crap. I don't think anyone else actually tried please don't hurt me if I someone made one and I forgot. I don't see what you mean by how Greninja is "tiny" as it's the same size as the other one and possibly a little bigger, i might be miss understanding you though. Line art is totes bad but this was just a test image to see what I can do and just a draft. If I make improvements would it be worth it or should we just continue with our old sprite, cause I still think that one looks really odd in that pose as it isn't in his nature IMO.

Edit: forgot to critique Megamance. I love it, just like you said we can't make any more changes to the wings it seems :( we should do more work on the eyes though, seems too green. Red should definitely be more red, not sure about that dark blue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)