UU Special Walls

All we know the best Special walls in UU: Grumpig and Hypno. Both have a good Special Defense Stat, and average HP, and they really can stop Special Attackers in UU. Also, they have a lot of versability in their sets.

Firstly, the most used Grumpig's set:

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Calm Mind
Substitute
Psychic
Shadow Ball / Energy Ball
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 236 Spd / 20 SpDef

It cames in a Special Sweeper, and with a couple of Calm Minds, it can really annoy Special Sweepers, and also hit hard.

On the other hand, we have Hypno:

this one is the most used:

Hypno @ Leftovers
Seismic Toss / Psychic
Thunder Wave / Hypnosis
Wish
Reflect / Light Screen
ability: Insomnia
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpDef

But it also can Nasty Plot, and use a Physical Set.

And the main question is the next:
Can they work in OU? Can they stand some Special Sweepers in OU?

I wait for your answers.

I wouldn't bet on it. There's a reason that they're UU. Compare their special walling ability to Blissey's, and they're incredibly badly outclassed.

Hypno might work as it has Insomnia and wish; however, Grumpig won't has it doesn't have any recovery move save rest.

In either cases; they are severely outclass by Cresselia who has the same typing and a similar movepool while being immune to ground.

Hypno might work as it has Insomnia and wish; however, Grumpig won't has it doesn't have any recovery move save rest.

In either cases; they are severely outclass by Cresselia who has the same typing and a similar movepool while being immune to ground.
lol cress in uu lol
but yeah, stick to using uus in uu. There's almost always a better ou counterpart.

lol cress in uu lol
Read the first post ffs.

And the main question is the next:
Anyway, Grumpig has Thick Fat. That gives it overall resistances to Fighting, Psychic, Ice and Fire. I suppose it can take a Lucario Aura Sphere, but then again so can Uxie, Mespirit, Cresselia and Hypno too. It's got a good typing for walling Jynx, but you'll need Shadow Ball and frankly Hypno is better for that too because of Insomnia, even if it takes a little more from Ice Beam, plus Hypno threatens Thunder Wave so Jynx cannot simply Calm Mind away.

Really, it's hard to think up a use for a Special wall that only has Thick Fat to stand out in trade for so many sexy utility moves in standard...

Hypno, however, has great potential because of Insomnia, Wish, Thunder Wave, Hypnosis, Calm Mind, Baton Pass, Reflect and Light Screen and such. It simply has the movepool and stats to do something, and half of these moves tend to be not present in the pixie movepools.

Hypno might but not Grumpig.Muk is another UU Special Wall and it can work in UU as a Trick Room Curse sweeper.

There's always gyradoses assuming they use waterfall and EQ as their only attacks.
Hypno is actually probably the best breloom counter in the game besides bannete, so i guess he has some use in that regard.

They can work in OU, but the reason they are UU is because there are better options than either of them. Between the two, I think Hypno is the most effective in OU.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hypno is actually probably the best breloom counter in the game besides bannete
Banette counters Breloom roughly 0% of the time. Toxic Orb throws Will-o-Wisp out the window, Seed Bomb is an easy 2HKO (or OHKO with Stealth Rock) and Banette is slower leaving him vulnerable to a horrible death to SubSeed.

Oh wait, he has Insomia though. I guess Breloom just faints as soon as Spore fails. D'oh.

Max HP Hypno is also 2HKO'd whilst his STAB Psychic fails to OHKO Breloom.

Anyway...

Grumpig and Hypno will have a limited effect as far as special walling in OU is concerned. Gengar and PorygonZ, two of the biggest special threats, pack super-effective attacks in Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse. Alakazam does the same, Mismagius will Calm Mind x6 if you stay in, and Raikou forces you to use Seismic Toss.

Grumpig can wall Heatran to a degree and both of them could switch into Lucario Fighting attacks, but are gonna cry if he uses Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse. In conclusion...what exactly are they walling?

Crobat is the best breloom counter >_>

Taunt stops spore and sub, 4x resists both stab attacks, roosts off damage and keeps a 2x resist, OHKOs with brave bird and has Air Slash if you want it.

Crobat is the best breloom counter >_>

Taunt stops spore and sub, 4x resists both stab attacks, roosts off damage and keeps a 2x resist, OHKOs with brave bird and has Air Slash if you want it.
Not to mention beating Heracross too if you can predict.

