ORAS Doubles OU Check's Cop Out

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
time to ride the seasonal finalist (didn't win sadly) fame train into making an rmt

(sry for no sexy art i can only doodle circles and squares)

FullRoom! This is a team that carried me through the final moments of my seasonal run and a team I feel really confortable with.

Teambuilding Process:

A long time ago, fangame introduced me to the glory of fullroom. At that time, I was really early in my mons career (?) and only really played skymin keldeo talonflame hyper offense and other shitty teams so I gave it a go, and really liked it. However, I was bad at using fanroom and felt that teams I made were too weak to amoonguss subtran, so I kinda moved away from it, until I spectated Pinoy Pwnage 's seasonal match and saw him using mega aboma/heatran/rhyperior, and really liked it. From there, I built my abomaking team, which, while rather lackluster, opened the way into more trick room teams until I ended up with this. What I really like about this team is that traditional checks to trick room, such as sub heatran, amoonguss, taunters, and bisharp/hoopa, to list a few, give me little trouble during matches.

Before you read the sets and everything, keep something in mind. This team is hyper hyper offensive. It's centered around getting trick room up, then sweeping in 4 turns to wreck as much havoc as possible, then utilizing second fake out to reset trick room to secure the game. The team struggles with/has to respect things like wide guard aegislash, breloom, and guts fighting attackers such as hariyama/conkeldurr, as well as landot late game sweeps when tr falls.

4052739537881 (Scrafty) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Head Smash
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Scrafty really holds together that theme of hyper offense. It's primary role is to fake out while helping set trick room/spread intimidate, then use a succession of nuke moves such as hjk to kill things/get out of the way for clean switches for heatran+sylveon. I originally ran fake out/knock off/drain punch/filler, but I came to like this set much more after I started using hjk as filler then eventually switching out drain punch for head smash, which does about as much as pjab/iron head to fairies but also nets kos on things like thundurus, zappy, and zard y. The reason I use this scrafty set is because it forces your opponent to respect scrafty as an attacker even outside trick room rather than just fake out support and intimidate, while also allowing you to not have to switch it out on lots of matchups.

A quick contention for why hjk is good even though I know people are going to say it's bad: Being able to get guaranteed sacs, and being able to do a play where you have scrafty+setter on the field, opp has two mons that can stop setter, so you protect setter then ohko opposing mon, is a valuable tool which has come up in loads of battles (hjk can ohko rhyperior, diancie, kyurem-black, kangaskhan, heatran, ferrothorn, and does massive damage in any neutral hits ie water types). "But check people use protect in this game how can you use hjk??" predictions. If you're drain punching into a protect that's a momentum suck anyways and it's not like you really care if your scrafty is at 50%. All in all, hjk provides scrafty with valuable damage that it really can't get anywhere else.

139583862445 (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

The really nice thing about kangaskhan on trick room is that if you use it with jellicent, barring scrappy kang you get a lead that's completely immune to fake out, which is pretty valuable. It also is a very strong mon that is relatively capable of operating outside of having trick room set already, and aboslutely demolishes inside room.

The EVs always live a keld ssword unless they're a baller and using modest. Double-Edge is just more damage, and lets you ohko keldeo while also ko'ing landot after a fake out. Hammer arm lets you ohko opposing kang, while still doing decent damage to diancie-mega.

160500643816367088 (Jellicent) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Trick Room
- Protect

Even though this is hyper offense, it's still important to have a defensive backbone setter. So, I picked jellicent. If one looks at jellicent's weaknesses, (dark, ghost, grass, electric) almost all of those are always going to be in special form, bar dark. Thus, colbur berry with as much spdef as possible makes jelilcent an extremely bulky setter. The def evs are the minimum required to live 2 talon bbirds and 2 diancie-mega storms, assuming it's mitigated by doubles spared. What jelly does is tank something, set tr, wisp/hydro something then get out of the way for your sweepers. I don't run recover because it's so important to be able to protect and bring in fake out support and because protect is a really good move and I never find any usage for recover anyways. Hydro pump is so that you can 2hko heatran through 2x lefties recovery, and because you don't need scald when you have will o wisp.

4807526976 (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Before I get into this set, let me explain why this isn't cress. The reason is: cress is shit.

Anyways, the only reason to run a psychic setter over a ghost setter is for that nice psychic stab, which reuniclus takes full advantage of. Psychic allows you to have a better chance of ohko'ing standard amoonguss spread whereas psyshock only hits char y / sylveon for a little more and psychic has more damage in general. Focus Blast lets you hit things like kang/heatran/kyurem-black, while psychic covers pretty much everything else. This set is hard walled by aegis, which is an important thing to look out for.

What really holds reuniclus together is that you can outright be willing to ignore taunt and just nuke every taunter for 70% of their hp or, on turn one, pick up a free ko.

1548008755920 (Sylveon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Sylveon is a powerful spread attacker that compliments heatran very well. Originally this slot was abomasnow which admittedly has better matchups vs rain and vs skymin, but skymin is dead and rain wasn't a enough of a popular metathreat to justify 4x fighting weaks. Sylveon was Fangame10 's suggestion, and it's worked out very well. I use life orb because I never really need psyshock/shadow ball and move flexibility is really nice and important.

591286729879 (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Heatran is the second powerful trick room sweeper, carrying eruption for extra damage. It's also a great switch-in on burns, although the most popular burner is rotom-wash which has water coverage. Heatran also has great resists, and you can will-o-wisp your own heatran with jellicent to boost its damage, letting you net eruption kos on things like landot.

Not putting shoutouts in a hide tag cuz that's lame

s/o to kamikaze17 for being a great user and helping me loads, and also giving me a team name other than FullRoom 1.1.1
s/o to Memoric for somehow making everyone suddenly nice to me and giving me 3 great games
s/o to Arcticblast for being a great tierleader
s/o to Stratos for being the best nazi and senpai
s/o to 13ulbasaur for being literally the nicest person in the world, and helping new players when I was too lazy to do it
s/o to Fangame10 for showing me what a good trick room team was, and supporting me
s/o to Croven for supporting me
s/o to n1n1 for being a great player
s/o to Yoda2798 for supporting me and being a great person
s/o to Haruno for being a great player and trying to help me prepare
s/o to ElegyOfVGC for also supporting me and helping me when I was just starting
s/o to Yellow Paint for helping me get good when I started
s/o to SpaceBass for being the new hitler
s/o to Meloettaaa for being a great member of the community
s/o to finally for being the best
s/o to deoxys speed <3
s/o to qsns for being the best meme
s/o to qwerts for giving me good osu beatmaps
s/o to GiraGoomy for going to worlds
s/o to pastelgameboy for recognizing that alt color does matter
s/o to iliketrains11 for being another reason defensive builds are shit
s/o to Nido-Rus for giving me a great seasonals match
s/o to shaian shay shay

Anyways I'm going to sleep if you have comments/suggestions/I forgot to give you a s/o / just things you think I could do or you want to fill the thread with memes I'll check this in the morning. Also if there are parts that need to be expanded on or shrunk I'll do it when I look over this again. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
alt colors are very important

but in all seriousness the team is pretty solid except I think Scrafty's moveset is stupid.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey check,

it's awesome that you were able to get so much mileage out of this team. I know you might intend to hang it up since so many people have seen it and had chances to prepare for it now, but I think you could still make some improvements to make the team even better.

I'll cut to the chase. This team is quite well put together and doesnt need any major changes; thus I'll try to patch up some slight weaknesses or inefficiencies that I see.

The biggest issue here I think is your lack of a solid setter foundation. Lack of a Taunt sponge could hurt, so Im going to suggest Mental Herb instead of Colbur Berry on Jellicent. Aside from Knock Off from Bisharp and maybe Landorus-T or Scrafty, you wont be facing many physical Dark-type attacks that would warrant Colbur Berry anyway. They wont KO you anyway, so I think the ability to bypass Taunt for even a turn is a lot more useful. For more assurance against Cress, you could also run Taunt instead of Will-o-Wisp, and that will help you against Amoonguss as well.

There are a whole bunch of other things you can try; Quick Guard instead of Knock Off on Scrafty is one of them, which helps protect against Thundurus and other priority so you can Trick Room safely, especially since noone expects Quick Guard from Scrafty. You lose Knock Off, which could be a very valuable attack to hit CM Cress, but I think between Mega Kang, Heatran, and Sylveon, you can just muscle past it.

Another thing you can try is simply CM Cress over Reuniclus. In all honesty aside from power, which a difference that Reuniclus loses after just a few boosts, there isn't much reason to use Reun over Cress. CM Cress is a lot more reliable of a TR setter, it also gives your team extra bulk and pivoting power. You lose the ability to FBlast things, but stuff like Kyurem isnt a threat to your team anyway, and MKang just KOs Reun before you can even hit it. (And isnt that what HJK is for??? hm frend??? :P)

Everything else seems pretty solid, I mean you have the tour as proof of that. Hopefully these suggestions will help you out!

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks Elyte! I'll definitely try these options, especially taunt jelly which seems very promising against amoonguss

however, quick guard can't block fake outs but it does sound very good against talonflame/taunt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)