Gardevoir is a good wall, thouhg i'm not sure if it's UU.

It gets Calm Mind, Will O Wisp to stop physical hitters, and Wish. It also hits hard with an excellent special movepool.

Gard is BL according to the current tier list.

I wouldn't really say that Crobat counters Breloom, but it might be able to wall it with enough defense investment (assuming, of course, that Breloom isn't using Spore). If Breloom Stone Edge's on the switch-in, Crobat is gonna be hurting (though I'm not sure if it OHKO's).

IMO, the best Breloom counter is a restalking Weezing.

>_>

I've used mantine on all my teams and he is a god to any special sweeper void of thunderbolt as people who have fought be have seen.

Gard is BL according to the current tier list.

I wouldn't really say that Crobat counters Breloom, but it might be able to wall it with enough defense investment (assuming, of course, that Breloom isn't using Spore). If Breloom Stone Edge's on the switch-in, Crobat is gonna be hurting (though I'm not sure if it OHKO's).

IMO, the best Breloom counter is a restalking Weezing.

>_>
I'd say Crobat is a good counter, since Stone Edge on Breloom is rare (or at least all of them that I've seen). Most of them just carry the standard FP and Seed Bomb. Focus Punch from max attack Adamant Breloom against Jolly 4HP/0DEF Crobat only does 30.45% at MAX. Seed Bomb does 16.35% at max. Even if SR is up, Crobat can Roost of the damage.

You don't really have to have a complex strategy to beat breloom IMO. Just switch to your status absorber when you predict a spore and then to a defensive fighting resist like gliscor.

I'd say Crobat is a good counter, since Stone Edge on Breloom is rare (or at least all of them that I've seen). Most of them just carry the standard FP and Seed Bomb. Focus Punch from max attack Adamant Breloom against Jolly 4HP/0DEF Crobat only does 30.45% at MAX. Seed Bomb does 16.35% at max. Even if SR is up, Crobat can Roost of the damage.
Really? I always use Stone Edge on my Breloom, and while I haven't seen many others, it seems like a sensible move choice (given that both fighting and grass are resisted by flying, but Fighting/Rock gets quite good coverage). It's his strongest option against Gengar as well, IIRC.

Really? I always use Stone Edge on my Breloom, and while I haven't seen many others, it seems like a sensible move choice (given that both fighting and grass are resisted by flying, but Fighting/Rock gets quite good coverage). It's his strongest option against Gengar as well, IIRC.
I guess. But it seems like Spore/Sub/FP/Seed Bomb is the best choice for me, since Sub helps Breloom's survivability, and helps ease prediction. Plus it helps get off FP's and a lot of times this set saves me in the end game since I won't die if they wake up in the middle of an FP.

I say noctowl.

Typing isn't the best, but he can mess up most pokemon.

Like I said, Modest Raichu's Thunderbolt is a potential 3HKO with leftovers. And with hypnosis and roost, well, he can offer great utility and wall very well.

To those who say "zOMG itZ W34k 2 bLotb3aM!!!"
So? There are a good amount of special walls (and tanks) who are weak to the bolt-beam combo (hence why it's so common). Most are weak to one or the other. And unless the other special walls are switching into Choiced pokemon, it doesn't matter which hits Noctowl.

Noctowl can turn tons of non-STABBED super effective attacks into 3HKO's.
And insomnia and ghost/ground immunity gives a good ability to switch in.

Edit: Why the fuck are you guys talking about breloom? He's OU, and he's physical.
Special walls aren't meant to talk physical hits.
Get the fuck off of it, forget that stupid mushroom.

Okay for the record.

Breloom being in OU means nothing as we're talking about special walls to be used in OU.

Even if those Psychics can switch into Breloom, that's besides the point of their purpose.

In theory, you can't switch anything into Breloom and say "Taunt so it can't Spore" because it'll just Spore on the switch most likely.

How can Cresselia with Sleep Talk not be known as the most universal 'best' Breloom switch in, anyways.

Back on subject to the UU walls for OU.

You're probably better off using random stuff with good resistences rather than a straight up 'wall', especially being a Psychic type. If anything, Gardevoir/Gallade are "BL" and have decent enough Spdef along with HP and can Wish.

You could try an amnesia wailord, I guess. Running leftovers and protect you can deal with some special attackers in UU. Still leaves room for bodyslam and waterfall as well, which is a decent attacking combination. Doesn't like being grassknotted so much, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)